Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Studio
Jan 15, 2008

They did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They had like 3.5k when the track was still there.

A success but I wonder if they expected more.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

The original goal was 30k I believe.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Studio posted:

The original goal was 30k I believe.

That was what they got during the Sandython I believe, maybe more of a placeholder than anything, a bit to ambitious for something like this I feel, that and marathon overload.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Yea, I felt really bad when I saw they were like 2,000 of 30,000 on day of that thing. Eventually they took it down but perhaps in the future just not set an active goal like that, hate to see them think they didn't do a good enough job or anything because every penny counts in charity.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Setting up a charity marathon 2 weeks after one of the biggest charity marathons of the year probably wasn't great from a donation standpoint.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Gimnbo posted:

Setting up a charity marathon 2 weeks after one of the biggest charity marathons of the year probably wasn't great from a donation standpoint.

Even better planning we're the people with less clout in the community setting up their own charity marathon that was originally going to overlap this one, they decided to move it back but it's just another example of the issues of such a decentralized community.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Peaches just broke his old Doom 64 hardest difficulty WR by almost 3 minutes, 1:08:16 is the final time.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Disappointingly but perhaps not entirely unexpectedly, all my AGDQ suggestions were seemingly shot down.

And thus my least favourite part about the rules for the games topic: Being limited to suggesting five games and having them all rejected means I'm going to sit here and wonder if any of the other games I speedrun and could have suggested would have had a better chance of making it in. Probably not, since not even Bionic Commando Rearmed 100% made the cut and that's definitely the most entertaining run of a decently "high-profile" game I have in my repertoire, but...

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

KennyMan666 posted:

Disappointingly but perhaps not entirely unexpectedly, all my AGDQ suggestions were seemingly shot down.

And thus my least favourite part about the rules for the games topic: Being limited to suggesting five games and having them all rejected means I'm going to sit here and wonder if any of the other games I speedrun and could have suggested would have had a better chance of making it in. Probably not, since not even Bionic Commando Rearmed 100% made the cut and that's definitely the most entertaining run of a decently "high-profile" game I have in my repertoire, but...

To be fair, most of your games would fit SGDQ better. AGDQ is really all about putting as many bums on seats, eyes on screens and donations in accounts as possible. SGDQ can afford to be more of a showcase.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

mfcrocker posted:

To be fair, most of your games would fit SGDQ better. AGDQ is really all about putting as many bums on seats, eyes on screens and donations in accounts as possible. SGDQ can afford to be more of a showcase.

Yeah, I really wanted to get Bleed in (and They Bleed Pixels a little less), but the only game that had a chance was the one that was GOTY 2004 on a bunch of different websites and made by Valve.

What I'm seeing from this is that stateside might need to have a marathon similar to ESA that isn't primarily for profit, but as a get together for a bunch of runners to play games, meet each other,and have fun. SGDQ might fill that gap but it will still have charity in mind.

Kennyman, I read through Uyama's responses, 2 of game responses them seem to be missing... the ends of sentences. It's a long shot, but you could ask for clarification and see if he's looking for more info, but it looks rough (Little Samson owns though)

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
"Let's get together and speedrun games, let viewers donate to a charity with incentives for hijinks"

I believe that's how ESA2012 became ESA2012 and how ESA2013 was no different. We had nothing like that before, we wanted it done and we got it done, for the sake of being social and getting together. ESA is a miracle with a formula that might not work outside of Europe.

I know the origin (going to MickWilliam's basement) but how did AGDQ begin, was it to be a get-together or a donation-job right from the original planning?

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
CGDQ was meant to be something to do at MAGFest (a local con) originally. It moved to Mike's basement when it turned out the hotel internet was completely unusable.

So I guess mostly the former?

