Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GeneralZod
May 28, 2003

Kneel before Zod!
Grimey Drawer

Rello posted:

I'm mostly looking to do something in C++. I'm trying to look for some open source projects that I could do some bug fixing for, but I can't find any projects that I could work on. Anyone got some tips?
Thanks,

Have a look around the KDE project. It's about 95% C++, huge (but modular), and comprised of pretty much everything from tiny GUI utilities to web browsers & office suites. Plus, it's chock full of bugs, so there's plenty to keep someone occupied :) I'm currently having a lot of fun working on their text editor component (KatePart)'s Vim emulation mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why

Flashing Twelve posted:

Real-world data analysis, the "big data" kind of stuff, is really interesting to me as well.

Stay tuned for the launch of Data Science University( http://datasciu.com/ ), its exactly what you're looking for. Unfortunately, its a few months off of launch, at least. Coursera has a data science course, but their site is awful to navigate, and the courses always seem to have problems getting the material to the students in a timely manner.

keanu
Jul 27, 2013

Flashing Twelve posted:

American visa requirements are ridiculous and I definitely don't qualify for them. I do want to leave Perth though.
I was hired by a large American company and they're sponsoring me for a working visa. The whole process has been extremely easy so far. Of course, a lot of companies don't have the resources to interview foreign applicants or sponsor them for visas so you probably can't get a job at a hip SF/NY startup applying from Australia.

If you want to leave Perth I would say that Sydney and Melbourne are the best places to look in Australia.

Flashing Twelve posted:

[...] I'm not nearly smart enough to work there.

It's kind of daunting really, it feels like everyone else is way smarter & better at programming than me.
I've certainly felt the same way in the past. You're probably a lot smarter than you give yourself credit for, though. I think you should just apply for places and let them decide whether or not you're good enough to work there. Sure, if you don't apply you can potentially save yourself some disappointment, but you may also lose out on a huge opportunity. Self-doubt will only work against you in the long run.

If you think that startup would be a cool place to work, apply there and see what happens.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Flashing Twelve posted:

I'm not sure. Short term I'd love to work in python, because I enjoy coding in python more than any other language. Security really interests me but I've barely begun exploring it. 'Security' is a really broad classification anyway, I think I need experience before I can narrow it down. Real-world data analysis, the "big data" kind of stuff, is really interesting to me as well. The only thing I really want to avoid is getting stuck chugging out bland code for enterprise software. What I really enjoy about programming is being presented with a problem and having to figure out the most clever solution. But then again, who doesn't?

You are always going to struggle finding work like that in Australia. There is lots of scope for cool innovative stuff but Australian companies are not really known for being ahead of the curve with technology adoption so it can be a tough sell. There are big international companies here but most of their offices are sales/support, the actual development stuff happens somewhere else.

I do python contracting on the side now and then. There's lots of python web stuff about, but after a while all the web stuff tends to look the same. Ditto enterprise .NET. You'd never go hungry in either of those areas but the work is not particularly fulfilling. Maybe something kinda devops, if you can find a real devops place. The Sydney Python User Group is pretty active, you could always post your cv to the list and ask if anyone is hiring or knows anyone hiring.

Security pays well but I cant really recommend it as a career path.

There are some cool companies in very niche areas but usually they end up moving to the US (where its easier to get money and customers), and if you work at some super niche place you are poo poo out of luck if they fold or you just get sick of it after five years. Ages ago I nearly took a job writing linux drivers at a hardware company but if I ever had to move on I would've been severely limited trying to find other companies that needed such a skill set.

quote:

I am actually eligible for an EU passport. I was going to pick it up for eurotravel but I haven't considered permanently moving to the EU, I'll do some research on that. American visa requirements are ridiculous and I definitely don't qualify for them. I do want to leave Perth though.

You don't have to go forever. But when you see the sort of stuff that's around London in terms of cool companies/interesting work vs anywhere in Australia you will see why so many people make the move. I've spent a reasonable amount of time working in Europe (about 4 years on and off) to see the difference.

You should deffo get that passport and go travel round europe regardless. Because you're right at the start of your career, you could either take a job doing whatever for a few years, save up, then go on a big trip to europe and see what you find over there, or try get in at an EU/US company and do an internal transfer after a few years.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Flashing Twelve posted:

It's kind of daunting really, it feels like everyone else is way smarter & better at programming than me.

Apparently that's a common feeling, don't let it get you down! Having read more of this thread, I've seen the same sentiment expressed by people when I was thinking "Wow, this person is so much smarter than me!"

