Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grammar Fascist
May 29, 2004
Y-O-U-R, Y-O-U-Apostrophe-R-E... They're as different as night and day. Don't you think that night and day are different? What's wrong with you?

Mnemosyne posted:

Has anyone here ever used the "tie chair" fabric things that are supposed to work like a high chair?
We have one of these
Inglesina Fast Table Chair and it's been great. It's not as collapsible as a fabric tie, but it folds down, is light, and is really sturdy.

We also have a long road trip coming up... Any recommendations for a good car window shade? The one we picked up at Target falls off constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
We just ordered this http://www.amazon.com/BRICA-Travel-...ter+chair+brica and LOVE it for the times we've used it. It folds down super thin and is very light for if you're going on an airplane. They carry it online at Bed, Bath, & Beyond too, so you can get it a little cheaper by ordering in-store and using a coupon. The only downside for early-on is that it's only a 3-point harness.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

bamzilla posted:

I've thought about this cause I'd like to be able to carry it wherever without the bulk of a booster, but some of the reviews mention it's a pain since the kid can't reach the table to eat their food. Has that been an issue that you've noticed? I think it'd be especially handy as we do a lot of road trips and the booster takes up a lot of space in the trunk if we need to pack things for a week long stay somewhere.

We never had problems, but I think my kid might be Stretch Armstrong because it seems that no matter how far away from the table he is, David always finds a way to get his hands on things we don't want him to touch. Like his mom's glass of wine.

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force
Is there any way to teach my 5 mo old how to roll belly to back again?
About 2 weeks ago he first rolled belly to back a couple times then started back to belly a few days later. Now he constantly rolls onto his belly and gets upset a few minutes later when he wants to be on his back. If this was only during the day I'd roll with it but getting woken up in the middle of the night because of it is a bummer. Not that he always sleeps through the night but when he wakes up just to eat he's much more calm.

randomfuss
Dec 30, 2006
Hello thread.

My 1 year old wakes up at night. Every two loving hours. 1am, 3am, 5am. He stands up and screams. Sometimes, he just wants to be hold. For one hour. Sometimes, milk will put him right back to sleep. Any help? We've been dealing with that for 2 weeks now (before, he would wake up and scream every 4 hours). I know it will be over sometimes, but I have to wake up at 6 to go to work, and even if I can run on 4 hours of sleep a night, being waked up every 2 hours just does not do it.

He has his own room but usually at 3am when we go in we just collapse. He's weaned. He's a lovely child during the day, eats well and is of average wight/length.

Thanks for any advice, we'll try anything that is not CIO (we just can't).

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

randomfuss posted:

Hello thread.

My 1 year old wakes up at night. Every two loving hours. 1am, 3am, 5am. He stands up and screams. Sometimes, he just wants to be hold. For one hour. Sometimes, milk will put him right back to sleep. Any help? We've been dealing with that for 2 weeks now (before, he would wake up and scream every 4 hours). I know it will be over sometimes, but I have to wake up at 6 to go to work, and even if I can run on 4 hours of sleep a night, being waked up every 2 hours just does not do it.

He has his own room but usually at 3am when we go in we just collapse. He's weaned. He's a lovely child during the day, eats well and is of average wight/length.

Thanks for any advice, we'll try anything that is not CIO (we just can't).

Is he teething? My 13 month old has been doing this lately and even waking up for the day at 5am with a night waking at around 12-1am. He's almost always got his fist shoved in to his mouth and is super drooly/snotty. Nothing has really helped yet, but we're going to try pushing back his bedtime about 2 hours (he usually is a complete mess by 6pm, but we're going to try to keep him awake until 8pm). I can report back!

randomfuss
Dec 30, 2006
He's not teething. He already has 6 teeth. They came out in 2 batches and he would be miserable all day. He also had a fever. Now he just wakes up at night and screams, not at all the same symptoms.

Larch Tote
Mar 10, 2007

...in the world.
Is he close to walking, or has he just started to walk? Sometimes sleep interruptions come when babies are reaching milestones like that. My 13 month old did the same thing for a few weeks, where he'd stand up in his crib and cry and need snuggles and milk to get back to sleep. This week he's started to sleep somewhat normally again. The only thing that worked for us was throwing everything at him to wear him out - lots of outside time, car rides, warm baths, etc. We even let him sleep in his car seat just to get a few hours of peace. If it is related to his development, it should (hopefully) pass soon.

randomfuss
Dec 30, 2006
He may be close to walking as your description pretty matches the behavior. But our first has been close to walking for 3 months (but instead of waking up every 2 hours he would wake us all at 5). I don't know how we can survive 3 months of this.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!
I've probably mentioned this in the thread before but when my kids' sleep goes seriously out of wack like that it usually means they have an ear infection.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
I haven't been in this thread in a while, but I skimmed back the last couple of pages and didn't see any discussion of this recently, so:

Teeth and breastfeeding. I have an adorable little nine-month-old who is nursing, and OH GOD THE TEETH. The problem isn't exactly that my guy is biting me. He's done that a few times, and I yelped and pulled away. But the way he latches on means that his horrible sharp little teeth are digging into my nipples the whole time, and I can't really keep this up.

