Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Tamiya putty is pretty good, but nothing beats Gunze Mr. Surfacer 1000 (in the bottle) for light seam-filling. Run a bit along the seam with a toothpick, let cure, sand lightly: most seams will vanish on the first attempt. It's also good for filling various surface imperfections such as sink marks, and can even be built up to an extent. One bottle will last you drat near forever, too.

Got my Gundam 3.0 today – box is not exactly packed to the brim, fewer parts than I expected – will probably wash the runners tonight and start building tomorrow. Or maybe I'll just throw it in the closet to molder with the other dozen-odd unbuilt kits I've accrued over the last couple of years. Who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
What're you going to do with the box? The box art is probably the best I've seen on a master grade in a long time. It's probably fair if I mention I don't like most box art for Master Grades.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
At least they're not all CGI anymore.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
In any case, I think I'll actually pop the box art for the 3.0 up on my wall somewhere.

Anyone try out the hobby base hands? I just ordered a couple sets, Zeon and EFSF style, to mess around with. I'm hoping they might work out well as substitutes for the new MG hands.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
I've only used the 1/144 ones. They look really good but otherwise they're just alright. I had issues with joints either being way too tight or too lose and fingers popping out. I used them on the Gelgoog I posted a couple pages back.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I'm not that impressed with the 3.0's box art. They went with some sort of weird, blotchy, almost marbled look for the rendering and I can't say I care for it. It's not realistic, it's not exactly stylized, it's just off. The composition is definitely stunning, though: there is a real sense of vastness and altitude and, dare I say, a truly epic feel to it. Still, taken as a whole it is not particularly attractive to look at.

I'm also thinking some sort of aftermarket hands may be called for - the included units are the same as the Nu ver.Ka's and almost certainly oversized for this kit - but it remains to be seen whether it'll be all that noticeable on the finished piece.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Aug 13, 2013

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

muike posted:

In any case, I think I'll actually pop the box art for the 3.0 up on my wall somewhere.

Anyone try out the hobby base hands? I just ordered a couple sets, Zeon and EFSF style, to mess around with. I'm hoping they might work out well as substitutes for the new MG hands.

There's always the Builders Parts 1/100 Federation hands which are official Bandai ones too.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah I almost grabbed some of those too, but I wasn't sure if I was as interested in them. I'll grab them when the MG Ball ver Ka gets its rerelease.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I don't suppose anyone knows of an online repository of assembly manuals, do they? I'm trying my hand at one of these things and it didn't come with the pamphlet.

Unless I missed that link in the OP...

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fix posted:

I don't suppose anyone knows of an online repository of assembly manuals, do they? I'm trying my hand at one of these things and it didn't come with the pamphlet.

dalong.net often has them scanned. Check the Information tab on the kit page.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fix posted:

Got a name/kit number/brand etc, maybe someone can link you to it specifically?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Captain Invictus posted:

Got a name/kit number/brand etc, maybe someone can link you to it specifically?

Er... Yeah. It's a 1:100 HG Serpent Custom.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
You might be slightly out of luck then. I'll take a quick peek, but those kits are pretty standard clamshell construction as far as I remember, so you can't go too wrong without the manual.

e: here you go!! http://loveray.blogspot.com/2009/12/ghd-ng-serpent-custom-information.html

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

If there's one thing I've learned it's never to underestimate my ability to screw these kinds of things up.

E: well poo poo, ain't you rad? Thanks!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Man you can't do any worse than a 10 year old with a pair of nail clippers who has to replace one of the arms on his shenlong with the scorpion tail cannon because he's massively retarded.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Hey, thanks for the help. I got it built, and it was a pretty good time. It feels a bit flimsy, so I may be interested in getting a bit more of an advanced kit and monoposing it up, seeing what my paint options are, but that felt like hobby time well spent, so yaaaay. I've got another 144 kit to do now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wait, is that the Serpent Custom kit from like 15 years ago? If so, you could do soooo much better, Fix.

In fact, if you want, I can sell you a Master Grade EZ-8 or RX-79 that's been sitting in my closet, unassembled.

I've assembled a LOT of Gunpla and these two are among my favorite builds. They're big, they're burly, and they are just a blast to assemble. They also look great unpainted, while most Gunpla don't.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Oh yeah, it was totally that old kit. I grabbed it at a goodwill on a whim. I think the other one I got is older. I'd peeked at this thread before, but hadn't really bought in yet.

Pm me. Those kits look interesting, though I can't say just where I'm going with this yet. I'll totally follow your lead out the gate though. You ain't done me wrong yet!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Normally I'd come in and say that buying/building an early MG would be a bad idea, but considering you just built a 1/100 Wing HG that actually works out pretty well. The Ex-8/RX-79 don't have the best range of leg movement, but they have a lot of accessories and their incomplete inner frame makes them a decent bridge from old HGs to modern MGs.

