Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
If Wonderful 101 is the WiiU game you've been waiting for, you may wanna wait a little longer.

I guess it could be a God Hand situation, where the game is very hit or miss, but even then, a hit-or-miss is really not what the WiiU needs right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Fulchrum posted:

If Wonderful 101 is the WiiU game you've been waiting for, you may wanna wait a little longer.

I guess it could be a God Hand situation, where the game is very hit or miss, but even then, a hit-or-miss is really not what the WiiU needs right now.

Sounds like it is a God Hand situation where the reviewer is loving terrible at the game.

edit: The game could have flaws too, idk.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
No, goons everywhere have assured me that Kamiya and Platinum can do no wrong. If you don't enjoy one of his games, it is a failing on your part.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Sounds like it is a God Hand situation where the reviewer is loving terrible at the game.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/the-wonderful-101/critic-reviews

Still early but the consensus looks like 'good but not great'

edit:

Eurogamer review posted:

For eight-year-olds, this might be one of the best games ever made. That's why it's so disappointing that Platinum has included content that isn't suitable for children, and ended up with a 12 rating.

Edmund Honda fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 19, 2013

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Amusing that Eurogamer actually believes that parents pay any attention to game ratings...

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Surlaw posted:

If the original Bayonetta only sold ok on the 360 and PS3 I really don't believe for a second that Bayonetta 2 will sell many WiiU systems. It will probably be a great game and I'll buy it day 1 but it's a very niche title. The games that will turn around WiiU sales will be Mario Kart and Smash.

Smash is coming out on the 3DS this time though. I'd bet money that the 3DS version will outsell the Wii U version 5:1, and I don't think anyone would bet against me.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Smash is coming out on the 3DS this time though. I'd bet money that the 3DS version will outsell the Wii U version 5:1, and I don't think anyone would bet against me.

Do people like playing fighting games on portable systems? This seems strange to me, but I'm not a fighting fan.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Nintendo handhelds have always sold insanely well compared to their consoles. A bunch of people complained about Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles "requiring 4 GBAs" without realizing that you were far more likely to find 4 people with a GBA than a single one with a Gamecube.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

zenintrude posted:

Do people like playing fighting games on portable systems? This seems strange to me, but I'm not a fighting fan.

Unless WiiU is amazing by the time Smash comes out I'm planning on saving my money and getting the 3DS version. I haven't done local multiplayer in like five years so it's not like I'd be missing out much on that front, and I bet Nintendo will defy logic as usual and make online play more seamless on 3DS than WiiU.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

zenintrude posted:

Literally every kid that exists will want that game for their 3DS because it's one game that has Mario, Pikachu, etc. in it and every adult Nintendo Kid with a 3DS is going to want it because it has Mario, Mega Man and Link in it. The number of people who will decide to get it or not based on how well it controls or whatever is very very small (but vocal).

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Literally every kid that exists will want that game for their 3DS because it's one game that has Mario, Pikachu, etc. in it and every adult Nintendo Kid with a 3DS is going to want it because it has Mario, Mega Man and Link in it. The number of people who will decide to get it or not based on how well it controls or whatever is very very small (but vocal).

Quite honestly I have no interest in the 3DS version because I can't play locally without another three 3DSs and three copies of Smash 3DS, given it's first and foremost a party game that's a probably going to be an issue for a not-insignificant number of people.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

zenintrude posted:

Smash Bros. isn't an input-heavy fighting game, it's a party game. And lots more people own 3DSs than Wii Us.

The real question is if the 3DS version is going to be a full featured Smash or some smaller, action game while the Wii U gets the full experience.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Soul Glo posted:

Smash Bros. isn't an input-heavy fighting game, it's a party game. And lots more people own 3DSs than Wii Us.

Aren't party games meant to be viewed not only by those playing, but those cheering/jeering those who are? Seems like it would be a bit difficult when the players are four dudes huddled over their portables.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

greatn posted:

No, goons everywhere have assured me that Kamiya and Platinum can do no wrong. If you don't enjoy one of his games, it is a failing on your part.

