Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I have no idea, I just read that in the technic forum @ eurobricks somewhere.

E: Linky

Ika fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I visited Copenhagen last week and went to the Lego brand store there. A bit crazy seeing all those modulars and other rare sets, that you normally see pictures of on the internet, on shelves irl. I ended up buying a large cup of Pick-a-brick. They didn't have that many interesting pieces but I did get some lime, orange and pink stuff, aswell as some cool trans ones.

Anyway, here's something I built for my hazmat guys to drive around in:

More here

It some special response firetruck, with some tools and a small remote controlled extraction vehicle in the back. I read rumors at eurobricks of a new airport firetruck coming in '14, will be interesting to see what TLC has come up with.

And here's a shot of the cockpit of that biplane I posted earlier, just because I like it so much. :)

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I visited Copenhagen last week and went to the Lego brand store there. A bit crazy seeing all those modulars and other rare sets, that you normally see pictures of on the internet, on shelves irl. I ended up buying a large cup of Pick-a-brick. They didn't have that many interesting pieces but I did get some lime, orange and pink stuff, aswell as some cool trans ones.

Anyway, here's something I built for my hazmat guys to drive around in:

More here

It some special response firetruck, with some tools and a small remote controlled extraction vehicle in the back. I read rumors at eurobricks of a new airport firetruck coming in '14, will be interesting to see what TLC has come up with.

And here's a shot of the cockpit of that biplane I posted earlier, just because I like it so much. :)

That is a nice firetruck, love the colouring.
Haven't posted a MOC in a while myself, ths is mostly due to not having any inspration and partially because my old laptop fried and i lost all my presets and templates in LDD.(usefull parts, completed SNOT assemblies and such)

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I picked up three of the crawler. :feelsgood:

Uh oh, here comes all the hate you got about the B-Wing sale again.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

AzMiLion posted:

That is a nice firetruck, love the colouring.
Haven't posted a MOC in a while myself, ths is mostly due to not having any inspration and partially because my old laptop fried and i lost all my presets and templates in LDD.(usefull parts, completed SNOT assemblies and such)

Thank you. Yeah, after I had sorted my collection I had tons of ideas, but now I'm starting to dry up a little. Inspiration comes slowly, I guess.

I do have one idea though. You often see these beefed up Classic Space sets. I'd like to make a MOC like that, but from another theme, like Town or Aquazone.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

So, my lego direct order arrived after just one week. This is how 33 euros of lego looks like if you have lego cherry pick it.

All the white parts are glow in the dark :D Gears are for various contraptions, and the yellow pulley wheels for the mobile crane wheels.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

The Rage posted:

Uh oh, here comes all the hate you got about the B-Wing sale again.

Honestly, 3 is perfectly reasonable. Online posted limit was 2, plus 1 more in store.

Unfortunately the online limit was not enforced, so people bought 20 online and ruined things for everyone else. Between this and the Mr Gold mess, LEGO needs to think about the consequences of their limited production run items. And the comicon mess.....

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

i81icu812 posted:

Honestly, 3 is perfectly reasonable. Online posted limit was 2, plus 1 more in store.

Unfortunately the online limit was not enforced, so people bought 20 online and ruined things for everyone else. Between this and the Mr Gold mess, LEGO needs to think about the consequences of their limited production run items. And the comicon mess.....

What was the Comicon mess?

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
Lego gives away limited edition figures and sets that are only available at comicon. This goes about as well as you can imagine. Crowd control issues, claims of rigged competitions, and half of the stuff ends up on eBay for absolutely ridiculous prices (try searching eBay for 'Lego green arrow').

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

$600+ for a minifig. :stare:

It's pretty hilarious how badly the internet has managed to gently caress up something as time honored as collecting. It doesn't seem like there's any collectors anymore, it's just people trying to get an easy payday flipping their loot on ebay. Don't get me wrong, I understand the profit motivation for collections has always been there, comic books and baseball cards are evidence enough of that. It's curious to watch how the internet has kicked it into overdrive.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I went and got the Lego Arcitecture Studio kit this afternoon (and the little Minecraft one too to be honest). I haven't bought Lego in years. Right now I'm just organizing it:

Main box: large non-flat bricks
Small rectangle: transparent pieces
Small rectangle: 1xX small parts
Medium box: flat non 1xX non-transparent bricks

The book that came with this is amazing. It's a work of art in itself. I'm going to need to show my coworkers who are architects tomorrow.

