Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

Rurik posted:

No, which is a shame, since she's one of my favorite characters. :(
I was seriously so happy when she and Logen hosed. I was hoping so hard they would last.

Because that's how much of a loving moron I am. Even when I know I'm being naive, I'm like Sideshow Bob stepping on one rake after another.

At least Abercrombie let me have Shy and Temple together at the end of Red Country. I've effectively sidestepped one rake. Hurray!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

nutranurse posted:

Nope! She was easily one of the most distressing fridging of women that Abercrombie's done. I was pretty upset with him for it, considering he had such a great opportunity to make, not only a strong/believable/awesome female character, but also a POC one. At least we got Temple. :v:

Honestly, I do not know how interesting a character she would have been considering that all the motives we got from her were just Monza's turned up to 11. Which is pretty extreme.

I wouldn't say that Ferro got Fridged, i'd be really suprised if we don't find out more about whats going on with her in the next trilogy.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I don't think he's ever killed a pov character offscreen. I doubt that is what happened, we just have no idea what's happening in Gurkhul and haven't from the beginning. I'll bet the new trilogy has someone from there's pov.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Jeffrey posted:

I don't think he's ever killed a pov character offscreen. I doubt that is what happened, we just have no idea what's happening in Gurkhul and haven't from the beginning. I'll bet the new trilogy has someone from there's pov.

He should kill a POV character offscreen, though. My money's on Dogman or dan Luthar.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ravenfood posted:

Have we heard anything about Ferro after the end of the LAoK?

How long was the trip back from the edged of the world? I was curious what would happen if Logen had gotten Ferro pregnant during the trip. A baby who can talk to spirits and also has demon blood could really be a game changer. I hope Ferro comes back in some form, we never got to see any of the Gurkish lands.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Your Gay Uncle posted:

How long was the trip back from the edged of the world? I was curious what would happen if Logen had gotten Ferro pregnant during the trip. A baby who can talk to spirits and also has demon blood could really be a game changer. I hope Ferro comes back in some form, we never got to see any of the Gurkish lands.

On the subject of people having babies, didn't Abercrombie say that the next trilogy deals with the children of the protagonists/next generation of people to be screwed over by Bayaz/Khalul?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

nutranurse posted:

On the subject of people having babies, didn't Abercrombie say that the next trilogy deals with the children of the protagonists/next generation of people to be screwed over by Bayaz/Khalul?

I'm sure most of the original POV characters will be in it, just not the focus. I doubt he'd go so far as to set it after their deaths. Surely Shivers will be redeemed one of these days(nope)!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
drat, I was hoping there would be a reference to her somewhere that might help shed a little more light on the Logen/B9 comparison. And then, there's the effects of the Seed at the end of LAoK that have basically turned her into some kind of superhuman (more than she was) which would be another power in the world. Sure, she might not be able to move armies like Bayaz, but she can still be a huge force in the world, one which I'm surprised Bayaz doesn't (seem) to be taking into account.

Also, unless I'm misremembering, she's also one of the not-a-horrible-human-being characters in the book. I mean, sure she's a bloodthirsty crazy revenge-woman, but she mostly has decent reasons for it and doesn't seem to just slaughter Gurkish peasants for fun.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Ornamented Death posted:

They did, in fact, come to that conclusion, but only after murdering Logen's friend, burning down his farm, and kidnapping his children. Again, doing stuff like that and then saying "sorry bro, we changed our minds!" isn't going to save them in essentially any fantasy setting.
No for sure. Its very Abercrombie to have a couple of down-on-their-luck guys sign up for a kidnapping job out of desperation, bail when their conscience over takes them and then run into he single most dangerous man for 200 miles.