Thats true tho.

zenintrude posted:

Aren't party games meant to be viewed not only by those playing, but those cheering/jeering those who are? Seems like it would be a bit difficult when the players are four dudes huddled over their portables.

Sakurai has implied that the 3DS version will have more of a focus on single player content whatever that means.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

zenintrude posted:

Just get XLs, problem solved :smug:.

I'm with the crowd that thinks the 3DS version is going to outsell the Wii U version, especially if the 3DS version is the full game (I've heard it both ways, so I dunno what that version is supposed to be). There's just SO many 3DSs out there compared to Wii Us.

Plus, a Smash Bros. that goes wherever you go? That sounds like it could really go gangbusters.

What Nintendo should do is a crossbuy/PSN-type sale system. If only to put up numbers of "Hey, Smash on Wii U has sold bonkers, this is a viable platform," even if that just means a bunch of kids grabbed the 3DS version and got the Wii U one for free. Kind of like how Jay Z gave his most recent record away to Samsung phone users and went platinum on the first day of sales.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Soul Glo posted:

What Nintendo should do is a crossbuy/PSN-type sale system.

Crossplay, especially with Smash, would be smart... the only reason I'm even halfway considering buying a Vita at some point is because of Crossplay/PSN poo poo that has already amassed a virtual Vita library for me. If people bought the 3DS version of Smash and were given a code for the Wii U version (and vice versa) I could see that inspiring at least some people to go, "Well I've already got the game..."

vvv Not kidding, completely serious vvv

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 19, 2013

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

zenintrude posted:

I can't tell if you're kidding or not, but you do kinda have a point. It's kind of a pain in the rear end to get 4 3DSs and 4 copies of the same game in one place, compared to just a 1 console/game and 4 controllers. I think the 3DS version going to obviously be the most popular, but I really doubt it's going to be the version you'll want.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Smash Bros. on the go sounds fun.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, speaking as a guy that already owns a 3ds I would rather get the game for my handheld then get a wiiu despite all the other games on it that don't really interest me aside from Pikmin and Mario Kart. It really seems neat to have SSB on the go if the 3ds version is good

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

Same. I haven't bought a 3DS game in almost two years, and I'm very much interested in a SSB portable title, and if it's that good I may even switch to an XL for it. Though if it winds up being 30 frames per second, I may pass it up. It's not Smash Bros if it's not at a full 60 fps. :spergin:

Still not going to sell me on a Wii U, though.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Toady posted:

Smash Bros. on the go sounds fun.

ChaseSP posted:

Yeah, speaking as a guy that already owns a 3ds I would rather get the game for my handheld then get a wiiu despite all the other games on it that don't really interest me aside from Pikmin and Mario Kart. It really seems neat to have SSB on the go if the 3ds version is good

Again, I don't play these games, but how attractive would it be if it was portable, yet focused primarily (exclusively?) on a single-player experience? I know I've enjoyed the Lego City Undercover for 3DS despite it being severely limited compared to the Wii U version, but that was more of me wanting to do more in the world once I'd beaten the full-fledged console version.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?

Midee posted:

Same. I haven't bought a 3DS game in almost two years, and I'm very much interested in a SSB portable title, and if it's that good I may even switch to an XL for it. Though if it winds up being 30 frames per second, I may pass it up. It's not Smash Bros if it's not at a full 60 fps. :spergin:

I wish nintendo would keep up with everyone else in terms of hardware so that it was a viable option for people who only want one console but still want to play multiplatform games. Unlike the wii with it's silly motion controls I think the 2nd screen is legitimately a good idea and has some really cool ways that games could be written to use it. Unfortunately since the hardware is underpowered compared to the XB1 or PS4 no multiplatform games will be ported to it hence less incentive for people to buy it and less incentive for developers to make games for it. Instead of getting awesome titles to use the controller it will probably just end up with first party titles and a ton of shovelware again.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

TheGreySpectre posted:

it will probably just end up with [...] a ton of shovelware again.

Doubtful. The only reason the Wii (and DS) have tons of shovelware is because the install base was absolutely huge. There's little reason to produce garbage games for a console with an install base the size of the Wii U's.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Midee posted:

How in the world have you not bought a 3DS game in two years? There is just such a sheer volume of awesome games that have come out in that time.

