Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I want to play this but the prices carts are going for makes me feel anxious about handling mine (:ohdear:), so I'm going with an emulator.

It's a bit grindy for sure, but thus far it doesn't feel out of hand. I managed to get through Onett pretty quickly yesterday and my first thought was "It's so much shorter than I remember."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RStar
Aug 18, 2013

Quiet Feet posted:

I want to play this but the prices carts are going for makes me feel anxious about handling mine (:ohdear:), so I'm going with an emulator.

It's a bit grindy for sure, but thus far it doesn't feel out of hand. I managed to get through Onett pretty quickly yesterday and my first thought was "It's so much shorter than I remember."

As a kid it felt epic. I remember thinking how huge the game was. Playing it these days you just don't get the same feeling.

It sure does hit you in the face with nostalgia though. Still a blast to play all these years later.

HarveyVdarski
Aug 19, 2011

by Pipski

Quiet Feet posted:

Quiet Feet posted:

The game took me 60 hours to beat first time, but thats because I explored everything, talked to everyone, etc.

It was great, sometimes I would just walk around a town listening to the awesome music. EB isn't long, because my "i know how to do everything" playthrough was as previously stated only 25 hours..

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Guy at a major gaming site is playing through EB for the first time, posts screenshots taken with his phone :suicide:

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/a-journey-to-discover-if-earthbound-holds-up/1100-4716/

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

zenintrude posted:

Guy at a major gaming site is playing through EB for the first time, posts screenshots taken with his phone :suicide:

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/a-journey-to-discover-if-earthbound-holds-up/1100-4716/

To be fair, he recently moved away from the main office and no longer has access to any of their capture equipment, so off-TV pictures are really his only option. They're good quality pictures, so I don't really see a problem with it.

HarveyVdarski
Aug 19, 2011

by Pipski

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

And suddenly it all made sense.

I thought it was because they liked Freddie Mercury.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

zenintrude posted:

Wait wait wait wait wait

I thought the ruler and protractor increased Jeff's chances of fixing poo poo?

loving

This game, man.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
A video for the Mother 4 fan-thing went up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fNbJIl_Mkg

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

Hace posted:

Is it me or is it kind of lovely to call your fan-game to be a next installation in the series?

I mean, I understand Itoi made it clear he didn't want to re-visit the series (For now), but the title is incredibly misleading.

Regardless it's incredibly well-made.

Fancy Hat! fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 19, 2013

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Fancy Hat! posted:

Is it me or is it kind of lovely to call your fan-game to be a next installation in the series?

I mean, I understand Itoi made it clear he didn't want to re-visit the series (For now), but the title is incredibly misleading.

Yeah, to me it's just asking Nintendo to interfere.

I know, I know, they'll probably be cool with it if it's not sold for profit. But still, you'd think Nintendo would want to make sure there's no confusion on the off-chance they do want to make a Mother 4 someday.

Just call it Mother: Another Dimension or something

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I agree! Especially since Mother is straight up a Japanese series too, which to me makes it even weirder. It'd almost make more sense just to call it Earthbound 2.

Also that looks really well made, but I just find it a shame that it's going to always have the stigma as being seen as a fan-game. I'd almost prefer that Nintendo steps in, so that they have to rename it, so then it'd simply be a game influenced by Earthbound, rather than trying to be it.

Hace fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 19, 2013

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Are those RPG maker sound effects? Yikes.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Fancy Hat! posted:

Regardless it's incredibly well-made.

I was making a list of things people would never feel the need to bitch or whine about. The only thing on it was "free video games." Now I have to cross that off, too.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Mr. Belding posted:

I was making a list of things people would never feel the need to bitch or whine about. The only thing on it was "free video games." Now I have to cross that off, too.

You are not good at reading

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

triplexpac posted:

Just call it Mother: Another Dimension or something

Mother: Other M. :v:

avlein
Jun 13, 2011
Ness! The use of the Hawk Eye is now authorized!

...halfway into the Deep Darkness.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
I started playing Mother 3 yesterday. Is the cyber-drago supposed to bash your brains in? I used the fang right at the start, but I could not seem to scratch him after that. Am I missing something or should I EarthBound up and grind the poo poo out of flying mouses?

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Royal W posted:

I started playing Mother 3 yesterday. Is the cyber-drago supposed to bash your brains in? I used the fang right at the start, but I could not seem to scratch him after that. Am I missing something or should I EarthBound up and grind the poo poo out of flying mouses?

It's not an easy fight, but it shouldn't be giving you that much trouble. Are you remembering to use Flint's stat-boosting moves? spending the first few rounds of combat buffing your defense might help.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Yeah, if you can reach him you should be able to beat him. Did you pick up that board that was lying around, and equip it?

Between buffs, equipment, and healing items, he shouldn't be too difficult. Tougher than anything so far! But doable without too much of a struggle.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ezzer posted:

It's not an easy fight, but it shouldn't be giving you that much trouble. Are you remembering to use Flint's stat-boosting moves? spending the first few rounds of combat buffing your defense might help.

This is solid advice for basically every fight in the game, stat buffs/debuffs can stack multiple times and the game gives you all sorts of ways to do that for a reason (ditto with stuff that causes status ailments).