At nine months can he re-learn latching? Should I find a lactation consultant? I don't want to switch him away from breastmilk this early, but this is not working very well. Dude's drawing blood and my nipples don't get a chance to heal up all the way before the little shark is ready for another round.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

I haven't been in this thread in a while, but I skimmed back the last couple of pages and didn't see any discussion of this recently, so:

Teeth and breastfeeding. I have an adorable little nine-month-old who is nursing, and OH GOD THE TEETH. The problem isn't exactly that my guy is biting me. He's done that a few times, and I yelped and pulled away. But the way he latches on means that his horrible sharp little teeth are digging into my nipples the whole time, and I can't really keep this up.

At nine months can he re-learn latching? Should I find a lactation consultant? I don't want to switch him away from breastmilk this early, but this is not working very well. Dude's drawing blood and my nipples don't get a chance to heal up all the way before the little shark is ready for another round.

You could switch to pumping and bottle feeding, which would help transition him towards non-breast milk in the future.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

Volmarias posted:

You could switch to pumping and bottle feeding, which would help transition him towards non-breast milk in the future.

Haha, that's a whole lot of unecessary work for an easily solved problem!

I had a similar issue when mine first got teeth. It took a week to get back to comfortable nursing and involved me using creative positioning to keep his teeth away from previously irritated areas. Then suddenly it was fine again. When he's truly nursing to drink, his bottom teeth will be covered by his tongue. You may need to model a big "aaaaahh" mouth for him to open wide and get a properly deep latch.

Some of the tips here might help: https://www.llli.org/faq/teeth.html

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

randomfuss posted:

He's not teething. He already has 6 teeth. They came out in 2 batches and he would be miserable all day. He also had a fever. Now he just wakes up at night and screams, not at all the same symptoms.

My son has 8 teeth and yea, is miserable most of the day ;) I didn't think it would be out of the realm of possibilities, though.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...

Chickalicious posted:

Haha, that's a whole lot of unecessary work for an easily solved problem!

I had a similar issue when mine first got teeth. It took a week to get back to comfortable nursing and involved me using creative positioning to keep his teeth away from previously irritated areas. Then suddenly it was fine again. When he's truly nursing to drink, his bottom teeth will be covered by his tongue. You may need to model a big "aaaaahh" mouth for him to open wide and get a properly deep latch.

Some of the tips here might help: https://www.llli.org/faq/teeth.html

Oh, thank you! That's a great link. I hope not to have to deal with pumping. We'll try changing up positions a bit and being nice to my nipples, and hope things heal up a bit soon. Man, his sister didn't have this problem. She bit a few times when she was teething but really quickly worked out a comfortable latch again.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

The LC at the clinic here says if they bite to pull their head in toward your body for a few seconds instead of pulling away.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
Every time Kosta got a new tooth, it hurt to nurse for a few days, but now he has a whole mouthfull of them and I barely notice he's latched. Just try to let yourself heal and air out, if you can. :( The bleeding sounds horrible.

Volmarias, I'm not anti-bottle, but that's a bizarre suggestion. Pumping and bottle-feeding takes so much more time, effort, and money than breastfeeding, and she's already got that down. Secondly, kids don't need to be prepped for drinking non-breastmilk fluids--they take to it naturally when the time comes and they're ready. Finally, you don't give them those fluids in a baby bottle typically--you do a straw cup or sippy, so that wouldn't be helping the baby transition at all.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Ben Davis posted:

Every time Kosta got a new tooth, it hurt to nurse for a few days, but now he has a whole mouthfull of them and I barely notice he's latched. Just try to let yourself heal and air out, if you can. :( The bleeding sounds horrible.

Volmarias, I'm not anti-bottle, but that's a bizarre suggestion. Pumping and bottle-feeding takes so much more time, effort, and money than breastfeeding, and she's already got that down. Secondly, kids don't need to be prepped for drinking non-breastmilk fluids--they take to it naturally when the time comes and they're ready. Finally, you don't give them those fluids in a baby bottle typically--you do a straw cup or sippy, so that wouldn't be helping the baby transition at all.

