Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

crowfeathers posted:

Just some epic one sided battles :smug:

This is my all time favorate STDH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Morkyz posted:

This is my all time favorate STDH.

It's so bad and good. It's so stupid but I could imagine the guy telling the story and the whole time, the listener is just nodding politely and the troper thinks "This person thinks I'm awesome".

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"That kid... is UNREAL. :stonk:" is still the best STDH ever because it's written by someone so delusional that they think their life is an anime.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

And frames getting punched in the face as a tactical maneuver on his part.

It's a classic, no doubt, but in my opinion the yardstick fight is of the same caliber.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Everything about it is just so constructed. The whole "what did I miss?" sells it, as if it needed any more nails for the coffin.

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

CJacobs posted:

"That kid... is UNREAL. :stonk:" is still the best STDH ever because it's written by someone so delusional that they think their life is an anime.

I thought it was, "That kid... is inhuman!"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Relative to the recent talk of fedoras, there are now snapback fedoras. So, y'know, look out for the new sub-level of trendy nice guy hipsters ranting about the friend zone, but this time in snapbacks.

Clochette posted:

I thought it was, "That kid... is inhuman!"

It is, I got the quote mixed up with a real actual anime quote. Oops.

DrHerpington
Dec 20, 2012

;-*
Crossposting from the FB thread:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

First of all, no he didn't. Second of all, that's retarded. :geno:

DrHerpington
Dec 20, 2012

;-*

DrHerpington has a new favorite as of 03:35 on Aug 20, 2013

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

:golfclap: Well played.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
Then both women gave the cashier imaginary blowjobs and the entire supermarket broke out into an imaginary MST3K riff fest.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

My brother-in-law would do that. But he only drinks Diet Pepsi.

The "Did you just call me a Jew" thing, if it happened, is probably :corsair: humor (there's a scene in the old, old Woody Allen movie Play It Again, Sam where Allen's character is ranting at Tony Roberts about people saying "Jew eat yet?" to him instead of "Did you eat yet?").

I can believe everything about this one, except that the wife didn't apologize for her husband's misplaced and mystifying jokesmithery.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The "best" stdh was the kid who broke pencils in anger but needed his friend to break the really hard ones after he got pushed by a bully even though the teacher was a mile away or some bullshit I don't even loving remember but it was great.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
Don't forget "black people, thats serious."

quote:

This troper has limited empathic abilities, I mean, yeah, I can read peoples' thoughts to a certain degree and I can even drain energy from my surroundings into myself, but I can also feel peoples' physical pain. And I can read. peoples. thoughts. Think about the implications of that a bit. Now think about how I found out my last girlfriend cheated on me.

gently caress this guy.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
...Reading people's thoughts is a "limited empathic ability"?

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

quote:

Ashamedly, this troper used this trope once. It was the middle of summer, the year before I entered 9th grade (I think). Anyway, me and a friend were hanging with my crush and her friend. It was really hot and she "fountained" a water bottle (which is when you hold it up so that the water out like a waterfall into your mouth, but never actually touches your lips). After that, she gave it to me and I immediately drank from it in hopes that her lips had touched it even a little bit, whether accidentally or on purpose. Now, almost 2 years later, I still have the water bottle on a shelf above my bed.

This probably happened mostly as decribed, the STDH is that he's ashamed of it.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

oldpainless posted:

The "best" stdh was the kid who broke pencils in anger but needed his friend to break the really hard ones after he got pushed by a bully even though the teacher was a mile away or some bullshit I don't even loving remember but it was great.

Arguably, this Troper is probably the youngest of which who suffers from this Trope. This is practically the invisible label that's under the invisible Berserk Button of this 13-year old kid. He broke 33 pencils in his life, and had a good friend break two of those pencils because they were too hard. He even yelled at someone because that guy was the third person who asked if he could be punched for the third time, with a teacher only a mile ahead!

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

quote:

He even yelled at someone because that guy was the third person who asked if he could be punched for the third time, with a teacher only a mile ahead!

Has anyone ever made sense of what this guy is trying to say?

Proper Hoodidge
May 6, 2008

CJacobs posted:

First of all, no he didn't. Second of all, that's retarded. :geno:

http://www.militaryreligiousfreedom.org/legalfiles/letter.html (see attachment 1)

"Hurt Feelings Reports" have been floating around for a long time. I don't know why you find that unbelievable. Here's a high school football coach/guidance counselor who lost his job for sending it to his student players: http://k2radio.com/offensive-survey-leads-to-buffalo-head-coach-resignation/

edit: http://www.salon.com/2009/02/09/coming_home_one/

quote:

The Army says it is working hard to erase the stigma of seeking mental healthcare. It isn’t working at Fort Carson. Adam says he was actively discouraged from looking for help.

“If you have a problem, you are going to be a problem,” he explained. “You don’t ask for help — ever. That is just the Army’s way. Always will be.”

A document obtained from another unit at Fort Carson supports Adam’s description of a culture that discourages “weakness.” Someone in the 3rd Brigade Combat Team prepared a mock official form called a “Hurt Feelings Report,” and left a stack of copies near a sheet where soldiers sign out to see a doctor.

Proper Hoodidge has a new favorite as of 04:49 on Aug 20, 2013

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Morkyz posted:

It's like "he was just asking to be punched!"

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009
I don't know if this thread has just jaded me or what, but I'm not so sure about this story:

“A close family friend has an autistic boy and this was an anonymous letter slipped under her door. This is real.”

