Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

zimbomonkey posted:

Hope stephen doesn't face repercussions for spoiling the secret.

Welp, he just got them one more guy who is going to DVR the VMAs who wouldn't have otherwise. I just typed DVR the VMAs, I'm totally in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
So daft punk was a no show? Seriously how loving lame.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

PonchAxis posted:

So daft punk was a no show? Seriously how loving lame.

Apparently MTV told them they had to choose, and well, the VMAs have a slightly higher profile.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

aBagorn posted:

Apparently MTV told them they had to choose, and well, the VMAs have a slightly higher profile.

I'm going to call bullshit because MTV VMA's aren't really that important and Daft Punk are way bigger than them. Seriously MTV would have bent over backwards if they played at Colbert, you don't say no to a live Daft Punk performance.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

PonchAxis posted:

I'm going to call bullshit because MTV VMA's aren't really that important and Daft Punk are way bigger than them. Seriously MTV would have bent over backwards if they played at Colbert, you don't say no to a live Daft Punk performance.

Keep in mind that MTV and Comedy Central are both owned by Viacom so it could be as much an internal thing as is a Daft Punk decision thing. Though it does seem that Daft Punk could have done Colbert and the VMAs if they wanted to not give a gently caress.

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009

PonchAxis posted:

Except if there's a contract already signed, then what? Lawsuits? As much as I don't watch MTV the VMA's will get a ton of coverage as they do every year for some reason. I haven't had cable in over a year and even I'm not pretending to be in a bubble.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Yeah, Daft Punk or not, breaking contractual obligations is not a good idea.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

-Inu- posted:

Yeah, Daft Punk or not, breaking contractual obligations is not a good idea.
Couldn't be more wrong, dude. Daft Punk is big. Bigger than the MTV VMAs, bigger than the whole music industry, and bigger than contract law. They are Daft loving Punk. I don't know what hole you guys crawled out of but Daft Punk has been above the law for years and easily two thirds of the populace worships them as deities. Not only are Thomas, Guy-Manuel, Guy, and Manuel all in the top 100 baby names for both boys and girls, "The Daft Punk Guy With The Scrolling Text" is in the top 200. Also, not a single person I went to high school with 10 years ago watches the VMAs, so I'm pretty loving sure that's a dead-rear end scene nowadays.

UninterestedWisdom
Aug 7, 2013

het posted:

Couldn't be more wrong, dude. Daft Punk is big. Bigger than the MTV VMAs, bigger than the whole music industry, and bigger than contract law. They are Daft loving Punk. I don't know what hole you guys crawled out of but Daft Punk has been above the law for years and easily two thirds of the populace worships them as deities. Not only are Thomas, Guy-Manuel, Guy, and Manuel all in the top 100 baby names for both boys and girls, "The Daft Punk Guy With The Scrolling Text" is in the top 200. Also, not a single person I went to high school with 10 years ago watches the VMAs, so I'm pretty loving sure that's a dead-rear end scene nowadays.

It pretty much is dead. The VMAs have been so watered down and decreased so much in production over the years that it might as well be considered the music equivalent to the Kid's Choice Awards. Boring, uneventful, and nobody takes it seriously except it's target demographic which will grow up in a few years to also not care about it. Daft Punk is and probably always will be bigger than that poo poo.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Colbert's joke last night about the VMAs being the one night a year that MTV plays music was spot on and had me laughing pretty hard. It's true. Most award shows are bullshit, but that one especially.

UninterestedWisdom
Aug 7, 2013

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Colbert's joke last night about the VMAs being the one night a year that MTV plays music was spot on and had me laughing pretty hard. It's true. Most award shows are bullshit, but that one especially.

Music award shows are especially bullshit, aside from some good live performances and the rare cool moments. They are the most predictable type of shows, you just gotta look at who the target audience and what came out at the time, whether it be the Grammy's or the VMA's. I think since music is probably one of the most subjective types of entertainment and art, the whole concept of an award show based around it, is kind of ridiculous.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

UninterestedWisdom posted:

Music award shows are especially bullshit, aside from some good live performances and the rare cool moments. They are the most predictable type of shows, you just gotta look at who the target audience and what came out at the time, whether it be the Grammy's or the VMA's. I think since music is probably one of the most subjective types of entertainment and art, the whole concept of an award show based around it, is kind of ridiculous.
Maybe musical artists(with the exception of Kanye West) are less invested in the integrity of awards given out by the network that brought you Jersey Shore and more interested in the fact that the awards show gets lots of viewers, esp younger viewers.

