Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007

TracerBullet posted:

Hello pregnancy thread!

My wife is 6 weeks along at this point (hooray!) but has been having moderate cramping (with no bleeding) since we learned she was pregnant. The doctor told us this was normal, but was hoping people here might be able to explain a little bit more about why this cramping happens in early pregnancy. Is there any reason why it might be worse on some days than others? Is there anything she can do to relieve some of the pain naturally?

Gracias.

I experienced this too, around that time. My doctor said it could be caused by the fertilized egg "burrowing" into the uterine lining, so implantation-related, basically. I was also told it was normal. It felt pretty different from menstrual cramps to me. Some things that helped were to try and relax (since I was convinced that feeling crampy=miscarriage) and also stretching out my hip flexors. Google "pigeon pose" for a good yoga pose to try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope

New Weave Wendy posted:

I experienced this too, around that time. My doctor said it could be caused by the fertilized egg "burrowing" into the uterine lining, so implantation-related, basically. I was also told it was normal. It felt pretty different from menstrual cramps to me. Some things that helped were to try and relax (since I was convinced that feeling crampy=miscarriage) and also stretching out my hip flexors. Google "pigeon pose" for a good yoga pose to try.

Awesome, thanks for the quick response. Much appreciated and we'll give the pigeon pose a try!

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

Seven for a Secret posted:

Noooo. :( I guess I'll need to start pumping if she keeps this schedule up. Either that or learn to nurse in my sleep.

I know not everyone is capable of doing it, but learning how to nurse lying down on my side and then sleep through feedings was seriously the best thing ever when my kids were infants. I think it saved my sanity.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
Oh and I forgot to reply about the crampy-ness in early pregnancy. I had it pretty much my entire first trimester, and it was often strong enough to be annoyingly painful. I had spotting with it once, which elicited an ER visit because it was the weekend and the OB wanted me to be seen, but it was nothing at all. It tapered off but I did have some in the second trimester too and was also told it's totally normal.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

My two-week-old has apparently forgotten how to sleep. We went to bed at 9:30pm last night and she nursed for 40 minutes, fussed, nursed for 40 minutes, fussed, over and over until 4:30am. Then she slept for a few hours and now she's wide awake and wanting to nurse again. My husband and I are zombies. Is there something we can do to get her to sleep better or is this just what babies are like?

Congratulations you have a newborn. Read this:

http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/frequent-nursing/

quote:

Adjust your expectations

In the early weeks of breastfeeding, it really helped me to plan my day with the expectation that I would be nursing most of the time. Once I considered frequent nursing to be the norm rather than a problem, it made my life much easier.

http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/

quote:

The following things are normal:

•Frequent and/or long feedings.
•Varying nursing pattern from day to day.
•Cluster nursing (very frequent to constant nursing) for several hours—usually evenings—each day. This may coincide with the normal “fussy time” that most babies have in the early months.
•Growth spurts, where baby nurses more often than usual for several days and may act very fussy. Common growth spurt times in the early weeks are the first few days at home, 7 – 10 days, 2 – 3 weeks and 4 – 6 weeks.

http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurts/

quote:

During a growth spurt, breastfed babies nurse more often than usual (sometimes as often as every hour) and often act fussier than usual.

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012

Noooo. :( I guess I'll need to start pumping if she keeps this schedule up. Either that or learn to nurse in my sleep.

This trick may not work for others but we had my husband comfort her in the evening while I slept, without feeding her. She quickly learned that night was for sleep not food. I then fed her whenever she cried after midnight. She naturally decreased her night feeds gradually from about 4 to 1 by 5 weeks old. (Sometimes zero feeds)

At 2 weeks you are certainly getting no sleep though!