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone

Midee posted:

Same. I haven't bought a 3DS game in almost two years,
:staredog:
Is this a joke?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Daeno posted:

Is this a joke?

The man is still working on 100%ing Steel Diver. Give him a break, geez!

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

Daeno posted:

Is this a joke?
Not really? The last game I bought was SM3DL in November 2011. So a year and nine months, give or take a few days. Better?

It feels like two years.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Midee posted:

Not really? The last game I bought was SM3DL in November 2011. So a year and nine months, give or take a few days. Better?

It feels like two years.

Well buckle up, a poo poo ton of excellent games have come out for 3DS and more are in the pipeline. Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion 2 and Animal Crossing are pretty excellent titles.

Or did you not buy games for some reason other reason?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

zenintrude posted:

Amusing that Eurogamer actually believes that parents pay any attention to game ratings...

Especially since GTA V comes out 2 days later and I'm certain I'm gonna see tons of kids in line. :v:

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Well buckle up, a poo poo ton of excellent games have come out for 3DS and more are in the pipeline. Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion 2 and Animal Crossing are pretty excellent titles.

Ok? :stare:

I don't buy 3DS games much because I lost interest and do most of my gaming on PC, but I'm still interested in SSB3DS. I don't understand why that really hit a nerve here, but whatever.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Midee posted:

Ok? :stare:

I don't buy 3DS games much because I lost interest and do most of my gaming on PC, but I'm still interested in SSB3DS. I don't understand why that really hit a nerve here, but whatever.

It'd be like saying the last 360 game you bought was Crackdown 1. All the best games have come out since you stopped buying new games.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
With their insane load of cash it would be interesting to see Nintendo do more of what they did with Bayonetta. Speaking personally, two Platinum exclusives, especially Bayonetta 2, were far more compelling in my decision to buy a used Wii U than Mario Kart whatever. If Nintendo outright bought a portfolio of niche companies with rabid fanbases like Atlus, Platinum, Vanillaware etc., it would go a long way toward making the Wii U a destination console for people who don't necessarily care about the usual mascot games.

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone

Midee posted:

It feels like two years.

Hey, I wasn't offended or anything, just like others have said, the 3DS has been a MONSTER lately with many many excellent releases.

You should check out the following, chances are some of them would be up your alley:

Fire Emblem: Awakening
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
Paper Mario: Sticker Star
Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan

Some great digital download only releases:

Pushmo
Crashmo
Crimson Shroud
Attack of the Friday Monsters! A Tokyo Tale
SteamWorld Dig

Cheers.

Daeno fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 19, 2013

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Nintendo should send free Wii Us + the five good games preinstalled to every single YouTube Let's Player. Problem solved.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

That only works if the games are worth a drat.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Okay wait here's a better idea. Nintendo should make good games that are worth buying. I expect my check in the mail by next week.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Would you accept Wii U futures?

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Fulchrum posted:

Did Blistered Thumbs become a credible bunch of professionals when I wasn't looking? Developers actually send them review copies?

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013

Soul Glo posted:

It'd be like saying the last 360 game you bought was Crackdown 1. All the best games have come out since you stopped buying new games.

I haven't bought a 360 game since Gears of War :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Fire Emblem was anime as all hell for a Nintendo or Fire Emblem game, Luigi Mansion 2 was okay but missing a certain atmosphere and shadows that I loved about the first, and after paying off my house every Animal Crossing since Gamecube I am just done for a while and skipping this one.

Zelda 3DS was the best version of itself and worth having on any shelf. Mario Land 3DS would really have benefited from anti aliasing and a real analog stick but I'm glad the Wii U one will fix both of these issues. The only 3DS titles I regret missing out on after re-gifting mine are Mighty Switch Force and Cave Story 3D. Of the ones Daeno listed I'd most like to play Pushmo and Crashmo. Luigi Dream Team looks alright I guess.

I was so disappointed with Fire Emblem 3DS that I turned around and actually started the GBA ones I hadn't finished before. Then I tried a save for Mario Advance 4 with the eReader levels and hey it turns out there is a huge library of stuff I haven't played on that thing.

• Locked thread