Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AltoidsAddict
Sep 13, 2007

when they're yours you'll love them
Hospitals in rural or semi-rural areas have very limited hours. If you can't attract enough doctors, you can't stay open. In some areas there are no doctors available at all and you have to go to the federal government and ask for your hospital to be put into a program where in exchange for a green card someone from overseas will come and work for a certain number of years.

I've driven four hours for an open emergency room after 5 p.m. The one I eventually found was lovely because they can only get lovely doctors and aren't eligible for the green card program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrHerpington
Dec 20, 2012

;-*
http://thoughtcatalog.com/2013/the-25-dumbest-clients-ever-in-the-history-of-the-world/

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

"Look at these idiots who don't know the technical aspects of the job they pay me to do!"

Do these people not realize that if these people knew everything about whatever they're asking dumb questions about, they wouldn't need them?

DrHerpington
Dec 20, 2012

;-*

FrozenVent posted:

"Look at these idiots who don't know the technical aspects of the job they pay me to do!"

Do these people not realize that if these people knew everything about whatever they're asking dumb questions about, they wouldn't need them?

I think it's fake stories by people who don't get hired because they're jerks but insist it's because other are dumb.

Silly Hippie
Sep 18, 2007

Splicer posted:

This is poo poo that kind of happened ish? There was a site called "comerobme" whichscanned twitter and facebook for keywords like "Holidays" and such and then posted them. It was all automatic, and the guy who did it did it as a proof of concept to show how utterly stupid it was to post this kind of thing online.

Also every time I read this thread I get Bohemian Rhapsody stuck in my head for an hour.

I'm sure it's possible. Is this what you're talking about? Proving a point is one thing though, and I'm sure a smart thief could totally use social media to figure out when to hit your house. It's just the idea of them sharing this all that cracks me up. And honestly, most minor criminals like that are really, really dumb.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Silly Hippie posted:

I'm sure it's possible. Is this what you're talking about? Proving a point is one thing though, and I'm sure a smart thief could totally use social media to figure out when to hit your house. It's just the idea of them sharing this all that cracks me up. And honestly, most minor criminals like that are really, really dumb.
That's the one. It's much tamer now, at first launch it was a live feed of people who's houses were available for robbing.

DrHerpington
Dec 20, 2012

;-*

Splicer posted:

That's the one. It's much tamer now, at first launch it was a live feed of people who's houses were available for robbing.

It's also probably making rounds because the ring of thieves that robbed celebrities (nobody wants to rob people's loving goon lairs) did use social media to learn when the celebs would be out of their house, and a movie about it just came out.

And people think their crapola is worth stealing.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

quote:

CLIENT: “My internet isn’t working, and I need to check my flight number, and my stocks, etc.”

ME: “What are you emailing me from?”

CLIENT: “What do you mean? A computer obviously.”

(6 minutes pass while I wait for him to put it together)

CLIENT: “Hello? Are you going to help me or not??”

It could be a problem with his browser, or even a problem with the DNS not resolving, but I'll make him wait for six minutes because he said 'internet' and not 'browser' or 'web site'. I'm an IT guy! :downs:

Djeser has a new favorite as of 04:09 on Aug 19, 2013

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

DrHerpington posted:

From the "ask a strip club DJ" thread:

I'll never get tired of the internet's naivete about strip clubs. "You won't believe what happened. This stripper just came up to me and started flirting out of nowhere. She even told me I wasn't like all the other guys. My PUA mind control techniques are totally paying off."

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Djeser posted:

It could be a problem with his browser, or even a problem with the DNS not resolving, but I'll make him wait for six minutes because he said 'internet' and not 'browser' or 'web site'. I'm an IT guy! :downs:

That confuses me so much. Something must actually be wrong or else he wouldn't be emailing in the first place!

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

WickedHate posted:

That confuses me so much. Something must actually be wrong or else he wouldn't be emailing in the first place!

We actually had someone try this at my tech support job. He argued with a client that his Internet connection must be OK because he was able to e-mail. Our clients were all law firms, and the e-mail and web access were run through different systems at this particular firm. The system that handled web access had just shat itself and defaulted to DENY EVERYTHING mode, and IT didn't find out about it for several more minutes because he spent most of a ten-minute call trying to convince the caller that their Internet connection was fine rather than even trying to troubleshoot anything.