DwemerCog fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Aug 19, 2013

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

DwemerCog posted:

This trick may not work for others but we had my husband comfort her in the evening while I slept, without feeding her. She quickly learned that night was for sleep not food. I then fed her whenever she cried after midnight. She naturally decreased her night feeds gradually from about 4 to 1 by 5 weeks old. (Sometimes zero feeds)

UHHHHHHHHH hate to break it to you but a 5 week old baby still needs to eat at night.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Seriously. Newborns need to eat 8-12 times a day, and that ain't happening if you're refusing to feed at night.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

DwemerCog posted:

Please don't do this. Babies stomachs are so tiny that they need to eat very frequently. When they are so young if they wake it is likely because their tummy is empty.

This too shall pass though. My 9 week old gives us some good stretches of sleep most nights, and has for the past several weeks. I still feed him whenever he wakes at night though.

Edit: she 'naturally' decreased her night feedings because she realized she wasn't going to get her needs met at that time, not because she doesn't need to eat.

sheri fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 19, 2013

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.

sudont posted:

Oh and I forgot to reply about the crampy-ness in early pregnancy. I had it pretty much my entire first trimester, and it was often strong enough to be annoyingly painful. I had spotting with it once, which elicited an ER visit because it was the weekend and the OB wanted me to be seen, but it was nothing at all. It tapered off but I did have some in the second trimester too and was also told it's totally normal.

I never had any spotting, but I cramped through the first trimester, too - or when I wasn't cramping, I was in CRIPPLING pain from a huge cyst on my ovary. It feels scary (and tell your wife to call her doc, TracerBullet, if she's worried) but it's normal.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
My 7 week old baby has started playing with a spinning thing on her baby gym. Well, I say play, she'll hit it and make it spin, look at it with fascination and hit it again and again and again, getting more and more agitated until she's screaming furiously at it and I have to move her away so she'll calm down.
What the hell? Of course I realise that this is just another one of those weird things babies do, but does anyone know what this particular weird thing is all about?

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Sockmuppet posted:

My 7 week old baby has started playing with a spinning thing on her baby gym. Well, I say play, she'll hit it and make it spin, look at it with fascination and hit it again and again and again, getting more and more agitated until she's screaming furiously at it and I have to move her away so she'll calm down.
What the hell? Of course I realise that this is just another one of those weird things babies do, but does anyone know what this particular weird thing is all about?

My son did something similar. He'd kick at the toys hanging down from his baby gym until he apparently got tired, but didn't understand why he was feeling uncomfortable, so he just kept going and going, getting angrier and angrier. :iiam:

Midnight Science
Aug 7, 2009

It will destroy you.

Sockmuppet posted:

rectal cushion posted:

My son did something similar. He'd kick at the toys hanging down from his baby gym until he apparently got tired, but didn't understand why he was feeling uncomfortable, so he just kept going and going, getting angrier and angrier. :iiam:

latent viking rage

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
Jesus Christ people... night "training," scheduling... part of having a baby is that they run your life for at least the first three months. Suck it up and do what is best for the baby, not what is best for you.

There's a reason a lot of the sleep training books don't even start until three months of age.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sudont
May 10, 2011

Fun Shoe
Right around 6 weeks my son started sleeping much longer stretches at night, and it was only then, after he'd regained his birth weight and then some that I got the okay to not wake him to feed him at least every 3-4 hrs. And even with a very healthy, gaining/growing well baby I was told it's okay for him to go longer as long as he's being fed at least every 2 hrs (8-12 feedings) during the day to "make up" for the missed nighttime feedings. I breastfeed him on demand rather than a schedule, so he's getting fed every 1.5-2 hrs anyway, and at night he'll go from 10pmish till 3-4amish, wake up then to be fed/changed, then sleep again till 8am. Breastmilk is fully digested in about 2 hrs from what I've read so they really DO need feeding that often.

