Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
BoF 3 is just one of those games that has a huge nostalgic appeal for me. I can almost feel the dampness and smell the incredibly specific smell of my childhood home's basement. Killing slimes and eating snacks for 12 hours a day in the summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

There's an achievement for getting her last one! And 4.1% of users have it, apparently... while 2.9% have "beat the game", heh.

To be fair, her final limit is really really good and early enough that you can get it before you totally burn out on playing FFVII for the most likely minimum 2nd time in your life.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

MechaX posted:

I guess I'll see when I get to him again, but I remember Bloodbane being a massive dick.

He is! You're missing the part where if you haven't done enough damage in ten turns or so he casts heal and recovers all his lost HP. He won't if he's down to... I want to say <=20% HP where heal won't fully restore his HP. He also isn't vulnerable to the dragon slayer like every other dragon in the game. If you can beat him you can beat every other main game boss.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
The thing about end game Valkyrie Profile is that your characters are invincible, there's some accessory you can buy(although I think it might be hard mode only and is super late game) that when your hp hits 0 sets it to 1, the item has a chance to break but if you have two of them I believe it can never happen for some reason.

Because of this even the optional dungeon is a joke. I remember my entire party having at tops 100k life against the final optional boss, and it used attacks that hit all my dudes for over a million damage multiple times, but it didn't matter at all because they never died.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

goldjas posted:

The thing about end game Valkyrie Profile is that your characters are invincible, there's some accessory you can buy(although I think it might be hard mode only and is super late game) that when your hp hits 0 sets it to 1, the item has a chance to break but if you have two of them I believe it can never happen for some reason.

Because of this even the optional dungeon is a joke. I remember my entire party having at tops 100k life against the final optional boss, and it used attacks that hit all my dudes for over a million damage multiple times, but it didn't matter at all because they never died.

You can still die but the odds are weighted in your favor due to 3 things:

Guts (a skill which replicated Angel Curio)
Angel Curio (the item you mentioned)
Auto Item -> Union Plume. (If any character survives they will revive the characters who died.)
Basically in order to die with this setup, your entire team has to be so hilariously insanely unlucky that it's like winning the lottery in reverse twice over. I did the odds a while back and they're hilarious.

It really is not a hard game to break. If you want a challenge you really shouldn't use the above combination because it's frankly ridiculous.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

And then you get murdered by hamsters anyway.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Diet Lime posted:

Skyrim has been watered down dramatically compared to it's predecessors and stands as basically the Elder Scrolls Cinematic Experience, which as far as that goes it's quite good, but again character development isn't very broad and customization is fairly shallow. Combine that with totally linear plots (very little branching) and frankly I don't recommend Skyrim to the involved RPG player. A total overhaul of Oblivion achieves similar graphical satisfaction and similar combat action satisfaction while offering a much more involved character customization experience - but you've got to take the effort to build it. I recommend Oscuro's Open Oblivion.
That has to be the most blatant lie I have ever heard. Skyrim is what they wanted Oblivion to be but completely failed to produce at the time. Yeah, Skyrim is really more of an action-adventure game than a proper RPG, but Oblivion is one of the worst feature-complete and actually playable games ever made. Everything looks like rear end and is tedious as all gently caress, and that's after you've installed the five gigabytes worth of mods and overhaul packs that everybody tells you to get as a bare minimum, just to make it tolerable. Seriously, just don't.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cardiovorax posted:

That has to be the most blatant lie I have ever heard. Skyrim is what they wanted Oblivion to be but completely failed to produce at the time. Yeah, Skyrim is really more of an action-adventure game than a proper RPG, but Oblivion is one of the worst feature-complete and actually playable games ever made. Everything looks like rear end and is tedious as all gently caress, and that's after you've installed the five gigabytes worth of mods and overhaul packs that everybody tells you to get as a bare minimum, just to make it tolerable. Seriously, just don't.

