Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
I was supposed to go on a hiking trip this week, but I had to cancel it due to air quality (there's a bad forest fire nearby where I was going). I did not cancel my vacation time though, so I stayed home all week and worked on my costume. And got paid!

Did a make up test since I got my wig a while ago.

Last night I put everything on that I had. Only missing the top and the left shoulder. Still need to put finishing touches on everything, but it's all mostly made.

Framing up the left shoulder.

Closer shots of the belt and right shoulder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

Monaghan posted:

Hey I'm working on a cosplay of barnaby brooks from the anime tiger and bunny. I've finished sewing most of the clothes, but I have to get started on his hair. He has the girliest hair of all time.

I've having trouble knowing exactly how to do his hair. Any suggestions on how do it it should be good. I'm thinking of using some hair curlers and maybe a hair dryer and some hair spray?

Here is the wig you want:
http://thefivewits.net/2012/05/batman-bunny-hero-time/

I've purchased from The Five Wits before and had good results.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Reformed Tomboy posted:

I was supposed to go on a hiking trip this week, but I had to cancel it due to air quality (there's a bad forest fire nearby where I was going). I did not cancel my vacation time though, so I stayed home all week and worked on my costume. And got paid!

Did a make up test since I got my wig a while ago.

Last night I put everything on that I had. Only missing the top and the left shoulder. Still need to put finishing touches on everything, but it's all mostly made.

Framing up the left shoulder.

Closer shots of the belt and right shoulder.

Great work!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Soooo, so super sore but you guyssss

:woop: We did it! First tour had some technical difficulties but overall the suits are doing really well. So loving psyched right now.

UncleRadnor
Jul 3, 2010

McPantserton posted:

:woop: We did it! First tour had some technical difficulties but overall the suits are doing really well. So loving psyched right now.

Dayum, them marine armors are hot :swoon: Can't wait for more photos!
Did you guys stomp around the con spouting redneck military garbo in your gruffest voices?

I saw your progress shots in the few pages back and you guys made the suits with vacuuforming plastic - how many people did you have working on the project? I also noticed you had some serious workspace issues (sculpting the foam in someone's lounge room :stonk:) - where the hell did you keep the armor pieces then?!?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Thanks so much! We absolutely did. I called more people "boy" today than I usually do in a month (or ever?).

All 3 of us in the marines worked on those actual suits and Kerrigan there built her costume herself. That was my and my husband's (the marine on the far left) living room, it was not a perfect situation. :gonk: We've got a storage locker but we're going to have to clean it out a bit to fit all these in there, should be pretty exciting!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I have to say, what most impressed me is that you did articulated hands. It's one of the things I've seen lacking in many similar power-armour costumes, and something that's surprisingly straightforward to accomplish. You all look fantastic.

NorseDanceParty
Jul 18, 2013

McPantserton posted:

These are amazing! This makes me wanna look into vacu-forming.

Also I've been off forums for a while where is a good place to have the goon meet at dragoncon. I've never been before I've heard the cons going to be insane.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

Amykinz posted:

I have only one thing to say to you: REN FAIRS. (Especially if you have a costume-appropriate sense of humor)

I always wanted to Cosplay as a Stargate SG1 unit and go to a renaissance fair.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Jet Ready Go posted:

I always wanted to Cosplay as a Stargate SG1 unit and go to a renaissance fair.

It's a cute idea, but everyone there has seen it before. I've seen "ninjas", Star Trek costumes, generic time travelers, and Dr. Who. The first time is funny, but after that most people kinda see you as the guy who's trying too hard to be meta and ruining everyone else's fun.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Woohoo, we won grand prize at the GenCon contest!! There were a ton of really amazing costumes this year, especially in our bracket, so I'm extra excited and proud. So thrilled!

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
We ended up winning third place. Here is me and my wife all done up and wandering the con.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol

Throb Robinson posted:

We ended up winning third place. Here is me and my wife all done up and wandering the con.

Congrats! It looks amazing.

Dick Turpintine
Sep 26, 2012

The sexiest highwayman
I am starting on making a Lucca from Chrono Trigger costume and have a few questions:
First, what kind of material would be best to make the helmet out of? I was thinking maybe a sort of foam thing but I don't really know anything about this stuff.
Then secondly, I want to make the blue thing on her helmet light up, but am kind of lost on how to do that. Is there a good tutorial or something for utter morons on this subject?