AGDQ was basically meant to be an extension of CGDQ, we just knew that staying at a house wouldn't be feasible so we tried to find something that could hold more people.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I should probably get good at a game before ESA2014 :shobon:

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Studio posted:

Yeah, I really wanted to get Bleed in (and They Bleed Pixels a little less), but the only game that had a chance was the one that was GOTY 2004 on a bunch of different websites and made by Valve.
Funny you should mention Bleed, I bought it on my recent XBLIG dive and is one I'm considering getting into running a bit. It'd be Very Hard NG+ if anything.

An XBLIG that I'm definitely going to be running and pretty much already am is Adventures of Captain Becky which really is a much better game than it has any right to be.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
http://www.happytailsmarathon.com/ has Kirby Super Star 100% with 0xwas, and then I'm doing Suikoden if you care about JRPG speedruns.

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

I had never played or seen Suikoden before and it was pretty interesting. I'll have to play it casually one of these days.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Alteisen posted:

Peaches just broke his old Doom 64 hardest difficulty WR by almost 3 minutes, 1:08:16 is the final time.

This owns. gs peaches

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

RaspberryCommie posted:

If anyone's interested, Feasel's doing more FF1 WR attempts.

These were so frustrating. He got hosed so many times in the first half hour, or so.

Still, it's crazy to see someone play the game I could never beat back in the 80's. Hell, I could barely get past Garland for a while.

Alteisen posted:

I was wondering why I hadn't seen him on in a while, turns out I had un-followed him. His Doom64 runs are always awesome.

usedpizza
Jan 1, 2009

Give it up for the champ
Another new 120 star wr http://www.twitch.tv/basedurngod333221/c/2779790

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

I don't know what I'm looking at but it hurts.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

:stare:

That's an interesting way to run SM64.

And does the VC version of SM64 have a significant time advantage of the N64 version? Cosmo was talking about it last night, I think, but I got tired of watching him fight Gohma over and over.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

CVagts posted:

http://www.happytailsmarathon.com/ has Kirby Super Star 100% with 0xwas, and then I'm doing Suikoden if you care about JRPG speedruns.

I missed this but I wanted to let you know I watch your Suikoden runs sometimes and make a pretty dry game entertaining.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Sir Tonk posted:

:stare:

That's an interesting way to run SM64.

And does the VC version of SM64 have a significant time advantage of the N64 version? Cosmo was talking about it last night, I think, but I got tired of watching him fight Gohma over and over.

It's a roughly 2.5 to 3 minute advantage.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Brett824 posted:

It's a roughly 2.5 to 3 minute advantage.

Ah, thanks.

Keyboard Kid posted:

Twitch is to blame here: many people were reporting lag (on excellent connections) while others had no issues. From what I understand, when you watch Twitch, the video comes from one of their many servers, and if you're on one that's getting hammered, you won't have smooth video. My internet slows down to ~2 mbps down during the evenings on Friday-Sunday, and I had zero issues while watching. They're probably not streaming at a high bitrate. Obviously that's not on the level of bad DSL connections or what have you, but I don't think they should be worried about it.

Is this essentially what is happening? I was able to run 1080p streams no problem earlier this year, but now I can barely keep 480p streams going without it buffering every ten seconds. I have seen a few forum arguments over whether it is the ISP's fault, or Twitch, and I would love to know as it can be quite frustrating. If it is Twitch's fault, then there is no reason to continue my subscriptions for the time being.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Dang, that video looks like something I would do. If my computer wasn't busted I'd be making sure I didn't black out and accidentally WR.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

Wow. He's so fast the video blueshifted.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Sir Tonk posted:

Is this essentially what is happening? I was able to run 1080p streams no problem earlier this year, but now I can barely keep 480p streams going without it buffering every ten seconds. I have seen a few forum arguments over whether it is the ISP's fault, or Twitch, and I would love to know as it can be quite frustrating. If it is Twitch's fault, then there is no reason to continue my subscriptions for the time being.

Twitch has boomed like mad, everyone want to stream their poo poo, ISPs have started limiting, low-priority filtering Twitch traffic.

