Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The Mangler...Jesus, what a weird movie. I saw it a few years ago at a friend's house but haven't thought about it in a while. I had no idea what it was about going into it and it was kind of disturbing.

You should read the short story it was based on (by Stephen King).

"It tried to fold her...but you can't fold a person." :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

Darko posted:

The Mangler ended with a "whoops wrong possession type" exorcism.

Holy cow, that's actually it!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

katium posted:

You should read the short story it was based on (by Stephen King).

"It tried to fold her...but you can't fold a person." :gonk:

The Mangler might be my favorite of King's pulpy short stories, that or The Lawnmower Man.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The Mangler might be my favorite of King's pulpy short stories, that or The Lawnmower Man.

The image that Lawnmower Man put into my head when I was 13 is still seared into my brain. It's a horrifying cartoonish image and I think King would love that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Speaking of Lawnmower Man, there's this sign on a street in a neighborhood close to where I live advertising The Lawnmower Man, who is a guy that does grass cutting/landscaping services. But I'm pretty sure he has no idea what he's referencing with that name :stonk:

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
As a kid who had seen trailers/commercials for the movie Lawnmower Man I was especially connfused and disturbed by reading King's short story. Apparently he sued to get his name taken off promo material for the film, which makes a lot of sense.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Speaking of Lawnmower Man, there's this sign on a street in a neighborhood close to where I live advertising The Lawnmower Man, who is a guy that does grass cutting/landscaping services. But I'm pretty sure he has no idea what he's referencing with that name :stonk:

Does he at least look like early 90's Jeff Fahey?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Lawnmower Man wasn't even a bad movie. Had nothing to do with the short story, but Fahey was pretty great as Evil Algernon.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

DeathChicken posted:

Lawnmower Man wasn't even a bad movie. Had nothing to do with the short story, but Fahey was pretty great as Evil Algernon.

I haven't read the short story, but I read the wikipedia summary of it and I have to say it doesn't sound half as interesting as the movie. I get that King would be pissed that they thought they could use the drawing power of his name and then just make up their own story, but the movie we got is pretty cool and the short story sounds like a by the numbers psycho stalks and kills someone scenario.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Basebf555 posted:

I haven't read the short story, but I read the wikipedia summary of it and I have to say it doesn't sound half as interesting as the movie. I get that King would be pissed that they thought they could use the drawing power of his name and then just make up their own story, but the movie we got is pretty cool and the short story sounds like a by the numbers psycho stalks and kills someone scenario.

The short story is about a satyr that kills a dude with a magic lawnmower. How is any of that by the numbers?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Pretty much. A Wikipedia synopsis tells you nothing!

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

LesterGroans posted:

The image that Lawnmower Man put into my head when I was 13 is still seared into my brain. It's a horrifying cartoonish image and I think King would love that.

Honestly, I can't disassociate King's Lawnmower Man character from Phil, the satyr played by Danny DeVito in Disney's Hercules. It's like the exact same character, only one's PG.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

wyoming posted:

The short story is about a satyr that kills a dude with a magic lawnmower. How is any of that by the numbers?

Haha wow, yea the wikipedia really does not even scratch the surface of the story in that case, my mistake! The synopsis says that the mysterious Lawnmower man runs around naked for a while, then as the owner of the house is about to call the cops he runs him over with a lawnmower. The End.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Pan! Pan's the boss!

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Jeff Fahey was also in Body Parts, which is actually pretty watchable. It deserved a sequel, maybe blending in a Boxing Helena thing would've been good.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I always felt The Lawnmower Man was kind of a companion story to The Milkman/Morning Deliveries for some reason.

Red_Fish
Nov 25, 2006

Volume posted:

This thought kind of crossed my mind when I was watching this. What if this had happened to a non-christian home or what if it was a demon from another religion? Is there any horror movie out there that explores that? Like some one comes in with a cross and the ghost just laughs all "Come back when you bring a statue of Vishnu!

Edit: I don't mean a demon/ghost story that focuses on other traditions and religions because that's ultimately the same story. "Our faith is the correct one and we prove it because it works against demons." Rather a story where they approach it from one view point but it turns out they're praying to the wrong god or something like that.