The "MTV doesn't play music" thing is more than a little silly nowadays; why would anyone watch MTV for music videos? Youtube exists, anyone can see any video they want at any time for free with minimal ads.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I think the only real platform for music videos anymore is the internet, sites like YouTube and Vimeo and such. I don't think MTV plays any anymore, or if they do, they probably aren't any worth watching. Does Fuse even still play music videos?

Nine Inch Nails just came out with a new music video directed by David Lynch recently, which I saw on YouTube the day it was released, and it didn't seem like something that you'd see anywhere on TV. I know Sigur Ros has been putting out music videos too, and that applies to them too.

Even videos like the one for Lady Gaga's Telephone a few years ago...that was largely a YouTube success, right? I don't ever remember seeing it on TV. Then again, I tend to only watch one show on MTV nowadays (Catfish) and I never watch Fuse anymore either, so I guess I wouldn't know even if it had been aired on TV.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 7, 2013

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
MTV plays videos in the morning.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

chime_on posted:

Oh, so when no one in their target demo is watching?

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

When all the grampas are watching TV. Who are, arguably, the only ones who are disillusioned into thinking MTV still stands for music television. :v:

UninterestedWisdom
Aug 7, 2013

chime_on posted:

Because when I wake up for a nice breakfast I think
hmm...Music videos

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
At least now during MTV shows they say what the band that's playing at any given moment is.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

While I agree the VMA's as an award show is purely bullshit and no one really cares about the actual awards, it does give an opportunity for some great performances that often get talked about. This year in particular Lady Gaga is generating a lot of buzz as this will be her first performance since going on a break. Daft Punk performing at the VMA's actually sounds kind of dumb, and I hope they dont do it. RAM doesn't strike me as something that needs to be played for a television audience, even some of the dancier tunes like Get Lucky and Lose yourself to dance.

UninterestedWisdom
Aug 7, 2013

somnambulist posted:

While I agree the VMA's as an award show is purely bullshit and no one really cares about the actual awards, it does give an opportunity for some great performances that often get talked about. This year in particular Lady Gaga is generating a lot of buzz as this will be her first performance since going on a break. Daft Punk performing at the VMA's actually sounds kind of dumb, and I hope they dont do it. RAM doesn't strike me as something that needs to be played for a television audience, even some of the dancier tunes like Get Lucky and Lose yourself to dance.

Even though I'm not a big fan of the VMAs, I am rather curious what Daft Punk are gonna do, they are usually really good at putting out really solid live performances. It also makes me wonder how they are gonna do RAM live as well.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Their target demographic isn't watching the channel for music videos anyway.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

UninterestedWisdom posted:

Even though I'm not a big fan of the VMAs, I am rather curious what Daft Punk are gonna do, they are usually really good at putting out really solid live performances. It also makes me wonder how they are gonna do RAM live as well.

I hope they do Television Rules The Nation :unsmigghh:

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Has it been said if they're going to be doing a single performance, or if they're going to be "DJing" the whole thing ala deadmau5? The latter is what initially came to mind when I heard they were doing the VMAs, but I guess promoting the next single or something makes more sense.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So Daft Punk may have never intended to show up at Colbert to begin with? But then other sources say they were planning to show up but not perform or be interviewed?

The plot Thickens...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Whatever the reality, talk show, VMAs, weird-rear end album, it's clear that for better or worse (depending who you ask I suppose) this is not the Daft Punk we used to know.

On a personal level, I find it all just a bit annoying and once after RAM came out I was sad we'd probably have to wait another decade for a chance at an album I liked from DP, now I just kinda want them to go away until I don't remember any of this anymore.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Yestermoment posted:

When all the grampas are watching TV. Who are, arguably, the only ones who are disillusioned into thinking MTV still stands for music television. :v:

The average age of the musicians on Random Access Memories is somewhere around 50 years old. If you're into the grooves that grandpas play, maybe you shouldn't begrudge them their early morning music videos.

agatona
Oct 29, 2010

Here's a link to a Paul Mercurio's podcast interviewing Stephen about the Daft Punk no-show and other stuff. Pretty hilarious and informative. My take on the Daft Punk issue, it was MTV's fault. The Colbert Team and Daft Punk Team were victims.

