Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof

System Metternich posted:

Doesn't the Ipod stop playing when the headphones get unplugged? At least my Android does.

Stop, you're ruining it. It was epic. EPIC. In fact, a girl noticed the iPod lying there so she picked it up and plugged it into some Bose speakers so you could really hear the bass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

FrozenVent posted:

That's actually a pretty common mistake for French speakers learning English - the French word for a rare steak translates to bleeding.

German, too, where it's "bloody".

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Marley Wants More posted:

Stop, you're ruining it. It was epic. EPIC. In fact, a girl noticed the iPod lying there so she picked it up and plugged it into some Bose speakers so you could really hear the bass.

I prefer to believe that when the music stopped our hero just sang the rest of it himself.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well, I mean, if some dumb jerk started singing Nightwish after losing their headphones I sure would be scared off, but not for the reason they probably assume.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
This troper finds it quite disappointing when the troper tales I see posted here can't stay in third person for more than a sentence.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
My favorite part of the "epic one-sided battle" STDH is the very first sentence. It's such a glorious, brain-melting run-on.

This Troper posted:

This troperrecently (A few weeks ago) got into a....little fight with his longtime nemesis, last day of (high)school, he may not be coming(droping out, my nemesis, not me) back, revenge bluh bluh merger childish things

There are so many little nuggets of hilarity! The best part is "revenge bluh bluh merger childish things". I'm assuming he meant "meager", but who really knows what the gently caress he's talking about?

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I thought it was more "I was all pumped to listen to my totally badass and not at all hilarious music, but then this guy foiled my plans. BIG mistake." *gets opera metal blue balls, hulks out*

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Can't we all just be thankful that for once it wasn't Bohemian Rhapsody?

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Well, I mean, if some dumb jerk started singing Nightwish after losing their headphones I sure would be scared off, but not for the reason they probably assume.

If this happened to me I would probably fall to my knees after being emotionally disected and say "That kid...Is inhuman."

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Ha! That stupid teacher in that lame conformist factory that purports to "educate" those kids slept through possibly the greatest, most one-liner filled, anime meter stick duel of all time! What a jerk!

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I think snippets of this were posted a while back in the thread, but this is the first time I've seen the full thing, complete with a picture of the guy who made it all up. The guy who yelled Dr. Who quotes at his table and then everyone applauded and then a girl gave him his number. (They're probably getting married in a year.)

http://strangeronbakerstreet.tumblr.com/post/46821798132/certain-doctor-who-phrases-and-how-olive-garden

He also loves Homestuck and owns a fedora. Who would have guessed?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

quote:

Lots of confused faces. Many people laughed. The few who got the reference clapped, laughed, or smiled all big like. One girl who got the reference gave me the biggest smile I’ve ever seen, later I would receive her number.

That story is seriously STDH-in-a-can.

edit:

This guy sure is something alright.

edit:

Hahahaha hah ahahahah

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 19:28 on Aug 20, 2013

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
For such a Who-geek, you'd think he could at least learn to knit and follow a pattern.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Kaizoku posted:

For such a Who-geek, you'd think he could at least learn to knit and follow a pattern.

You missed the bit where he's dressed as hid "headcanon" Doctor, not the one from the TV show. In that guy's personal canon the fourth Doctor regenerated into a horrible redditor, complete with fedora.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
lol "headconon"

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
"Because I was bored" is one of the most annoying things teenagers say, like even they know they should be ashamed of whatever weird thing they're doing so they can't fully own it.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

CJacobs posted:

This guy sure is something alright.

edit:

Hahahaha hah ahahahah

When Grandma is cooler than you, it's time to rethink things. Also, repurposing your Mom's old bathrobe will not make it into a trenchcoat.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

It's quite a long story, but I think that THIS story is quite implausible.

There's also one on Not Always Working about a girl who proves she's American by singing the Major-General's Song from Pirates of Penzance.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Serperoth posted:

Oh wow. I got to this part in the introduction and figured the writer had never gone to college:

[quote]The professor has a large calendar on the wall, and if you are going to miss class on any particular day, you have to put your name down on that date, and the reason why down next to your name.

But then after that poo poo got really dumb.

Serperoth posted:

There's also one on Not Always Working about a girl who proves she's American by singing the Major-General's Song from Pirates of Penzance.

:stare: Well don't leave us hanging.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

FrozenVent posted:

:stare: Well don't leave us hanging.

http://notalwaysworking.com/the-very-model-of-a-modern-american/31250

Here you go. Again, long story, so just linking it.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Why would singing a British song prove your American-ness?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

quote:

I am blonde-haired, blue-eyed and extremely pale. I have also just come back from Ireland after a year in college. I am in a diner. A waitress comes up to me.)

Me: “Oh hi, can I have a cheeseburger?”

Waitress: “Excuse me?”

Me: “Can I have a cheeseburger?”

Waitress: *sighs and rolls her eyes, speaking very slowly* “Right. Now, the cheeseburger comes with cheese, a to-MAY-to and LET-tice.”

Me: “Why are you talking like that?”

Waitress: “Now, it is $2.64. Now, a cent is—”

Me: “Is this the accent?!”

Waitress: “Well, if you want to come to United States, you better f***** learn the language first! Where the h*** are you from anyway?”

Me: “Virginia.”

Waitress: “As if! You sound like you’re f****** Russian. Get the h*** out of my country you commie!”

Me: “Look, I really am American; I just spent months abroad.”

(The waitress isn’t listening, and proceeds to snatch the menu from me, as well as the plates.)