On that note, you guys really are awesome - I sincerely appreciate the helpful responses and links. I had never heard of Coursera before but I'm definitely looking into it now. If anyone else is in my situation with no presentable personal projects, my approach is going to be doing Sitting Bull's posted problems and the Project Euler problems in different languages and putting them on GitHub, because even if that's something you don't need to do have seems like it couldn't hurt to have it. I think I'll take a shot at doing a ray tracer too, since piratepilates explained it so well it seems feasible.

Some time ago in this thread there was a discussion about someone putting "Familiar with C++" on their CV and what that entailed. Obviously "Familiar with X" is going to mean something different to everyone, but in the least if languages are a toolbox it's important to know how to use the tools in them. My concern is with things like:

Cicero posted:

Not knowing what a HashMap is in Java is actually kind of a problem (since he said he only knows Java), because along with ArrayList and HashSet it's one of the most commonly used data structures in the standard library.

As soon as I saw the term HashMap on the forums I Googled it so I've at least seen the Oracle documentation, but I had no idea it was one of the most commonly used structures - so it's clearly important if you want to claim you're familiar with Java. Likewise I know other languages have important tools that my classes didn't cover; for instance frequently when C++ is mentioned people talk about Iterators which is another thing we never implemented in any of my courses (again, looking it up it's easy to understand the concept, but of course that's not the same as implementing it).

In light of that, what structures or features of each language should someone know to qualify as familiar with that language? That is, if someone put "Familiar with C#" (or etc.) on their résumé what would your expectations be for them? Cicero provided a fantastic post on the first page of important data structures and algorithms to know in general; it would be great to know the same kind of thing for more specific tools.

Edit:

Flashing Twelve posted:

I am actually eligible for an EU passport. I was going to pick it up for eurotravel but I haven't considered permanently moving to the EU, I'll do some research on that. American visa requirements are ridiculous and I definitely don't qualify for them. I do want to leave Perth though.

Not sure if it helped but a quick Google search brought up documentation about both Work Visas and employer sponsored Green cards. I'd imagine if a company wanted to bring you over enough they'd make it happen, like how things have gone for keanu. But it's really up to whether you'd want to go somewhere specific or if you'd go anywhere a job takes you. Like unixbeard said though, I do hear Europe's lovely to travel around if you get the opportunity.

CatsPajamas fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Aug 20, 2013

Flashing Twelve
Mar 20, 2007

Sitting Bull posted:

Stay tuned for the launch of Data Science University( http://datasciu.com/ ), its exactly what you're looking for. Unfortunately, its a few months off of launch, at least. Coursera has a data science course, but their site is awful to navigate, and the courses always seem to have problems getting the material to the students in a timely manner.

That is actually exactly what I'm looking for, thanks for posting that. I'll watch out for it.

unixbeard posted:

You are always going to struggle finding work like that in Australia. There is lots of scope for cool innovative stuff but Australian companies are not really known for being ahead of the curve with technology adoption so it can be a tough sell. There are big international companies here but most of their offices are sales/support, the actual development stuff happens somewhere else.

I do python contracting on the side now and then. There's lots of python web stuff about, but after a while all the web stuff tends to look the same. Ditto enterprise .NET. You'd never go hungry in either of those areas but the work is not particularly fulfilling. Maybe something kinda devops, if you can find a real devops place. The Sydney Python User Group is pretty active, you could always post your cv to the list and ask if anyone is hiring or knows anyone hiring.

Security pays well but I cant really recommend it as a career path.

There are some cool companies in very niche areas but usually they end up moving to the US (where its easier to get money and customers), and if you work at some super niche place you are poo poo out of luck if they fold or you just get sick of it after five years. Ages ago I nearly took a job writing linux drivers at a hardware company but if I ever had to move on I would've been severely limited trying to find other companies that needed such a skill set.

Yeah, that's what I've found in the research that I've done so far. It's a catch-22, there's a brain drain because the programming scene here is relatively tiny, but the scene is tiny because all the talent leaves the country.

Can you expand on the security thing? From what I've heard from people in the field, the pay is good but the jobs are rare. Is that correct?

quote:

You don't have to go forever. But when you see the sort of stuff that's around London in terms of cool companies/interesting work vs anywhere in Australia you will see why so many people make the move. I've spent a reasonable amount of time working in Europe (about 4 years on and off) to see the difference.

You should deffo get that passport and go travel round europe regardless. Because you're right at the start of your career, you could either take a job doing whatever for a few years, save up, then go on a big trip to europe and see what you find over there, or try get in at an EU/US company and do an internal transfer after a few years.

