Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Brother Jonathan posted:

I like the version of this device printed in The Onion: New Super-Fast Transport System Powered By Passengers Screams.

loving burn.

To see if this technology has merit, they could check the on train recorder device to see if the train in Spain slightly accelerated the moment it left the track? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
:dance: The train in Spain derails mainly on the plain.. :dance:

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

West SAAB Story posted:

:dance: The train in Spain derails mainly on the plain.. :dance:

I'm laughing at this and I feel terrible about it.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

So this guy basically proposed something like the vacuum tube trains in OpenTTD?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Wilford Cutlery posted:

They should just build a monorail instead. It glides as softly as a cloud.

Yeah, it's from Facebook. Deal with it.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
I don't really understand the enthusiasm for passenger rail. Right now, its not significantly cheaper or faster than driving AND it has the added bonus of not having a car when you get to where you're going. I guess its probably statistically safer than driving and less of a hassle than air travel.

Bow TIE Fighter
Sep 16, 2007

Our cummerbunds can't repel firepower of that magnitude!

Veins McGee posted:

I don't really understand the enthusiasm for passenger rail. Right now, its not significantly cheaper or faster than driving AND it has the added bonus of not having a car when you get to where you're going. I guess its probably statistically safer than driving and less of a hassle than air travel.

Trains have many of the same advantages as buses: it frees you up from having to take a car (and pay for insurance, parking, maintenance, etc), reduces congestion, gives you time to do something else on your commute, and you can ride even if you're drunk/handicapped/blind/underage.

It works great if the cities are built around the stations and everything is within walking distance, or there's lots of local taxis, buses, etc. to help passengers cover the "last mile". Basically, passenger trains are feasible only in densely populated areas, near big cities, Europe, etc, but it's difficult to put them in because the land is already in use and is really expensive. Conversely, where the land is cheap, there aren't enough potential riders to make it financially viable. In the absence of trains, everything is designed with the assumption that everyone has a car and is willing to drive everywhere, and then that becomes the default, and makes it very difficult to convince passengers, designers, and politicians that there is another option.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
Here is the best analysis of Elon Musk's "hyperloop" that I have seen: Pedestrian Observations: Loopy Ideas Are Fine, If Youre an Entrepreneur. The author is a mathematician and finds some problems with the proposal, which calls for passengers to experience a lateral acceleration of 4.9 m/s:

quote:

0.5 g, or 4.9 m/s, is extreme. Non-tilting trains do not accelerate laterally at more than 1.2 m/s in the plane of the track (i.e. after accounting for cant), and at high speed they have lower lateral acceleration, about 0.67 m/s with limiting cases of about 0.8 for some tilting trains relative to the plane of the train floor. For example, the Tokaido Shinkansen has 200 mm of cant and maximum speed of 255 km/h on non-tilting trains on 2,500-meter curves, for 100 mm of cant deficiency, or 0.67 m/s.

The proposed relationship between curve radius and speed in the Hyperloop standards is for a lateral acceleration much greater than 4.9 m/ in the horizontal plane: 480 km/h at 1,600 meters is 11.1 m/s. This only drops to 5 m/s after perfectly canting the track, converting the downward 9.8 m/s gravity and the sideways acceleration into a single 14.8 m/s acceleration vector downward in the plane of the capsule floor, or 5 m/s more than passengers are used to. This is worse than sideways acceleration: track standards for vertical acceleration are tighter than for horizontal acceleration, about 0.5-0.67 m/s, one tenth to one seventh what Musk wants to subject his passengers to. Its not transportation; its a barf ride.

Emphasis mine.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/08/19/20090374-driver-beaten-by-angry-mob-after-train-kills-37-pilgrims-in-india?lite

~*India*~

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bow TIE Fighter posted:

Trains have many of the same advantages as buses: it frees you up from having to take a car (and pay for insurance, parking, maintenance, etc), reduces congestion, gives you time to do something else on your commute, and you can ride even if you're drunk/handicapped/blind/underage.

