Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
What's your budget?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

:h:Cutie Pie Swag~:h:
Hey, is there a way to lock shutter speed on a 5D III? I accidentally flicked it down from 1/50 to 1/30 while in the field the other day and didn't notice for a good while, and I don't want that to happen again.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Check out this spot I just put together, shot on a raw/Magic Lantern'd 5Dmk3, graded in Resolve and edited with FCPX (the animation was AE)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2CFgzqPzvM

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
I just had Google Wave flashbacks. (Nice spot)

It's cool to see such high quality professional video from a little DSLR.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Anyone shoot with a loupe/viewfinder? Just curious, I've seen a few people shooting with them claim it creates another point of contact.
There seems to be cheap as poo poo ones on ebay, and ones that are like $200. I did a quick google search and couldn't find too much on the subject except some don't have a diopter.

1st AD posted:

Check out this spot I just put together, shot on a raw/Magic Lantern'd 5Dmk3, graded in Resolve and edited with FCPX (the animation was AE)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2CFgzqPzvM

Sweet spot. Is raw still limited to 4 seconds on the 5D Mark3? I haven't kept up with the updates.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Depends on your camera, card speed, and resolution. On a 5D3 with a 1000x CF card this means you can record 1080p until the card is full.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

1st AD posted:

Depends on your camera, card speed, and resolution. On a 5D3 with a 1000x CF card this means you can record 1080p until the card is full.

That's pretty impressive. Does the camera get hotter than normal? I've got the 5D2, so I'm waiting to see if it will damage the camera in the long run.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I really have no idea, since we just rented the mk3 body instead of using the Blackmagic Cinema Camera. It doesn't feel any hotter than normal for a DSLR, I guess.

I'm pretty sure you can get this working on your 5D2, but due to limitations on throughput you're limited to less than 1080 resolutions for continuous recording.

Workflow is a supreme bitch though, you basically can't playback anything in camera and have to convert everything to DNG before you can get it into Resolve and actually look at footage. Oh and there's no sound recording, the best you can do is have a beep played out by the camera's speaker on recording start and stop to sync with your external audio recording.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003

the_lion posted:

Anyone shoot with a loupe/viewfinder? Just curious, I've seen a few people shooting with them claim it creates another point of contact.
There seems to be cheap as poo poo ones on ebay, and ones that are like $200. I did a quick google search and couldn't find too much on the subject except some don't have a diopter.

Sweet spot. Is raw still limited to 4 seconds on the 5D Mark3? I haven't kept up with the updates.

I use the carryspeed vf3 viewfinder. Wouldn't shoot on a DSLR without it. Don't skimp and buy one of the $30 amazon ones. You will regret it.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

For the last shoot I rented both the Zacuto Z-Finder and EVF.

I used the Z-Finder once and only because we were shooting on a bus with no permits and didn't want to be in there with any extraneous accessories. The EVF was a lot more useful because it had zebras, zoom, false color, and EVF detail enhancement. Plus it runs on a single LP-E6 all day.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Ah, thanks guys for the Loupe recommendations. Might look into those, glad I didn't jump in on ebay ones while I had a few beers in me!

1st AD posted:

I really have no idea, since we just rented the mk3 body instead of using the Blackmagic Cinema Camera. It doesn't feel any hotter than normal for a DSLR, I guess.

I'm pretty sure you can get this working on your 5D2, but due to limitations on throughput you're limited to less than 1080 resolutions for continuous recording.

Workflow is a supreme bitch though, you basically can't playback anything in camera and have to convert everything to DNG before you can get it into Resolve and actually look at footage. Oh and there's no sound recording, the best you can do is have a beep played out by the camera's speaker on recording start and stop to sync with your external audio recording.

I had a quick look around, and a lot of guys are working in ultrawide formats-like you said, less than 1080.

I'll probably wait a generation or two before I upgrade to a newer camera unless the Magic Lantern guys figure something extremely amaze-balls.
Hopefully by then, someone will figure out a less painful solution than that workflow- kind of like they did with dslr footage a bit after when the 5d2 came out.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The Blackmagic Cinema Camera is now $2k and has none of those issues.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

1st AD posted:

For the last shoot I rented both the Zacuto Z-Finder and EVF.

I used the Z-Finder once and only because we were shooting on a bus with no permits and didn't want to be in there with any extraneous accessories. The EVF was a lot more useful because it had zebras, zoom, false color, and EVF detail enhancement. Plus it runs on a single LP-E6 all day.

I just rented a Zacuto EVF to use with my D800 for some outside run and gun shots and could barely use the thing. It had some kind of weird delay and jitteryness that actually made me nauseous if I used it for more than a minute or two. No idea what was going on as we were moving too fast for me to sit down with it and try different settings, but I've never encountered that sensation on cameras with built in EVFs so it took me by surprise.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I never noticed it, but I don't doubt that it's not a real quality product. The fact that the magnetic loupe/eyepiece thing kept snapping off pissed me off to no end. It's just that I'd rather have a cheap EVF than any kind of loupe or magnifier over the LCD.

