Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

skipdogg posted:

FWIW our pediatrician and dentist are both very anti going to bed with drinks.

Right but assuming Brennanite is right that he's not drinking it, I don't see the harm.

Brennanite, I second the idea of trying to add some weight to it without actually having any liquid in there. Or alternatively you could get a second lid and just permanently seal the top so that nothing can leak out. As far as emotional attachment, is your husband just philosophically opposed to loveys/blankeys/etc? Parenting is hard enough as it is without picking arbitrary things to refuse your children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Lullabee posted:

What's the recommended time to wait between introducing new foods? Today will be day 3 of squash and we haven't seen any allergy symptoms. I was thinking 4.

Also, how much do you start out giving? We do oatmeal for breakfast and I make about a serving size (3 1/2 - 4 tablespoons with 2-3 oz breastmilk) but I'm only doing 2 oz of puréed fruits and veggies.

We waited every 4 days. Allergic reactions don't usually appear the very first time a child eats something because it is the repeated exposure that triggers the reaction. So the second exposure is the one to really watch out for.

I just gave whatever amount the kid wanted to eat. They fed themselves though.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Thomase posted:

My son (23 mos)... well he's a biter. Not just a biter, but an angry potentially sociopathic biter. His natural reaction to pain, anger or frustration is to lash out with either his mini talons or his teeth.

For example, my wife is pregnant again, we went out to the maternity store to buy her some new duds and he was getting restless inside so I took him out for a walk. We were walking and he fell, scraped his face a little and when I went to comfort him not only did he give my lip a nice gash with his nails but also bit into my shoulder.

It didn't break the skin this time but it has previously. We've tried voicing our pain, we've tried "crying" but generally this just results in laughter.

What can we do? Because there's nothing scarier than a child with a full set of teeth and no empathy.

Can you substitute in something that's okay to bite? Does he have his molars in yet? We have these toothbrushes that ZoLi makes that we offer if my 18 mo old is feeling bite-y and tell him that it's not okay to bite people, but it is okay to bite the toothbrushes or a wash cloth or a teething toy. I've been told before that a need for that kind of oral stimulation is pretty normal in a toddler and it's just about redirecting the need for the sensation.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009
My boy is 19 months old now, and still nursing, which is beautiful and fine and all that, but I'm not sure why. Apart from the comfort aspect, which I definitely don't discount because he is mighty attached to Mama, there is no milk coming out of there, and really hasn't been for a while now. I do work full time, but he nurses a few times in the evenings, pretty much all night long, and on the weekends, if I'm sitting down, he's tugging at my shirt. So basically if I am stationary and he can reach boobs, he's trying to get boobs, and he's so happy when he gets one out, and so sad if I refuse him.

What I'm wondering is, how long is he going to keep this up if there's no milk happening? I have been very dedicated to letting him gradually let go at his own pace rather than cutting him off, but nursing is becoming very uncomfortable and even painful as it's pretty much just dry sucking. He won't take a pacifier. Am I supposed to wean him now? Kellymom is my usual go-to but I'm not finding anything about this particular problem, apart from this: http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/toddlernursing/ which still maybe seems to assume that milk is being produced...

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Thomase posted:

Crying it out isn't an option?

Taking away a comfort item and then making your child cry it out because you arbitrarily decided he shouldn't have a/that comfort item is super lovely, hth.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Chicken McNobody posted:

My boy is 19 months old now, and still nursing, which is beautiful and fine and all that, but I'm not sure why. Apart from the comfort aspect, which I definitely don't discount because he is mighty attached to Mama, there is no milk coming out of there, and really hasn't been for a while now. I do work full time, but he nurses a few times in the evenings, pretty much all night long, and on the weekends, if I'm sitting down, he's tugging at my shirt. So basically if I am stationary and he can reach boobs, he's trying to get boobs, and he's so happy when he gets one out, and so sad if I refuse him.