Waitress: “Just get this into your head you f****** cow. We are a proud and hard-working country, and we don’t tolerate communists. So get the h*** out of here! Better yet, get out of the States, or I’ll tell my manager you spat in my face. Got that?”

(When the waitress leaves, I stand up in the center of the diner. The other people in the diner are looking at me, having seen the waitress’s behavior.)

So yeah. Never happened right there. The part about singing in the diner is just :wtc: on top of everything; I'm guessing parody.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

:psyboom: I don't even understand how the author could think that proves anything. Gilbert and Sullivan were both English, as was Major-General Stanley.
Fake edit: ^^^ Crow Jane gets it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

It is a glorious thing to be a major general annoyance to everyone around.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Serperoth posted:

I had a professor who knew it was his last semester teaching and he acted kind of bullshit sometimes. That I can sort of understand, but it's still taken up to retarded levels here with the absentee signup thing.

The whole loving reveal pushes it beyond anything that could have actually happened. This girl is going to lie about the reason she has to miss class to a professor because she's worried that her BIGGEST SECRET CRUSH will be worried about her?

Not telling people about an operation you're going to have is something you do if:
a) you are on a soap opera
b) they are 90 years old and the worrying might literally kill them
d) you are fictional

This person has never had a relationship. Possibly never had friends.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Plus, consider "Dude needs a kidney" + "Dude has a twin sister" + "Dude found a donor" = "Hey twin sis, are you giving your brother a kidney?"

I guess real life isn't like stories sometimes so you can't be 100% sure...

Also I went to a small technical college where everyone knew each others, and I don't buy for a minute the amazing Skype party. Especially from people they know from one random class at college. Writer's a high schooler.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

I am going to guess this person really did come back from studying abroad and really does like Gilbert and Sullivan. I would also believe that when they came back, they did speak with a slight accent, possibly very forced, but nobody really gave a poo poo.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Went to Ireland for a year, somehow developed a Russian accent. Served by a waitress teleported in from some soviet-fearing 1950s reality who somehow thinks you don't get cheeseburgers in Russia.

This is the perfect transcript,
of a story hypothetical

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

One time my doctor totally broke into song about how he was "the perfect model of a scientist Salarian", you guys.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

Guess which previously posted STDH got picked up by the news and GBS :v:

If you guessed "Angry letter about autistic son," congratulations!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3566136&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Uh, that wasn't actually obvious STDH, just suspected STDH; so I'll give it a pass.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

winegums posted:

Went to Ireland for a year, somehow developed a Russian accent. Served by a waitress teleported in from some soviet-fearing 1950s reality who somehow thinks you don't get cheeseburgers in Russia.

This is the perfect transcript,
of a story hypothetical

STH

"Top o' the mornin' lassie. I'll have the cornbeef and cabbage."

"Sorry, we don't have that on the menu."

"Oh, you must be confused by my accent. You see I just spent a year studying abroad in Ireland. It was a truly magical and life changing experience."

"Ok..."

stefania_r
Sep 2, 2011

gschmidl posted:

German, too, where it's "bloody".

It's "bloody" in Polish too. There is a similar STHD about steaks that made the rounds around the internet here a few years ago, presented of course as the truthest realest thing that really happened to my neighbour's son's brother in law's friend. I've first read it as an anectode in a "Top 100 Useful English Phrases" book printed in the 60's and I firmly believe it was made up in order to flesh out the concept of "false friends" words to the students. I can't remember the exact quotes but here's the distilled version:

you think you know english?THINK AGAIN posted:

Yeah u think u know English, folks? Here's what happened to my neighbour's son's brother in law's friend. He went to England with his mates, boasting about his English skills. After all the touring they got hungry so they found a nice English restaurant. Then this exchange happened.

My neighbour's son's brother in law's friend: A bloody steak, please
Waiter ~without missing a beat~: Certainly, Sir. Would you like some loving potatoes with that?

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

Serperoth posted:

The moral of this story is don't be a xenophobic twat. Not because it's wrong to act like that to immigrants but because they might actually be an AMERICAN and then won't your face be red treating them like some Russian scum.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

swampland posted:

The moral of this story is don't be a xenophobic twat. Not because it's wrong to act like that to immigrants but because they might actually be an AMERICAN and then won't your face be red treating them like some Russian scum.

If only she had sung "For he is an Englishman" from H.M.S. Pinafore in the story.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Pretty Lady Blob posted:

STH

"Top o' the mornin' lassie. I'll have the cornbeef and cabbage."

"Sorry, we don't have that on the menu."

"Oh, you must be confused by my accent. You see I just spent a year studying abroad in Ireland. It was a truly magical and life changing experience."

"Ok..."

Alternatively, waitress recognizes dipshit she went to high school with is speaking in a comically forced Irish accent for some reason and calls her on it:

Waitress: Heh nice accent, what are you-

Dipshit: Well I guess you don't like "foreigners" hmmm well guess what :burger:I'M AMERICAN:burger:

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

FrozenVent posted:

Plus, consider "Dude needs a kidney" + "Dude has a twin sister" + "Dude found a donor" = "Hey twin sis, are you giving your brother a kidney?"

And "dude needs kidney" = "dude could be up for surgery at any time" = "dude's professors are aware of this and arrangements are made with the school to accommodate medical leave"

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Hoover Dam posted:

And "dude needs kidney" = "dude could be up for surgery at any time" = "dude's professors are aware of this and arrangements are made with the school to accommodate medical leave"

Ah but see, this professor cannot be reasoned with.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

I don't even get it. Did the manager not know him? Why would the manager fire random people?

• Locked thread