Pumping unfortunately isn't as efficient as a nursing baby so replacing needed feedings with pumping might down-regulate your supply. :( The Kellymom links, and Kellymom site in general, were SO helpful for me to not see the constant need to nurse as a problem or bad thing--I don't know if you're in the US but I know in my family, breastfeeding is "weird", and it took a lot of resolve on my part to do what I know is best rather than what everyone else thought best. There were a lot of loooooong nights of no sleep; I'm a single mom, and breastfeeding, and it's been all on me to take care of my son's needs. It's really tough but I promise, just make it through this period of constant to near constant nursing and you'll hit a magical sweet spot (for me it was around 6 weeks) where you get into a routine and it's not quite so constant. I understand the "I just need some sleep", we all do, but your baby doesn't understand "not now I'm tired".

Hang in there. You can do it, and it won't last forever.

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT
Jul 22, 2005

you can prob fix that with a little duct tape and a paper clip

*is MacGyver irl*
Wanted to ask about abdominal achiness/round ligament pain. I went on a walk with my husband last night and about 15 minutes in experienced pain and pressure in the lower right abdomen and pelvic areas. Ouch! We went home, I was becoming worried it was something serious because it really hurt but then it went away almost completely upon laying down. I'll ask my doctor next week, but I understand this sort of thing is common? I get little sharp jabs of pain sometimes (standing up, sudden movement) but also occasional dull achy pain (after walking). I was wondering what others experience was with this sort of thing? Did you have anything like this in the late second trimester?

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Apollo, yes, that's exactly me right now. I'm also finding that sometimes if I sneeze, cough or blow my nose it does something weird to my abdominal muscles and pulls them, which is also quite painful.

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT posted:

Wanted to ask about abdominal achiness/round ligament pain. I went on a walk with my husband last night and about 15 minutes in experienced pain and pressure in the lower right abdomen and pelvic areas. Ouch! We went home, I was becoming worried it was something serious because it really hurt but then it went away almost completely upon laying down. I'll ask my doctor next week, but I understand this sort of thing is common? I get little sharp jabs of pain sometimes (standing up, sudden movement) but also occasional dull achy pain (after walking). I was wondering what others experience was with this sort of thing? Did you have anything like this in the late second trimester?

I've had it the whole time. I found sitting on harder surfaces (like a dining chair instead of a recliner or whatever) helped me out a lot, and laying on my side instead of on my back (even if I was propped up) helped, too. It can be seriously, SERIOUSLY, I-can't-move-or-talk,-don't-look-at-me sharp pain. Mine was probably compounded by hip issues, but fortunately (?) it's normal!

Bellmeistr
Jul 2, 2007

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT posted:

My wife has been experiencing the same thing recently (start of the second trimester). It woke her up one night in tears it was so painful. Our doctors have all said it's normal and don't be afraid of Tylenol. Everything else with the pregnancy has been pretty smooth so far so it was my first "oh poo poo bad things can happen" moment and spooked us both a bit. I made sure the OBGYN's emergency number was close by after that, just in case.

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT
Jul 22, 2005

you can prob fix that with a little duct tape and a paper clip

*is MacGyver irl*
I'm glad to hear it is a regular pregnancy thing, but it does suck to deal with. In the span of the last couple weeks I've gone from "I'm going to power walk a mile around the lake!!" to "I'm going to curl up on the couch" :ohdear:

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012

sheri posted:

Please don't do this. Babies stomachs are so tiny that they need to eat very frequently. When they are so young if they wake it is likely because their tummy is empty.

This too shall pass though. My 9 week old gives us some good stretches of sleep most nights, and has for the past several weeks. I still feed him whenever he wakes at night though.

Edit: she 'naturally' decreased her night feedings because she realized she wasn't going to get her needs met at that time, not because she doesn't need to eat.

I feel very bad if this is the case. I do feed her every time she wakes, but she just doesn't wake any more (except once a night sometimes). I told the pediatrician all about this and she didn't even shrug.

I guess I could wake the baby to feed her, but this seems mean somehow.