I am also going to be helping my sister who will be everybody's favorite Tingle from LoZ. We're going to draw maps from different series (like Final Fantasy, Game of Thrones, LotR, etc.) and have a pouch full of rupees (which I am going to be making). I will post pics when I actually have a camera that works.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

Dick Turpintine posted:

I am starting on making a Lucca from Chrono Trigger costume and have a few questions:
First, what kind of material would be best to make the helmet out of? I was thinking maybe a sort of foam thing but I don't really know anything about this stuff.
Then secondly, I want to make the blue thing on her helmet light up, but am kind of lost on how to do that. Is there a good tutorial or something for utter morons on this subject?

I am also going to be helping my sister who will be everybody's favorite Tingle from LoZ. We're going to draw maps from different series (like Final Fantasy, Game of Thrones, LotR, etc.) and have a pouch full of rupees (which I am going to be making). I will post pics when I actually have a camera that works.

Try this tutorial (http://entropyhouse.com/penwiper/costumes/helmsdeep.html) to use Funfoam as a material to make your helmet out of. It's cheap, flexible, and great if you're just starting out with props. You might be able to find a green hat like that already made or craft one out of fleece(?) yourself, then attach the helmet to the hat via velcro/snaps for added security. You can scavenge the mic from a cheap headset.

As for the light, I'd find a tap light that suits your size, and hot glue that sum'bitch right onto your helmet. Tap it on, tap it off, good to go! You can typically paint tap lights with a layer of nail polish to have it be that blue color.

Looks like it could be a super-cute cosplay! Have fun!

Mucktron
Dec 21, 2005

"But I've been twelve for a very long time"
Got back from Otakon last week. This year our group decided to do the various multi-player characters from Assasins Creed.

I went as The Trickster and also made the Plague Doctor for my friend. The results were pretty awesome.

I'm really happy with the mask as I'd originally done it in paper clay and realized that it would be WAY to heavy to comfortably wear. I ended up finding a fabric blend of felt and wool, soaked it in a glue/water mix and put it over the original paper clay mold. It was much lighter and far less fragile. :dance:

leg bones
Jan 14, 2011

co-dependent villain
Here's one from this weekend. I need to weather everything more, because it's not showing up in photos.
Plans : slight pink dye to the sash, lightening of the vest, darkening of the breeches - and then dirty everything up with tea, coffee, and a light acrylic wash

(trigger discipline)

duros
Mar 24, 2007

There is no try,
only dance!
Ugh been crazy busy buttttt I wanted to post this!

(I know I still owe a write up I will work on that tomorrow at work if I have some down time :))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVNBY6M8ymc

All the electronics are now controlled via a bluetooth app made for iOS. It is basically science.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

duros posted:

Ugh been crazy busy buttttt I wanted to post this!

(I know I still owe a write up I will work on that tomorrow at work if I have some down time :))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVNBY6M8ymc

All the electronics are now controlled via a bluetooth app made for iOS. It is basically science.

Wow, this is amazing.

Take your time on that write-up and make it good. I always have a passing interest in little electronics projects like this because this is the sort of thing you can translate into other applications.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

leg bones posted:

Here's one from this weekend. I need to weather everything more, because it's not showing up in photos.

Just find a gravel road and lay the costume out on it, then drive over it a few times with your car!

(Actually don't do this, my friends who did this to weather some of their costumes are crazy people.)

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

McPantserton posted:

Third of from the bottom!

http://fashionablygeek.com/costumes/12-of-our-favorite-cosplays-from-gen-con-2013-feature/

Congrats!

duros
Mar 24, 2007

There is no try,
only dance!
Visor electronics or: how I learned to love the solder

So a few people have been asking me how/what was involved in making the crazy visor for Thomas. This will be a minor rambling on what went into it.

FULL DISCLOSER: I shamelessly stole a lot of these ideas/things from Volpin Props. I spent some time chatting with him via email about everything and was able to get a lot of knowledge (saving me a great deal of time).

If you really want to follow these internals I suggest the easiest way is to go buy:

http://www.volpinprops.com/shop/thomas-helmet-led-matrix-circuit-boards/ (5 printed circuit boards)
and
http://www.volpinprops.com/shop/thomas-helmet-subvisor-frame-led-holder/ (plastic sub visor)

Note: You can also PM me as I have a some extra circuit boards and might be willing to assemble them for you and mail you a "ready to go" kit of them.