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Yeah, LUGBulk is not to be resold. And they have found out about it in the past and thrown a fit about it. AFAIK, anyone can buy a pick-a-brick box. They're usually $75. It's the best way to get bulk brick sometimes. For smaller sizes, it's cheaper than Bricklink and cheaper than LUGBulk.

Four AM. A moonlight field. Two cars pull up and shut their lights off. Dark figures emerge from the vehicles. An aluminum attache case is exchanged and opened. With an approving nod a discreet, unmarked cardboard box is handed over. An aging man reaches in, pulls out a single brick. In the faint glow of a chemlight held by one of his companions he examines it. He rotates it slowly and carefully in his left hand with a micrometer in the right, checking every dimension. His left eye is shut, his right glaring at it through the loupe magnifier on his eye. The numbers on the digital micrometer glow bright red, changing rapidly then slowly as the man makes fine adjustments. In a whisper he mutters numbers. "8.0001... 11.1999... 15.9999." He pauses, he smiles, and finally the old man nods approvingly. Boxes are moved from one vehicle to another and without a single word exchanged the vehicles drive off into the night in opposite directions.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 19, 2013

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008
Foo, have you done a dropship yet?

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Welp, I've been inspired.

//EDIT: Micro-Micro scale mecha time!

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Ika posted:

So, my lego direct order arrived after just one week. This is how 33 euros of lego looks like if you have lego cherry pick it.

All the white parts are glow in the dark :D Gears are for various contraptions, and the yellow pulley wheels for the mobile crane wheels.

33 euro? Man, that probably would've cost you no more than 10 (and probably 75% of that cost is in the glow in the dark bits) off Bricklink.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

fuuuuuuuuuck

that is sweet.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Captain Foo posted:

fuuuuuuuuuck

that is sweet.

AzMiLion posted:

Welp, I've been inspired.

//EDIT: Micro-Micro scale mecha time!

I am bad at dropships, pretty good at space racing craft though, I'll fiddle with ths some more tommorow but this is what I've whipped up for now.

e:it's not a mech either, I'm 2 for 2 on the failing to achieve objectives here. Will render it tommorow once I've got POVray up and runnng again.

Also this is my first assymetrical build!

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Pyroclastic posted:

33 euro? Man, that probably would've cost you no more than 10 (and probably 75% of that cost is in the glow in the dark bits) off Bricklink.

Naw, the gears are a euro each on bricklink, which alone would be 50. The new 200 euro mobile crane is the only set which has them, so your options are parting that out or ordering from lego. The glow in the dark parts also are more expensive on bricklink, once you only list stores which have more than half a dozen. Some of the technic stuff would have been cheaper, but the additional min buy and shipping ended up making it more expensive to order them separately.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

AzMiLion posted:

I am bad at dropships, pretty good at space racing craft though, I'll fiddle with ths some more tommorow but this is what I've whipped up for now.

e:it's not a mech either, I'm 2 for 2 on the failing to achieve objectives here. Will render it tommorow once I've got POVray up and runnng again.

Also this is my first assymetrical build!

that is pretty cool looking! I think my mechs got a lot more visually interesting once I embraced asymmetry. Not that symmetry is always bad, mind you.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

didn't build a dropship, did build this based on one of that guy's mechs though:

NMB-U5 Typhoon (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Orion - Turbo Viper by AzMiLion, on Flickr

Changed it up a bit more and rendered it.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Speaking of ridiculous dropships, I'm building a dropship to hold the Galactic Titan and the Eliminator. I was a little underwhelmed by the Titan in general (sooo much empty space on it), so I wanted to upgrade things a bit.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

What is the mailbox like thing on the outside of the Fire Brigade supposed to be?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

AzMiLion posted:

Orion - Turbo Viper by AzMiLion, on Flickr

Changed it up a bit more and rendered it.

nice! What's your imagined scale for it?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

PriorMarcus posted:

What is the mailbox like thing on the outside of the Fire Brigade supposed to be?

