Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Either that or there's an alternate line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I recall hearing 'poo poo' but never 'gently caress'.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

tvb posted:

I just started watching Breaking Bad, and I was wondering -- how does the show handle profanity when it broadcasts? More than one episode has had characters saying "gently caress," which plays on Netflix, but do they bleep that out on TV or what? It's interesting that the show is written/filmed for TV, but not necessarily constrained by its limitations.

Also, I'm 5 episodes in (almost down with the first season), and I have to ask, does it get any less bleak? Because as much as I like it so far, it's a big loving downer, and I don't know if I can keep marathoning it if it doesn't take a turn for the less-depressing.

The pilot episode is way more profane because they had shot it with HBO in mind, when AMC picked them up instead they adjusted accordingly. The f-bombs were muted during broadcast but everything else was intact.

I'd say the show actually gets more bleak. The first two seasons are largely the show finding its ground and are a bit more overtly comedic and episodic, once the pieces fall into place it just barrels forward and does not look back.

And yeah, avoid any and all spoilers like the plague. The show is pretty much the reason why the :tviv: smilie exists and even the general TVIV chat thread has untagged spoilers for the show every other day.

tliil
Jan 13, 2013
Things to keep in mind while watching Breaking Bad:

1) The show is tightly plotted, so pay attention. Things that happen in the very first episode are referenced seasons later, and this happens again and again. You are rewarded for paying attention.
2) It's not for the light of heart, some vicious poo poo happens.
3) Don't read a single spoiler ever because this show has so many twists that will blow your loving mind up.
4) With only a couple of exceptions, every character matters.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I watched Upstream Color last night, really liked it. Nice to watch a film where you have to think a bit. Sound design and cinematography were amazing.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I Before E posted:

If anything, it gets more bleak. Walt watches a woman choke on her own vomit and does nothing about it.

Why even include that? Who is that supposed to benefit besides showing how cool you are that you've seen the entire show?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

So how often does Netflix censor swearing in their subtitles? I'd never seen that happen before but rewatching Breaking Bad I noticed

That's supposed to say "badass" :eek: Thanks for saving my delicate sensibilities Netflix, I know that I don't want to read any cussin in my shows about meth dealing. So far this has also applied to a few "poo poo"s, unsure if "hell" or "drat" has made the list of naughty words.

update: "balls" and "Jesus" blanked out as well. Do they have a Mormon doing the caption editing for Breaking Bad?

"pissant" makes the list too. This is kinda fascinating.

"nuts" not censored but "ballsack" is a no go

I know this was two pages ago, but I found out last year that Breaking Bad has two English closed captions on Netflix. One of them is the ridiculously censored one, that you were watching with, and the other is uncensored.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

GonSmithe posted:

I know this was two pages ago, but I found out last year that Breaking Bad has two English closed captions on Netflix. One of them is the ridiculously censored one, that you were watching with, and the other is uncensored.

I believe it comes randomly? I recall watching a couple of chapters with censored closed captions, and then the rest of the season was uncensored.

Speaking of closed captions, does Netflix loves to play with the users? :psyduck: I had the horrible black bar with yellow captions for a movie, I switched to Mexican Netflix and watched the same movie with decent yellow colored subtitles. Then I return to the American one and I get the white ones, and just yesterday I suddenly get the yellow ones back(without the black bar). Sorry if I sound awkward, but I watch my foreign movies with subtitles, and bad subtitles can make the whole experience annoying. I wish they would let you chose the type of closed captions you want.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

The subtitles are all over the place, it's crazy. I'm into Season 2 on Breaking Bad and it stopped censoring everything.

origami posted:

I recall hearing 'poo poo' but never 'gently caress'.
I'm burning through all the seasons again in preparation for the finale, and in Season 2 episode 6, Walt clearly says "gently caress you" (to Gretchen).
Not much of a spoiler but just in case.

This is another show that's even better on a rewatch. I hardly ever watch stuff twice, especially TV, but I'm liking this even more the second time.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The subtitles are all over the place, it's crazy. I'm into Season 2 on Breaking Bad and it stopped censoring everything.
I'm burning through all the seasons again in preparation for the finale, and in Season 2 episode 6, Walt clearly says "gently caress you" (to Gretchen).
Not much of a spoiler but just in case.