Seconding this. Oblivion starts you off with a prison escape and then... What? You're free with no goddamn idea what's going on, or where you're meant to go. All you do is stumble around with an overly complex menu system in the hope of running into the main plot (not to mention the game's just dull as hell in general). Skyrim starts you off right from the beginning with some important characters from both major factions, one of the major antagonists, and a plot thread for you to follow.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Seconding this. Oblivion starts you off with a prison escape and then... What? You're free with no goddamn idea what's going on, or where you're meant to go. All you do is stumble around with an overly complex menu system in the hope of running into the main plot (not to mention the game's just dull as hell in general).
Starting out Oblivion was a different experience for me. The main plot was a single quick travel away. I didn't even have to get there on foot or by horse, all I had to do was click on the spot already on the map. And I could have probably kept on doing that, if I hadn't lost interest in the main plot and instead began goofing around and exploring nooks and crannies.

Come to think of it, I never even bothered finishing the main plot.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Daler Mehndi posted:

Starting out Oblivion was a different experience for me. The main plot was a single quick travel away. I didn't even have to get there on foot or by horse, all I had to do was click on the spot already on the map. And I could have probably kept on doing that, if I hadn't lost interest in the main plot and instead began goofing around and exploring nooks and crannies.

Come to think of it, I never even bothered finishing the main plot.
You're best off, the main plot is horrid and extremely repetitive. I liked Oblivion, I could definitely see why people don't like it, but I enjoyed what I played. Don't really have the desire to play Morrowind or Skyrim though.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Man, as someone who also liked Oblivion when it came out, Skyrim is pretty much exactly better. If you played Oblivion and liked it you really need to go check out Skyrim. I promise you will have fun. Also, it's surprisingly well suited for super short play sessions, though I spent most of my time with it in 4+ hour marathons around the time it came out.

Morrowind is the best Elder Scrolls game but it's different enough where I wouldn't just recommend it with zero qualifications just because you liked Oblivion.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I played Oblivion for almost 200 hours. During that time I went into a gate once, and never again. I think I met the important prince character or whatever but other than that I never touched the main story. It took 150 hours or so before I even went through that drat gate :v:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Renoistic posted:

I played Oblivion for almost 200 hours. During that time I went into a gate once, and never again. I think I met the important prince character or whatever but other than that I never touched the main story. It took 150 hours or so before I even went through that drat gate :v:

Pretty much the same for myself. I have never finished the main quest line.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Man, as someone who also liked Oblivion when it came out, Skyrim is pretty much exactly better. If you played Oblivion and liked it you really need to go check out Skyrim. I promise you will have fun. Also, it's surprisingly well suited for super short play sessions, though I spent most of my time with it in 4+ hour marathons around the time it came out.

Morrowind is the best Elder Scrolls game but it's different enough where I wouldn't just recommend it with zero qualifications just because you liked Oblivion.

I would recommend at least trying Morrowind if you liked Oblivion -- I think you'll probably like it a lot more or a lot less, but it's worth finding out. I, for one, absolutely loved it.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

You don't have to go through too many Oblivion gates in the Main Quest, unless you do the Allies for Bruma side quest. That one makes you go through up to seven of them. Otherwise there are only three you have to do.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Crazy how different but so similar titles have such different reactions. I didn't play more than two hours of oblivion. Simply didn't do it for me at all. But I sunk about 50 hours into Skyrim, which I consider a decent amount as a semi casual player. They're similar but are essentially different beasts I think.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I put like 20 hours into Oblivion without any mods. Then I found out about Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul and other mods and I put about 200 hours into it.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Mill Village posted:

I put like 20 hours into Oblivion without any mods. Then I found out about Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul and other mods and I put about 200 hours into it.

And then you discover Nehrim and sink 50+ more.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm about to start Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume and I've never played any of the other VP games. Anything I need to know? Or am I making a horrible mistake by starting with this one?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm about to start Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume and I've never played any of the other VP games. Anything I need to know? Or am I making a horrible mistake by starting with this one?

There is a Let's Play going on right now in that forum, so you may want to ask there for some tips as well.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really like RPGs, but most of the ones I own are action, such as Vampire: TMB and Alpha Protocol. I haven't really played many turn based RPGs since I was a kid so I'm not sure what's out there now. I gave Knights of Pen and Paper +1 a shot because it looked cute as hell. Just like A Game of Dwarves, it was a nice re-introduction to an older genre, but it felt really lacking. There wasn't really enough of anything for me and that's fine since it was just made for iPhone/Droid, but that doesn't keep me from wanting to load up on some RPGs to play.