What I'm wondering is, how long is he going to keep this up if there's no milk happening? I have been very dedicated to letting him gradually let go at his own pace rather than cutting him off, but nursing is becoming very uncomfortable and even painful as it's pretty much just dry sucking. He won't take a pacifier. Am I supposed to wean him now? Kellymom is my usual go-to but I'm not finding anything about this particular problem, apart from this: http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/toddlernursing/ which still maybe seems to assume that milk is being produced...

Are you sure you're dry? With continual demand, it's pretty rare to just dry up unless you're pregnant. If you're getting uncomfortable with all of the nursing, perhaps it's time to work on nursing manners and/or nightweaning? I really like Dr. Jay Gordon's nightweaning method: http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Yeah, I agree with skeetied. We only nurse every few days and I can still express the tiniest bit of milk. Just because you don't feel engorged or see milk dribbles doesn't mean he isn't getting any. If you're nursing multiple times a day, I can't see how he isn't getting at least some milk.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
How in the world do you give a wriggly 9 month old liquid medicine that tastes and smells like grape flavored sewer water? She's no fool and she's onto my shenanigans so a sneak attack doesn't really work. I try to get the syringe in her mouth and she clamps down tight. If I get any in her inside cheek, she spits it right out. I tried forcing it tonight and she ended up gagging on it and coughed for the rest of the night so I feel like a jerk. She's got to take this antibiotic 3x a day for 2 weeks and it is not going well. Help?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

You can blow on their face to make them swallow.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
I'm not sure if it would work on a baby that young, but we break out the treats for particularly nasty antibiotics. A teensy piece of chocolate does well for both cleansing the palate and bribery.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Papercut posted:

Right but assuming Brennanite is right that he's not drinking it, I don't see the harm.

Brennanite, I second the idea of trying to add some weight to it without actually having any liquid in there. Or alternatively you could get a second lid and just permanently seal the top so that nothing can leak out. As far as emotional attachment, is your husband just philosophically opposed to loveys/blankeys/etc? Parenting is hard enough as it is without picking arbitrary things to refuse your children.

After realizing that I didn't really understand why my husband was opposed to him sleeping w/the milk sippy cup besides my reasons, we talked about it and I understand what's going on now. My husband is really concerned with the milk, not the sippy cup. He's worried the baby is drinking milk for comfort, not because he's thirsty. This, in turn, will doom him to a life of emotional overeating and obesity. I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way, but we agreed to discuss it at his upcoming appointment with the ped. So far tonight, a sippy cup of water has been accepted.

Being a parent is hard in ways I did not anticipate.

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

I CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE CLOPPING TO PONIES; PLEASE KILL ME
My daughter has just turned one and over the last month or so really hasn't been interested in her food. She has always had a healthy appetite in the past so it has become noticable. We are not overly concerned yet as she is a very healthy size and weight but obviously something we want to keep an eye on. Has anyone else had experience of this?

A few background factors could be:

We broke all the rules regarding the introduction of new foods (a mixture of different foods on different days etc...) quite early on, and tend to stick to those foods now. Do we need to mix it up a bit?

The temp here in the summer is 30-35c most days and ourselves and the nanny feed her a lot of water, could this be supressing appetite?

She is still nursing a few times a day, once in the morning, once before bed and whenever she waked up in the night.

Grammar Fascist
May 29, 2004
Y-O-U-R, Y-O-U-Apostrophe-R-E... They're as different as night and day. Don't you think that night and day are different? What's wrong with you?

Big Alf posted:

My daughter has just turned one and over the last month or so really hasn't been interested in her food. She has always had a healthy appetite in the past so it has become noticable. We are not overly concerned yet as she is a very healthy size and weight but obviously something we want to keep an eye on. Has anyone else had experience of this?

Our pediatrician warned us at my son's 12-month appointment that this exact thing would happen. He said the most important thing is not to make a big deal about it, and that when he gets hungry, he'll eat. The pediatrician also said it's because his growth is slowing down: in the first year, babies triple in weight, but (thankfully) that doesn't continue at quite the same pace during year two.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

Grammar Fascist posted:

Our pediatrician warned us at my son's 12-month appointment that this exact thing would happen. He said the most important thing is not to make a big deal about it, and that when he gets hungry, he'll eat. The pediatrician also said it's because his growth is slowing down: in the first year, babies triple in weight, but (thankfully) that doesn't continue at quite the same pace during year two.