If you are curious for pictures just look through this thread or here: http://moderngoat.com/tagged/cosplay_wip (my tumblr where I am documenting this nonsense).

The Hardware
The main visor consists of 320 red LEDs. I soldered these into five 8x8 grids where the anodes and cathodes where all soldered together into one nice chain. This will create an 8x40 grid for your visor. If you wanted to you could, in theory, add more grids and boards and continue to daisy chain them.

The circuit boards are custom made Volpin design x5. He did a really good job creating something compact and useful and so why reinvent the wheel. There is a hodge-podge of resisters and what not to make them all work but the key thing that makes it all tick is the "MAX7221CWG+-ND" LED driver.

The information about using these LED drivers with Arduio can be found here: http://playground.arduino.cc/Main/MAX72XXHardware

You get one 8x8 matrix per board which get daisy chained together. I suggest you use thin gauge wire, it will save you a ton of headache later on. I started with 18 (red) and 20 (yellow) gauge and ended up going to radio shack and buying 24 gauge instead to deal with the tight space I had to deal with.

Wiring everything up consists of just a LOT of soldering... like... a lot a lot. not only do you have to solder all the chips/resistors to the board (x5 times), but you then have to solder five of the 8x8 LED matrix grids together, solder those to the boards, and then daisy chain everything together and to an Arduino board of your choice.

If you wanna be fancy and go the iOS/bluetooth route, you need to find a BLE bluetooth 4.0 chip. I used http://www.makershed.com/BLE_Mini_Bluetooth_4_0_Interface_p/mkrbl2.htm to obviously great effect :)

I was able to get all of this running on an Arduino nano board.

The Software
Its an old family recipe ;)

If anyone has more questions just shoot.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

Amykinz posted:

It's a cute idea, but everyone there has seen it before. I've seen "ninjas", Star Trek costumes, generic time travelers, and Dr. Who. The first time is funny, but after that most people kinda see you as the guy who's trying too hard to be meta and ruining everyone else's fun.

gently caress. What about dressing like Fred Flintstone?

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

duros posted:

FULL DISCLOSER: I shamelessly stole a lot of these ideas/things from Volpin Props. I spent some time chatting with him via email about everything and was able to get a lot of knowledge (saving me a great deal of time).

What a nice loving guy. He must get metric shittons of awful emails and he still found the time to hook you up.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
Yea, everything I've heard about Volpin is that he's pretty drat awesome and helpful.

Duros, thanks for the writeup! I wish I'd known about those MAX7221 chips, because those are insanely useful.

I've been dicking around with the arduino I picked up, and have been successful in making an LED cube - I'm still waiting on parts to make the LED display. I am seriously tempted by your offer of getting those boards, but money has become an issue lately. :(

duros
Mar 24, 2007

There is no try,
only dance!
Volpin is fantastic, he sometimes takes a while to respond (I hear he gets hundreds of emails a day from people), but he is super nice when he does finally see emails :)

I basically did as much as I could on my own by reverse engineering his stuff using his threads on therpf, tested, and then his own blog along with high quality flickr images he posted. That and a lot of research on the parts and drawing out diagrams helped me solved most everything I had trouble with.

Tlacuache
Jul 3, 2007
Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head.

McPantserton posted:

I saw y'all! My husband and I got a picture and geeked out afterward. Him in particular, he's determined to figure out how to make Pacific Rim drivesuits for cons next year so we can go as Raleigh and Mako.

Here's my low-effort Gert Yorkes from GenCon:

My dinosaur got delayed in the mail so I went with the crappy little toy one.

Dick Turpintine
Sep 26, 2012

The sexiest highwayman

four lean hounds posted:

Try this tutorial (http://entropyhouse.com/penwiper/costumes/helmsdeep.html) to use Funfoam as a material to make your helmet out of. It's cheap, flexible, and great if you're just starting out with props. You might be able to find a green hat like that already made or craft one out of fleece(?) yourself, then attach the helmet to the hat via velcro/snaps for added security. You can scavenge the mic from a cheap headset.

As for the light, I'd find a tap light that suits your size, and hot glue that sum'bitch right onto your helmet. Tap it on, tap it off, good to go! You can typically paint tap lights with a layer of nail polish to have it be that blue color.

Looks like it could be a super-cute cosplay! Have fun!