Specifically what I'm looking for is a turn based RPG with a party system and a more in-depth combat than hit dudes and get a blanket bonus when you level up. I liked leveling abilities in KOP&P because it let me customize the characters a bit more so my thief could be the dedicated gently caress one guy up person, the mage did AoE, etc. I know that describes most JRPGs, but that's sort of my problem. I hate most JRPGs. I wouldn't mind them if I could find some with a decent story, but the only ones I ever find have a whiny femboy protagonist, his childhood friend that we all know he's going to marry at some point, an annoying 7 year old girl, an old guy with no emotions, a trench coat "badass", and a wacky best friend. I honestly wouldn't mind them if they went insane with it, like Star Ocean's Area 51 bit. Usually though, the melodrama is too annoying 20+ hours in to the game.

I know once you wade through the crap there's still a big list of good JRPG's. Still, I prefer Aragorn more than I do Cloud. Are there any western turn-based RPGs that are decent to help me slide back in to the genre, or should I just pick up some of the Japanese ones that have actual writers?

e:I know Baldur's Gate is going to be at or really close to the top of the list, but that game was pretty much the RPG from my childhood. I'd like something new to try out.

Blast of Confetti fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Aug 20, 2013

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Wizardry 8? World of Xeen?

There's tons if you're willing to play older stuff.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've got no problem with a game just because it's older. I think I saw something that looks like a Wookie in Wizardy 8 so I'll give that shot first. :v:

Blast of Confetti fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Aug 20, 2013

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

This side scrolling nature of Valyire Profile Lenneth is something to get used to. I don't love it right out of the box.

I've watched the prologue, done the intro bit, been to the restaurant with that princess bitch, and after walking out the house into town I have gently caress all idea of what I am supposed to do or where I am meant to go. Also I can't seem to initiate dialogue, and my box/manual are at home so I can't look it up until tonight. Anyone got a clue for someone stuck about 4 minutes into the game?

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
About recent turn-based RPGs, two that come to mind are Avadon: The Black Fortress and Frayed Knights: The Skull of S'makh-Daon. Though storyline- and character-wise they are very different. Avadon aims for moral ambiguity and drama, whereas Frayed Knights is more of a comedy.

Wizardry 8 is a drat good choice though.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

BadAstronaut posted:

This side scrolling nature of Valyire Profile Lenneth is something to get used to. I don't love it right out of the box.

I've watched the prologue, done the intro bit, been to the restaurant with that princess bitch, and after walking out the house into town I have gently caress all idea of what I am supposed to do or where I am meant to go. Also I can't seem to initiate dialogue, and my box/manual are at home so I can't look it up until tonight. Anyone got a clue for someone stuck about 4 minutes into the game?

If I remember right, you just need to go somewhere - anywhere - and then go back home.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

:argh: Can see I'm gonna love this game...

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
This is the only time you'll ever have to do something like that. This sequence is unique in the game.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

:swoon: Can see I'm gonna love this game...

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Now that the dust has settled, is Class of Heroes 2 worth getting? I know it's apparently not as good as the EO series but I need some sort of dungeon crawler to scratch that itch before Millennium Girl releases in October. I seem to remember people saying that there were some glaring game breaking bugs or something on release? Were those fixed?

Man I wish the PS3 wizardry had a Vita port. Dungeon Crawling is at its best on the go!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I seem to remember people saying that there were some glaring game breaking bugs or something on release? Were those fixed?

Nope. Basically, the system where you purchase recipes is hosed. Purchasing a recipe will give you a different recipe from the list. In the end, they just put them all up on their site and let people look them up there, since they still work without purchasing the recipe first.

There's a lot of wonky descriptions and typos and bits and pieces around, and I think there were some nastier bugs, but I don't remember what they were. Most of all there's the Working Designs translation, carefully pitched to be as twee as it possibly can be. Ultimately, though... it's just dull. It's the exact same Class of Heroes with a couple of new classes, except they're really not distinctive in any way. Dungeon maps are way too big and empty of unique mechanics for a system where most of the time you'll be hitting autoattack, and battles take so long to get through when you're up against clouds of fifteen enemies.

