Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Benny the Snake posted:

Okay I just talked with my uncle The Captain and him and my other uncle Bob told me that City of Chino should call me for a test if I'm going on for the next step. So either I get a call for a test or a letter in the mail saying "We're sorry". Right now, I'm hoping it's the latter. I've been talking to HR and they told me I should've gotten a response by now. So I'm hoping they sent out the rejections first.

And if you're wondering why I'm calling him "The Captain" it's because he has a rather distinctive name.

Benny go back over this post and figure out your major usage mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
That's a great post cause I loving hate context.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
Well now I feel like an rear end in a top hat. I used to take SSRIs , and they do take a while to become effective. Good on you for getting the ball rolling.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

BrainParasite posted:

Benny go back over this post and figure out your major usage mistake.

I count at least five minor grammatical errors and one major usage mistake.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
You want the rejection letter?
E: and the landscaping gig?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Fixed it. And no, the landscaping gig never happened. Meanwhile I have an interview for an internship on Wednesday and there's a local marketing company who's hiring. I'm going to call the firm Monday and swing by first thing.

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana
No. I mean it's one thing to be "ah hell I'm not posting professionally" but jeez don't say it's fixed and then let this happen:

Benny the Snake posted:

Okay I just talked with my uncle The Captain my other uncle Bob. Bothme that City of Chino should call me for a test if I'm going on for the next step. That or I get letter in the mail saying "We're Sorry" and right now I'm hoping it's the latter. I've been talking to HR and they told me I should've gotten a response by now, so I'm hoping they sent out the rejections first.

And if you're wondering why I'm calling my uncle"The Captain", it's because he has a rather distinctive name.
Benny the Snake hosed around with this message at Aug 17, 2013 around 20:23

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Benny the Snake posted:

Okay I just talked with my uncle The Captain my other uncle Bob. Bothme that City of Chino should call me for a test if I'm going on for the next step. That or I get letter in the mail saying "We're Sorry" and right now I'm hoping it's the latter. I've been talking to HR and they told me I should've gotten a response by now, so I'm hoping they sent out the rejections first.

And if you're wondering why I'm calling my uncle"The Captain", it's because he has a rather distinctive name.
When you think, is it as though there is a particular sensation in your head?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Accretionist posted:

When you think, is it as though there is a particular sensation in your head?
Besides the incessant ticking?

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Benny the Snake posted:

Okay I just talked with my uncle The Captain my other uncle Bob. Both of them told me that City of Chino should call me for a test if I'm going on for the next step. That or I get letter in the mail saying "We're Sorry" and right now I'm hoping it's the latter. I've been talking to HR and they told me I should've gotten a response by now, so I'm hoping they sent out the rejections first.

And if you're wondering why I'm calling my uncle "The Captain", it's because he has a rather distinctive name.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Wait, do you not want the City of Chino job now? I am so confused.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Good luck.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Benny the Snake posted:

Okay I just talked with my uncle The Captain my other uncle Bob. Both of them told me that City of Chino should call me for a test if I'm going on for the next step. That or I get letter in the mail saying "We're Sorry" and right now I'm hoping it's the latter. I've been talking to HR and they told me I should've gotten a response by now, so I'm hoping they sent out the rejections first.

And if you're wondering why I'm calling my uncle "The Captain", it's because he has a rather distinctive name.

It might be worthwhile to think about other city- or county- jobs that would fit something that you think you could do. Don't get discouraged, though as others have already said, based on how you worded this it now seems like you're rooting to not want the typist job anyway - I guess maybe you're realizing that you might not be ready for it, and that's good too! It would suck even worse if you got that job, and then got fired for not being able to meet the needs of the position.

Please keep posting updates on your job hunting. I know a lot of people are dogpiling you, but there are people that genuinely want to see you succeed in here as well. Stay positive!

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Colbear posted:

I count at least five minor grammatical errors and one major usage mistake.

Honestly who cares at this point? He knows his writing isn't good and you just look like dumb word police.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

ClemenSalad posted:

Honestly who cares at this point? He knows his writing isn't good and you just look like dumb word police.

This. I don't understand why there are still grammarposts here, gently caress off.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

Jeffrey posted:

This. I don't understand why there are still grammarposts here, gently caress off.

I'm honestly confused as to whether he wants the city job or not.

Fugue Stater
Oct 17, 2012

Jeffrey posted:

Normally I'd agree with you, but Benny has still recently been pursuing editing positions/internships. Pointing this stuff out may be useful as a nudge to not waste time and energy pursuing such a path, at least until he really firms up his skills. And it seems that multiple reminders are often what it takes to get him to do things, which makes the grammar police thing at least somewhat relevant.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Fugue Stater posted:

Normally I'd agree with you, but Benny has still recently been pursuing editing positions/internships. Pointing this stuff out may be useful as a nudge to not waste time and energy pursuing such a path, at least until he really firms up his skills. And it seems that multiple reminders are often what it takes to get him to do things, which makes the grammar police thing at least somewhat relevant.