Management wasn't too thrilled with him arguing with a client rather than even taking a second to ask for clarification. He didn't last very much longer, because he was constantly pulling poo poo like this. I think what got him fired was when a call from another team's firm rolled over to him, and he violated more than a few of our own internal rules on that call (first and foremost, you do not ever say "I don't normally handle your firm", which he did).

I think that's what always makes me shake my head at a lot of the NAR stuff - I've personally known people who have gotten fired on the spot for some of the bullshit these people claim to have gotten congratulated, promoted, and married for.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

I think that's what always makes me shake my head at a lot of the NAR stuff - I've personally known people who have gotten fired on the spot for some of the bullshit these people claim to have gotten congratulated, promoted, and married for.

Mostly because they're children who have never had jobs, but think being a computer janitor is some grand calling in life that sets you above the masses. Woop de loving doo, your client doesn't know the difference between his web proxy being down and "the google is broken", shut up and do your drat job.

Seriously, it's always computers. There's never any "I had a patient today who didn't know the difference between LDL and HDL, and thought low triglycerides was a bad thing!" stories.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

The saddest thing is that I recognized pretty much all of these stories as originally appearing on clientsfromhell.net.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Pretty Lady Blob posted:

I'll never get tired of the internet's naivete about strip clubs. "You won't believe what happened. This stripper just came up to me and started flirting out of nowhere. She even told me I wasn't like all the other guys. My PUA mind control techniques are totally paying off."

This is not bragging, trust me, but dating a stripper is as easy as not being creepy in most cities. Also, dating a stripper sucks.

Edit: there are good people in every walk of life, I'm not saying any or all strippers are bad. If your bragging point is dating one or taking one home, however, evaluate your situation.

Grassy Knowles has a new favorite as of 09:12 on Aug 19, 2013

DrHerpington
Dec 20, 2012

;-*

Kaizoku posted:

This is not bragging, trust me, but dating a stripper is as easy as not being creepy in most cities. Also, dating a stripper sucks.

Edit: there are good people in every walk of life, I'm not saying any or all strippers are bad. If your bragging point is dating one or taking one home, however, evaluate your situation.

Yeah. Obv, strippers have lives outside the club but like most people are not NAR-tastic losers who seriously think they'll meet their future spouse at work.

I am a stripper. Please do not my judge me for my profession as I am using it to pay for my PhD program. The DJ plays my intro song and I go onto the stage
me: *twirls around the pole*
guy: Take it off, baby!
me: *crawls over to him* I'll do it when I want to. It's my body my right.
guy: I'm a paying customer! You have to do what I say!
second guy: Sir, if you have not noticed, she is the stripper here and it is up to her to do what she likes with her body. What you can do is shower her with dollar bills, but in the mean time, can you keep it down as others are here to enjoy her performance as well?
guy: Do you want to take this outside, rear end in a top hat? God hates f**s like you!
second guy: No, but I'm sure my friends would love to. Also, I do not believe in a God, for I? Well, sir, I am an educated atheist! He tips his very classy fedora which has a mark I recognized from popular children's television show, My Little [redacted], so I know that he is a sophisticate who enjoys things that are better than the rest of the men in the club!
Two of his body guards stand up. I have no idea who this guy is but he has a Native American ex marine on one side in full uniform and a Maori amputee in Brooks Brothers on the other.
guy: I'll just leave. He gets stopped at the door because he hadn't paid his tab. He pushes the bouncer! One of the body guards does a haka and throws him out on his rear end!
me: Wow. I've never seen anyone do that. Would you like to go with me into the champagne room, for free?
second guy: Or, we could go to the diner down the street. I'd love to learn more about you.
It turned out that guy? Was a successful business man! He helped me pay for my gender studies and atheism double PhD and we've been married ever since!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
When did fedoras become the trademark of crappy people? I'm not saying they are cool hats for hip 18 to 20-somethings to wear around in public or anything, but when did 'uncivilized loser' become 'uncivilized fedora-wearing loser'?

DrHerpington
Dec 20, 2012

;-*

CJacobs posted:

When did fedoras become the trademark of crappy people? I'm not saying they are cool hats for hip 18 to 20-somethings to wear around in public or anything, but when did 'uncivilized loser' become 'uncivilized fedora-wearing loser'?

When guys started wearing them and saying that women didn't like them because they had classy taste that was intimidating/they were too mature/they were a sign they weren't a dick. And now, guys are wearing them so they can say "that women is a bitch for not dating me over my fedora!" when the fact they wear it as a defense mechanism is an issue, not the actual hat.