I was using bottle as a generic term; you're right, a sippy cup or whatever they're ready for. I can say that Alex didn't really want to drink water; we were able to get her to switch from formula to regular milk at least, which was a pretty nice change.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
I second airing out and trying new positions.

C has two bottom teeth and bumps all over his gums. In certain positions its terrible. Others not too bad.

On food eating note: we tried oatmeal for the past few days and squash tonight - he loved them! Well... Made faces at them. But kept coming back for more, so I'm assuming they're fine. Haha. He is 6 months as of last Thursday, weighing in at 19 lbs 7.5 oz and 27 inches long. I'm not sure where his heights coming from. We're both short and fat.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

Oh, thank you! That's a great link. I hope not to have to deal with pumping. We'll try changing up positions a bit and being nice to my nipples, and hope things heal up a bit soon. Man, his sister didn't have this problem. She bit a few times when she was teething but really quickly worked out a comfortable latch again.

For the healing portion, moist wound healing is currently considered superior to any other kind for sore/hurt nipples. Freshly expressed breast milk on your nipples is generally the best treatment, although you can also use hydrogel pads too. I personally loved the Soothies ones stuck in the fridge. They're expensive but you can wear a set for quite a while before needing to replace them.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!
For the past 2 nights, the little man has been waking up every hour. Just hooting. No crying. Perpetual. Hooting.

He's 4 months + 3 weeks. What the gently caress is this all about?

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Dandy Shrew posted:

For the past 2 nights, the little man has been waking up every hour. Just hooting. No crying. Perpetual. Hooting.

He's 4 months + 3 weeks. What the gently caress is this all about?

That happened when Simon turned 4 months. He's currently 6 months and still doing it. Good luck.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
Welcome to the four month sleep regression :smithicide:

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Anybody have any suggestions on foods to feed a child transitioning from baby food to 100% solid food? We are trying to find good lunch and dinner ideas for my daughter, so far I have made tons of little pancakes and froze those for fast breakfast along with stove top oatmeal and fruits.

We have done PB&j, cheese quesodillas, sliced fruit, animal crackers, chicken nuggets, cheese sticks and for dinner we just kind of give her what ever we are eating. I am curious on what you all did for veggies, I am going to mix parsnips with potatoes for a meal, we have tried roasted veggies with some success, maybe try steamed instead.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Rythe posted:

Anybody have any suggestions on foods to feed a child transitioning from baby food to 100% solid food? We are trying to find good lunch and dinner ideas for my daughter, so far I have made tons of little pancakes and froze those for fast breakfast along with stove top oatmeal and fruits.

We have done PB&j, cheese quesodillas, sliced fruit, animal crackers, chicken nuggets, cheese sticks and for dinner we just kind of give her what ever we are eating. I am curious on what you all did for veggies, I am going to mix parsnips with potatoes for a meal, we have tried roasted veggies with some success, maybe try steamed instead.

My son loves anything shaped like a French fry, especially with something to dip it in. Sweet potatoes are probably his absolute favorite.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Rythe posted:

Our little girl didn't really want to eat baby food, so we did Baby Lead Weaning. We just started feeding her foods that she was actually able to eat (nothing she couldn't chew, nothing that could be an unknown allergy, etc) that we were having, which actually worked out great. She was enthusiastic to be eating the same things that we were eating, and she didn't have any trouble with it at all.

Uncooked veggies and roasted veggies are always a big hit. The common stuff like peas, carrots, broccoli, etc is fine, but she actually loves some fruits like prunes and dried nectarines for some odd reason too :3: Just start feeding her things and see what she'll eat and what she won't.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
This is really just a whine, but my 17 year old announced last night that he wants to go to Amsterdam with his friends for his 18th. I don't want him to go to Amsterdam, I barely even cope with him going to Glasgow for the day. I know as a parent I should be supportive and trust him to not do anything stupid, and he's going to be off to college or uni in a year anyway. But the thought of him being more than a car journey away terrifies me, I wish they stayed kids forever.

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama
My 4 and a half month old is cutting his first tooth and is having a horrible time sleeping. Waking up frequently and really restless. Any advice to help him?

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

An Cat Dubh posted:

My 4 and a half month old is cutting his first tooth and is having a horrible time sleeping. Waking up frequently and really restless. Any advice to help him?

Tylenol or Ibuprofen just before bed.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

^^ yup.