To add to this, my pediatrician told me that, once the kid is a toddler, you should start looking at their food intake over the span of a week, not every meal or even every day. There will be days when my toddler will hardly eat anything, and days when he outeats his 6'1" father. But, generally speaking, by the end of the week, it averages into a normal amount of food.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Toilet training is doing my head in. For the first month Connor was perfect, no accidents, absolutely fine. Then for the next month it was a bit hit and miss but overall not too bad. Then last week he got some horrible bug and was just lying on the sofa sleeping or not moving with a high temperature and bad cough so I put him in his pull up nappy pants that he'd been wearing at night during the day as well. But now he's better he just will not go on the potty or the toilet at all and doesn't even tell me when he has wet himself. I'm half thinking of putting him back in nappies for a bit then starting fresh in a month or so but I don't know. He is if anything worse now than when we started (at least back at the start he'd tell me if he was wet whereas now he's happy to sit in his own piss until I notice). I know rationally he's not peeing on the floor out of spite but when he does it less than a minute after you ask him if he needs a pee it's beginning to feel like he does just have it in for me.

Also does anyone have any tips on how to get a 4 month old to take a dummy. Ellie is just not interested but she does like to suck for comfort which means that I'm feeding her all the time. I don't really mind but then she pukes most of it back up again (she's gaining weight really well so I am pretty sure she is overfilling rather than it being another problem).

Thomase
Mar 18, 2009

skeetied posted:

Can you substitute in something that's okay to bite? Does he have his molars in yet? We have these toothbrushes that ZoLi makes that we offer if my 18 mo old is feeling bite-y and tell him that it's not okay to bite people, but it is okay to bite the toothbrushes or a wash cloth or a teething toy. I've been told before that a need for that kind of oral stimulation is pretty normal in a toddler and it's just about redirecting the need for the sensation.

He actually has all of his teeth right now. Or from what I dare look at up close. There definitely isn't any complaints from him otherwise. But yeah, trying to redirect his biting to another source wouldn't be a bad idea to try.

Schweig und tanze posted:

Taking away a comfort item and then making your child cry it out because you arbitrarily decided he shouldn't have a/that comfort item is super lovely, hth.

A comfort item is fine but the person isn't asking about a stuffed animal. They're talking about a liquid that could spill or curdle. I wouldn't want my son drinking something in the middle of the night without me being aware enough to help if he started choking. Sorry if that seems super lovely to you. My son threw tantrums when being put to bed EVERY NIGHT at a certain age so we let him cry it out and each night we did it he fell asleep faster. He now looks forward to bed and curls up with a stuffed manatee.

Regardless, the person asking answered and it's not an option.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

frenchnewwave posted:

How in the world do you give a wriggly 9 month old liquid medicine that tastes and smells like grape flavored sewer water? She's no fool and she's onto my shenanigans so a sneak attack doesn't really work. I try to get the syringe in her mouth and she clamps down tight. If I get any in her inside cheek, she spits it right out. I tried forcing it tonight and she ended up gagging on it and coughed for the rest of the night so I feel like a jerk. She's got to take this antibiotic 3x a day for 2 weeks and it is not going well. Help?

I pureed some pears and added enough water to make it a sort-of-thick drink and mixed medicine in with that. He drank it from a cup. I don't know why, but my little dude would deal with almost anything mixed with pear puree/juice. Tried mixing it with apple and other things and it was a no-go.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Big Alf posted:

A few background factors could be:

We broke all the rules regarding the introduction of new foods (a mixture of different foods on different days etc...) quite early on, and tend to stick to those foods now. Do we need to mix it up a bit?

The temp here in the summer is 30-35c most days and ourselves and the nanny feed her a lot of water, could this be supressing appetite?

She is still nursing a few times a day, once in the morning, once before bed and whenever she waked up in the night.

