Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

If I want some good rear end animation, but I've already seen the mainstays (Akria, Ghibli, Redline, GiTS, etc.), where would I look?

Little Witch Academia, R.O.D. the OVA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rvm
May 6, 2013

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

If I want some good rear end animation, but I've already seen the mainstays (Akria, Ghibli, Redline, GiTS, etc.), where would I look?

Steamboy

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Everything KyoAni. Nichijou, Haruhi, Hyouka, Chuunibyo, and of course Free!, to name a few from recent years. PA Works also puts out some high quality animation (Angel Beats, The Eccentric Family).

I remember Denno Coil also having some decent animation. I also remember thinking Ghibli made it until I looked it up, if that's any indicator.

And seconding Little Witch Academia.

Lastly, Fate/Zero, if you haven't seen it.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

ViggyNash posted:

Lastly, Fate/Zero, if you haven't seen it.

If you're looking specifically for good animation also try Kara no Kyoukai which is of the same style but with a movie budget and more imaginative directors.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
A note about the KyoAni shows, I know some people like to explicitly differentiate between overall visuals and specifically animation, that is, what it looks like when things move (for lack of a better description). If I remember right there have been some arguments about a Naruto episode looking lovely but having spectacular animation or something?

Anyway, the KyoAni shows are absolutely gorgeous, but I don't know how to judge their animation quality in the second sense, if that's what you care about.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Just for animation? Youtube is a good place to get your bearings. Give "sakuga" a search. What comes up will be one of two things, either a video of the best cuts in a current anime or a spliced together video of an animator's body of work. Nearly all but the most budget starved or most poorly produced TV anime have some excellent work in them. Some shows with good animation are just lovely so personally I've given up chasing it through shows that never would have peaked my interest otherwise. If a show has some good animation in it then sooner or later someone is going to put it on Youtube or word will get out that lovely Otaku Show #134 has a 30 second cut that will blow your mind and you can just watch that.

Twitter has a lot of animation nerds so that's a good place to look.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Little witch academia is incredible.
Edit: oops there was another page

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

You mention mainstays - does that include Satoshi Kon's stuff?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Anything by UFOtable. Mostly Kara no Kyoukai and Fate/Zero, since those had huge budgets.

EDIT: Actually apparently UFOtable did Sonic X. maybe not 'anything.'

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Chas McGill posted:

You mention mainstays - does that include Satoshi Kon's stuff?

Yeah. I've also seen Dead leaves and Little Witch Academia. I've got zero interest in anything fate/ or Haruhi. And maybe I should have been more specific, I'm more in favor of style than straight competency or high quality regular animation, but I'd still be down for a cool show that fits the latter. A dub is also a plus. Thanks for the recs so far though. Katanagatri and and tatami galaxy look cool.

Oh poo poo the dude in katanagatari fights with his bare hands. Definitely gonna check that out.

Dred Cosmonaut fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 18, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Guyver posted:

Just for animation? Youtube is a good place to get your bearings. Give "sakuga" a search. What comes up will be one of two things, either a video of the best cuts in a current anime or a spliced together video of an animator's body of work. Nearly all but the most budget starved or most poorly produced TV anime have some excellent work in them. Some shows with good animation are just lovely so personally I've given up chasing it through shows that never would have peaked my interest otherwise. If a show has some good animation in it then sooner or later someone is going to put it on Youtube or word will get out that lovely Otaku Show #134 has a 30 second cut that will blow your mind and you can just watch that.

Twitter has a lot of animation nerds so that's a good place to look.

This is definitely the best way to go since there are some shows with godawful writing but gorgeous scenes.

I really like this guy's videos:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLCC3Gw0J_QT-eC6sRdVgpQ

Dude makes sakuga videos that collect good cuts of recent anime for each month. He's a few months behind right now but there are plenty of good videos to sift through. Might be a good place to start!