This is another show that's even better on a rewatch. I hardly ever watch stuff twice, especially TV, but I'm liking this even more the second time.

The "fucks" were blanked out when they premiered, but uncensored when put on dvd/blu-ray. Same with the woman from the first episode's boobs, and later the strip club.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GonSmithe posted:

The "fucks" were blanked out when they premiered, but uncensored when put on dvd/blu-ray. Same with the woman from the first episode's boobs, and later the strip club.

Which really takes a lot of bite out of one of Skyler's best lines (and one of the best end of episode lines) in the whole show so far.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Desperado Bones posted:

I believe it comes randomly? I recall watching a couple of chapters with censored closed captions, and then the rest of the season was uncensored.

Speaking of closed captions, does Netflix loves to play with the users? :psyduck: I had the horrible black bar with yellow captions for a movie, I switched to Mexican Netflix and watched the same movie with decent yellow colored subtitles. Then I return to the American one and I get the white ones, and just yesterday I suddenly get the yellow ones back(without the black bar). Sorry if I sound awkward, but I watch my foreign movies with subtitles, and bad subtitles can make the whole experience annoying. I wish they would let you chose the type of closed captions you want.

I think the yellow ones were just for one season (Season 4?), I had white ones for most of the series.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

tvb posted:

I just started watching Breaking Bad, and I was wondering -- how does the show handle profanity when it broadcasts? More than one episode has had characters saying "gently caress," which plays on Netflix, but do they bleep that out on TV or what? It's interesting that the show is written/filmed for TV, but not necessarily constrained by its limitations.

Also, I'm 5 episodes in (almost down with the first season), and I have to ask, does it get any less bleak? Because as much as I like it so far, it's a big loving downer, and I don't know if I can keep marathoning it if it doesn't take a turn for the less-depressing.

It never really turns into a fun show.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

GonSmithe posted:

It's really weird as to which season will actually put the profanity in the DVD release. Season 1 is completely uncensored (including Walt telling Jesse to "Grow a pair of loving balls!" during a cook in one of the episodes) whereas Season 2's release I distinctly remember them dropping out most of the audio from the the "gently caress you." from S2E6. I haven't seen the later seasons episodes so they might have changed it once again.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

foodfight posted:

I think its fair to say the show is pretty bleak and brutal but it does offset it just a bit with some fun for levity's sake.

The side bonus of the overall dark tone makes those sprinkled "fun" bits phenomenal rays of sunshine.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Yeah there's the meth-selling montages and a few genuine moments of levity, mostly from the early part of the series where not everything is dark and weighty.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
The point I wanted to make was that the show does really start off bleak and hopeless, when Walt is still a sympathetic character. If you've been affected by a family member having cancer it's extremely on point in the emotional impact that comes with. Once the show's actual premise gets going though, it's not nearly as depressing.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I don't know, I think it's pretty fun seeing Walt out-maneuver everybody time and time again.* Sure if it were real life it wouldn't be much fun but to me it's the same as watching Darth Vader choke some dudes or something.

*Extremely general spoiler.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pet Rock Band posted:

The Rundown has popped up. It's a lot of goofy fun. The Rock is at his charismatic best. Sean William Scott isn't awful. Christopher Walken has a few amazing scenes as the villain. This movie was a huge surprise, and I hope more people check it out!

It's one of my all time favorite buddy movies, Scott and Johnson are so good on screen together. It reminds me of the Angel and Spike interaction during the 5th season of Angel.

tliil
Jan 13, 2013

big business sloth posted:

The point I wanted to make was that the show does really start off bleak and hopeless, when Walt is still a sympathetic character. If you've been affected by a family member having cancer it's extremely on point in the emotional impact that comes with. Once the show's actual premise gets going though, it's not nearly as depressing.
I think Walt is sympathetic through the whole show, maybe I'm a sociopath. SHRUG.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

foodfight posted:

Have I ever told you about my Star Trek script?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Cut your own Christmas tree, cut your own pizza!