Jeffrey posted:

I'm sure most of the original POV characters will be in it, just not the focus. I doubt he'd go so far as to set it after their deaths. Surely Shivers will be redeemed one of these days(nope)!
I felt completely satisfied by the character arcs of both Logen and Shivers at the end of Red Country. I would read another book with them in it with a big grin on my face but if we never heard directly from them again, I'd give Joe a single slow nod of appreciation and look eagerly towards his next characters. After all, arguably the biggest message running through all of his books so far is 'Warriors either die young or linger on as old men haunted by the ghosts of their youth' - Logen, Shivers, Cosca and even Glamma Golden all served to highlight this perfectly and their stories ending in the same book has a beautiful symmetry to it.

cheese fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 20, 2013

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Glamma Golden's whole "I just want to see my family again" speech in Red Country was so :smith: that I nearly ran into the back of another car while listening to it.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

cheese posted:

I felt completely satisfied by the character arcs of both Logen and Shivers at the end of Red Country. I would read another book with them in it with a big grin on my face but if we never heard directly from them again, I'd give Joe a single slow nod of appreciation and look eagerly towards his next characters. After all, arguably the biggest message running through all of his books so far is 'Warriors either die young or linger on as old men haunted by the ghosts of their youth' - Logen, Shivers, Cosca and even Glamma Golden all served to highlight this perfectly and their stories ending in the same book has a beautiful symmetry to it.

I doubt we'll see Logen again, but I'm sure we'll hear rumors or other things about him. I don't think we've seen the last of Shivers, though.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Giodo! posted:

Presumably she killed one of the Winds, given what Ishri says in Heroes.

What did she say that referred to Fero? I missed it on my first read through.

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

The Puppy Bowl posted:

What did she say that referred to Fero? I missed it on my first read through.

Sorry, it was BSC. At the end she leaves with "I have to go. My brother was killed by a woman seeking vengeance."

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I love the way Ishri just keeps appearing out of nowhere and freaking everyone out.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I love the way Ishri just keeps appearing out of nowhere and freaking everyone out.

I always imagine her smirking and musing "I never get tired of that" to herself.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Giodo! posted:

Sorry, it was BSC. At the end she leaves with "I have to go. My brother was killed by a woman seeking vengeance."

I guess I just assumed this was a reference to Monza, but that actually wouldn't make any sense. Seems my brain can only handle one vengeful she-beast at a time.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

nutranurse posted:

Glamma Golden's whole "I just want to see my family again" speech in Red Country was so :smith: that I nearly ran into the back of another car while listening to it.
I love the way Abercrombie tells stories without actually telling them. If you read the end of The Heroes and then Glamma's parts in Red Country, you know a lot about what happened in the north in the years in between.

Xenix posted:

I doubt we'll see Logen again, but I'm sure we'll hear rumors or other things about him. I don't think we've seen the last of Shivers, though.
I dunno, I really felt like his arc finished.

cheese fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 22, 2013

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
If we never hear from Ferros again I won't be upset. I found her two dimensional and irritating to read about.

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I guess I just assumed this was a reference to Monza, but that actually wouldn't make any sense. Seems my brain can only handle one vengeful she-beast at a time.

Nah, she's actually talking to Monza at the time.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Neurosis posted:

If we never hear from Ferros again I won't be upset. I found her two dimensional and irritating to read about.

Well Abercrombie admitted that in his first few books his treatment of women led to them being poopy characters, but we can hope that after the stellar writing Monza and Shy got a revisted Ferro would be pretty great!

Tom Yum
May 6, 2013
So I'm about 50 pages from the end of The Blade Itself, and it's certainly been enjoyable so far with some great moments, but I can't help but feel like it's dragging a bit. I mean, I know the first book of a trilogy will necessarily have a lot of setup, but this book honestly seems to be almost nothing BUT setup. I've already ordered the next two books from Amazon so I'll certainly be finishing the trilogy, but I'm just looking for some confirmation that all this laying of groundwork gets the epic payoff it needs. Also, if I have to read one more pointless gently caress YOU PINK outburst from Ferro I'm going to start bashing my head against a wall.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah the first book is mostly setup.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Jeffrey posted:

Yeah the first book is mostly setup.
Also Ferro is a terrible, terrible character. By far the worst regular character in the entire series IMO.