Like Amelia said, around one their growth slows and they don't eat as much. Also, when it's hot, I'm not interested in eating much, so she might not be either. If she's hydrated and not complaining, don't worry about it so much. But you don't have to stick just to familiar foods anymore. At one, she can eat just about anything that's cut up small and is soft enough to chew. I would start giving her a spoonful of whatever you're eating and letting her give it a go. She could be bored, or could start getting herself in a rut where she might not want to try new things.

Hookerbot, man, potty training can kiss my rear end. How old is Connor? It sounds like getting sick put him off his game. You could try going back to pull ups for a couple weeks and just encourage him to use the toilet--and let it go if he doesn't want to or make it. Tim was so recalcitrant about the whole thing (and still is!) At FIVE he will still poop in his pants because he waits until the absolute last minute to RUN to the bathroom and has been holding it in for so long he can't make it in time. He did this to me four days in a row a couple weeks back and I was about ready to kill him. So now we have a "try to poop every morning as soon as you wake up" rule, and he can't come down and get breakfast until he at least gives it an honest try. Not a sit there for two seconds and tell me he doesn't have to go, but a real try. He goes more often than not, and at least I feel reasonably confident he won't poop his pants at school then.

As far as the dummy goes, I dunno. My kids LOVED theirs (Liam still does), but I know some kids just don't ever seem to take to them. When Liam was born, the first thing he did was put his thumb in his mouth and go at it. I mean, he was less than an hour old, and we were in recovery and I had just unwrapped him a little bit to nurse him for the first time. As soon as he got his little hand free, he stuck his thumb up, and right into his mouth it went. :3: Then, I thought to myself, no way do I want the orthodontics bills of a thumb sucking child. And furthermore, how do you break them of it? It's not like you can take their thumb away! So from then on, every time he stuck his thumb in his mouth, I just gently removed his little hand and stuck in a num. Every time. He'd spit it out a lot, and go back to the thumb, but I'd just give him a num over and over and over. By about two months, he had forgotten about his thumb. So maybe just keep giving her one, over and over and over? Try a couple different shapes/brands/varieties? My kids always hated the ones from the hospital and liked the orthodontic, wide flat shaped nipples instead.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Hi friends, quick question - is there much point in establishing a relatively firm sleep routine before teething starts? Sydney is five months and is definitely in the early stages of teething though nothing's broken through the gum yet. She's generally a really good sleeper and will go down for several hours if we start her bedtime routine around 7ish (night diaper, feeding, gentle bouncing her on the yoga ball until she passes out) and put her in the co-sleeper around 8 or so and will only wake when it's time to breastfeed again.

We want to move towards adding some book time to the bedtime prep, but I'm wondering if we're being a bit too stringent before things go absolutely to poo poo when teething happens? Or are we better off keeping this routine for now so she's used to it?

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Thomase posted:

He actually has all of his teeth right now. Or from what I dare look at up close. There definitely isn't any complaints from him otherwise. But yeah, trying to redirect his biting to another source wouldn't be a bad idea to try.

A comfort item is fine but the person isn't asking about a stuffed animal. They're talking about a liquid that could spill or curdle. I wouldn't want my son drinking something in the middle of the night without me being aware enough to help if he started choking. Sorry if that seems super lovely to you. My son threw tantrums when being put to bed EVERY NIGHT at a certain age so we let him cry it out and each night we did it he fell asleep faster. He now looks forward to bed and curls up with a stuffed manatee.

Regardless, the person asking answered and it's not an option.

I know I wouldn't want my kid to turn into a psychopathic (or was it sociopathic?) biter, but I'm glad CIO worked for your family.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Chickalicious posted:

Yeah, I agree with skeetied. We only nurse every few days and I can still express the tiniest bit of milk. Just because you don't feel engorged or see milk dribbles doesn't mean he isn't getting any. If you're nursing multiple times a day, I can't see how he isn't getting at least some milk.

I'm sure he is getting *some* milk, but it has to be trace amounts...I don't even see evidence of milk when he pulls away to grin at me, and if I try to pump I *might* barely cover the bottom of the bottle, but usually not. It's definitely not enough for him to get full, or even get noticeable amounts of nutrition. Is even that little bitty taste enough to keep him going, comfort aside? (I mean, I guess it must be, since he is, but for how long?) I guess I will have to wait and see, and keep going with the night weaning process (thanks skeetied for the link!).