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Dipping sticks skyler!

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

precision posted:

Have I ever told you about my Star Trek script?

No.

Am I being called out for saying BB is not fun?

It Just Got Worse
Oct 30, 2012
I'm a blowfiiiiiiiish!

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

tliil posted:

I think Walt is sympathetic through the whole show, maybe I'm a sociopath. SHRUG.

Yes

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

foodfight posted:

No.

Am I being called out for saying BB is not fun?

No, the post you quoted is a reference to Jesse's friends being amazing in the first ep of the new half-season. Actually, most of the time they're responsible for the show's fun moments.

Also it's possible to think a character is sympathetic while also not endorsing his actions, hope this helps

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!

big business sloth posted:

Yeah, this is just the distinction I was looking for. It's interesting, though, to see how everyone's opinions are breaking down as far as the tone of the show goes, though. I think where we agree here is that I don't necessarily equate the brutality and violence with bleakness, nor do I dislike a show with an antihero at its center (another easy, though admittedly imperfect, example being Boardwalk Empire). All of the weighty cancer storylines, IMO, make the show much harder to watch than the criminal goings-on.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

computer parts posted:

I think the yellow ones were just for one season (Season 4?), I had white ones for most of the series.

I just finished Apparitions, a couple of chapters had yellow subtitles, the rest white. I just find it quite odd.

Speaking of Apparitions, any other good series/movie about exorcisms and the like?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, Netflix sure is doing everything they can to let people know that Hemlock Grove got TWO Emmy nominations.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Finished all three season of The Killing, and I don't think I could recommend it any harder. The acting, atmosphere, twist and turns, the characters devolpment and their pasts, the overall darkness of murder investigation is captured so perfectly. It's not just a few cases solved and forgotten, it follows everyone that is involved to the victims and how it effects their own lives. Holder and Linden make the best partners to watch, the middle aged woman always wearing the most 90s mom sweaters to her ex junky partner who's throwing out zen like street knowledge. Most shows I enjoy usually have something in the pilot episode that makes me interested in seeing something else from the show, but the pilot to The Killing is so amazing on it's own. Season two surely had quite a few surprises in it, but the second half of season three had me shocked.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Khorne Flakes posted:

Finished all three season of The Killing, and I don't think I could recommend it any harder. The acting, atmosphere, twist and turns, the characters devolpment and their pasts, the overall darkness of murder investigation is captured so perfectly. It's not just a few cases solved and forgotten, it follows everyone that is involved to the victims and how it effects their own lives. Holder and Linden make the best partners to watch, the middle aged woman always wearing the most 90s mom sweaters to her ex junky partner who's throwing out zen like street knowledge. Most shows I enjoy usually have something in the pilot episode that makes me interested in seeing something else from the show, but the pilot to The Killing is so amazing on it's own. Season two surely had quite a few surprises in it, but the second half of season three had me shocked.
Now watch Top of the Lake!

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Sounds like I need to get on this!

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.

Rhyno posted:

Man, Netflix sure is doing everything they can to let people know that Hemlock Grove got TWO Emmy nominations.

For what? I mean, I assume they must be technical Emmys, but still.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

For what? I mean, I assume they must be technical Emmys, but still.

Theme and some effects bullshit.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Theme and some effects bullshit.

Technical awards are the best, they lead to statements like "Academy Award nominee Norbit"

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Watched Barton Fink drunk. Went to sleep. Had a crazy dream.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Bolek posted:

Watched Barton Fink drunk.

This is actually the best way to watch it, and I say that as someone who absolutely adores the film sober. It's a great movie, it's just even better drunk, on cough syrup, acid if you can get it.

I. Will. Show. You. The life of the mind!

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Bolek posted:

Watched Barton Fink drunk. Went to sleep. Had a crazy dream.

Now make a movie outta that dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Oh poo poo, looks like they put up Samsara at some point on Netflix.

I know I'm not gonna get the same gorgeous visuals as if I bought it on blu-ray, but I'm excited to get a general idea of it.

• Locked thread