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

:h:Cutie Pie Swag~:h:

Cute as heck posted:

Hey, is there a way to lock shutter speed on a 5D III? I accidentally flicked it down from 1/50 to 1/30 while in the field the other day and didn't notice for a good while, and I don't want that to happen again.

Found a solution, for anyone else having the same issue. You can swap your aperture and shutter speed dials from within the camera's settings. Then all you have to do is use the little lock lever for the back dial and you're set, no more accidentally ruining 20 minutes worth of footage!

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
I tested out the Blackbird Stabilizer pretty extensively in this real estate video. I like it way better than the merlin. See what you guys think. (no warp stabilizer whatsoever on steadicam shots)

https://vimeo.com/73221098

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Anyone used old film/manual lenses to shoot video? Recommend some good cheap lenses maybe?

I bought a Zenitar 16mm with a confirm chip that is on the way from eBay.

Edit: Lenses I own would be helpful. Canon 50mm, Sigma 105, Canon 24-105, Canon 70-300

the_lion fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Aug 30, 2013

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I have some Nikon AIS primes, but I've been phasing them out because I don't think they hold up very well when shooting in raw. For as much latitude and sharpness you get with something like a BMCC, I don't think it's worth it to use older lenses unless you spend all your time shooting into light sources and really want that crazy flaring that can happen on lenses without modern coatings.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

1st AD posted:

I have some Nikon AIS primes, but I've been phasing them out because I don't think they hold up very well when shooting in raw. For as much latitude and sharpness you get with something like a BMCC, I don't think it's worth it to use older lenses unless you spend all your time shooting into light sources and really want that crazy flaring that can happen on lenses without modern coatings.

I would personally live a BMCC but I'm more likely to get a 5dm3 (or whatever is available) by the time I upgrade. I would love to shoot enough video to justify either camera right now. I caved in and installed magic lantern, have now got the bug. Maybe after tax time, I'll get one as a 2nd body.

Doesn't shooting into the sun screw your sensor, or is that an old wive's tale?

Old lenses are a curiosity thing, I somehow landed on an alternative lens thread somewhere. I was thinking a crazy long lens might be fun to fool with, since long EF mounts are well out of my price range. Same with FF 135mm lens, I guess.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
I bought a Vivitar 70-210 f3.5 off eBay for $30 and it's really awesome. Optically it's great.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

BeavisNuke posted:

I bought a Vivitar 70-210 f3.5 off eBay for $30 and it's really awesome. Optically it's great.

I think this is one of the lenses I was looking at, do remember looking at Vivitars. Might check It out!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I've got one of those, I think mine's the Tokina built version.

http://www.robertstech.com/vivitar.htm

Check that out, there are a few different versions of the series 1 70-210. The biggest issue I have with my copy is a case of zoom creep :S

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Mr. Despair posted:

Check that out, there are a few different versions of the series 1 70-210. The biggest issue I have with my copy is a case of zoom creep :S

Ah, that's a good heads up- hadn't thought of zoom creep at all. Bring on the gaffer tape!

Vincent LaForet just wrote about some old lens converter today from his company but I suspect that he is talking about stuff well out of my price range.

http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2013/08/14/visual-buddha-digitaloptik-converter/

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

You can probably find some deals when it comes to old Angenieux zooms but yeah, it's not cheap sutff.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Mr. Despair posted:

I have a Version 4 (Cosina, "Vivitar S1" on the big moulded grip), it is the softest and hardest-to-focus lens I've ever used - I have never taken a picture with it that I was happy with. Pretty disappointing, because I had been entertaining thoughts of assembling a 3-zoom-lens kit, all Vivitar, all with that design in the one-touch grip. My 28-105mm f/2.8-3.8, $40 from right here in the Dorkroom a couple of years ago, is excellent. Zoom creep is certainly a thing with these lenses, but I mostly shoot handheld so it doesn't matter.

quote:

The less desirable versions of this lens are the ones that have "Vivitar" molded into the focus/zoom grip.
I should have listened. :sigh:

I also have a Version 1 (Kiron) in FD mount, it was too big and heavy to send with my AE-1 Around the World but is otherwise a decent lens.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot which thread I was in. Zoom creep - yeah, probably a bigger deal for video. Gaffer tape seems like a good idea.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

All great info on the manual lenses, thanks guys!

This guy just posted that you can edit Magic Lantern raw files in AE and premiere with the Ginger plugin without converting it.

Haven't tried it personally.

http://nofilmschool.com/2013/08/edit-blackmagic-magic-lantern-raw-adobe-premiere-ae-ginger-hdr/

the_lion fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Sep 1, 2013

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I dunno, I am pretty loathe to edit raw anything in the Premiere ecosystem because how the gently caress are you going to grade that? Speedgrade sucks, you can't do a proper Resolve roundtrip (that I know anyways, maybe someone has finally figured this out), and the tools available in AE and Premiere aren't very sophisticated.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

1st AD posted:

I dunno, I am pretty loathe to edit raw anything in the Premiere ecosystem because how the gently caress are you going to grade that? Speedgrade sucks, you can't do a proper Resolve roundtrip (that I know anyways, maybe someone has finally figured this out), and the tools available in AE and Premiere aren't very sophisticated.