There's some media follow-up in the links. The first portion of the letter sounds plausible, like something someone would actually write, but the second part just dissolves into this weird rambling rant about who is going to marry the kid, etc. I'm just getting weird vibes from it. I guess the fallout with the woman who claimed her son was harassed in Walmart for wearing the headband has made me doubtful.

But, yeah. If they find out who did it then it'll be sth. And it is drumming up a lot of support about autism stigma, so that's good either way. But it's got that weird stilted language that stdh.txt has, so it's just hitting me as off.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Maybe their neighborhood isn't zoned for whaling.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Morkyz posted:

I always interpreted it as something like: They were on a field trip and he was toward the back of the group with the teacher way ahead at the front, and he was being so loving annoying that different people kept saying "for gently caress's sake will somebody punch that kid and shut him up?"

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

tacodaemon posted:

Arguably, this Troper is probably the youngest of which who suffers from this Trope. This is practically the invisible label that's under the invisible Berserk Button of this 13-year old kid. He broke 33 pencils in his life, and had a good friend break two of those pencils because they were too hard. He even yelled at someone because that guy was the third person who asked if he could be punched for the third time, with a teacher only a mile ahead!

I remember reading this in the troper thread and a bunch of the troper comments were either making fun of him or asking what the hell he was talking about.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

AlbieQuirky posted:

The "Did you just call me a Jew" thing, if it happened, is probably :corsair: humor (there's a scene in the old, old Woody Allen movie Play It Again, Sam where Allen's character is ranting at Tony Roberts about people saying "Jew eat yet?" to him instead of "Did you eat yet?").

Actually it's in Annie Hall
:goonsay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaPBhxXhprg

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
I don't think that letter was STDH. :( I think it's one of many cultural ramifications we will experience of the Internet creating a norm wherein anonymity equals amorality.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
We've all dealt with trolls. But how does a troper handle them?

quote:

This troper once had to deal with a troll on his site, after perma banning him, the troll responded with some rather nasty attacks, and I decided to respond with one of the greatest comebacks i have ever written
"Dear Troll
You seem to be wallowing in your own self pity so much that you believe you are a victim or hero. You are a victim like a criminal is a victim of the justice system and I’ll explain why.
1: I was receiving multiple requests to permanently ban you from the site and I attempted to ignore it. How ever I continued to receive more and more requests before I finally allowed -tropers friend- to remove you from the site. Tell me if you were doing nothing wrong why did I get multiple requests to have you permanently banned?
2: Your idea that you can shut down my site by reporting it to main HQ operates on flawed logic. What reasons do you have besides me allowing you to be permanently banned? Its my site, that means I am allowed to do what I want since my family pays to keep it running, I could permanently ban anyone without any reason if I wanted to. Also what kind of hero tries to shut down a site and ruin a lot of people’s fun just to get back at one person.
3: nearly everyone on the site dislikes you now. This should be obvious considering that the members are the ones that wanted you removed from the site not me, it was their vote, I merely gave them what they wanted.
4: You still need to work on your grammar, its best to work this out before sending me a threat. You also shouldn’t use swears, it makes you seem like an immature brat.
5: I hate people that pretend to be the good guys, they’re always stuck in their self pity and won’t realize that no one else thinks they’re the good guys and that they are much worse than they believe. I have no problems admitting I’m a complete monster that crawled out of disgusting muck from the darkest corners of this earth, how ever I won’t let my site and my friends be threatened by some one that thinks he’s a hero and deserves everything when is just as bad as me.
6: so lastly in summary of all this. You bastard (for threatening to shut down the site just to get back at me regardless of how innocent people might get hurt) and You suck (as well as your grammar, manners and everything you stand for)."

:bravo: Truly the greatest comeback ever

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Okay, now 33 pencils has a competitor for my favorite troper tale..

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

That's how :corsair: I am, I can't remember which Woody Allen/Tony Roberts rant scene comes from which movie. Alzheimer's, take me away!

Thanks.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Was there ever any follow-up with that woman who posted about her kid wearing a headband and being assaulted in a Walmart?

I remember she was committed temporarily for threatening the cops or something? But did we get any more posts or articles about her after she got out of lockup?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

DrHerpington posted:

What's unbelievable about this? Chandler is a city in the Phoenix metro area. I would totally believe this happened.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For the people confused, the manager didn't want you to feed the homeless, because he might come back and try the same trick again.

The teen quit his job, because he who gives a poo poo? It's a job at subway.

Hope this helps.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

AlbieQuirky posted:

That's how :corsair: I am, I can't remember which Woody Allen/Tony Roberts rant scene comes from which movie. Alzheimer's, take me away!

Thanks.

Ha, no problem. One of those films I've watched enough I can remember every scene.

Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof

DrHerpington posted:

What actually happened:

"I got caught giving free sandwiches to my stoner friends and got fired last week."

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

That's actually a pretty common mistake for French speakers learning English - the French word for a rare steak translates to bleeding.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

The idea of running anywhere while playing a tuba makes my spine and lungs hurt. :negative:

Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof

quote:

Big mistake, my headphones got unplugged from my Ipod touch, and my favorite song was just beginning. Nightwish's song [[CrowningMusic/Template:Nightwish she is my sin]] and so begins my epic battle

What makes this such wonderful stdh is how he manages to get in a bad-rear end soundtrack. No matter how imaginative these guys are, even the most most epic stdh will never, ever, be as cool as what happens in the movies because the movies have bad-rear end soundtracks.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Doesn't the Ipod stop playing when the headphones get unplugged? At least my Android does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Mine definitely pauses when the headphone jack is unplugged. I like to think that feature was put in specifically to stop some idiot inadvertently getting a bad-rear end soundtrack to his imaginary ruler-battle.

• Locked thread