Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

http://beta.icloud.com gives a glimpse at what the iCloud apps will eventually look like. I guess they're ok? Reminds me a lot of Windows 8 apps, especially Mail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Do OSX installs install all the necessary drivers/kexts/&c. for all hardware?

I have an iBook which I resurrected from my parent's basement, but the HDD seems to be dead, or very close to dead: Disk Utility refuses to repair it (via Target Mode), it won't boot beyond the Grey Apple (or a Blue screen with a cursor, if I'm lucky), and inclining the laptop at a 45º angle results in a lot of vibration and a very unpleasant sound.

However, I have the old HDD from my Cube laying around. It should be the right physical connection/bus, and I already have 10.4 and 9.2.2 installed on it (although this iBook can't boot to OS 9.

So my question is: can I just drop the drive into the iBook, or am I gonna have to re-install tiger to get all the hardware to work right?

I'm pretty sure this is more of a software question than hardware, if I'm wrong I'll move this.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
OSX installs all of the kexts by default so you should be able to just put your other hdd in without issue, providing that the version of OSX on the drive supports your iBook.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Yes, for supported hardware OSX installs everything for all supported hardware.
I THINK.
Throw it in and find out, can't hurt.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Alright! Now to hope I don't zap myself or need rails or something dumb. Getting the Dell HDD into the Cube was an exercise in misery and jumpers, hopefully this'll go smoother.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
Whoa. The old G4 cubes had regular desktop IDE drives while the iBook needs a laptop drive. Unless you had put a small 2.5 size notebook drive into the Cube, it's not going to work.

Another option might be to burn an old Linux PowerPC iso to cd and see if the iBook will boot. Then you could decide what you might want to do - find Tiger discs somewhere.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Yes, I realized that once I had dissected the iBook. I really, really should've caught that before I started. Especially since I knew full well that drive had been replaced with a desktop drive.

And the iBook did boot — two days ago when I installed Tiger on it. Eh, I'll either figure something out or enjoy my box of iBook.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Anyone running the nightly WebKit? I don't use it for anything mission critical but I find it's on average, 'snappier' than regular Safari 6.0.5..

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Binary Badger posted:

Anyone running the nightly WebKit? I don't use it for anything mission critical but I find it's on average, 'snappier' than regular Safari 6.0.5..

I ran it for a while when it was supposed to fix the 'Retina scrolling issues' but I never really noticed anything different so I quit.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

I found that if I fullscreened an html5 video on one screen of a multi-monitor setup the second screen would grey out and be useless so I went back to using Safari since it doesn't exhibit that behavior.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Binary Badger posted:

I got webkit to try and change crappy, laggy Safari scrolling (Chrome, too, really) and it didn't do anything. I got a magic trackpad and Safari became awesome and smooth again.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Zenostein posted:

Do OSX installs install all the necessary drivers/kexts/&c. for all hardware?

I have an iBook which I resurrected from my parent's basement, but the HDD seems to be dead, or very close to dead: Disk Utility refuses to repair it (via Target Mode), it won't boot beyond the Grey Apple (or a Blue screen with a cursor, if I'm lucky), and inclining the laptop at a 45º angle results in a lot of vibration and a very unpleasant sound.

However, I have the old HDD from my Cube laying around. It should be the right physical connection/bus, and I already have 10.4 and 9.2.2 installed on it (although this iBook can't boot to OS 9.

So my question is: can I just drop the drive into the iBook, or am I gonna have to re-install tiger to get all the hardware to work right?

I'm pretty sure this is more of a software question than hardware, if I'm wrong I'll move this.

To be sure, run a Combo, not Delta, Update on the Cube as most OSX updates via Software Update don't include all the drivers. The Combo Update files should still be around on Apple's website

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
I'm getting really frustrated with OSX, it feels like it's constantly fighting my natural workflow.

Is there some secret to keep the secondary/tertiary (non-main) windows of an application open when you select another app?

For instance, right now I'm trying to put my Omnigraffle "style" windows on my mbp screen next to a chrome window (because they only take up half the screen).

The main omnigraffle design is on my second monitor.

The problem is when I click chrome it immediately minimizes the secondary windows of the other applications. So I can't click a link in chrome then move my mouse over and click an arrow or change a font size. I have to re-click Omnigraffles main icon to get it to maximize the secondary windows.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

If there's an option, it'll be specific to OmniGraffle, but it likely doesn't have any option because that's how tool windows usually work. If it helps, you don't need to click the main icon, only bring OmniGraffle back into focus (by CMD-Tab, clicking any OG window, etc) and the tool windows will show back up.