Also Macross: Do You Remember Love wasn't mentioned so I gotta put that out there. It's certainly no Akira or anything but as far as 80s animation quality goes it's definitely in the top 5.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mononoke if you want a really distinct visual style, then. Not to be confused with the Ghibli movie Princess Mononoke.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Srice posted:

Also Macross Plus wasn't mentioned so I gotta put that out there. It's certainly no Akira or anything but as far as 80s animation quality goes it's definitely in the top 5.

Fixed that for you :colbert:.

edit: Whoops, got Remember Love mixed up with a Macross OVA. Plus is really gorgeous too though.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 18, 2013

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

Is Azumanga Daioh worth the watch? I found the manga amusing, and I love Yotsuba&!.
Also I am ashamed to admit I have only seen 2 episodes of Cowboy Bebop (the dub when it was running on Adult Swim). Should I watch the dub or the sub? Am I in for a treat?
Lastly is ROD good? It went over my head as a kid but the animation looked cool! Is it a good story?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Azumanga is great, though the first few episodes are kind of meh while the team seems to work out how to adapt a 4 koma properly. Yes, watch Bebop. I've never watched the sub but I've heard that the dub is better. And for ROD, the ova is good but the series itself is only so-so.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Watch Azumanga, watch Bebop dubbed, and the ROD OVA is a lot better than the tv series was so you should check that out first.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
For Bebop, I don't have a particular preference for the dub over subs. I'd say get both, and choose one to watch through with. Then for your second viewing, watch the other.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

DerLeo posted:

If you're looking specifically for good animation also try Kara no Kyoukai which is of the same style but with a movie budget and more imaginative directors.

Wait, KnK's animation is better than Fate/Zero? Holy crap, I gotta see that.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kara no Kyoukai does have the advantage of being a series of movies, so I would hope that it would look a lot better than something done on a tv budget.

(Though personally I feel like Fate/Zero had pretty good animation sometimes but is something that would never come to my mind when thinking of the best)

Srice fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 18, 2013

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

RebBrownies posted:

Is Azumanga Daioh worth the watch? I found the manga amusing, and I love Yotsuba&!.
Also I am ashamed to admit I have only seen 2 episodes of Cowboy Bebop (the dub when it was running on Adult Swim). Should I watch the dub or the sub? Am I in for a treat?
Lastly is ROD good? It went over my head as a kid but the animation looked cool! Is it a good story?

Shinichiro Watanabe (the director) prefers Bebop's dub and it is widely regarded as the absolute best ever. Bebop itself is also widely regarded as the absolute best anime ever made, so yeah you're in for a treat. I watched the first episode of AD and thought it was the stupidest poo poo ever FWIW, but if you liked the manga why not check it out? By ROD do you mean read or die? I've never seen it but a friend told me it was pretty cool and its only like 3 episodes, so you might as well give it a shot.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Azumanga Daioh basically started the "schoolgirls doing nothing slice of life shenanigans" type of show. It's still a pretty fun and relaxed show and has next to no fanservice(unless the mere existence of a school swimsuit counts as fanservice to you).

It's a good show and if you liked the manga then definitely watch the anime.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Captain Invictus posted:

Azumanga Daioh basically started the "schoolgirls doing nothing slice of life shenanigans" type of show. It's still a pretty fun and relaxed show and has next to no fanservice(unless the mere existence of a school swimsuit counts as fanservice to you).

It's a good show and if you liked the manga then definitely watch the anime.

It definitely started the genre, but it's kind of aged poorly. A lot of slice of life since AD use the same jokes, and the Azumanga Daioh anime's pacing is very very slow.

If you liked Azumanga Daioh and want to watch something similar, I have to suggest Nichijou or Daily Lives of High School Boys as much improved examples of the genre.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

gnome7 posted:

It definitely started the genre, but it's kind of aged poorly. A lot of slice of life since AD use the same jokes, and the Azumanga Daioh anime's pacing is very very slow.