Just off to wake my sleeping baby to feed her :( *Guilt*

I'll phone the pediatrician tomorrow and confirm it is OK, but they tend to get a funny look in their eyes when you say "I read this thing on the internet" :)

DwemerCog fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 20, 2013

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

If she's not waking up now don't wake her. Just not a technique I'd recommend to start, especially for a super young baby.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Yeah, no one is saying you need to wake a sleeping baby (unless they haven't met their birth weight), but letting her dad soothe her to "teach her nights weren't for food" when she was a newborn is just mean. Nights ARE for food when your stomach is the size of a small egg and all you eat is milk. Babies are especially fussy in the evenings and like to cluster feed then. See here: http://kellymom.com/parenting/parenting-faq/fussy-evening/

Advising others to do the same can set a mother up for supply issues with breastfeeding and causes unnecessary hunger and stress to your baby.

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012

Chickalicious posted:

Yeah, no one is saying you need to wake a sleeping baby (unless they haven't met their birth weight), but letting her dad soothe her to "teach her nights weren't for food" when she was a newborn is just mean. Nights ARE for food when your stomach is the size of a small egg and all you eat is milk. Babies are especially fussy in the evenings and like to cluster feed then. See here: http://kellymom.com/parenting/parenting-faq/fussy-evening/

Advising others to do the same can set a mother up for supply issues with breastfeeding and causes unnecessary hunger and stress to your baby.

I feel like a monster now :(

The baby enjoyed her surprise feed though.

I really didn't deny her food; she ate through the night in the early days (got a lot of reading done) but it naturally dropped off. Also I did feed her whenever her dad couldn't calm her in the evenings. I wasn't starving her or doing any "cry it out stuff" and my supply is plentiful.

But she is light for her age, so I guess I'll start setting the alarm to make sure she feeds in the night (3 months old now). She was feeding in the night last week but this week she has not woken up, so I guess I'll wake her. She always goes back to sleep pretty quickly.

I did check with the pediatrician to make sure it was OK for a young baby to sleep through the night and she said it was.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
As I've mentioned before, it can wreck havoc on your supply if you're breastfeeding. You want to be nursing at least eight times per day.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

I don't think you need to wake her up at this point unless the pediatrician thinks she needs to be eating more. At 3 months she's old enough that it's not unusual to only wake once a night. But if she does wake, I'd stick to just feeding her and not try to night wean until she's a bit older, especially since she's on the light side.

I don't think not nursing her overnight is going to hurt your milk supply if it hasn't already. But for someone with a younger baby where supply is just getting established it could cause issues to not feed overnight.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Ceridwen posted:

I don't think not nursing her overnight is going to hurt your milk supply if it hasn't already. But for someone with a younger baby where supply is just getting established it could cause issues to not feed overnight.

Prolactin levels are the highest between the hours of 12 am and 5 am, so if supply is a concern at all (which it would be to me if breastfeeding was not occurring on demand at any point before the shift at 12 weeks postpartum from hormonally driven to supply and demand driven), a nursing or pumping session during this time period can be very important to keeping supply established.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

skeetied posted:

Prolactin levels are the highest between the hours of 12 am and 5 am, so if supply is a concern at all (which it would be to me if breastfeeding was not occurring on demand at any point before the shift at 12 weeks postpartum from hormonally driven to supply and demand driven), a nursing or pumping session during this time period can be very important to keeping supply established.

Yeah but she says the baby is 3 months now. So she's into the supply and demand period. If she's not currently having supply issues I can't see why they would start now from not waking the baby up overnight.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Ceridwen posted:

Yeah but she says the baby is 3 months now. So she's into the supply and demand period. If she's not currently having supply issues I can't see why they would start now from not waking the baby up overnight.

I would still be cautious, especially if her cycle hasn't returned yet. Not breastfeeding on demand is strongly associated with low milk supply and early cessation of breastfeeding.