Or, you can hold command and interact with Chrome without focusing it, although clicking links will open them in a new tab, adding an extra step.

carry on then fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 16, 2013

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

carry on then posted:

Or, you can hold command and interact with Chrome without focusing it.

Ok, still bugged by it in general but this is much better. Thanks!

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

carry on then posted:

Or, you can hold command and interact with <apps>

:aaaaa:

I've been using OS X for... like 8 years and have never known this. My life has just been changed.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

devilmouse posted:

I've been using OS X for... like 8 years and have never known this.

This, right here, is the OSX experience summed up in one sentence.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

devilmouse posted:

:aaaaa:

I've been using OS X for... like 8 years and have never known this. My life has just been changed.
And I think it's something that originated in Classic Mac OS :v:. There's some other little tricks like that too that you'd never know unless you knew the trick way back (...how the hell I found out about those in the first case I have no clue, the Internet wasn't as much of a thing back then).

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Post all the tricks.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Martytoof posted:

This, right here, is the OSX experience summed up in one sentence.
I know, right? I knew you could hover the mouse over windows in the background and scroll them without making them primary focus but I didn't know you could interact with them with a modifier key :aaaaa:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Let's see what I remember:
  • Holding option and switching to an app will hide the app you just left.
  • Holding shift while drag resizing an app will preserve the aspect ratio of the window
  • Holding option while drag resizing an app will hold the center of the window in place, rather than the opposite corner/edge.
  • Holding control and option allows you to drag a window from anywhere on that window, not just the titlebar
  • Holding shift, option, and control and dragging allows you to resize a window from anywhere as if you were dragging the bottom right corner.

I'm absolutely sure there are plenty of others.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
So, I've got a big honkin' windows desktop that I'd like to transition into a Gaming HTPC (Steam + XBMC) & fileserver setup with it hooked up to the TV and my MBA taking over regular computer duty. Will iTunes on OS X play nice with a remote library, as in I can play/tag music/movies through iTunes on the MBA but all the files (including the XML?) live elsewhere? Also taking suggestions on how to implement this, anything better than SMB/symlinks?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

The Milkman posted:

So, I've got a big honkin' windows desktop that I'd like to transition into a Gaming HTPC (Steam + XBMC) & fileserver setup with it hooked up to the TV and my MBA taking over regular computer duty. Will iTunes on OS X play nice with a remote library, as in I can play/tag music/movies through iTunes on the MBA but all the files (including the XML?) live elsewhere? Also taking suggestions on how to implement this, anything better than SMB/symlinks?

You can put your media files on a share. I use NFS because it mounts easy and OSX doesn't throw up errors when the shares aren't available as long as you don't try to access them. With SMB I get a popup, "where are all the shares?" when I leave my home network, which is annoying.

Keep the database files local. iTunes accesses them a LOT and no matter how fast you think your network share is, it's not fast enough to keep up and iTunes will feel unusable slow. Trying to use the same database between multiple computers is also frustrating.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

carry on then posted:

• Holding control and option allows you to drag a window from anywhere on that window, not just the titlebar
  • Holding shift, option, and control and dragging allows you to resize a window from anywhere as if you were dragging the bottom right corner.
Sure about these two? Don't seem to work for me.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Looks like those are features of HyperDock. Nevermind.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
What does it mean when an email has this weird border on it in Airmail?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Never used airmail, but is the message high priority? Or does it have a recognized package tracking code in it?

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
From browsing the Airmail app bundle, that red thing is called tintred.png. There's also an accompanying tintyellow.png as well.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
And, here's your answer:

https://twitter.com/airmailer/status/367725089623924737

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Neat. Thanks.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I am in the process of upgrading my 2011 Macbook Pro with SSD, and swapped the normal drive into the optical bay and then proceeded to accidentally rip the drat sata ribbon cable before finishing up installing the SSD. Anyway, I was messing around with resizing my bootcamp install and screwed that up as well (Not having good luck with this thing lately). I have had this problem in the past and resorted to installing Windows with DVD last time, but now I had no drat DVD drive in the machine.

So the long and short of it is, windows either has trouble booting on the machine or when you get the installer booted it gets confused by bootcamp's hybrid EFI GPT/MBR weirdness.