Nicovideo has its issues (384kbps to squeeze audio and video of your stream into kinda stings but 640x360 isn't bad for not-go-fast games) but they give you their site-exclusive Xsplit program and more for 525 yen a month and they seem to have gotten over their several weekly maintenance periods now. If Twitch want to live an little easier life they should figure out some realistic bandwidth limits, tell everybody there was no other way to survive, I tried streaming a 1080p30 rhythm game at 6mbps and even that was overkill in video quality, it was too close to the quality of the local 14mbps copy I recorded alongside it.

That streaming test was during the off-hours one day when only a few partner streamers were on and no godfucking MOBA tournament was making their chat and streaming servers poo poo themselves, so maybe I got full quality then and not the 1000kbps it's said people can get dropped to automatically during high traffic.

Went 720p60 in a game at 1mbps and that was a blocky ugly affair a lot of the time but 2mbps was more than acceptable. Now, if Twitch add some realistic limits (2mbps for free, 6mbps for paid?); after they shrug off the class action lawsuits they're bound to get, are the chat servers going to find themselves more stable?

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

MrLonghair posted:

Twitch has boomed like mad, everyone want to stream their poo poo, ISPs have started limiting, low-priority filtering Twitch traffic.

Do you have any source/info on this? Not that I'm doubting it, but it's the first I've really heard about it. Most of the people who I see getting lag just happen to have it happen at random.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Keyboard Kid posted:

Do you have any source/info on this? Not that I'm doubting it, but it's the first I've really heard about it. Most of the people who I see getting lag just happen to have it happen at random.

It's about throttling the CDN, looking into it I see at least TWC added exceptions (after almost a year and a half of complaints, and working together with Twitch to solve it, and Twitch's CEO(?) made an AMA about it). Same CDN that youtube uses, that explains some oddities.

(Most of the random lag is just getting a bad stream-mirror while viewing, completely and utterly random, and gently caress them for not figuring out why you have to watch at 720p or sometimes 720+ and no other choice to get a watchable steady stream no matter what.)

e:h

http://obsproject.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5814 posted:

The Twitch.tv staff frowns upon anyone going over 3500 and actually recommends limiting it to CBR @ 2000 Kbps for a lag-free experience for your viewers.
Why even enable data-rates that high to be used? That has to be a big issue. Then why and how would sending larger packets to Twitch force viewers to take larger packets?
:psyduck:

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 19, 2013

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

To anybody in the dark about this, that's one of Siglemic's alt accounts.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

argondamn posted:

I think we can all agree the last thing this is is dark

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
ZFG is on WR pace for OOT 100% in the final stretch of the run.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

This post will likely mean that his power is going to go out in the next 10 minutes, but barring that ZFG is on track to improve his WR for OoT 100%. He said he will probably do all dungeons after too.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Started watching to jynx it!

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

argondamn posted:

so this is the ultimate genesis of runner burnout? i like it.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

TheQat posted:

so this is the ultimate genesis of runner burnout? i like it.

It really is just an example of how much sig respects VC, which is not at all.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
ZFG just beat his record, but it could have been a lot better thanks to a lot of late mistakes.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

MrLonghair posted:

Why even enable data-rates that high to be used? That has to be a big issue. Then why and how would sending larger packets to Twitch force viewers to take larger packets?
:psyduck:

Because the community would have a shitstorm if they just stopped that as an option altogether (THE PIXELS ARE OFF!!) and transcoding to lower rates would be even more expensive on Twitch's part.

Twitch could say "please pay if you want a higher quality stream" as a way of decreasing the amount of high-quality streams without causing a shitstorm (though one would probably still happen if done poorly), but the money wouldn't go to better infrastructure -- the issue isn't with them, but with the ISPs. And Twitch can't just throw money at the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
$20 indie game Gone Home can be beaten in less than two minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g3trvkAFQw

• Locked thread