In The Troll Hunter the trolls can smell christians and so anyone going after them has to be an atheist. This becomes an important plot point when they are stuck in a cave full of sleeping trolls and one of the characters confesses to lying about not being a christian. Later on a muslim joins them and no one is sure whether that counts or not.

Red_Fish fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 21, 2013

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

Hulk Krogan posted:

Can't think of any demonic examples but this is pretty common in vampire movies/books. Protagonist brandishes holy water/crucifix/bible, vampire wails/appears to be harmed, and then is like just kidding that stuff doesn't actually work.

Off the top of my head I think the Fright Night remake and Salem's Lot did this, among others.

Not quite the same, but The Ring had a similar "yay we fixed it!....oh wait" twist to it.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Industrial posted:

Not quite the same, but The Ring had a similar "yay we fixed it!....oh wait" twist to it.

That's something I was wondering about. "No you weren't suppose to help her!" What's the big deal? People were already dying anyways. She was already climbing out of TV's and killing people who viewed her tapes. How did freeing her make things worse?"

Worldwide Panther
Jul 20, 2010

Go see the stars!

Volume posted:

That's something I was wondering about. "No you weren't suppose to help her!" What's the big deal? People were already dying anyways. She was already climbing out of TV's and killing people who viewed her tapes. How did freeing her make things worse?"

This is elaborated on in the sequel, which isn't worth watching. Read the novels instead!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Can you spoil it here, please?

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
If I remember right, their actions in the first Ring led to Samara being able to possess people. In The Ring Two, she tries to take over the kid's body so Naomi Watts will be her new mother. It was lame, but hey that plot led to that "I'm not your loving mommy!" line at the end, so I got some enjoyment out of it.

In the context of the first film by itself, I think the the kid was just trying to say something like, "Why in the hell did you HELP her? Didn't you know she's evil??" and not necessarily because of any particular effect.

lizardman fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 21, 2013

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Witching and Bitching is the tenth film in the Midnight Madness programme at TIFF. More horror-comedy than straight horror but it looks spectacular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_fBQ9YgllQ

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2404738/

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~

lizardman posted:

If I remember right, their actions in the first Ring led to Samara being able to possess people. In The Ring Two, she tries to take over the kid's body so Naomi Watts will be her new mother. It was lame, but hey that plot led to that "I'm not your loving mommy!" line at the end, so I got some enjoyment out of it.

In the context of the first film by itself, I think the the kid was just trying to say something like, "Why in the hell did you HELP her? Didn't you know she's evil??" and not necessarily because of any particular effect.

Wasn't that the exact same line used in Orphan?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It worked really well in The Ring because they build up to the typical Hollywood ending where finding the body and giving it peace will stop the ghost. The kid is basically saying "What'd you do all that for? She's evil, she doesn't give a poo poo that you were nice to her!"

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

cuntvalet posted:

Wasn't that the exact same line used in Orphan?

I'm Not Your loving Mommy

Way more satisfying in Orphan.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

flashy_mcflash posted:

Witching and Bitching is the tenth film in the Midnight Madness programme at TIFF. More horror-comedy than straight horror but it looks spectacular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_fBQ9YgllQ

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2404738/

Looks pretty great, but that soundtrack is the shittiest remix I've heard in quite some time.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Haha wow, yea the wikipedia really does not even scratch the surface of the story in that case, my mistake! The synopsis says that the mysterious Lawnmower man runs around naked for a while, then as the owner of the house is about to call the cops he runs him over with a lawnmower. The End.

Keep in mind the story is only 10 pages long, so the synopsis pretty much gives you the whole picture. Why I always loved his short stories, though, is because he's fantastic at hinting there's something much bigger going on, something impossible to fully understand. In 10 pages he leaves you with more questions than answers.