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Sword of Kings farming is the worst. Two Super Bomb teases so far. :smith:

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

ETB posted:

Sword of Kings farming is the worst. Two Super Bomb teases so far. :smith:

every time I get it my team ends up being so over leveled that the rest of the game is pie.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

every time I get it my team ends up being so over leveled that the rest of the game is pie.

I've resorted to savestating with resetting the RNG with pressing B twice after each save. I gotta keep the rest of the game challenging somehow...

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

DarkHamsterlord posted:

To be fair, he recently moved away from the main office and no longer has access to any of their capture equipment, so off-TV pictures are really his only option. They're good quality pictures, so I don't really see a problem with it.

an hdmi capture card, for a proper pc is 100~ USD, and one that records to SD cards, is 160~. They're paying him to write this, right?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Rawrbomb posted:

an hdmi capture card, for a proper pc is 100~ USD, and one that records to SD cards, is 160~. They're paying him to write this, right?

I think he does have capture equipment. I don't know why he used a phone pic and to be honest it doesn't even matter in the context of the article. Just read it geez.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rawrbomb posted:

An EasyCAP is like $5, and it's not like a 20 year-old game with simplistic graphics requires the highest-fidelity HD screencaps.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Walliard posted:

Mother: Other M. :v:

...I wish I could upvote individual posts.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
Let's not turn this into a "Patrick sucks and is the worst" conversation.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Rawrbomb posted:

I don't know how PC capture cards work, but he's playing on WiiU, can you record to a PC from that?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

triplexpac posted:

I don't know how PC capture cards work, but he's playing on WiiU, can you record to a PC from that?

Yes, they mentioned HDMI capture card, not composite or whatever. Dunno how your SNES would output HDMI :haw:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes, they mentioned HDMI capture card, not composite or whatever. Dunno how your SNES would output HDMI :haw:

Ohhh right, my brain just glossed over the "HDMI" in that post. Maybe it was the lack of proper capitalization :colbert:

Debonhare
Jan 15, 2004
I like rice.
Reading through this thread makes me want to do a play through, as I haven't touched the game in at least 5 years (?) despite going through the game at least once a year before that. I think my crowning achievement is a save file on my original cartridge where I have the Sword of Kings, Magic Fry Pan, Goddess Ribbon, and Star Pendant. Don't think I got Jeff's weapon on that file though. Embarrassingly this was about the time SMRPG came out and so my characters' names are Mario, PToad, Geno, and Yoshi, with the dog being Bowser. Still have no regrets except years later, 'Peach' started getting used and would have probably made a better name.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

triplexpac posted:

I've been streaming my entire play though of earthbound on twitch, I hope so ;)

You can't capture the gamepad output, without silliness right now, either some sort of complicated webcam overhead, or some program that would pickup the wifi stream. This really isn't available to the general public though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt2-IRiWd40

https://twitter.com/delroth_/status/336299654662721537
https://twitter.com/delroth_/status/336434325350383617

Edit:
Wii u gamepad capture: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67ijy_y4PA4

Rawrbomb fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 20, 2013

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Debonhare posted:

Reading through this thread makes me want to do a play through, as I haven't touched the game in at least 5 years (?) despite going through the game at least once a year before that. I think my crowning achievement is a save file on my original cartridge where I have the Sword of Kings, Magic Fry Pan, Goddess Ribbon, and Star Pendant. Don't think I got Jeff's weapon on that file though. Embarrassingly this was about the time SMRPG came out and so my characters' names are Mario, PToad, Geno, and Yoshi, with the dog being Bowser. Still have no regrets except years later, 'Peach' started getting used and would have probably made a better name.

I think that's cute. PToad is pretty clever for putting it into 5 characters. Did you know that in the original Japanese, there was a set of default names that was pretty close to that?

http://legendsoflocalization.com/earthbound/new-game/

Ness was Mario, Paula was Peach, Jeff was Luigi, Poo was Toad, the dog was Yoshi, favorite food was mushrooms, and favorite thing was Goal.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Catalina posted:

I think that's cute. PToad is pretty clever for putting it into 5 characters. Did you know that in the original Japanese, there was a set of default names that was pretty close to that?

http://legendsoflocalization.com/earthbound/new-game/

Ness was Mario, Paula was Peach, Jeff was Luigi, Poo was Toad, the dog was Yoshi, favorite food was mushrooms, and favorite thing was Goal.
My favorite part about the default names was in the Japanese version all the Beatles got names (including Yoko for Paula) and poor Ringo had to be the dog.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Yoko should've been the dog. And then the dog should've been put down whenever it was named that by a player.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Yoko should've been the dog. And then the dog should've been put down whenever it was named that by a player.

This is weird, you're weird :confused:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Nah Yoko Ono is awesome, the only people who hate her for "breaking up the Beatles" are generally idiots who basically know nothing about the Beatles or Ono.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

TheRationalRedditor posted:

If Ness is John, why would he ever do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

Hace posted:

"Floyd tried to bribe the enemy!"

That's beautiful. I really hope Floyd is the equivalent of Loid, Jeff and Duster but instead of using gadgets he just flashes his all his cash at foes.

• Locked thread