:rolleye:

Azumanga's comedy chops may be a little overrated (though that slow pace really pays off at times), but SoL shows live and die on their cast, and no other show has a better one. It's believable that these characters care about one another, and the show it by proving that they know how to push one another's buttons. The genre leaves a lot of room for contrivance, but somehow Azumanga manages to make the formula feel like the most natural thing in the world. Most other shows like this feel flat and mean-spirited in comparison.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

Azumanga's comedy chops may be a little overrated (though that slow pace really pays off at times), but SoL shows live and die on their cast, and no other show has a better one. It's believable that these characters care about one another, and the show it by proving that they know how to push one another's buttons. The genre leaves a lot of room for contrivance, but somehow Azumanga manages to make the formula feel like the most natural thing in the world. Most other shows like this feel flat and mean-spirited in comparison.

Having watched the likes of Nichijou and Nichibros first, Azumanga fell pretty flat for me. I only managed to get to episode 6 before I got bored of it. I won't deny that it is a great SoL comedy, but just because it started the genre doesn't make it the epitome of the genre's strengths.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

The Devil Tesla posted:

Azumanga's comedy chops may be a little overrated (though that slow pace really pays off at times), but SoL shows live and die on their cast, and no other show has a better one.

You haven't watched Daily Lives of High School Boys.

quote:

It's believable that these characters care about one another, and the show it by proving that they know how to push one another's buttons. The genre leaves a lot of room for contrivance, but somehow Azumanga manages to make the formula feel like the most natural thing in the world. Most other shows like this feel flat and mean-spirited in comparison.

I agree with all of this. Azumanga is still a pretty good show in a genre that is defined by mediocrity, but Nichijou and Daily Lives are superb. Seriously, go watch them.

Honestly, if you want to see the start of the genre, I recommend reading Azumanga Daioh's manga. The anime has some extra gags, but the pacing is atrocious, especially early on. Also I can't stand Chiyo's VA.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
So, I tried out Steins;Gate after seeing it mentioned so often here. I'm not impressed after 4 episodes. I love the idea of the time traveling text messages, the references to John Titor, the idea of an amateur mad scientist, but...I don't actually enjoy watching it. The side characters all seem to be 'wacky' caricatures and there's no sense of narrative movement. I'm finding the scenes with Shiina almost unbearable due to the combination of her VA (in both English and Japanese) and her irritating preciousness - I stopped watching in disgust at the bit in episode 4 when she's trying to 'shake hands with the stars' or whatever. Daru and Makise seem OK by comparison. I'm going to give it another episode and if it doesn't improve drastically, I'll consider it validation of my tendency not to watch shows based on computer games.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I like Steins;Gate though the side characters never really break out of being just "wacky caricatures". If you're not sold on Okabe's mad scientist rants by now then you're probably not gonna like the rest, since he really carries the show.

e: VVV They did have story arcs that take up an episode or two but I felt like most of them didn't really develop the characters, it felt more like giving an explanation for why they act the way they do. Which is fine but if you're not a fan of the side characters as they are I feel it doesn't help much (especially since most of that stuff happens in the second half of the show).

Srice fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 19, 2013

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I didn't watch most of the anime adaptation but that's kind of sad to hear that the side characters stay static in it. All of them got pretty decent character development in their respective endings in the VN, Except for like Daru.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I didn't watch most of the anime adaptation but that's kind of sad to hear that the side characters stay static in it. All of them got pretty decent character development in their respective endings in the VN, Except for like Daru.

Suzuha and Moeka are still handled well. Faris and Ruka were the only real casualties.

As for the guy watching the anime: keep at it. It really picks up once the time travel shenanigans start 6 or 7 episodes in.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

So I'm not a big anime watcher but I know there are some great anime shows out there. I guess I have been fairly mainstream. I'll name some of the ones I've enjoyed and hopefully there are either similar anime or other simply great anime someone can recommend me.

I'm watching Attack on Titan now and I find it probably one of the best anime I've seen (out of, I guess around 10, so I don't know what that's saying). Seriously though, I can't get enough and I'm sad that I found out about it while it's still ongoing because I have to wait for each episode to come out. I enjoyed SAO and I also really loved Madoka Magica. Other than that I've seen Death Note (it really fell apart after the midway part but way back when I watched it, the first half was decent) and Code Geass (which was all right in some ways, boring in others). I've also seen basically most of Studio Ghibli's films and they are pretty drat awesome.