As a sidebar, the only King movie that ever really captured what I love about Stephen King for me is Pet Semetary.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
Speaking of possession, I finally went back to Walmart and bought the Director's Cut of The Exorcist (with commentary!) for five bucks. Mom and I watched it last night, and if we hadn't initially started with the commentary on (before Mom got bored), I would've missed the joke about Dominicans later in the movie ("It's the Dominicans, go bother them!"). The rewatch also helped me to appreciate the way the film sets up Father Merrin dying from the exorcism, but leading the viewer to predict Father Karras saving Regan and having his faith restored successfully, rather than also getting killed. It's really just a fantastic movie all around. The head spinning still scares the crap out of me, though.

gnomewife fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 22, 2013

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

It worked really well in The Ring because they build up to the typical Hollywood ending where finding the body and giving it peace will stop the ghost. The kid is basically saying "What'd you do all that for? She's evil, she doesn't give a poo poo that you were nice to her!"

The typical Hollywood ending for horror is for the evil NOT to be stopped. It's a subversion when a horror film has a completely happy ending.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
I watched the new Evil Dead, even though its really not my kind of horror. I was actually kindof bummed that the movie couldn't be read as someone's violent drug withdrawl.. I'm very wary of their ability to tie the new and old series together. Does anyone even want that to happen?

Anyone know when Resolution is getting a physical release? I may have to break down and rent it VOD.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Darko posted:

The typical Hollywood ending for horror is for the evil NOT to be stopped. It's a subversion when a horror film has a completely happy ending.

Well I suppose I was thinking of ghost stories in general, but yea I guess the current Hollywood trend in horror is that everyone is hosed and nobody comes out unscathed. But the idea that you can put a spirit to rest by finding its remains and giving them a propor burial is an old, old trope.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Well I suppose I was thinking of ghost stories in general, but yea I guess the current Hollywood trend in horror is that everyone is hosed and nobody comes out unscathed. But the idea that you can put a spirit to rest by finding its remains and giving them a propor burial is an old, old trope.

That's true. But yeah, as far as movies go, ever since Carrie (so it's not just current), the horror thing is to have a 'stinger' at the end, to the point where it's completely expected. The only movies that don't seem to do this are sci-fi/horror hybrids (Alien, The Thing, etc.).

Even movies that go through an extraordinary effort for a clean burial, ie. Nightmare on Elm Street 3, still have a stinger at the end of it.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
There's no stinger in The Thing, but evil totally wins.

Also Evil Dead is very much about drug addiction and withdrawal. Though I do love it has a hopeful ending, where evil doesn't win, I mean, poo poo gets pretty bad, but Mia beats it all at the end.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night 2 is a gem. Just totally batshit weird and entertaining. Basically, Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night 2 is to the Nightmare On Elm Street franchise as Sleepaway Camp 2: Unhappy Campers is to the Friday the 13th franchise. It's not a perfect 1-to-1 analogy, but it's pretty close, and since the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise was generally better and more creative, Prom Night 2 is probably the better movie.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

wyoming posted:

Nah, it's literally a Pyrrhic victory for Macready. If you choose not to ignore the prequel, it solidifies that interpretation of the ending as well with its plot addition (which is why people who want to believe otherwise ignore that part about the prequel).

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

wyoming posted:

Also Evil Dead is very much about drug addiction and withdrawal. Though I do love it has a hopeful ending, where evil doesn't win, I mean, poo poo gets pretty bad, but Mia beats it all at the end.

Sorry, what I meant was that it wasn't more ambiguous about it. Its pretty clear that there are evil forces at work.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Darko posted:

Nah, it's literally a Pyrrhic victory for Macready.

Unless either he or Childs is the Thing, in which case it will sleep until found.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Anyone see You're Next yet? Reviews are very high for it right now.

Also, am I crazy or was the movie originally called The Animals? I swear I saw that somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Boogie
Apr 1, 2013

Is a meat patty something or nothing?

JP Money posted:

Anyone see You're Next yet? Reviews are very high for it right now.

I'm honestly pretty shocked. Between this and The Conjuring I can't remember the last time I saw a horror movie get such a high rotten tomatoes score. Usually anything above 60% is a miracle. Might try to catch a late screening tonight, though something about Adam Wingard really annoys me. He's a horrible actor yet he constantly seems to be popping up in these kinds of movies lately. He was pretty terrible in the first V/H/S/2 segment in my opinion, as well as his ABCs of Death segment. Luckily he's not in You're Next so everything I just said is pretty useless information.