Tom Yum
May 6, 2013
Just read the last two chapters of TBI, and my hopes are now much higher for the rest of the series. Goddamn the Bloody-Nine is a cold SOB.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Above Our Own posted:

Also Ferro is a terrible, terrible character. By far the worst regular character in the entire series IMO.

Goddamn, is she ever. I was a slave, and I am angry! And a completely irrational piece of poo poo!

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Neurosis posted:

Goddamn, is she ever. I was a slave, and I am angry! And a completely irrational piece of poo poo!

Meanwhile Wirrun of Bligh my favorite character to be introduced in a book got killed off, honestly I could follow that mad fucker around all day and just listen to him talk and threaten.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.
Armor is for those who plan on getting hit.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Rhymenoserous posted:

Meanwhile Wirrun of Bligh my favorite character to be introduced in a book got killed off, honestly I could follow that mad fucker around all day and just listen to him talk and threaten.

Wirrun discussing his cheese trap is easily my favorite moment from Abercrombie's whole works.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Wirrun discussing his cheese trap is easily my favorite moment from Abercrombie's whole works.

Yep. Also I was kind of hoping he'd pass the Father of Swords on to Red Beck who would be forced into adventure by the weight of a name he didn't earn and a legend that he didn't want.

EDIT: It could have been fun, he could wander through the world using almost entirely bluff to get through every adventure since he's technically a giant wuss.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
A legendary Red Beck at age forty fighting his first duel after not taking a life since The Heroes would make a cool short story.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Rhymenoserous posted:

Yep. Also I was kind of hoping he'd pass the Father of Swords on to Red Beck who would be forced into adventure by the weight of a name he didn't earn and a legend that he didn't want.

EDIT: It could have been fun, he could wander through the world using almost entirely bluff to get through every adventure since he's technically a giant wuss.

If that's a premise you find interesting, check out Flashman by George Macdonald Fraser.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

The Rat posted:

If that's a premise you find interesting, check out Flashman by George Macdonald Fraser.

Yes. Hearty endorsement of this recommendation.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Figures that someone with your user name would endorse it. Paucis carior est fides quam pecunia, eh?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Blind Melon posted:

Armor is for those who plan on getting hit.

Or for those who plan on living. The value of armour gets really underplayed in Abercrombie's books. Sometimes it feels like the stuff is made of tin, when in reality it would stop a lot of the blows mentioned in the books as going through the armour cold.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Neurosis posted:

Or for those who plan on living. The value of armour gets really underplayed in Abercrombie's books. Sometimes it feels like the stuff is made of tin, when in reality it would stop a lot of the blows mentioned in the books as going through the armour cold.
To be fair, most of the time that happens in the first trilogy, its from Logen hitting the poo poo out of things with a sword crafted by Kanedias. Or Eaters. Other times, I agree, its a little odd.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Neurosis posted:

There was that great scene in Best Served Cold where the mercenaries break into Orzo's study.

Surprise! It's full of his personal retinue of heavily-armoured bodyguards, and the mercs' all die messily.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

The Rat posted:

Figures that someone with your user name would endorse it. Paucis carior est fides quam pecunia, eh?

Ex Abercrombie thread semper aliquid novi.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Faithful Carpi was wearing armor :(

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Stupid question with spoilers for Last Argument of Kings: is "the cripple" that they keep referring to in Best Served Cold Glotka, or West? There's a few references to him wearing a mask over his face, but I don't remember Glotka having or needing that. He seemed to positively revel in his disfigurement, whereas West was dissolving into a pit of self-loathing last time we saw him in Adua.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Stupid question with spoilers for Last Argument of Kings: is "the cripple" that they keep referring to in Best Served Cold Glotka, or West? There's a few references to him wearing a mask over his face, but I don't remember Glotka having or needing that. He seemed to positively revel in his disfigurement, whereas West was dissolving into a pit of self-loathing last time we saw him in Adua.
Glokta. West is dead.