It works great if the cities are built around the stations and everything is within walking distance, or there's lots of local taxis, buses, etc. to help passengers cover the "last mile". Basically, passenger trains are feasible only in densely populated areas, near big cities, Europe, etc, but it's difficult to put them in because the land is already in use and is really expensive. Conversely, where the land is cheap, there aren't enough potential riders to make it financially viable. In the absence of trains, everything is designed with the assumption that everyone has a car and is willing to drive everywhere, and then that becomes the default, and makes it very difficult to convince passengers, designers, and politicians that there is another option.

Are you talking commuter rail or inter-city?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Can we talk about how badass funiculars are?

This one operates in Naples, Italy and is a part of the metro system there. I always thought funiculars were just for sightseeing but the fact that commuter ones exist owns so much.

Bow TIE Fighter
Sep 16, 2007

Our cummerbunds can't repel firepower of that magnitude!

Phy posted:

Are you talking commuter rail or inter-city?

I was talking about commuting by rail in general. I thought McGee was bashing commuter rail, and wanted to show what I had learned in my rail transit class. But he said "passenger" not "commuter, so I think he was talking about Amtrak, and I agree with his post. Sure, it has some benefits for commuters, but really sucks for long distance travel.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Zeether posted:

No because there's one in the City of London and it's broken down and trapped at least two people I know inside in separate incidents :argh:

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

No because there's one in the City of London and it's broken down and trapped at least two people I know inside in separate incidents :argh:

I didn't know London had a funicular, but I think they're pretty cool in general. However taking a train for a journey of 30 metres at slower than walking pace seems a little pointless unless you're disabled. When did they ride it because wikipedia suggests it was overhauled for being lovely?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Zeether posted:

This one operates in Naples, Italy and is a part of the metro system there. I always thought funiculars were just for sightseeing but the fact that commuter ones exist owns so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILjt1hFpRtE

How about this one?

Oh holy poo poo, the stupidity in that story is astounding

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Cat Terrist posted:

Oh holy poo poo, the stupidity in that story is astounding

No kidding: "Railway official Arunendra Kumar said the train was not supposed to halt at Dhamara Ghat and had been given clearance to pass through the station. However, some pilgrims waited on the tracks thinking they could stop the train, he said."

Well, they did manage to stop it, but it stopped 300 meters down the track past their mutilated bodies.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Brother Jonathan posted:

No kidding: "Railway official Arunendra Kumar said the train was not supposed to halt at Dhamara Ghat and had been given clearance to pass through the station. However, some pilgrims waited on the tracks thinking they could stop the train, he said."

Well, they did manage to stop it, but it stopped 300 meters down the track past their mutilated bodies.

Anyone can stop a train.

Once.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Crankit posted:

I didn't know London had a funicular, but I think they're pretty cool in general. However taking a train for a journey of 30 metres at slower than walking pace seems a little pointless unless you're disabled. When did they ride it because wikipedia suggests it was overhauled for being lovely?

Wow, only Wikipedia editors would call a glorified stair chair a railway.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zeether posted:

Well, Naples is well known for its funiculars.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,3162301

quote:

"More than 5,000 locomotives in UP's fleet will be equipped with inward-facing cab cameras. Of that total, 200 will be installed in the last two months of 2013, with about 4,300 in 2014-15, and another 600 in 2016, concluding in early fall. More information will be shared as it becomes available."

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!

What about my favorite, the Trieste-Opicina Tramway? It's a regular streetcar that uses purpose-built funicular engines to push the car up a steep grade, or brake it back down again. Crazy poo poo I want to ride before I die.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trieste%E2%80%93Opicina_tramway

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Makes me glad I switched to being a dispatcher.

Though I dont think they will be amused while I pick my nose and flick the nose gold around. Or while I scratch myself. Or eat sunflower seeds.

But I can't read the paper any more......

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Erwin posted:

Wow, only Wikipedia editors would call a glorified stair chair a railway.

Only Wikipedia would be dumb enough to even make a note of it.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I had no idea this thread existed.

Please accept this picture:

I miss that apartment a bit. Don't miss that water tower though.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Though I dont think they will be amused while I pick my nose and flick the nose gold around. Or while I scratch myself. Or eat sunflower seeds.

But I can't read the paper any more......

How are you liking your new gig? It's nice to have someone in the tower who understands how things go out on the track. (Even better to have someone from the MOW side of things, hehe) It could be five miles between control points or it could be fifteen, and it's the same two inches on the dispatcher's screen. I swear some dispatchers acted like I was out in the bushes bird watching instead of booking it down the rails in the track truck.