Just note that they are basically the same kit underneath that armor, so don't get both!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I forgot that the inner frame is essentially the same. Still, they're both fun builds because of the outer frame, and while they don't have the articulation of recent MGs, they're still solid kits when built. Also, those fully-disassembleable cannons that they both have just tickles that little sweet spot I have for ridiculous heavy artillery that also can be taken apart and stored away in the backpack easily. :v:

The EZ-8 was my first MG I believe, and I hosed up no less than four times and broke a few parts, but even then it still assembled perfectly fine.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Official art from Gundam Build Fighters:

Come on HGAC line.:)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TaurusOxford posted:

Official art from Gundam Build Fighters:

Come on HGAC line.:)

Is... Is that Heavyarms? :aaaaa:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
That's TV Heavyarms son. :smugbert:

Edit: Round Two of Gundam Breaker competition. Spoilers, they're just as dumb as the first batch:

http://gundamguy.blogspot.ca/2013/08/gundam-breaker-gunpla-competition.html

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 16, 2013

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TaurusOxford posted:

Edit: Round Two of Gundam Breaker competition. Spoilers, they're just as dumb as the first batch:

A few actually look decent this time, but there's still a lot of awful combinations there. That Double Bullet quadruple-crime against humanity, for one. That said; what are its arm-cannons from?

edit: Also kinda hoping that Build Fighters Heavyarms will get a version of those booster units with the double-gatling guns the Custom had (and more missiles, of course). A Heavyarms can never have enough firepower :unsmigghh:.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Aug 16, 2013

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A few actually look decent this time, but there's still a lot of awful combinations there. That Double Bullet quadruple-crime against humanity, for one. That said; what are its arm-cannons from?

Age-1 Full Gransa.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

TaurusOxford posted:

That Gabthley and Susanano combo actually looks pretty drat awesome.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

TaurusOxford posted:

AcGuy Scythe is equal parts awful and wonderful

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The Gabthley with Susanoo is really cool. It's a only a little tweak, but I could see that being some ace pilot's custom unit. I'm not sure if the idea behind the Miku dragontaur thing is good or not, but I can't fault the execution in maing a horrible mess. I really like the Zaku Sled too, if only because I'm pretty sure someone woke up and went "poo poo I haven't done anything for the custom Gunpla thing! uhhhh, ah half a Zaku and... a Unicorn shield? Where's my super glue..." and declared it a success.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.
I don't care what anyone says, DeathGuy is the fist of Zeon.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

BlitzBlast posted:

You wanna know the best gloss coat for acrylic paints in all of existence?

This stuff, right here. Used to be called Pledge with Future Shine, but now it's just multisurface finish.

This poo poo is incredible. It's cheap, it's self-leveling, it comes in a big bottle, you can find it in most convenience stores, you can brush or spray it on, and you can even use it to make your floor/furniture look better! Just make sure you don't mess up and buy the regular Pledge furniture cleaner, because that's totally different.

Is this exactly what the packaging would look like if I were to go out and buy it at a store right now?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

muike posted:

Is this exactly what the packaging would look like if I were to go out and buy it at a store right now?

In the US, yes.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this is the one I bought and it works perfectly as a sealant
http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-11182...uture+floor+wax

As long as it doesnt say floor cleaner, and it does say future somewhere its the one you want

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I love that the frequently bought together listings on that are microsol and microset.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SpikeMcclane posted:

I love that the frequently bought together listings on that are microsol and microset.

People who use it on floors probably buy it at the grocery store.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Another batch of AmiAmi pre-orders are up.

Systems Weapon 006 (Bazooka, Zaku Shield)
HG F91
RG Strike Freedom (will have chrome parts, not gold colored plastic)
MG Wing Zero Proto
Sazabi vKa (:siren: Only 6.5k Yen :siren:)

I am completely befuddled by the Sazabi's price. I was told the thing was going to be at least as expensive as The O, yet apparently it's only gonna be around $90?

EDIT: Actually maybe this means the kit isn't going to have gigantic chunks of plastic and instead just a ton of parts.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Aug 22, 2013

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Those color pictures of Proto Zero make my two pre-orders on GGInfinite justified. Such an amazing looking kit.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The original MG Sazabi didn't really have enough parts at 8000 yen to do the thing justice, so I've pretty much lost hope that the ver.Ka won't be another cheap-suit, half-assed effort.

And the F91 looks like utter poo poo, AGAIN. Why Can't Bandai Hobby get this design right?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Apparently the official price is 9000 yen: http://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2012/08/master-grade-100-sazabi-ver-ka-announced.html?m=1

Bimmi posted:

The original MG Sazabi didn't really have enough parts at 8000 yen to do the thing justice, so I've pretty much lost hope that the ver.Ka won't be another cheap-suit, half-assed effort.

Have you built any modern Ver Kas? Asides from suffering from proportionally long leg syndrome, they are amazing kits with generally high part count. Hell the build quality on most modern bandai kits is goddamn amazing compared to the models of 2000, which the net is telling me is when sazabi was released. Around 2003 is when the models began to approach a better level of quality.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Ignimbrite posted:

Have you built any modern Ver Kas? Asides from suffering from proportionally long leg syndrome, they are amazing kits with generally high part count.

I'm not familiar with the Sinanju (Stein), but every other recent vKa has had pretty major flaws. The Unicorn is straight up a piece of crap when it's in Destroy Mode (and not much better in Unicorn), and though the OVA version tried to fix some stuff it's still an overall mess going by my experience with the FA Unicorn. The Victory is well-known for being terrible due to its complex transformation and small size, while the Core Booster attachments just make it worse. And the Nu can't even hold its beam rifle upright, has a frankly terrible mechanic for connecting the funnels, and the transformable parts on the torso are so loose they'll slide down due to gravity.

With that said the Sazabi is probably going to be like the Sinanju, and the only bad thing I've ever heard about that is it being decal hell. So jury's still out.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
New image of Wing Proto Zero just popped up. It's small, but we can see how his legs will transform for Neo Bird mode, and he comes with his own base.

• Locked thread