Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
incandescent bulbs have lovely color I am glad I'm living in this energy efficient future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Robert A. Heinlein posted:

“I grok he might. But, Mike—listen, dear. You promised you wouldn’t do anything of that sort except in utter emergency. If you hear me scream, and reach into my mind and I’m in real trouble, that’s another matter. But I was coping with wolves when you were still on Mars. Nine times out of ten, if a girl gets raped, it’s partly her fault. So don’t be hasty.”

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i really only liked starship troopers and even then because mechas = top tier poo poo

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I got two cfls behind lampshades dont really notice. Newer ones don't take forever to lime power up or w/e like old ones

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is an excellent book. Everything else I've read from heinlein has either been tiresomely juvenile or completely revolting.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

nigga crab pollock posted:

incandescent bulbs have lovely color I am glad I'm living in this energy efficient future

i actually really like the colour temp of incandescents a lot

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

i just light a campfire in my living room i like the 'warm' lighting

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i liked the movie "europa report" ne1 here c it?

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
so i'm continuing my ill-advised experiment in writing sci-fi stories for fun and not-profit

i have a kind of neat idea for a book and i've been developing the overarching storyline and writing scenes from it and whatever but i find it difficult to write good dialogue and some parts of the story are definitely pretty dialogue-driven

i want to write good characters too, not just stereotypes and a mary sue, hopefully i can figure that out

the technical part of it on the other hand i can definitely do, but nobody wants to read just pages of exposition about how the artificial intelligence is built or what the alien artifact does

tl;dr writing is hard but there doesn't seem to be a way to get good at it other than just doing it a lot

(therefore post post post)

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Smythe posted:

i liked the movie "europa report" ne1 here c it?

no i have not seen it yet

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
stranger in a strange land was interesting but it felt like what you would get if someone decided to write "dark" fan fiction about some infantile sci fi like mork and mindy or buck rogers or the like

but mork came after stranger so he was still ahead of his time I guess

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ol qwerty bastard posted:

so i'm continuing my ill-advised experiment in writing sci-fi stories for fun and not-profit

i have a kind of neat idea for a book and i've been developing the overarching storyline and writing scenes from it and whatever but i find it difficult to write good dialogue and some parts of the story are definitely pretty dialogue-driven

i want to write good characters too, not just stereotypes and a mary sue, hopefully i can figure that out

the technical part of it on the other hand i can definitely do, but nobody wants to read just pages of exposition about how the artificial intelligence is built or what the alien artifact does

tl;dr writing is hard but there doesn't seem to be a way to get good at it other than just doing it a lot

(therefore post post post)

best way to write good characters is meet a lot of people, preferably interesting ones, and basically just ask them to talk about themselves (this is unsurprisingly easy) and then mix and match their stories and personality quirks enough so the legal boilerplate holds up

then wait for your douchebag CFO to explain how he really did get shot out a window by ED-209 :colbert:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Crasscrab posted:

i really only liked starship troopers and even then because mechas = top tier poo poo
i know that that's the popular conception but i always pictured them as being more like iron man's armor v:shobon:v

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
:siren:reminder: the only approved light source for yospos is your monitor:siren:

(light bulbs are the yospos equivalent of circumcision debates, nobody wants to see you post because your manhood is threatened because somebody questioned your light bulb choices. never post about lighting, any LF poo poo means a week+ probation)

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
the real yospos circumcision debate is amber or green

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

oh hey i forgot to tell you all

i got my watch back from the watch repair dude. new hands, new gears, polished and all

now i can tell time without pulling my phone out or divination or w/e

owns

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
watched 2001 last night and it will probably always be the greatest sci fi film ever made.

it even makes blade runner look like scrub tier babyshits

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

chumpchous posted:

watched 2001 last night and it will probably always be the greatest sci fi film ever made.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

chumpchous posted:

idunno if i'd go that far but it's definitely the best

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i wish sci fi directors would stop jerkin it to their 70s animu monster killers and start jerking off to some real films

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

chumpchous posted:

i wish sci fi directors would stop jerkin it to their 70s animu monster killers and start jerking off to some real films

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

chumpchous posted:

I hope you mean "look" in a metaphorical level of art sense because blade runner is the best looking in the visual sense sci fi film ever made

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

chumpchous posted:

yeah.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

haveblue posted:

I hope you mean "look" in a metaphorical level of art sense because blade runner is the best looking in the visual sense sci fi film ever made

2001 beats it on visuals too

supremely confident

balanced

iconic

striking

minimalist

and abstract

loving incredible

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

seriously look at the scope of that quick grab bag of frames. dat movie

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
blade runner does grab an easy second but there's literally nothing worthwhile after it except maybe alien (the first one idiots) so

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

i went to a museum exhibit of kubrick props last year and was super psyched when I saw the actual star child hanging from the ceiling

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i was reading about it recently and found out that kubrick and arthur c. clark actually collaborated on the screenplay. the novelization didn't come out until after the movie. that's really awesome, for reasons i cant really explain.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

chumpchous posted:

i was reading about it recently and found out that kubrick and arthur c. clark actually collaborated on the screenplay. the novelization didn't come out until after the movie. that's really awesome, for reasons i cant really explain.

two giants in their respective fields coming together and producing something genuinely special. it's rare.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

two giants in their respective fields coming together and producing something genuinely special. it's rare.

yeah, it's it's a masterpiece

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Amethyst posted:

plus a screenplay is neither a film nor a book, so they worked together on this thing and then eacho took it and interpreted it in their own way

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Amethyst posted:

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is an excellent book. Everything else I've read from heinlein has either been tiresomely juvenile or completely revolting.

starship troopers the book is basically just military fellatio for 250 pages

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I LOVE TOM CLANCY

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Haters are sniped from a helo deployed sniping pod flying supersonic and located via subterranean headsens0rZ triangulated by NORAD

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
tom clancy did one thing that was useful, his name can now be used to describe a particular kind of idiot who doesn't know poo poo about technology, the military, or geopolitics but is absolutely convinced that he does

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i feel bad 4 u if u dont read a tom clancy on the airplane so instead of having a boring ride in a steel tube ur instead having a thrilling adventure w/ a

real american patriot protestant from middle america
big beefy black guy heavy weapons operator
sassy redhead sniper
smooth talkin latino demolition expert
scarred, serious, deeply patriotic but also down-to-earth cynical spec-ops general

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i knew an ex marine guy who went to stanford and was an idiot for all kinds of reasons but among them was his a book he was "writing" about marines and geopolitics and all kinds of stuff. if he talked about it it was clear he was making it up on the spot. (to a girl who liked hiking: "and there's a girl in it, who's the daughter of a general and she's an intelligence agent. she's also a lot like you she enjoys hiking"). anyhow he goes on and on and says that he has the perfect opening line, do you want to hear it? In his jamaican accent: "the marines rushed in"

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
ok ok im seeing it go on please im on the egde of my seat here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
u laugh but he subjected that poor girl to listening to his story for literally 2 hours as she sat there and went 'oh. wow, interesting. mmhmm.' eventually i asked 'hey does anyone want to go skinny dipping' and she said "I DO" and then we ended up having sex

• Locked thread