Not to mention that the resume he spent $100+ of his nonexistent money on was explicitly for writing positions.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ClemenSalad posted:

I'm by no means a grammar expert but that previous post about his uncle(uncles?) didn't make any sense.

Benny the Snake posted:

Okay I just talked with my uncle The Captain my other uncle Bob.
I have no idea what he's trying to say here.

Benny, just take a second to proof read your posts. They don't have to be perfect.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I know the op has had alleged interactions with other goons in real life and they confirmed his story, but that last post/aftermath is too much of a joke for me to wholeheartedly believe that this is real.

"My options success or failure, I hope it's the latter."

Hey I think you may have made an error.

" Oh sorry: ' My options are success or failure, I hope it's the latter.' All better? :v: "

Like that is too formulaic a joke.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Benny, I'm sorry to have blasted you up and down the thread. I've been treating you like a "young professional" which is something you aren't quite ready for. You're almost there. You could be there. Prior to your AIM pen-pal vouching for you, I was making the same assumptions that other posters had made.

Please, talk with your therapist about organization, critical thinking and how to prioritize. I'm starting to feel like there's one chink in the chain that's broken, which is totally loving up the entire link between yourself and a completed, organized lifestyle.

I feel like your overwhelmed by everything. You lack the skills to pick information, pile it up, take every piece and sort it into order of importance.

Keep at the therapy. Don't worry too much about finding a job. You need to fix yourself, first. Get on disability, if you need the money to pay for meds. You deserve both the time and government funding required to get your life back in order, so you can become a contributing member to society, in the near future.

I'm gonna not post anything job-related anymore. It's completely pointless. I promise, if you dedicate yourself and stay open with your therapist, you'll look back on all these posts one day and think "I can't believe I replied to X post instead of Y!"

With hard work, brutal introspection, practice and repetition, you'll one day feel like everything you need to "deal with" is beneath your feet, instead of crushing down on top of your head. It's not an easy concept to describe, but I hope you can sorta see what I mean.

Good luck, man. Don't worry about success/failure right now. Just work at improvement and establishing structure, in your life.

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!

Huntersoninski posted:

I know the op has had alleged interactions with other goons in real life and they confirmed his story, but that last post/aftermath is too much of a joke for me to wholeheartedly believe that this is real.

Yeah. I don't think he started out trolling, but at this point he's just loving with everyone.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Benny the Snake posted:

Fixed it there's a local marketing company who's hiring. I'm going to call the firm Monday and swing by first thing.

By marketing, are we talking an actual advertising/marketing firm, or one of those places where they call it "marketing," but really you stand in front of a grocery store shilling crap items for charity? You can usually tell by how detailed the ad is, the less detailed it is, the more likely it's a "marketing" company. Google the name, atleast, before swinging by.

If it's the latter, take the time you were going to spend with them and apply for a job at Best Buy or Jamba Juice or something. The "standing in front of a grocery store" marketing job kills people far more hardy than yourself, and it becomes just another thing to not put on the resume.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

in_cahoots posted:

I'm honestly confused as to whether he wants the city job or not.

I feel like you and I are the only ones in this thread that know the definition of "latter."

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BrainParasite posted:

I feel like you and I are the only ones in this thread that know the definition of "latter."

Latter Theory is just how lonely losers justify not being able to get a girlfriend.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Angela Christine posted:

Latter Theory is just how lonely losers justify not being able to get a girlfriend.

Man, what will those MRA people come up with next?

Edit: I can't believe wikipedia doesn't have an article on ladder theory.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

BrainParasite posted:

I know the definition of latter; I just don't understand why he says he wants the job and then says he's hoping to get the rejection letter, and then in the next sentence he's hoping they send out the rejections first. :psyduck:

Benny, you're allowed to look for other jobs even if you haven't gotten your rejection from this one yet, if that's what you're worrying about.

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!

AlbieQuirky posted:

I know the definition of latter; I just don't understand why he says he wants the job and then says he's hoping to get the rejection letter, and then in the next sentence he's hoping they send out the rejections first. :psyduck:

Benny, you're allowed to look for other jobs even if you haven't gotten your rejection from this one yet, if that's what you're worrying about.

No, he wants this job. He misused the word "latter." He hopes he gets the call for the next phase, not the rejection letter. He hopes that the reason he hasn't received a communication from them is that they send the rejection letters earlier and then do the acceptance calls. This would indicate that the reason he hasn't gotten any communication is that he's in the latter group.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

lexan posted:

No, he wants this job. He misused the word "latter." He hopes he gets the call for the next phase, not the rejection letter. He hopes that the reason he hasn't received a communication from them is that they send the rejection letters earlier and then do the acceptance calls. This would indicate that the reason he hasn't gotten any communication is that he's in the latter group.