An Cat Dubh posted:

What have you tried?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

hookerbot 5000 posted:

This is really just a whine, but my 17 year old announced last night that he wants to go to Amsterdam with his friends for his 18th. I don't want him to go to Amsterdam, I barely even cope with him going to Glasgow for the day. I know as a parent I should be supportive and trust him to not do anything stupid, and he's going to be off to college or uni in a year anyway. But the thought of him being more than a car journey away terrifies me, I wish they stayed kids forever.

I can only imagine, I keep telling myself when that day comes you just have to trust you raised them right and they have the faculties to make smart decisions. My daughter is only 3 1/2 and I find myself wondering at what age does parenting stop being effective. Will a 14 year old actual listen to you and take your advice? When does the I'm smarter than everyone else phase start :smith:

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
What's the recommended time to wait between introducing new foods? Today will be day 3 of squash and we haven't seen any allergy symptoms. I was thinking 4.

Also, how much do you start out giving? We do oatmeal for breakfast and I make about a serving size (3 1/2 - 4 tablespoons with 2-3 oz breastmilk) but I'm only doing 2 oz of puréed fruits and veggies.

Thomase
Mar 18, 2009
My son (23 mos)... well he's a biter. Not just a biter, but an angry potentially sociopathic biter. His natural reaction to pain, anger or frustration is to lash out with either his mini talons or his teeth.

For example, my wife is pregnant again, we went out to the maternity store to buy her some new duds and he was getting restless inside so I took him out for a walk. We were walking and he fell, scraped his face a little and when I went to comfort him not only did he give my lip a nice gash with his nails but also bit into my shoulder.

It didn't break the skin this time but it has previously. We've tried voicing our pain, we've tried "crying" but generally this just results in laughter.

What can we do? Because there's nothing scarier than a child with a full set of teeth and no empathy.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
My 2 yr old has started insisting on sleeping with a sippy cup of milk. He doesn't drink it, he just wants to hold it. Denial results in a huge, thrashing tantrum. How can we break this cycle? We've tried offering a stuffed animal and making sure he has his blanket to no avail. My husband tells me it started shortly after I left for eight weeks (stupid employment). We hoped that my return would naturally end the situation, but no such luck.

Thomase
Mar 18, 2009

Brennanite posted:

My 2 yr old has started insisting on sleeping with a sippy cup of milk. He doesn't drink it, he just wants to hold it. Denial results in a huge, thrashing tantrum. How can we break this cycle? We've tried offering a stuffed animal and making sure he has his blanket to no avail. My husband tells me it started shortly after I left for eight weeks (stupid employment). We hoped that my return would naturally end the situation, but no such luck.

Crying it out isn't an option?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Brennanite posted:

Why don't you want him sleeping with it?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Brennanite posted:

Can you give him an empty sippy cup? Or put something else in it so it has weight, like a sock? Or if he needs some liquid you could give him some reusable ice cubes?

Thomase posted:

What can we do? Because there's nothing scarier than a child with a full set of teeth and no empathy.

Do you discipline him when he does it, like time-outs or removal of toys or denial of treats or anything like that?

Lullabee posted:

What's the recommended time to wait between introducing new foods? Today will be day 3 of squash and we haven't seen any allergy symptoms. I was thinking 4.

I'm pretty sure that theory was disproved. My Google-fu is not working right now, but I am positive I read an article saying if there was an allergic reaction it would happen right away, not a few days later.

EDIT: Found one article discussing it: http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/4daywaitrule.htm#.UhJSvoW0Yy4

VorpalBunny fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 19, 2013

Thomase
Mar 18, 2009

VorpalBunny posted:

Do you discipline him when he does it, like time-outs or removal of toys or denial of treats or anything like that?

Yes, we sit him on his bum. Ignore any tantrums until he has calmed down. When he's calmed down, we ask if he is all done, he does his hand thing and he can resume activities.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Thomase posted:

Crying it out isn't an option?

He has quite the endurance and the neighbors are only so understanding, so straight-up CIO is our very last resort.

Papercut posted:

Why don't you want him sleeping with it?

My only concern is it leaking or he'll wake up six hours and try to drink the milk (which has now been sitting out for six hours). My husband is more concerned about it being some weird emotional connection. (He also cut out the pacifier while I was gone, which I disagreed with, but we've worked that out.)

VorpalBunny posted:

Can you give him an empty sippy cup? Or put something else in it so it has weight, like a sock? Or if he needs some liquid you could give him some reusable ice cubes?

I've tried giving him a sippy cup with water in it, but no dice. It's weird. He wasn't that big of a milk drinker before I left and now it's all he wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

FWIW our pediatrician and dentist are both very anti going to bed with drinks.