Seven for a Secret
Apr 5, 2009
Thanks for all the nursing/sleep advice. This is grueling but it's good to know it's to be expected and not something we're doing wrong.

I can say that with magnanimity because last night our nursing alarm didn't go off and we all slept for five straight hours, which felt incredible. She's been fussing/nursing/fussing/nursing since then but I still want to award her the Nobel peace prize for that block of sleep.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

skeetied posted:

I would still be cautious, especially if her cycle hasn't returned yet. Not breastfeeding on demand is strongly associated with low milk supply and early cessation of breastfeeding.

Her feeding her baby overnights, however often it happens, has been going on for a couple months. Any supply issues would likely have shown themselves by now.

Dwermer-- at 3 months, if your baby is happy (as far as babies go) and gaining weight well, don't wake her.

But, for everyone with a new baby, when they wake up in those early weeks, regardless of the time of day or night, chances are they are hungry and need to eat. Babies are expected to double their birth weight within nine months? Six? And they have a stomach the size of their fist so they need to eat a lot.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

sheri posted:

Her feeding her baby overnights, however often it happens, has been going on for a couple months. Any supply issues would likely have shown themselves by now.

As I said, that is not necessarily true, especially if her cycle hasn't come back or she plans to go back to work. I'm not saying that there absolutely will be a problem, but for many women, there would be. High prolactin levels (which are boosted by frequent nursing in the beginning months) are what set the "high" point for a supply. While she may be making enough now, her baby may want more and not be able to get it later or other hormonal changes (menstrual cycle) may impact it. It's one of the most common reasons for low milk supply so I think it's worth being aware of.

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012
I do feed my baby on demand. However she does not demand it very much in the night. She has problems with spitting up, so she sleeps sounder if she doesn't eat at night. I woke her to feed last night as recommended by this thread and she spit up in her sleep (which rarely happens), and it woke and upset her :(

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

NO ONE SAID YOU SHOULD WAKE A SLEEPING BABY WITH NO WEIGHT GAIN ISSUES.

The discussion was set off by you saying you left her with your husband when she was less than 6 weeks old during the standard fussy evening time "to teach her that nights are not for food" instead of feeding her and you offered that as advice to someone. It is bad advice. Restricting feeding in the newborn phase can be bad for the mother's supply and can cause weight gain problems in a newborn.

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012

Chickalicious posted:

NO ONE SAID YOU SHOULD WAKE A SLEEPING BABY WITH NO WEIGHT GAIN ISSUES.

But she does have weight gain issues. She spits up a lot which I assumed was the reason, but I'm willing to give other suggestions a try.

Sorry if I have been offensive. I am genuinely trying to share and learn.

I'm a bit moody right now as the pediatrician advised me to cut out dairy and soy in my diet, and it turns out that pretty much everything has dairy and soy so I have eaten very little this past 24 hours before the new groceries turned up :(

sudont
May 10, 2011

Fun Shoe
I think Dwemer might be feeling really guilty and attacked and in sleep deprived panic mode. Sorry. :(

My son had his 2 month checkup today and is 10 lbs 14 oz and 22.5 inches. (I forgot his head measurement, she did it twice which made me nervous but she showed me the graph and he was dead on target for all growth, so I didn't worry after that. 16 inches or something?) He has the very beginnings of a yeast rash, so we got some Nystatin. I just switched to cloth diapers about a week and a half ago, so I assume the fact that they stay wetter isn't helping. I change him within minutes of him wetting/dirtying because he's a bit of a howler monkey when wet/dirty, so "change him more often" doesn't really work! Gotta disinfect them all, fun.

He also got four vaccinations, and took them like a champ. He screamed, of course, but within a couple minutes he fell asleep, woke up to nurse when we got home, and has been slightly out of sorts but not overly fussy, so here's hoping.

