Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Can anyone tell me how to scale this sushi rice recipe: http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Sushi_Basics

It is written for 1 cup of rice. I want to know how to scale it for 2 cups or 4 cups of rice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Am I supposed to do something with my molcajete before using it? I just bought a new one (granite I think) and used it to make saag, but I can't eat it 'cause its full of grit. What gives? (I think I'll just find a way to eat the saag since its delicious; I guess some minerals would be good for me.)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

PatMarshall posted:

Am I supposed to do something with my molcajete before using it? I just bought a new one (granite I think) and used it to make saag, but I can't eat it 'cause its full of grit. What gives? (I think I'll just find a way to eat the saag since its delicious; I guess some minerals would be good for me.)

You have to season it.

One way is:

quote:

1. Soak the molcajete and the grinding stone every day.
2. Scrub it with a very stiff brush after soaking 24 hours.
3. Repeat this treatment for three to four days assuring you scrub it with stiff brush each day.
If you still have pieces of grit, repeat the soaking for another two days.
4. Place some rice in the molcajete and spend time grinding the rice and you will notice that some of the rice will be imbedded in the molcajete after scrubbing which is perfectly fine.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Ha ha! That would explain it, thanks!

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
So I decided to make myself stuffed peppers today and they came out great except that the pepper itself was still (while warm) had a rather raw mouth feel. Is that how it is supposed to be? I don't think its supposed to be soggy but any suggestions?

Edit:

Also how do you calculate calories in home made bread?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Edit:

Also how do you calculate calories in home made bread?

I don't know anything about your pepper problem, but as for the bread I would assume if you know the ingredients it would be rather easy.

1 cup of flour can be around 500 calories.
Figure out your other ingredients and do the math, divided by the fraction of what you eat at a time, I guess?

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

I don't know anything about your pepper problem, but as for the bread I would assume if you know the ingredients it would be rather easy.

1 cup of flour can be around 500 calories.
Figure out your other ingredients and do the math, divided by the fraction of what you eat at a time, I guess?

Huh, that's all? Hrm I woulda figured yeast growth would have added like extra calories or something, easy enough, thanks.

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
I made some pizza dough about a week ago and left it wrapped in plastic wrap in the fridge, where it's continued fermenting a bit, and now I've noticed a few little black spots (like coffee grounds) on the outside. Should I chuck it? I wouldn't be surprised if I had a little bit of coffee or something made its way in, but I'm not sure if I'm risking a small stomach ache or something serious

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Wait a few days to see if the black spots grow!

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
Got a question about making chili with actual cuts of meat instead of ground beef:

What is the trick to making the meat tender? I've been using stew beef and whether I make it in a crockpot or on the stove the meat just kind of stays in cubes and is a little tough / chewy. It tastes good, but the texture is pretty off. When I see pictures of other people's chili it looks like the meat is all shredded and delicious, but I have no idea how to get it to that point. Shredding it by hand would take me forever since I'd be chopping it into individual strands, so there has to be something I'm missing here.

Am I using a bad cut of meat? Should I not brown the stew beef beforehand? Should I be cooking it way longer than I think is necessary?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Honey Badger posted:

Got a question about making chili with actual cuts of meat instead of ground beef:

What is the trick to making the meat tender? I've been using stew beef and whether I make it in a crockpot or on the stove the meat just kind of stays in cubes and is a little tough / chewy. It tastes good, but the texture is pretty off. When I see pictures of other people's chili it looks like the meat is all shredded and delicious, but I have no idea how to get it to that point. Shredding it by hand would take me forever since I'd be chopping it into individual strands, so there has to be something I'm missing here.

Am I using a bad cut of meat? Should I not brown the stew beef beforehand? Should I be cooking it way longer than I think is necessary?

How long are you cooking for?

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Use rough cuts of meat and cook it forever. Brown the meat beforehand, to avoid it being grey and not as tasty.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Huh, that's all? Hrm I woulda figured yeast growth would have added like extra calories or something, easy enough, thanks.

Yeast eat sugar and produce carbon dioxide and alcohol. Carbon dioxide is a zero-calorie food and the alcohol will have less chemical energy than the sugar (hence the yeast eating one and excreting the other in order to live and reproduce). All of this is probably irrelevant at human scale compared to all the calories in the flour and other ingredients.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Yeah, you are either using super lean meat that gets tough from overcooking, or not cooking nearly long enough.

For some reason, my local grocery store sells chunks of sirloin as "stew meat" and it confuses me every time I walk in. There's like zero connective tissue or fat in it and it would probably suck rear end in a stew, unless you dropped it in at the very end I guess.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeast eat sugar and produce carbon dioxide and alcohol. Carbon dioxide is a zero-calorie food and the alcohol will have less chemical energy than the sugar (hence the yeast eating one and excreting the other in order to live and reproduce). All of this is probably irrelevant at human scale compared to all the calories in the flour and other ingredients.

oh, okay cool thanks.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.