I had honestly not considered the possibility that he had confused "latter" and "former". How do people do that? Did they not learn "former comes first, and latter goes last" in elementary school?

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

AlbieQuirky posted:

I had honestly not considered the possibility that he had confused "latter" and "former". How do people do that? Did they not learn "former comes first, and latter goes last" in elementary school?

That's why Huntersoninski was saying Benny must be trolling at this point. It's too obvious an error. If he's not trolling, the school that gave him an English degree should be stripped of its accreditation.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

lexan posted:

That's why Huntersoninski was saying Benny must be trolling at this point. It's too obvious an error.
Given that an SA poster who's been around for awhile vouches for Benny, I'm back to giving him the benefit of the doubt.

As to confusing former/latter, I sometimes make exactly that sort of error. It isn't that I don't know the difference; it's that sometimes when I'm working fast, or am myself very tired, words mix up in my head. I can type "latte" for "later" or "former" for "later" or "ladder" for "latter". Things just get mixed up in the wiring somehow. Typing "latter" when you mean "former" doesn't seem out of the ballpark to me.

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

In itself, you're right, it's not a particularly noteworthy error. But as part of a broad pattern of errors, it indicates that if the guy is for real, he's not qualified for a professional writing or editing job. And as Huntersoninski noted, the way he presented the supposed correction just seems like a deliberate punchline.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I agree with what cname said: thinking about his writing shouldn't be Benny's highest priority right now. The work with his psych is the most important thing he could be doing, and it's great that he's begun it.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
So are vivid nightmares common on anti-depressants or mood stabilizers?

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 19, 2013

cucurbit
Feb 23, 2009

Benny the Snake posted:

So are vivid nightmares common on anti-depressants or mood stabilizers?

Yes; they may fade with time, but overall more vivid and memorable dreams (including nightmares), is pretty normal. I'd mention it during any doctor/therapist appointments you have though, as IANAD and they'll know better than anyone on the internet does about how normal your side effects are.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

cucurbit posted:

Yes; they may fade with time, but overall more vivid and memorable dreams (including nightmares), is pretty normal. I'd mention it during any doctor/therapist appointments you have though, as IANAD and they'll know better than anyone on the internet does about how normal your side effects are.
Yeah I'm going to talk to my therapist and psychiatrist about this.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Benny the Snake posted:

Yeah I'm going to talk to my therapist and psychiatrist about this.

This should be your motto for the foreseeable future, about anything unusual. Particularly now, as it's early days and your brain chemistry's still trying to unfuck itself; if they need to make adjustments to your medications, they can, but only if they know that something's going on.

Kingdom of Sin
Feb 27, 2005

O frabjous day
I'd just like to say that I understand the healthy skepticism some of you still seem to have. I can only tell you that if Benny is trolling you in this thread, he has REALLY been pulling the long con on me. Everything he has posted here has been consistent with what he has told me over time on AIM. He has also given me enough information about himself (profiles, pictures, resumes, short stories, etc.) that I am certain this is his natural state. I can't tell you how he regards this thread, although I think he said in here before that he was hoping it would go away if he ignored it long enough, so that may account for his evasiveness in answering your questions. I also don't know why he makes so many writing errors that would mortify any freshman, but my theory is that it's due to ADD and/or some kind of learning disability. It's been demonstrated here that his writing improves significantly if he focuses on it enough.

I get that it's comforting to imagine we live in a world where nobody has a mental disorder that severely inhibits their functioning in life, but we all know that's not the case. Benny is many things-- logical leaper, metaphor maker, 66 WPM typist, weaver of dreams-- but he is not a troll.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Kingdom of Sin posted:

I get that it's comforting to imagine we live in a world where nobody has a mental disorder that severely inhibits their functioning in life, but we all know that's not the case. Benny is many things-- logical leaper, metaphor maker, 66 WPM typist, weaver of dreams-- but he is not a troll.

Its not so much that I find it impossible someone has such a terrible mental disorder, or that it's comforting to imagine he doesn't, but rather the fact that these last few posts have been some Abbott and Costello poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingdom of Sin
Feb 27, 2005

O frabjous day

Huntersoninski posted:

Its not so much that I find it impossible someone has such a terrible mental disorder, or that it's comforting to imagine he doesn't, but rather the fact that these last few posts have been some Abbott and Costello poo poo.

I think it's possible that I'm actually completely inured to this kind of thing from him, because I'm not getting the joke besides there having been a really poorly-written post that in no way seemed unusual for him.

Edit: Oh, I didn't see the link to the "correction." I really don't know. Mysterious ways, man.

Kingdom of Sin fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 19, 2013

• Locked thread