A telephone box. Fire stations in Europe still have them occasionally. So you can talk to someone in the building/fire hq.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

PriorMarcus posted:

Heated baby surrender box.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Captain Foo posted:

Single pilot craft, pretty huge engines, this one has a tiny view from the cockpt though. The pilot bascally has to lie down in this one.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Captain Foo posted:

Well the trans blue piece is the cockpit and they're supposed to be race craft.

His description was "wibbly wobbly spacey racey".

e;f,b

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

cool! I think the mechs I build are supposed to be somewhere on the order of 5-8 meters tall.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

I forgot how much fun you could have with colored lights.

Otterspace
Jul 13, 2006

This is not a good idea.
Colored lights can hypnotize.

(Pretty cool)

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
One downside of the white blocks in the architecture set is that it's a lot harder to photograph. Especially with a beige wall behind and off-white desk below. I had to fiddle a lot with the white balance setting, exposure, and it was difficult for the camera to focus, so I had to do a lot of manual focusing.

ether
May 20, 2001

The crawler is one pretty awesome build, more so considering it's my first technic set I've made since the 8851 Excavator I got for christmas when it was new. I wanted to get the new crane but decided against it because you get everything you need for RC-things for less money. No remorse yet, thinking of taking it apart already to see if I can make a powered torsionbar suspension, although I might just have to buy another crawler to make an 8-wheeled monstrosity then.

As for an actual question: My brinklink/google skills have failed to figure out what that gigantic technic-wheel is as that's at the right side of this guys desk. http://sariel.pl/wp-content/uploads/2010/workbench1.jpg I've seen it in a few MOC's and I really wonder what the original purpose was and where it came from.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Can't check bricklink right now, but if you mean the grey gear like wheel, I think its from ther halfire droid.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

ether posted:

As for an actual question: My brinklink/google skills have failed to figure out what that gigantic technic-wheel is as that's at the right side of this guys desk. http://sariel.pl/wp-content/uploads/2010/workbench1.jpg I've seen it in a few MOC's and I really wonder what the original purpose was and where it came from.

Wheel from 4481 hailfire droid, it was well used as a wheel in a clever way. I recognized that desk, looks like you been digging deep into sariel's technic stuff. He does great things and wrote a book. I got the book when it came out last year it is probably one of the best books for technic lego builders I have read.

ether
May 20, 2001

I ordered the book as well yesterday, he seems to make really smart constructions.

Building the crawler really was a lot more enjoyable then the sets I usually buy to build with my kids. Shame that I now have to push technics on my 7 year old daughter, another step up from making the Firebrigade modular which she did by herself for a good 75% of the build. All in the name of :science:

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

ether posted:

I ordered the book as well yesterday, he seems to make really smart constructions.

Building the crawler really was a lot more enjoyable then the sets I usually buy to build with my kids. Shame that I now have to push technics on my 7 year old daughter, another step up from making the Firebrigade modular which she did by herself for a good 75% of the build. All in the name of :science:

Technic owns, one of my frst big sets was one of the older red giant racecars, my dog shredded the instructions once i was like halfway through though so it never got finished the way it was supposed to be but i made a bitching convertible out of the parts had remaining.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I don't think I've ever built Technic.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

All I had for Technic growing up as a small white motorbike and the Star Wars Episode 1 Pit Droid. Built the pit droid once, then just used the pieces to augment my Bionicle creations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

I don't think I've ever built Technic.

:monocle:

I have entire tub full of technic pieces that I'll sit out on the coffee table and make gears do stupid things while I watch TV.

Occasionally I even make something cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The best is combining Technic with Bionicle to make robots and stuff that actually do things.

I had one whose chest transformed by turning a gear on the back, the only issue was it wasn't really stable. Hard to make something relatively small with good stability while also having heavy amounts of functions!

This is kind of a basic example, but the Skopio XV1 Tank from one of the later Bionicle series had a lot of functions and stuff, it transformed from an H-Tank to a four-legged walking scorpion-robot.