So I guess while I lean towards stuff that is somewhat more action-y I would love to hear of any other really well-lauded anime that seem like they'd fit in with the above. Thanks in advance!

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Chas McGill posted:

So, I tried out Steins;Gate after seeing it mentioned so often here. I'm not impressed after 4 episodes. I love the idea of the time traveling text messages, the references to John Titor, the idea of an amateur mad scientist, but...I don't actually enjoy watching it. The side characters all seem to be 'wacky' caricatures and there's no sense of narrative movement. I'm finding the scenes with Shiina almost unbearable due to the combination of her VA (in both English and Japanese) and her irritating preciousness - I stopped watching in disgust at the bit in episode 4 when she's trying to 'shake hands with the stars' or whatever. Daru and Makise seem OK by comparison. I'm going to give it another episode and if it doesn't improve drastically, I'll consider it validation of my tendency not to watch shows based on computer games.

I personally thought the first ~6ish episodes were not good. The show gets better -- much better, but Mayuri doesn't really change. I'd say give it a few more, as I'd be really surprised if you kept with it and didn't appreciate it, based on what you already like.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Mayuri doesn't change much but if you don't like her you're officially a grumpy old goon.

Okabe changes rather dramatically, and if you don't like him at the start it's probably because he's socially awkward and an rear end in a top hat to everyone he meets and you're not supposed to like him.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I like him because he's a socially awkward rear end in a top hat.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
OK, I'll give it till the 7th ep. Mayuri is horrible, though - so much of what I dislike about anime all in one character. Okabe's OK. His dub in English is outrageously smug.

I am a grumpy old goon.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Just wait till they introduce Feyris and Mayuri will seem positively benign by comparison.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Chas McGill posted:

:hfive: what up disliked Steins;Gate buddy
I didn't really care for it either, you got farther than me in fact. I think it's OK to not enjoy something that's highly praised, and if you aren't enjoying it stop watching and find something else. I have a policy about anime based on games as well, especially if I can go to the wiki page and find "eroge" anywhere on it. Beyond that however, I feel that they tend to already have an audience built in and are more about appealing to fans of the source material than drawing in an uninitiated viewer. I think this is especially demonstrated when someone asks "hey is [Insert Anime Based on Game/VN Here] any good?" and people tell them to go to the original source first.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Clocks posted:

So I'm not a big anime watcher but I know there are some great anime shows out there. I guess I have been fairly mainstream. I'll name some of the ones I've enjoyed and hopefully there are either similar anime or other simply great anime someone can recommend me.

I'm watching Attack on Titan now and I find it probably one of the best anime I've seen (out of, I guess around 10, so I don't know what that's saying). Seriously though, I can't get enough and I'm sad that I found out about it while it's still ongoing because I have to wait for each episode to come out. I enjoyed SAO and I also really loved Madoka Magica. Other than that I've seen Death Note (it really fell apart after the midway part but way back when I watched it, the first half was decent) and Code Geass (which was all right in some ways, boring in others). I've also seen basically most of Studio Ghibli's films and they are pretty drat awesome.

So I guess while I lean towards stuff that is somewhat more action-y I would love to hear of any other really well-lauded anime that seem like they'd fit in with the above. Thanks in advance!

The ADTRWiki has a section that would really help you out.

http://www.adtrwiki.com/index.php?title=New%3F

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I've never played the Steins;Gate game and I generally agree with your assessment of VN adaptations.

That said, it's not god-tier material either. If you really don't like it just go watch Welcome to the NHK or The Tatami Galaxy instead. :toot:

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I've already seen those. That's the problem :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Everything Burrito posted:

I think this is especially demonstrated when someone asks "hey is [Insert Anime Based on Game/VN Here] any good?" and people tell them to go to the original source first.
That story's old as time, though. "The book/comic/whatever was better!" It just the sort of thing that goes with adaptations that will have a pre-established audience. It doesn't mean it's always true of course, or that it can't vary per person, but it shouldn't surprise you either.

• Locked thread