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
The few times I tried to pump when my kid was older, I barely covered the bottom of the bottle too. My supply was tailored to exactly what he needed was my theory, no more, no less. And of course, pumps are much less efficient than babies, especially toddlers. But it's up to you for how long he can keep going. It's a nursing relationship, and relationships have more than one person's needs who have to be met. In the beginning, the baby's needs have priority, but as they get older, it becomes a little more equal, and you get to set limits as one of the partners in the relationship.

Do you feel uncomfortable when he nurses? When my kid nurses longer than a couple minutes these days (he's almost 3 and only nurses every few days), I get this visceral creepy crawly, ugh get off me feeling. Like once the milk is gone, and he's dry nursing, my brain says "Nope nope nope." I just tell him he's making my boob hurt and he pops off and goes on his merry way.

Thomase
Mar 18, 2009

Schweig und tanze posted:

I know I wouldn't want my kid to turn into a psychopathic (or was it sociopathic?) biter, but I'm glad CIO worked for your family.

e: Not sure what your issue is. Crying it out worked well for us after a few months of bed time tantrums and he sleeps soundly through the night.

Seeing as the symptoms of biting started well before he adjusted to falling asleep on his own I'm not sure why you would assume that one thing directly caused the other.

But hey, feel free to be snarky for whatever reason. Later.

Thomase fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 21, 2013

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

flashy_mcflash posted:

Hi friends, quick question - is there much point in establishing a relatively firm sleep routine before teething starts? Sydney is five months and is definitely in the early stages of teething though nothing's broken through the gum yet. She's generally a really good sleeper and will go down for several hours if we start her bedtime routine around 7ish (night diaper, feeding, gentle bouncing her on the yoga ball until she passes out) and put her in the co-sleeper around 8 or so and will only wake when it's time to breastfeed again.

We want to move towards adding some book time to the bedtime prep, but I'm wondering if we're being a bit too stringent before things go absolutely to poo poo when teething happens? Or are we better off keeping this routine for now so she's used to it?

Set your routine and keep it. Stick to it as much as possible, but just know that during teething or other developmental stages, things might be off for some nights--like not wanting to go down, or waking more frequently. I suggest Tylenol. But routine, routine, routine. It's soothing to them to know what's coming.

Bath, book, boob, bed. Same routine from birth to now, two and five years running. (Minus the boob part--that got cut out a while ago. ;))

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Chickalicious posted:

The few times I tried to pump when my kid was older, I barely covered the bottom of the bottle too. My supply was tailored to exactly what he needed was my theory, no more, no less. And of course, pumps are much less efficient than babies, especially toddlers. But it's up to you for how long he can keep going. It's a nursing relationship, and relationships have more than one person's needs who have to be met. In the beginning, the baby's needs have priority, but as they get older, it becomes a little more equal, and you get to set limits as one of the partners in the relationship.

Do you feel uncomfortable when he nurses? When my kid nurses longer than a couple minutes these days (he's almost 3 and only nurses every few days), I get this visceral creepy crawly, ugh get off me feeling. Like once the milk is gone, and he's dry nursing, my brain says "Nope nope nope." I just tell him he's making my boob hurt and he pops off and goes on his merry way.

For me at this point it's more of an "ugh, this again, can I not have two minutes without being touc hed" coupled with the pain and itchiness that comes with his mouthful of teeth, and of course the instant guilt that this is just another thing I gotta do instead of a beautiful LLL poster moment. But at not-quite-2 Arthur doesn't really care yet what hurts Mama (just today he slapped me full in the face when I picked him up from daycare). Time, I hope, will be the cure for both problems. Time and patience, and increased recognition of Daddy as someone who can also give comfort, which is slowly happening.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

AlistairCookie posted:

Hookerbot, man, potty training can kiss my rear end. How old is Connor? It sounds like getting sick put him off his game. You could try going back to pull ups for a couple weeks and just encourage him to use the toilet--and let it go if he doesn't want to or make it. Tim was so recalcitrant about the whole thing (and still is!) At FIVE he will still poop in his pants because he waits until the absolute last minute to RUN to the bathroom and has been holding it in for so long he can't make it in time. He did this to me four days in a row a couple weeks back and I was about ready to kill him. So now we have a "try to poop every morning as soon as you wake up" rule, and he can't come down and get breakfast until he at least gives it an honest try. Not a sit there for two seconds and tell me he doesn't have to go, but a real try. He goes more often than not, and at least I feel reasonably confident he won't poop his pants at school then.

As far as the dummy goes, I dunno. My kids LOVED theirs (Liam still does), but I know some kids just don't ever seem to take to them. When Liam was born, the first thing he did was put his thumb in his mouth and go at it. I mean, he was less than an hour old, and we were in recovery and I had just unwrapped him a little bit to nurse him for the first time. As soon as he got his little hand free, he stuck his thumb up, and right into his mouth it went. :3: Then, I thought to myself, no way do I want the orthodontics bills of a thumb sucking child. And furthermore, how do you break them of it? It's not like you can take their thumb away! So from then on, every time he stuck his thumb in his mouth, I just gently removed his little hand and stuck in a num. Every time. He'd spit it out a lot, and go back to the thumb, but I'd just give him a num over and over and over. By about two months, he had forgotten about his thumb. So maybe just keep giving her one, over and over and over? Try a couple different shapes/brands/varieties? My kids always hated the ones from the hospital and liked the orthodontic, wide flat shaped nipples instead.

He's 2 and a half, so not a bad age or anything to not be toilet trained but it's just dispiriting when he seemed to grasp it so well and now it's like he's completely forgot (or decided that he doesn't care). And I know I'm meant to be all encouraging and say it doesn't matter but it gets hard to coo 'oh did you have another accident? That's absolutely fine' 7 times a day. Maybe I will go back to nappies for a bit, it's annoying to have to start again from the beginning but it doesn't look like I have any choice - he's regressed further than where we were at the start.

Connor was the same with dummies but with Ellie it's like she doesn't get how they work. I'll try a couple of different sizes but maybe it's just a lost cause :(

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Connor was the same with dummies but with Ellie it's like she doesn't get how they work. I'll try a couple of different sizes but maybe it's just a lost cause :(

Disclaimer: I am not a parent in the full sense yet, but I have read to try and get her to take a pacifier, to try to slowly (and gently!) pull it away and out of her mouth a few times after you put it in. Kind of like a reverse-psychology thing, they will try and suck it back in harder. Repeat until she gets the hang of it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

AlistairCookie posted:

Set your routine and keep it. Stick to it as much as possible, but just know that during teething or other developmental stages, things might be off for some nights--like not wanting to go down, or waking more frequently. I suggest Tylenol. But routine, routine, routine. It's soothing to them to know what's coming.

Bath, book, boob, bed. Same routine from birth to now, two and five years running. (Minus the boob part--that got cut out a while ago. ;))

Thanks! That's kind of what I wanted to hear. We definitely have washcloths on deck in the freezer and Tylenol on hand for when teething really starts.

I don't understand this kid though - pain doesn't seem to faze her at all (my wife cut the tip of her finger off by accident while cutting her nails a few weeks ago and Sydney just laughed and laughed while we freaked out trying to figure out how to cut a band-aid down to baby size) but turn on the vacuum and she screams like she's being murdered. So who knows how teething will affect her.

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012

hookerbot 5000 posted:

My baby was the same with the first pacifiers I tried, but Nuk orthodontic brand were easier to hold in. Different babies probably like different brands.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

DwemerCog posted:

My baby was the same with the first pacifiers I tried, but Nuk orthodontic brand were easier to hold in. Different babies probably like different brands.

