Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Astounding.

Here's someone's prawnsona eating cat food with someone else's fursona.

And... I get this, but I just don't understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

crowfeathers posted:

How about this, then:

This is a real comic that people paid real money for.

You can thank an insane person named Ken Penders for most of that. The Archie thread in BSS has some decent info on him, starting here:

LateToTheParty posted:

It's not Sega causing legal problems for Archie but it is actually one of the previous writers of the Sonic comics, Ken Penders. Essentially Penders claims that he owns all the "original characters" he made for the Knuckles comics. He wanted to use those characters in a graphic novel series called the The Lara-Su Chronicles. Archie responded to this by throwing all the Echidnas besides Knuckles into another dimension.

Bringing that up gives me an excuse to post these images.

The Lara-Su Chronicles? They look like this:

Canon Fanart that he won the right to produce in a lawsuit. Yeah.

Niton has a new favorite as of 20:34 on Aug 19, 2013

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Portals posted:

Astounding.

Here's someone's prawnsona eating cat food with someone else's fursona.

That's not just any weird prawn thing, it's one of the aliens from District 9. They eat cat food and live in the slums in what is perhaps the shallowest allegory for apartheid known to man.

The cat is some guy's fursona, though. I guess the joke is that they both eat cat food?

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

crowfeathers posted:

That's not just any weird prawn thing, it's one of the aliens from District 9. They eat cat food and live in the slums in what is perhaps the shallowest allegory for apartheid known to man.

The cat is some guy's fursona, though. I guess the joke is that they both eat cat food?

I suppose I should have included the description.

quote:

Pass the can opener, please....

A commission for Lauren Rivers, featuring her character Topaz sharing lunch with Wikus..... Lauren said I could draw the drone of my choice, cause she's cool like that ;) I chose Prawnkus because I can't get enough Wikus....and neither my prawn-sona nor my mate's would likely be enjoying a cat food stash without the other ^_^ Besides, Wikus needs more love.....

So... I guess it's not really their prawnsona, it's a character from the movie, but they do have a prawnsona. And so does their significant other. :psyduck:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Portals posted:

I suppose I should have included the description.

So... I guess it's not really their prawnsona, it's a character from the movie, but they do have a prawnsona. And so does their significant other. :psyduck:

:psyduck:

Do they... eat cat food together in real life? Is that a thing? What the gently caress?

quote:

As a male who frequently lays eggs, I don't think ol' Yoshi would really have any problem with his transgendered lady-pal.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
My favorite thing about this is that prawns all look pretty much the same so a prawnsona is a prawn wearing a slightly different peice of tattered clothing.

crowfeathers posted:

The aliens in District 9 are called Prawns. :ssh:

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

It is not your comic, Sonic. It is the furries.

Zonekeeper posted:

I wouldn't call anything prior to issue 160-ish "recent". They swapped out the entire writing/art crew in 2006 and it looks a lot better.

The new crew is responsible for gems such as this:

Did all the other canon original characters get removed in this reboot?

Cheeseman
Apr 1, 2001

I'd also like to point out that this team up of Dr.Wily and Dr. Robotnik:

Turns out to be an actual tag-team in the VGCW (Video Game Championship Wrestling, thread link here) called "The Practice". And VGCW is probably itself a form of "weird fanart". But entertaining fanart nonetheless.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Putty posted:

Did all the other canon original characters get removed in this reboot?

More or less, but it isn't a reboot - everything going on is technically in the same continuity as always but the new staff cleaned house when they took over. Everything has mostly been trimmed down to characters that appear in games and the SatAM characters, and the game characters get a lot more focus than the SatAM group. The tone of the plot shifted significantly from "Furry Drama Series" to "Lighthearted Action-Adventure". As mentioned above, every single character involved in Penders' Echidna Soap Opera aside from Knuckles was tossed into a plothole and forgotten, while the rest of the 'baggage' was either killed off or sidelined. They still exist, but the plot pretty much ignores them in favor of the characters new readers actually give a poo poo about, i.e. the ones appearing in recently released games.

Non-EuclideanCat
Nov 9, 2009

Portals posted:

And... I get this, but I just don't understand.

It's a pun. A prawn from District 9 as one of the stitchpunks from 9.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Niton posted:

You can thank an insane person named Ken Penders for most of that. The Archie thread in BSS has some decent info on him, starting here:

The Lara-Su Chronicles? They look like this:

Canon Fanart that he won the right to produce in a lawsuit. Yeah.

"Red Sonic" at the end of that big ol' pile of Knuckles is what gets me.