I was a little annoyed, because the nurse practitioner said offhandedly, "make sure you're not rocking him to sleep every night, or else you'll be doing it forever--you should put him down slightly awake but sleepy, and if he cries it's okay to let him cry and soothe himself." Uh, no. He's 9 weeks old, he can't self soothe, if he cries for more than a minute or two I'm picking him up and comforting him. He's actually really good at falling asleep without needing me to rock him or anything, and I'm fairly certain it's because he knows I'm there and will respond if he needs me, he doesn't have to cry to make sure. He sleeps in his own basinette next to my bed and has been for the past few weeks. I also was supposed to be giving him vitamin drops with added D because I'm breastfeeding, and this was noted in his records last visit that I was given the prescription, but I wasn't. I picked them up and will start tonight, not a big deal, but you feel like a terrible mom when they ask, "So you've been giving him the vitamin drops right?" Oops. The pediatrician he sees is definitely more attachment-friendly so I'm not concerned enough to do anything, and I liked this nurse practitioner's demeanor and how she took time with me despite the anti-attachment stuff.

I've also been exclusively breastfeeding since his last checkup, which I'm proud of. I really struggled emotionally with breastfeeding. I was very lucky that physically (other than the initial pain) it was easy for me but I've found it challenging in ways I never even expected. I would supplement once or twice a day just to get a break. We hit our stride a couple weeks ago though, and when I thought back today when she asked if I was EBF or supplementing, I realized that he'd been EBF since last she asked. For me, personally, "I don't like it/it's hard" wasn't a good enough reason to quit breastfeeding, and I'm very glad I kept it up, but I 100% support your right to do what's best for your own child.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

DwemerCog posted:

But she does have weight gain issues. She spits up a lot which I assumed was the reason, but I'm willing to give other suggestions a try.

Sorry if I have been offensive. I am genuinely trying to share and learn.

I'm a bit moody right now as the pediatrician advised me to cut out dairy and soy in my diet, and it turns out that pretty much everything has dairy and soy so I have eaten very little this past 24 hours before the new groceries turned up :(

The weight gain issues could definitely be a food intolerance or allergy issue.

The easiest way to cut dairy and soy out of your diet is to modify meals you already enjoy that are soy and dairy free. You don't have to think longterm yet. Do it for two weeks and see what happens. Meat + rice + veggie is a great meal and requires no soy or dairy. I ate a lot of chicken and rice with veggie sides when I was breastfeeding my first son.

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

The easiest way to cut dairy and soy out of your diet is to modify meals you already enjoy that are soy and dairy free. You don't have to think longterm yet. Do it for two weeks and see what happens. Meat + rice + veggie is a great meal and requires no soy or dairy. I ate a lot of chicken and rice with veggie sides when I was breastfeeding my first son.

It is complicated by the fact that I am not living in my home at the moment and don't have access to my own kitchen and supplies. So I have been eating out, but I'm not sure if I trust restaurants to know if their menu items have things like casein in them.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

DwemerCog posted:

It is complicated by the fact that I am not living in my home at the moment and don't have access to my own kitchen and supplies. So I have been eating out, but I'm not sure if I trust restaurants to know if their menu items have things like casein in them.

Yeah, that sucks. The only restaurant I let my dairy and egg-allergic kid eat at is Outback Steakhouse. They're really good at educating their staff. So if there's one in your area, go there and eat the delicious things! Just inform them of your allergy while you order food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sudont
May 10, 2011

Fun Shoe
Also, Chickalicious thanks for your post with links/quotes. I read a lot of Kellymom in those loooooong early nights of non-stop nursing, and I just sent them along to my sister in law. She's due in October, and has a younger sister who is militantly pro-breastfeeding, and will it as as "I did something you can't do" and I'm afraid that if my sis in law can't do it "up to her standards" she'll give up because of all the stress. So she's glad to have me to talk to as well because, while I advocate for breastfeeding, I try to give her evidence-based, down to earth reassurance rather than "formula is poison" and "you better not get an epidural" even though her sister had one. Ugh.