It's the kind of Redditor rear end in a top hat that thinks because they watched COSMOS, they're a STEM lord.

It's like women who wear corsets outside Ren Faires and other acceptable places.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well, the reason I ask is because I've never actually seen a person wearing a fedora irl in 2013 outside of Minecraft's Notch. For all people joke about it, the mythical trenchoat fingerless gloved fedora man is not something I have experienced. Maybe I should hang around small businesses and go to conventions more often, perhaps bring some binoculars for fedora-watching.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

DrHerpington posted:

Yeah. Obv, strippers have lives outside the club but like most people are not NAR-tastic losers who seriously think they'll meet their future spouse at work.

What, no one clapped?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

CJacobs posted:

Well, the reason I ask is because I've never actually seen a person wearing a fedora irl in 2013 outside of Minecraft's Notch. For all people joke about it, the mythical trenchoat fingerless gloved fedora man is not something I have experienced. Maybe I should hang around small businesses and go to conventions more often, perhaps bring some binoculars for fedora-watching.

I've seen more utilikilts in the wild than fedoras.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

CJacobs posted:

I live in Asia and white dudes here wear fedoras with their cargo jorts like they're going out of style.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
All I have to do for a wildlife safari scopin dudes wearing t-shirts with five-year-old memes and fedoras made out of that weird hard felt that feels like fuzzy pressboard is head to the local media and video game shop. That's also where the teenagers wearing animal ears and tails congregate, there is usually one group of each type at any given point (no intermixing) (sometimes the animal ear people are girls)

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

FishBulb posted:

I've seen more utilikilts in the wild than fedoras.

Living in a college town, I get the coveted double sighting more often than you'd think.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

AlbieQuirky posted:

Living in a college town, I get the coveted double sighting more often than you'd think.

I live in Seattle. I think patient zero can be sourced here.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

How often I've heard the classic line:

"It's not a fedora! It's a TRILBY!"

or

"Why do uneducated MORONS always mistake my trilby for a fedora?!"

Trilby is the hipster fedora.

I've seen a lot of them around in any/all nerdy scenes. Beware of the fedora/trilby wearer with cheap awful goggles on the hat because they are the gooniest variety.

Taoto
Oct 22, 2010

Hehehe... Everything's going according to plan, right?

Bucket Joneses posted:

I live in Seattle. I think patient zero can be sourced here.

I live like 30 minutes south of Seattle, and I still see fedoras all the time. The worst part is every once in a while, I see a little kid running around in a fedora. Is this just bad parenting in action or are those kids just already spending way too much time on the internet and don't realize that fedoras are awful?

I'm betting on the latter because, let's face it, the type of guy who would wear/encourage fedora wearing has never touched a woman, let alone fathered a child.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

quote:

hipster fedora

Isn't this redundant?

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

CJacobs posted:

I go to an engineering college, and trust me. They exist.

Silly Hippie
Sep 18, 2007

Taoto posted:

I live like 30 minutes south of Seattle, and I still see fedoras all the time. The worst part is every once in a while, I see a little kid running around in a fedora. Is this just bad parenting in action or are those kids just already spending way too much time on the internet and don't realize that fedoras are awful?

I'm betting on the latter because, let's face it, the type of guy who would wear/encourage fedora wearing has never touched a woman, let alone fathered a child.

I'm pretty sure it's just that fedoras are cute on kids. Like suspenders and sweater vests, in that category of poo poo that looks terrible on average adults but adorable on babies, children, and tiny old men.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
The stupid Doctor Who waiter story got picked up by The Consumerist.

A gullible blogwriter posted:

In its home country, Doctor Who is an intergenerational media institution that’s been on the air (not continuously) since 1963 and launched several spinoffs. Here in the Olive Garden’s home country, the show has more of a niche audience. That means that most customers has absolutely no idea who this waiter was pretending to be, but they loved it anyway.