I almost pity someone whose greatest work is unwanted formerly-official fan fiction.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Sad lions posted:

"Red Sonic" at the end of that big ol' pile of Knuckles is what gets me.

I almost pity someone whose greatest work is unwanted formerly-official fan fiction.

Don't worry, his greatest work is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quGiiAeCyjo

Everything else is just a side-job.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The fans of the Archie Sonic always seemed...a bit stranger then the fans of the game when I was younger and tried getting into the fandom. More intense, maybe? It was weird. I'm gonna blame furries.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think that was because the game was where you were a blue guy that went mega fast, and you jumped on robots and a big fat walrus man, and sometimes you drowned, and if you waited long enough the blue guy would tap his foot impatiently because you're just sitting here, seriously? This is a game about going fast.

I get the feeling that everything past the games about going fast was sort of a case of letting the lunatics run the asylum. They lost sight of what Sonic was supposed to be, which was fast.

In closing,

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Phy posted:

I get the feeling that everything past the games about going fast was sort of a case of letting the lunatics run the asylum. They lost sight of what Sonic was supposed to be, which was fast.

Literally, the point of sonic games was to show off how fast games could be with BLAST PROCESSING.

Now they're about showing off how you can build a 3d physics engine without a friction mechanic.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Cheeseman posted:

I'd also like to point out that this team up of Dr.Wily and Dr. Robotnik:

Turns out to be an actual tag-team in the VGCW (Video Game Championship Wrestling, thread link here) called "The Practice". And VGCW is probably itself a form of "weird fanart". But entertaining fanart nonetheless.

Only in VGCW does one of the plotlines involve Woody from Toy Story becoming creepier and creepier until Dracula from Castlevania transforms him into a demon.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I turn my back for five seconds, and you people are seriously discussing Sonic comics and video game wrestling. For gently caress's sake.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Allen Wren posted:

I turn my back for five seconds, and you people are seriously discussing Sonic comics and video game wrestling. For gently caress's sake.

Would you rather we be discussing bronies and weird fetishes?

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That's glorious :allears:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

crowfeathers posted:

How about this, then:

This is a real comic that people paid real money for.

Rise---TITAN TAILS! (linked for pantslessness)

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Is that... Everett True?

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
That is supposed to be Blood Meridian fanart, right? Here's some more art of Judge Holden:

That last one looks like he'd be more concerned with killing the wabbit than anything else.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Everett True Punisher would make me read comics again.

I went ahead and searched for Everett True on DA, but almost all of the results were just random True Blood crap. There was, at least, the eternal touchstone of Deviantart:

Wonky-anatomy Sonic fanart with song lyrics in the background! :allears:

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Cookie Clicker, a little browser game inspired by Candy Box. Though much smaller in scale and variety, it's simple, addicting, gameplay, combined with it's increasing absurdity have made it popular online, and resulted in loads of fanart. Here is one peice of fanart I like the most, in video form.

E: Was afraid of getting banned so I took out the DWM stuff.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Why the hell is this so addictive :psyduck:

Having played it a bit, I have to admit that video is bizarrely charming in the same sort way as the game itself. I can't get that stupid inspiring music out of my head and I'm not sure if I want to.

e: What is that music from? It's so stuck in my head oh my god

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Heresiarch posted:

Is that... Everett True?

With a Punisher shirt. It's beautiful.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

This got a chuckle out of me.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Angry Diplomat posted:

Why the hell is this so addictive :psyduck:

Having played it a bit, I have to admit that video is bizarrely charming in the same sort way as the game itself. I can't get that stupid inspiring music out of my head and I'm not sure if I want to.

Gurren Lagaan

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."

Angry Diplomat posted:

Chance taken.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Space Jam goes so well with anything.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Goldfish are the teenage valley girls of the fresh water ecosystem.

scarycave has a new favorite as of 21:12 on Aug 20, 2013

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

...Rob Liefeld?

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

scarycave posted:

Goldfish are the teenage valley girls of the fresh water ecosystem.

I've been looking for something to hang on my wall...

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Friends Are Evil posted:

...Rob Liefeld?

I guess Mallard Fillmore finally decided to do something about those Liberals.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

crowfeathers posted:

I guess Mallard Fillmore finally decided to do something about those Liberals.

Really, I was thinking more a dark and gritty Howard the Duck reboot.

"SHUT UP!

With the duck jokes"

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

People call me Pine! (Pine!)
Eastern Venus Space Police.
If there's slime, (There's slime!)
Involved in a crime, (Bad crime!)
We'll clean them up on the beat! (The beat!)

Just wait 15 seconds, he'll pop right out again. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

• Locked thread