Breaky posted:

How long are you cooking for?

Usually do like 4-5 hours, either in the crockpot on low or simmering on the stove. The stew meat itself isn't super lean, but I'm not sure exactly how much fat I should be looking for.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I'd have to agree it's the meat. Sometimes shops sell blade as stew meat, it gets tough after a few hours, suits roasting more than stewing as there's not enough connective tissue in it. See if you can find something labeled as chuck or shin rather than "stew meat", if not, go to a butcher.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Yeah, its probably the meat, but if not, try extending the cooking time by 2 hours more and see what's up. Otherwise, get something with a little more marbling / connective tissue etc.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Honey Badger posted:

Usually do like 4-5 hours, either in the crockpot on low or simmering on the stove. The stew meat itself isn't super lean, but I'm not sure exactly how much fat I should be looking for.

Have a look as this site http://www.themainmeal.com.au/Learn/Plate/Tools_and_Apps/Cuts_Chart edit: Direct link to the chuck section http://tinyurl.com/krb697o

Scroll down and see that blade roast, even though if you look at a picture of a cow and the cuts/primals and notice the blade comes from the area called "chuck", it is not "chuck".
Good chuck is from the neck, not the bit above the shoulders/start of the back.
Compare the "blade" cuts and roasts that you see on that site (which they recommend for casseroles 1-2hr cook times), and compare it to the lovely looking chuck steak, which is what you want for anything cooked for more than 2 hrs.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 18, 2013

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I'm making macaroons for the first time and looking for any advice from those who have made them before. It seems like a piping bag would have been a good idea, instead of a regular sandwich bag. Any other bright ideas to make things go easier next time?

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Anya posted:

I'm making macaroons for the first time and looking for any advice from those who have made them before. It seems like a piping bag would have been a good idea, instead of a regular sandwich bag. Any other bright ideas to make things go easier next time?

If you don't want to shell out for a piping bag, use a heavy duty gallon freezer bag, I use them and they are sturdy enough to deal with it, just get the piping bit to stab through one of the bottom corners.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
I have an annoying issue I'm trying to solve with leftover meats. I often cook meats that have a reasonable fat content in my pressure cooker, and so the leftover liquid will have a fair amount of liquid fats suspended in it. When I put the meat in a container in the fridge, I don't want it to dry out so I will pour some of the liquid in with it. This results in a really gross chilled layer of fat that I DO NOT WANT congealing on top.

I really have no clue how to get the fat out of the liquid before I put it in the container. The only idea I've had so far was putting the liquid in a large measuring cup, allowing the fat to float, then attempting to pour it off. I haven't tried that yet but was planning to do so the next time I use my pressure cooker. Does anyone have any better techniques for getting the fat out?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Powdered Toast Man posted:

I have an annoying issue I'm trying to solve with leftover meats. I often cook meats that have a reasonable fat content in my pressure cooker, and so the leftover liquid will have a fair amount of liquid fats suspended in it. When I put the meat in a container in the fridge, I don't want it to dry out so I will pour some of the liquid in with it. This results in a really gross chilled layer of fat that I DO NOT WANT congealing on top.

I really have no clue how to get the fat out of the liquid before I put it in the container. The only idea I've had so far was putting the liquid in a large measuring cup, allowing the fat to float, then attempting to pour it off. I haven't tried that yet but was planning to do so the next time I use my pressure cooker. Does anyone have any better techniques for getting the fat out?

You're on the right track. You can usually skim off the extra fat from the top of the cooking liquid when it's all done. Just take a spoon or a ladel and gently go over the top of the liquid and start spooning it out. You will get a bit of the actual cooking liquid along with it but it'll help cut down on leftover fat.

That said, you could just let it congeal in the fridge and then pick it off yourself afterwards. It's a common enough thing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Honey Badger posted:

Buy beef shin, its easily the best stew meat

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

If you don't want to shell out for a piping bag, use a heavy duty gallon freezer bag, I use them and they are sturdy enough to deal with it, just get the piping bit to stab through one of the bottom corners.

Did that, didn't think about using a piping tip, which made my first batch random looking. Will use a tip next time.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Bananas. How ripe is too ripe? I just opened one up, intending to chop it and freeze it. It's VERY soft, caramel colored and smells faintly of brandy. Should I toss it or is it good to go?

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Anya posted:

Did that, didn't think about using a piping tip, which made my first batch random looking. Will use a tip next time.

Yeah piping tip would do you a huge favor, and you would need one anyways for a piping bag (Unless you get one of the ones with a tip permanently attached and I honestly do not like those, they're hard to really clean and you usually end up with stuff inside that you can't get out)

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011

angor posted:

Bananas. How ripe is too ripe? I just opened one up, intending to chop it and freeze it. It's VERY soft, caramel colored and smells faintly of brandy. Should I toss it or is it good to go?