In the article, the guy says this:

"Despite this, Vimeo user Edward Whittington has devised a rather ingenious way of “tricking” AE into importing CinemaDNG through Adobe Camera RAW after using Ginger HDR to edit in Premiere."
This is the video for it. (I haven't watched personally, but it says it's using manual re-linking...Which sounds more irritating than using the raw to dng convertor.)
https://vimeo.com/68065512

It's still $150 you don't have to spend though I guess. Might be good for people that are in a hurry.

I personally haven't used Resolve or Speedgrade yet, i've just been using Adobe Camera Raw in AE.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Jesus, people use AE to grade? I suppose it's doable but it seems like a tremendous pain in the rear end especially if you need something done fast.

There's a kludgy way of getting a Premiere export into Resolve by exporting a single movie file, putting that into a timeline and making cut points at every cut point in the video, then exporting an EDL and then throwing that + your video into Resolve.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
I've used this. It works just fine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0S2MJT9wDY

I also use colorista / looks / filmconvert inside of Premiere as well. Premiere CC can apply LUTs natively now too.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Did something get broken recently? For whatever reason Resolve takes a huge steaming dump on xmls generated from Premiere using this method - edits relink to the wrong timecodes on clips or will sometimes just straight up relink to the wrong clip.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
I used it with a raw cinemadng workflow from the BMCC a couple weeks ago and it worked 100% smoothly. There is one point where you have to select a non-intuitive kind of XML from either resolve or premiere. Follow the video very closely.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Aynone running Magic Lantern on the 5Dm2? For some reason, even though I selected 24fps in the normal canon menus, ML is recording RAW as 25fps.
I can't seem to find anything that is letting me change that inside ML.

Can't find too much info on it around the net.

1st AD posted:

Jesus, people use AE to grade? I suppose it's doable but it seems like a tremendous pain in the rear end especially if you need something done fast.

There's a kludgy way of getting a Premiere export into Resolve by exporting a single movie file, putting that into a timeline and making cut points at every cut point in the video, then exporting an EDL and then throwing that + your video into Resolve.

I guess i'm not really a professional fulltime editor or anything, so yeah it's AE for me. I see why you'd want to split the tasks into different apps though.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

BeavisNuke posted:

I used it with a raw cinemadng workflow from the BMCC a couple weeks ago and it worked 100% smoothly. There is one point where you have to select a non-intuitive kind of XML from either resolve or premiere. Follow the video very closely.

Yeah I've actually watched this video before and there must be something hosed up about my reel names or something because it is obvious that the edits are preserved exactly in Resolve, but the content of the edits just doesn't match when I scrub through in either the Conform or Color tabs in Resolve.

the_lion posted:

Aynone running Magic Lantern on the 5Dm2? For some reason, even though I selected 24fps in the normal canon menus, ML is recording RAW as 25fps.
I can't seem to find anything that is letting me change that inside ML.

You need to change the frame rate/resolution in Magic Lantern itself, because whatever they did to achieve raw recording overrides the normal Canon recording module. EDIT: specifically you'll want to go into your raw recording settings to do this

1st AD fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 1, 2013

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

the_lion posted:

I guess i'm not really a professional fulltime editor or anything, so yeah it's AE for me. I see why you'd want to split the tasks into different apps though.

I do a lot of compositing so I'm in AE a lot. Thus I use it for coloring a lot, but I hate it. I can't stand it though. I hate not having any realtime playback (ram previews don't count :colbert:). Typically I'll onelight in either RedCineX or Premiere (Premiere's "Edit Source Settings" provides some decent onelight settings.. not as much as RedCineX but it'll work). Then if I need to do any heavier grading I'll just use SA Color Finesse in AE. I'd love to have a Resolve system...we just can't afford it right now :(.

I love AE but it's just so loving slow and clunky.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Resolve software is dirt cheap and works with CUDA.

Also if you only need to deliver 1080p it's a no brainer because Resolve Lite is free and the limitations present in the free version aren't show stoppers (it only supports a single GPU though vs. multi GPU support in the full version).

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

1st AD posted:

Also if you only need to deliver 1080p it's a no brainer because Resolve Lite is free and the limitations present in the free version aren't show stoppers (it only supports a single GPU though vs. multi GPU support in the full version).

Well Goddamn. Didn't know that (and yay Cuda), thanks! Running up to work today to finish up a music video so maybe I'll try it on that.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

1st AD posted:

Man, I had no idea! Looking into free Resolve for sure. I just never looked into the alternatives, BonoMan is right. AE previewing is sometimes painful for this stuff. I just used it because I composite at the same time.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
If you are getting started with resolve this series is really good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EncFsiNoaNw

Juan Melara has some amazing tutorials as well, especially the summer blockbuster one: http://juanmelara.com.au

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

BeavisNuke posted:

If you are getting started with resolve this series is really good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EncFsiNoaNw

Juan Melara has some amazing tutorials as well, especially the summer blockbuster one: http://juanmelara.com.au

Juan Melara's tutorials own and apparently he's super cheap to hire if you need a colorist and don't mind shipping drives overseas.

• Locked thread