Hey, thanks! Both of those suggestions are very helpful, especially the foam tutorial. Will definitely check it out. :)

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Jet Ready Go posted:

gently caress. What about dressing like Fred Flintstone?

Lol, the best thing if you want to do something different and unique, I think, is to find something that fits within the fantasy/renaissance 'genre' and humor-fy it or make it out of funny stuff. There were a few beercan knights with full plate made out of Natty Ice cans. A plague doctor is surprisingly rare. GOOD wizards are rare. Be a man-fairy or something. There are a LOT of really lovely costumes as well, make something out of good material and take time to do it.

We have a pirate festival that happens yearly and my husband wants me to make him a Sweeny Todd costume, because it fits the time and he's still "dressed as Johnny Depp".

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights
Well I finally got a photoshoot in Yukiko. Nothing spectacular creation wise but still fun.

It was a very serious shoot.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
What do yall recommend for making a dagger prop? I was gunna go for foam core and then beveling the edge of it for the blade part....

so far plans, dowel or something tubey, shape modelmagic for the end. Not sure about the circle, with a painted foamcore blade : \

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Amykinz posted:

Lol, the best thing if you want to do something different and unique, I think, is to find something that fits within the fantasy/renaissance 'genre' and humor-fy it or make it out of funny stuff.

What about Ezio from Assassins Creed?

Warheart525
Jun 22, 2008

Ab-so-lutely!
I thought I'd chime in to say that the space marine armor is absolutely amazing. You are living the dream.

In much more mundane cosplay, I've been recruited by friends going to DragonCon to be Agent Coulson for an Avengers group cosplay. This goes well with my relative lack of craftsmanship and limited funds, but the one thing I have a question about would be coloring my hair. I'd like to go from the auburn I have now to more of a flat brown; is there any easy, relatively short-term way to do this?

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol

Warheart525 posted:

I thought I'd chime in to say that the space marine armor is absolutely amazing. You are living the dream.

In much more mundane cosplay, I've been recruited by friends going to DragonCon to be Agent Coulson for an Avengers group cosplay. This goes well with my relative lack of craftsmanship and limited funds, but the one thing I have a question about would be coloring my hair. I'd like to go from the auburn I have now to more of a flat brown; is there any easy, relatively short-term way to do this?

Using a color rinse might be your best bet. They usually last for "3-5 shampoos" so it'd be a week or so with it.
http://www.sallybeauty.com/color-rinse/SBS-700318,default,pd.html

I love seeing Coluson get some love. :)

Warheart525
Jun 22, 2008

Ab-so-lutely!
Thanks! Hopefully I can do him justice.

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos

Malalol posted:

What do yall recommend for making a dagger prop? I was gunna go for foam core and then beveling the edge of it for the blade part....

so far plans, dowel or something tubey, shape modelmagic for the end. Not sure about the circle, with a painted foamcore blade : \

I love it when weapons are designed without structural integrity in mind! :doh:

You might want to try buying some thin woodboard (like masonite) and cutting it to shape, including the loop which could slip into some notches cut into a dowel. Ideally, you could find something that's smooth on both sides and forgo adding a coat of something like Bondo, which can be sanded down to a smooth surface but can be very time consuming.

FloYo
May 5, 2013
I'm new at making costumes and I need to make Iron Fist's Eye pieces:
http://www.tencentticker.com/projectrooftop/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Iron-Fist.jpg

Any suggestions as to how to go about this? What type of material should I use? I have some Super Sculpey firm at home, but it seems too fragile if I bake it.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

FloYo posted:

I'm new at making costumes and I need to make Iron Fist's Eye pieces:
http://www.tencentticker.com/projectrooftop/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Iron-Fist.jpg

Any suggestions as to how to go about this? What type of material should I use? I have some Super Sculpey firm at home, but it seems too fragile if I bake it.

Is the gold on his head meant to be fabric or metal? Do you want the eye pieces to be rigid or flexible? Hard or soft? It's hard to know how you're interpreting that illustration without further explanation

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Jet Ready Go posted:

What about Ezio from Assassins Creed?

That is one I HAVEN'T seen, and would be awesome. Depending on the fair, you might not be able to do the stabby wrist knives, (most fairs require weapons to be peace-tied), but the outfit itself would be really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!

GFBeach posted:

I love it when weapons are designed without structural integrity in mind! :doh:

You might want to try buying some thin woodboard (like masonite)

how do you cut masonite w/o any special tools? :\ especially round edges