And I guess some babies (like mine!) don't like pacifiers at all. I can count on one hand the number of times V has actually used a pacifier as a pacifier. She'll play and bite on them now, but only 3-4 times ever has she sucked on them -- and we tried every brand Target had to offer.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

hookerbot 5000 posted:

He's 2 and a half, so not a bad age or anything to not be toilet trained but it's just dispiriting when he seemed to grasp it so well and now it's like he's completely forgot (or decided that he doesn't care). And I know I'm meant to be all encouraging and say it doesn't matter but it gets hard to coo 'oh did you have another accident? That's absolutely fine' 7 times a day. Maybe I will go back to nappies for a bit, it's annoying to have to start again from the beginning but it doesn't look like I have any choice - he's regressed further than where we were at the start.

Liam is two and a half (did I just type that?!) and we couldn't be farther away from potty training. I don't think he has the vaguest concept--I was going to give it a try closer to three. Two and a half is not an unreasonable age at all, but it is pretty little yet; I just wouldn't sweat the regression. I didn't even bother to start with Tim until he was three. He just wasn't interested, and as a bonus was unconcerned with the state of his diaper. Pee running down his leg? No worries. And I cloth diapered Tim until he started nursery school! What was that bit about cloth diapered children train sooner because they can feel they're wet or messy? Ha! They have to care for that to work. Liam is the same way. I am dreading starting him, considering how much of a hassle Tim was (and sometimes continues to be) about it.

I think I read somewhere that boys tend to train later than girls? At least, from the children I know, that has been anecdotally true.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

Cross-posting this: Some Halo Sleep Sacks sold at Babies R Us are being voluntarily recalled.

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2013/HALO-SleepSacks-Wearable-Blankets-Recalled/

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama
Sorry this is a really late reply regarding teething, but I give Tylonel at night and he can get in about 2-3 hours of good sleep before he wakes up and I bring him in bed with me for the rest of the night where he tosses and turns and gets horrible sleep (I would say he gets about 45 minutes of good sleep at a time and I don't think he wakes up fully because his eyes are still closed but the rest of the time is really light sleep). I guess it's easier to keep him next to me to comfort him or nurse him back to sleep then to continuously try and put him back in his crib but I'm sleeping horribly too. I think I'll have to redose him in the middle of the night even though that will wake him up fully. His first bottom tooth broke through but a few days before he didn't want to nurse much but was sleeping ok at night. Now his second tooth is coming (one little part has broken through the gums) and he's nursing alright again but we have the sleep problem. Hopefully it will break through completely soon and we can both get some sleep and a little break before the top teeth come in. All this before he's 5 months old! I don't think I was ready for teething so early but I hope that means he'll get all his teeth and be finished teething sooner then average.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

THERE'S NO CURE FOR BEING A CUNT, SO PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I'm apparently hard at work turning my son gay again. On Monday we were running some errands, and we needed to get some pullups. I try to let him pick his own stuff, and this time, for whatever reason, he wanted the Disney princess girl ones (he also picked out a Thomas the Train picture book.) I know how his dad feels about these things, but completely forgot about it on Tuesday when his dad picked him up for dinner, and I got a sternly worded email afterwards.

The thing is, I really don't think preferring a colour sometimes or all the times has anything to do with sexuality, and even if it did, hooray for him. I am a little concerned though about how concerned his dad is about it. His nanny was telling me about how the other week she had to change his shorts because his dad felt they were too bright an orange colour and didn't want to take him out like that. Is it just me, or is his dad being a little odd?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Yeah dad has problems beyond the kid. Need to talk to dad about his problems.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
Chris got obsessed with a doll in a pink flower-y stroller from our town dump's swap shack, so I said "screw it" and let him bring it home. When my husband saw him pushing it around with the wheel constantly falling off, he just fixed it so the wheel would stay on. :3:

(Yeah, the kid's dad has issues.)

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
Thirding that dad has issues.

But I too am hard at work, turning my son gay. Turning him into a tiny Elton John...

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Mnemosyne posted:

Thirding that dad has issues.

But I too am hard at work, turning my son gay. Turning him into a tiny Elton John...

Is there anything more fab than a fab toddler?

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
Did someone say doll stroller? :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

rectal cushion posted:

Did someone say doll stroller? :cool:

That doll stroller is fancier than my people stroller!