That's perfect for baked goods and smoothies, one trick you can use to make it a little less messy is partially freeze it in the peel and then remove it when it has firmed up a bit. In addition to making things with it also try just eating a slice of it frozen and plain, not going to say it's ice cream but it's sweet and good.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
What's a good way to cook falafel?

I made some as per directions someone posted on this forum a while back (using raw, soaked chickpeas, no binder, etc) and I ended up shallow frying them with coconut oil. They turned out alright, I suppose, but frying them was a goddamn mess and the kitchen was grossly smoky for a while. There has to be a better way to do this, or I just screwed up really badly.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
By not using coconut oil? A quick wiki search tells me it's smoke point is 177C, about 10C below olive oil!
Edit: I usually fry things between 160-180C so use an oil that has a smoke point above that.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 19, 2013

WhoIsYou
Jan 28, 2009

Anya posted:

Buy a box of these and a set of these. Also worth grabbing a stack of flat parchment to make all your baking a bit easier.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Fo3 posted:

By not using coconut oil? A quick wiki search tells me it's smoke point is 177C, about 10C below olive oil!
Edit: I usually fry things between 160-180C so use an oil that has a smoke point above that.

I honestly thought coconut oil had a higher smoke point than that. That must be the problem.

Hey Girl
Sep 24, 2004

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

What's a good way to cook falafel?

I made some as per directions someone posted on this forum a while back (using raw, soaked chickpeas, no binder, etc) and I ended up shallow frying them with coconut oil. They turned out alright, I suppose, but frying them was a goddamn mess and the kitchen was grossly smoky for a while. There has to be a better way to do this, or I just screwed up really badly.

Falafel aren't the same if you bake them so frying is really the way to go.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

It's not the same, but it's very good in it's own right. I make baked falafel at least once a month.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Uncomfortable question ahead:

I cannot make and eat beans without uncomfortable gas being an end result. They're delicious but oh my god, I cannot go to work without feeling shame. Canned, dried, in chili, in cassoulet, in soup, all bad, but it's only when I make it myself.

With canned beans, I rinse them until the water runs clear. With dried, I soak them over night in water. Both are cooked in the serving liquid for 2-3 hours. What can I do better? I want to eat these cheap, delicious things more often.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
With all beans? Are some worse than others? Might just be a matter of finding a bean variety that agrees with you better.

Tried doing a quick soak with dried beans (boil for 10 min, then soak in the boiled water for an hour), then rinse. It might get more 'indigestible proteins' out before cooking.

Also 'asafoetida' or 'hing' spice is known to help.

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello

Powdered Toast Man posted:

These work wonders:http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-4-Cup-Separator/dp/B0002YTGIQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376920565&sr=8-1
You let it settle out a little and the fat floats to the top, then you just pour out the delicious juice until you see some fat coming down the spigot.
OR
Once the fat layer has solidified in the fridge, just take it off and get rid of it. I would use it to roast/fry potatoes or something. It is full of flavor.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
So i know pepper jelly is a thing that exists, but I've never had it and for some reason I really want to try it but I have no idea what to do with it... Put it on toast? Meat? In my coffee? What do people use it for?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

FishBulb posted:

So i know pepper jelly is a thing that exists, but I've never had it and for some reason I really want to try it but I have no idea what to do with it... Put it on toast? Meat? In my coffee? What do people use it for?

I like to spread it on brie and then pop the whole thing in a very hot oven for a few minutes until it gets gooey. It's a big hit at parties with some crostini or crackers. The more traditional Southern accompaniment is cream cheese. It's also really good as a glaze for pork.

And yeah, some people just spread it on toast and eat it, or make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with it. Some of what you use it for depends on how sweet/acid/hot your particular jar of jelly is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

FishBulb posted:

I've made mint jalapeno jelly that is loving amazing on lamb, and delicious on other meats.

My brother, when we were younger, tried to trick me by using a similar jelly as the main ingredient of a PB&J but I smelled it a mile off. :smug: It tasted a bit like the afterfeel of mouthwash. :argh:

You could eat it with cheese - I've had some of that baked brie stuff with pepper jelly and it was delicious. It's really good with goat cheese, too. From all that it'd probably taste great in a grilled cheese sandwich and hamburgers or as a salad dressing (fry up a bit of garlic and ginger and whisk in a few spoonfuls of jelly and some rice wine vinegar and simmer a few minutes).

I guess you could fold it into some softened cream cheese to make a dip of sorts?

I know my mom used to drizzle some type of pepper jelly over her ice cream, I figure it's sweet enough to pair up decently with certain types. I had an ex girlfriend who made a jelly glaze out of the stuff she used over brownies that was actually pretty good.

I've eaten it with cake and as a topping alongside strawberry shortcake..