Even Unchained Blades was better than CoH2, go get that for cheap.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Stelas posted:

Nope. Basically, the system where you purchase recipes is hosed. Purchasing a recipe will give you a different recipe from the list. In the end, they just put them all up on their site and let people look them up there, since they still work without purchasing the recipe first.

There's a lot of wonky descriptions and typos and bits and pieces around, and I think there were some nastier bugs, but I don't remember what they were. Most of all there's the Working Designs translation, carefully pitched to be as twee as it possibly can be. Ultimately, though... it's just dull. It's the exact same Class of Heroes with a couple of new classes, except they're really not distinctive in any way. Dungeon maps are way too big and empty of unique mechanics for a system where most of the time you'll be hitting autoattack, and battles take so long to get through when you're up against clouds of fifteen enemies.

Even Unchained Blades was better than CoH2, go get that for cheap.

How is Unchained Blades? It looks a little anime-ish but I was looking at it and its sequel on the e-Shop and thinking about getting it. EO4 I played the demo for but wasn't grabbed by it.

Also what's the consensus on the EO1 remake? I haven't downloaded the demo yet but played the original back in the day and thought it was decent.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'll admit I don't know much about the EO1 remake, but I think I saw chatter that it incorporates alot of the mechanical changes that EO4 brought to the table

What didn't grab you about EO4 speaking of, that alone might decide on if the remake would jive with you or not.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Genpei Turtle posted:

How is Unchained Blades? It looks a little anime-ish but I was looking at it and its sequel on the e-Shop and thinking about getting it.

Honestly, it's not very good either. But it has more interesting dungeon design than Class of Heroes by a long mile, and a better skill system that's only marred by an everloving ton of grinding.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

Covenant of the Plume is a prequel to the first game, and plays pretty differently to the other games in the series. You aren't screwing yourself over by playing it first at all, just keep in mind that the other two games won't have the strategy RPG aspects.

Only real advice is that if you don't meet your sin quota per battle, the game starts throwing stronger enemies at you. So, uh. Try to get enough sin.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'll admit I don't know much about the EO1 remake, but I think I saw chatter that it incorporates alot of the mechanical changes that EO4 brought to the table

What didn't grab you about EO4 speaking of, that alone might decide on if the remake would jive with you or not.

I honestly can't put my finger on it. It was just the demo anyway. There were minor niggles, like I didn't like the presentation/ugly enemy 3D models, but I don't really care about that sort of thing in general. It just seemed...dull, I guess. Don't know how to put it. Odd since I'm a huge fan of dungeon crawlers in general, and liked the first one (the only one I played) well enough. Maybe I ought to put more time into it, though most of my 3DS time recently has been with Rune Factory 4. Which is the world's worst game for OCD completionist-type gamers like myself. :shepface:

Dec 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

So, uh. Try to get enough sin.

More specifically: aim for double what they have listed, because you get good rewards for that threshold - rewards which make doing the same in the next mission easier, and so on. Just squeaking by the amount listed doesn't get you those, which in turn makes it harder to achive next mission, and so on.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Hey, would there be any reason to play the Ryusui translation of Breath of Fire II over the original SNES English translation?

Similarly for Dragon Quest V - is the best version to play still the English translation on the DS, or would I have a better time with the SNES translation by Dejap Translations?

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Aug 21, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

BadAstronaut posted:

Hey, would there be any reason to play the Ryusui translation of Breath of Fire II over the original SNES English translation?
Aside from the fact that the original translation is barely coherent?

You can't name your characters. I know this isn't huge for most people, but I couldn't stand to play the hack for it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I played BOF 1 and 2 more than a decade ago on my GBA, and then my saves disappeared and I learned the hard way that GBA games bought on ebay, even back then, could be horrible pirate knock-offs with lovely battery saves, so while I liked the first few hours of each game, I couldn't be bothered to pick them up again after losing my saves. So, having just got BOF 3 on PSP thought it might be cool to revisit the earlier titles because RPGs.