About the cameras, it sounds from the article like the'll only start recording when an event triggers them; emergency brake dump, VTI hit, etc. I had a similar system in the tour bus I drove, it recorded continually front and back but only saved the 15 seconds before and 15 seconds after an event like a hard stop, a hit, or me hitting the big red button. As long as you didn't gently caress up, it may as well have not been there. I would hope there would be a union agreement on this saying managers couldn't just pull tapes at random or scrutinize a crew's entire shift... in that case, I'd find some fuzzy dice to hang in a key location.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Sash! posted:

I had no idea this thread existed.

Please accept this picture:

I miss that apartment a bit. Don't miss that water tower though.

That's insane. It should be one locomotive on either side of the flatbed.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

Boiled Water posted:

Oh? I see things like that near my house, sometimes they are pulling things from the shipyard's tracks, sometimes its the shipyard's switchers, is there a reason for that?

Also, can I ask a question to any passenger rail people in here, or any rail people, what sort of HEP is common nowadays, is it all static inverter stuff, or separate propulsion providing the 480/440VAC needed?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Boiled Water posted:

What do you mean? Some times turn around locals need 2 units and usually one unit is shut down.... Just having 1 car is not a big deal.

Ryand-Smith posted:

Also, can I ask a question to any passenger rail people in here, or any rail people, what sort of HEP is common nowadays, is it all static inverter stuff, or separate propulsion providing the 480/440VAC needed?

I believe its just ran off the main generator-

All I know, is when I borrowed out to the Chicago District a couple years ago, I remember dealing with HEP. I was just told that we were to not allow disconnect cables until mechanical forces shut down things properly. Or else it was one hell of a shock....

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Whooosh.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
Folks, the joke was that with that much power for one car, it makes no difference where it is attached.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

do you guys ever get scared that a crazy person is going to jump onto the train and stab the crew?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

ijustam posted:

do you guys ever get scared that a crazy person is going to jump onto the train and stab the crew?

Not really. Its kind of unwritten code that train people dont gently caress with crazies and the crazies leave the train people alone.

NoWake posted:

How are you liking your new gig? It's nice to have someone in the tower who understands how things go out on the track. (Even better to have someone from the MOW side of things, hehe) It could be five miles between control points or it could be fifteen, and it's the same two inches on the dispatcher's screen. I swear some dispatchers acted like I was out in the bushes bird watching instead of booking it down the rails in the track truck.

Its not bad, but I see where the mentality comes from. In class they try to instill the "god complex" in you right away, making the craft people sound dumb.

I know poo poo takes time, but right now they are pushing hard on MOW guys updating their track and time. Just getting extension on your time because of the new computer program they are implementing. Its just taking into account more of how much time a track section is blocked, train speed, crew HOS left, ect.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Zeether posted:

This is my favorite one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xorc1LUgRt4

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Tone up the dickscratcher!

I'm considering a craft transfer myself, seems like holding anything close to home is going to be next to impossible for at least 5 years. Then again, I love the job security. The track will always get pounded because trains are heavy and poo poo.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
:ussr: Stalin's Rope Roads :ussr:

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

That looks like a suspended suicide cabin! :eek:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Every thing in Russia just has .... such a look about it. I cant ever describe it, but every thing looks the same, buildings, trains, cars, women, etc.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Every thing in Russia just has .... such a look about it. I cant ever describe it, but every thing looks the same, buildings, trains, cars, women, etc.

You mean how the whole country has the post-apocalyptic, bleak, lonely, decayed feel of Half-Life 2? Which, by the way, was basically a video game set in post-Soviet Russia.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Thats because it is literally the same. In an effort to save costs, they built everything identical country wide. Most apartments look the same. Only very special government projects had dedicated architects. Everything else was pretty much copy and paste. Even certain street names and intersections. There is even a famous comedy where a guy gets hammered and ends up on the wrong flight to Leningrad instead of Moscow. He goes back to his address, and his apartment, and is still so hammered he passes out only to wake up at some chicks apartment. Comedy/romance ensues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Here is a funicular powered by water alone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwB0r6C3w4I

http://visit.cat.org.uk/whats-to-see/14