Well, I'll believe the first half of that last sentence. This isn't the first time the Consumerist has posted some poo poo that didn't happen, but it also runs plenty of legitimate stories, and even some of the ones that aren't tend to be a little more borderline, at least. This is just embarrassing.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

quote:

My nakama is made of Crazy Awesome. I'm the resident Cloudcucukoolander who takes Refuge In Audacity (and viewed as The Chick even though I'm a guy), another friend of mine is the resident Lovable Sex Maniac, Bunny Ears Lawyer and The Hero (though we all switch occasionally),the third Lancer to come along made us the Power Trio for a short while (and The Big Guy to boot) and the last main one in the core group, who likes to be considered a Guest Star Party Member (an awesome one). We continue to expand day by day. Even though we've split on some nasty terms at least once, and can't go one year without a The Reason You Suck Speech, the vitrolicism with which we speak to one another comes off as more Nakama than anything else.

What?

quote:

This troperrecently (A few weeks ago) got into a....little fight with his longtime nemesis, last day of (high)school, he may not be coming(droping out, my nemesis, not me) back, revenge bluh bluh merger childish things. He decides to come at me with a meter stick with a rather intimidating war cry. I merely tilt my head ever so slightly and plunk, it hits the wall behind my head, visibly dumbfounded he then attempts to slash me. Big mistake, my headphones got unplugged from my Ipod touch, and my favorite song was just beginning. Nightwish's song [[CrowningMusic/Template:Nightwish she is my sin]] and so begins my epic battle, he keeps slashing and lunging at me all while I dodge his blows and strokes. He attempts another headshot but I deftly grabbed it from him, he fell face first onto the floor, then I said one of my favorite BadassBoast badass boasts almost immediately afterword FinalFantasyVIIAdventChildren "On your knees...I want you to beg for forgiveness." my class's resident Video game gerd (Her own word she made, a combination of geek and nerd, she calls herself this all the time) said almost YELLING "Holy poo poo dude! That was awesome!" unfortunately his Girlfriend didnt think so, and tossed him the other meter stick and said "Kick that little snot into next year!"(Even though im taller then him he's like 5'4 im 5'7) and we exchanged blows which was eerily similar to aboved mentioned Final Fantasy movie, I then disarmed him and then said, "I hold no ill will, nor is this a personal matter, but thanks for the workout non-the less." He simply bowed his head in shame, his girlfriend having pure spasms of RAGE, chiding him that he couldn't beat a video game playing ultimate geek face(highly immature for a 16 year old girl I know), but I couldn't here them over the applause I was getting from the other geeks and my fellow peers, my teacher ( a substitute) woke up from her nap and simply said "what did I miss?" we all (except for my nemesis and his GF) begun laughing uncontrollably for a few minutes. I deadpanned afterwords "Nothing at all ma'am, just having some fun, listening to music, drawing, epic one sided battles..." She shrugged and went back to sleep.

Just some epic one sided battles :smug:

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
Nakama. I've missed that word :allears:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

crowfeathers posted:

My nakama is made of Crazy Awesome. I'm the resident Cloudcucukoolander who takes Refuge In Audacity (and viewed as The Chick even though I'm a guy), another friend of mine is the resident Lovable Sex Maniac, Bunny Ears Lawyer and The Hero (though we all switch occasionally),the third Lancer to come along made us the Power Trio for a short while (and The Big Guy to boot) and the last main one in the core group, who likes to be considered a Guest Star Party Member (an awesome one). We continue to expand day by day. Even though we've split on some nasty terms at least once, and can't go one year without a The Reason You Suck Speech, the vitrolicism with which we speak to one another comes off as more Nakama than anything else.
Just to give you the full TVTropes experience.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Quite popular around Toronto, you have 3 varieties around here

Elderly men in 90s buicks, Swaggy Clubbers, and The Goony Redditor.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

This is some premium top shelf STDH right here.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The best part about that one is that it was actually kind of a nice (albeit fake) story until about halfway down when it becomes clear he's a PUA/piece of poo poo and he's probably spent hours coming up with this fantasy.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

"We were at the topic of sex and she was laughing," is nothing new to these guys I imagine.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"Yeah, I coulda hosed Selena Gomez, but I just didn't feel like it. :smug:"

edit: Icing on the cake, Selena Gomez just turned 21 this year.

edit edit: And the cherry on top, the original story comes from /r/TheRedPill. God drat, this really is prime STDH.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 21:58 on Aug 19, 2013

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Splicer posted:

Just to give you the full TVTropes experience.

I thought I missed the Troper thread.

I was wrong. I'm screaming inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ratspeaker posted:

Nakama. I've missed that word :allears:

Well, they changed it to "True Companions" now. Naturally there's been :cry: over it.

• Locked thread