I eventually got it re-installed by following this guide here: http://8na.de/?p=124
In the past there used to be a tool to mount vmware images and I had used that to get around the same kind of situation by cloning to the physical drive, but now it looks like you can just do some manual setup for the vmware and access the partition directly. Installed Windows 8.1 and everything and then got it booted up with rEFIt or whatever its rEnamed now.

So in summary, I just wanted to share: If you are having problems installing windows on a mac machine with a screwy DVD drive, this method is handy

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

2012 MacBook Air won't boot past a grey screen with a spinning icon and a no symbol/circle with backslash. Has anyone fixed this? I'm hoping it's not a software failure like some people have mentioned with similar issues. I've tried the option+cmd+p+r and holding shift and it gets me to the same place.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Aug 19, 2013

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
It is a software issue, start it up and begin holding cmd-v when you hear the chime.

This will boot into Verbose mode, and it should tell you exactly what is causing the error.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I tried that and have a wall of text. Lots of "failed to resolve library dependencies". After a few seconds the no symbol came up again in the middle of the screen for some reason. Stuck again with "Still waiting for root device" as the most recent string.

I did manage to get into disk utility and the main hd couldn't be repaired. I'm getting tired of Apple's issues lately :/

e: completely erased the hdd and now it's allowing me to reinstall mountain lion. Really hoping this works so I don't have to drive to Orlando.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Aug 19, 2013

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Well it means it can't find a bootable disk, which could've been a software or hardware issue. Hopefully it's just software in your case...but it could've been caused by hardware (like the SSD corrupting system stuff).

If Disk Utility doesn't report anything, maybe check out something like SMART Utility to see what the drive's SMART status indicators show. There's a lot of confusing stuff but should still be useful, worst case just screenshot the main and attributes windows and post here if you're not sure.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Kilometers Davis posted:

I tried that and have a wall of text. Lots of "failed to resolve library dependencies". After a few seconds the no symbol came up again in the middle of the screen for some reason. Stuck again with "Still waiting for root device" as the most recent string.

FYI, the "failed to resolve" errors are the kernel trying (and failing) to load kernel extensions (drivers), and the "Still waiting for root device" is the kernel complaining that it needs to mount a root (aka boot) filesystem to continue but hasn't been able to. Probably because it can't due to all the KEXTs failing to load. The "no" symbol is the kernel telling you it's given up on making forward progress.

Basically, something hosed up one or more files in your OS X install. Could've been software you installed (if so it would've been something that required an admin password to install), could've been filesystem damage due to bugs, could've been your SSD failing. I'm seconding Japtor's recommendation to use a SMART tool to try to rule that last possibility out.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BobHoward posted:

FYI, the "failed to resolve" errors are the kernel trying (and failing) to load kernel extensions (drivers), and the "Still waiting for root device" is the kernel complaining that it needs to mount a root (aka boot) filesystem to continue but hasn't been able to. Probably because it can't due to all the KEXTs failing to load. The "no" symbol is the kernel telling you it's given up on making forward progress.

Basically, something hosed up one or more files in your OS X install. Could've been software you installed (if so it would've been something that required an admin password to install), could've been filesystem damage due to bugs, could've been your SSD failing. I'm seconding Japtor's recommendation to use a SMART tool to try to rule that last possibility out.

I really appreciate this response. It painted a much better picture of what was probably going on. As of now everything is working fine and seems to not have the previous install's problem with function keys not working. SMART passed. Mystery solved! Thanks for the help everyone.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Aug 19, 2013

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Having extra memory on ML is nice and all, but is there a way to tell the OS what apps to "put to sleep" memory-wise while they're running? Some apps I have running in the background take a few seconds to appear from Hide when I click on them on the Dock, which isn't too bad a tradeoff for their memory, but there are some (mostly Alfred) that I'd like to keep "active" constantly. On Lion it was eating memory all the time and always popped up immediately upon hotkey press, but in ML it takes 3-5 seconds to appear and I'd like it to be instant again.

Also, with Mavericks having the whole dual-screen support, will it be/is the beta able to give you options on which screens are on or off?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Is it possible to set OS X keyboard preferences (e.g. "Use F1, F2, etc as Function keys") with a `defaults write` command? I'm trying to script my entire set of preferences and this is one of the few things I haven't yet found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Lexicon posted:

Is it possible to set OS X keyboard preferences (e.g. "Use F1, F2, etc as Function keys") with a `defaults write` command? I'm trying to script my entire set of preferences and this is one of the few things I haven't yet found.

Have you poked around with these answers?

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3446128/enable-disable-fn-keys-from-the-command-line-on-the-mac