Stephen Colbert Reveals Month-Long Headache Surrounding Daft Punk's Scheduled Appearance

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

L_E_E posted:

Here's a link to a Paul Mercurio's podcast interviewing Stephen about the Daft Punk no-show and other stuff. Pretty hilarious and informative. My take on the Daft Punk issue, it was MTV's fault. The Colbert Team and Daft Punk Team were victims.

Stephen Colbert Reveals Month-Long Headache Surrounding Daft Punk's Scheduled Appearance
Interesting stuff. Thanks for posting! Yeah, it doesn't seem like either Colbert or Daft Punk were to blame. It seems like it was more of a misunderstanding that came from higher up than anything.

Nadir
Apr 12, 2003

It's only up from here
Daft Punk's second official single: "Lose Yourself to Dance"

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/08/daft-punk-release-lose-yourself-to-dance-as-next-single-listen-to-radio-edit/

I think this wasn't a surprise to anyone. Definitely one of the more radio-friendly tracks

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I bet daft punk assembles a live band and plays lose yourself to dance at the vmas.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I rarely listen to the radio anymore, but if I ever did turn it on and heard Lose Yourself To Dance, I'd be really happy.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Nadir posted:

Daft Punk's second official single: "Lose Yourself to Dance"

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/08/daft-punk-release-lose-yourself-to-dance-as-next-single-listen-to-radio-edit/

I think this wasn't a surprise to anyone. Definitely one of the more radio-friendly tracks

I once heard it in a bar, so I guess that makes sense. I listen to SiriusXM's indie rock station, though, and they've been playing Instant Crush and Doin' It Right a lot. I guess if I were to choose I thought one of those tracks would've been the next single. Not that I'm complaining, really.

e: I guess Pharrell is really the only mainstream musical guest on the album, so the two Pharrell songs would be the ones to become singles.

facebook jihad fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 14, 2013

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
I just discovered this mash up and its perfect: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGE9WcIaafc

mogran
Jun 25, 2011
I still think the RAM remix album (THE THING BY DAFT PUNK THAT IS THEM REMIXING THESE SONGS LIKE ALIVE) will be better than the original album.

All this nonsense with Colbert and the VMAs makes me think they have lost their original concept which was to have no part of that kinda poo poo. Not necessarily something they can help at this point but still a bit sad.

Sim Gretina put out a nice mix of Doin' It Right that is to my liking in my current state.

Daft Punk - Doin' It Right (Sim Gretina Remix)

Also here's hip hop magistrate Exile having his slice of the pie with Choosey via MPC magik.

Daft Punk - Doin' It Right VS Exile ft Choosey

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

crankdatbatman posted:

e: I guess Pharrell is really the only mainstream musical guest on the album, so the two Pharrell songs would be the ones to become singles.

What other song would work as a single?

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

thathonkey posted:

What other song would work as a single?

Instant Crush, easily.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hell, Fragments Of Time might work as a single. People could mistake that one for a John Mayer song or something (with someone else on vocals, of course).

Hammsturabi
Dec 25, 2003
Law 54: If a house collapses, and the owners hamster should die, the builders hamster shall be put to death.
If "Lose Yourself to Dance" is the next single, it will reaffirm for people unfamiliar with them that Daft Punk is the alias of an R&B singer who sounds like Pharrell / that Daft Punk is Pharrell's old-school side project. All from the people who brought us Homework, Human After All, and Tron Legacy.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Hammsturabi posted:

If "Lose Yourself to Dance" is the next single, it will reaffirm for people unfamiliar with them that Daft Punk is the alias of an R&B singer who sounds like Pharrell / that Daft Punk is Pharrell's old-school side project. All from the people who brought us Homework, Human After All, and Tron Legacy.

Imagine those peoples joy when they go back and listen to Daft Punks earlier material though :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Imagine those peoples joy when they go back and listen to Daft Punks earlier material though :allears:

Hey guys lemme put on this daft punk single. Yeah, its totally on RAM.

• Locked thread