Yeah, London (and Stockholm especially) are on my radar now. It's not a serious thing for a while of course. I actually have enough money to eurowank now but I think I'd rather get started on career stuff and do the gallivanting once I have a foundation under my feet.

keanu posted:

I was hired by a large American company and they're sponsoring me for a working visa. The whole process has been extremely easy so far. Of course, a lot of companies don't have the resources to interview foreign applicants or sponsor them for visas so you probably can't get a job at a hip SF/NY startup applying from Australia.

If you want to leave Perth I would say that Sydney and Melbourne are the best places to look in Australia.

I've certainly felt the same way in the past. You're probably a lot smarter than you give yourself credit for, though. I think you should just apply for places and let them decide whether or not you're good enough to work there. Sure, if you don't apply you can potentially save yourself some disappointment, but you may also lose out on a huge opportunity. Self-doubt will only work against you in the long run.

If you think that startup would be a cool place to work, apply there and see what happens.

Impostor syndrome is definitely something I suffer from. It feels like my entire degree up to this point has been a favourable series of grading errors. I think I'll be more confident in my abilities if I've actually produced something significant outside of uni projects and oh-hey-I-can-probably-automate-this stuff. Fortunately my uni workload this semester is fuckall so I'd like to spend the time creating something novel, both to increase my skills and as a resume thing.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

shrughes posted:

"Hashmap" is a language-specific term that you shouldn't expect to know. It's a synonym for "hash table", right? I'm pretty sure that any time you see "hashmap" used in place of "hash table", you're just hearing the mouthnoise of an uneducated scrub.

Ugggh, please...

A "Hashmap" is simply a map that's implemented via a hash (table).

They are not synonyms. Wikipedia is at least misleading here, but in its defense this error is pointed out and elaborated in the Talk page of the relevant article.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

CatsPajamas posted:

In light of that, what structures or features of each language should someone know to qualify as familiar with that language? That is, if someone put "Familiar with C#" (or etc.) on their résumé what would your expectations be for them? Cicero provided a fantastic post on the first page of important data structures and algorithms to know in general; it would be great to know the same kind of thing for more specific tools.

Ithaqua did a great write-up for C# some pages back. I can share some Java questions I've been asked.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The best part of impostor syndrome is it doesn't end when you get the job you didn't think you'd get, it only gets even worse!

Yesterday was my first day on the new job. Filled out some HR paperwork and attended a HR meeting, got my laptop and set it up, then got a couple bugs assigned to me.

I feel like I am doomed to be fired -- while I have picked through the giant codebase without help and found what files are the ones I should be working in, I haven't resolved these bugs right off the bat. Despite the fact that I didn't start on it until 2 or 3 in the afternoon, it's my first day, and I don't even officially have access to the git repos yet (a coworker had to sneakernet me a clone on a thumbdrive).

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

CatsPajamas posted:

Some time ago in this thread there was a discussion about someone putting "Familiar with C++" on their CV and what that entailed.

Tempted to find that discussion back then. C and C++ are nasty for this because the language standards are (especially for C++) just such bottomless pits.

I still dream of the day that a candidate walks in that claims he is an expert in C or C++. :devil:

quote:

Likewise I know other languages have important tools that my classes didn't cover; for instance frequently when C++ is mentioned people talk about Iterators which is another thing we never implemented in any of my courses (again, looking it up it's easy to understand the concept, but of course that's not the same as implementing it).

As for Iterators: they exist in Java too. They're a pretty fundamental design pattern, though it's one of those things where you're just going to be using them a lot and maybe never end up implementing your own.

quote:

In light of that, what structures or features of each language should someone know to qualify as familiar with that language?

I hesitate a bit here because there's a psychological tendency where everyone thinks the stuff he is very familiar with is essential and the stuff he doesn't know is optional (which is why you interview with multiple people), and many people posting in this thread could use more, not less, self-confidence, but for C (and by extension C++, because you need to interface with C code a lot) we at least require knowledge of the following:

* Ability to write basic algorithms (loops, arrays, ...)
* Pointers + dynamic memory allocation
* Null terminated string manipulation

* Understand the efficiency and O() behavior of code

* Portability issues
* Understanding under-the-hood stuff: stack, heap, parameter passing, linker, dynamic libraries, vtables (C++)
* Understanding things like the memory model, thread safety and concurrency, aliasing rules

Failing the first 3 would disqualify you as "being familiar" and you would fail the interview. The 4th is pretty much required but not language specific. Understanding the last 3 is what separates the juniors from the seniors from the gurus.

Hiowf fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 20, 2013

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Ithaqua did a great write-up for C# some pages back. I can share some Java questions I've been asked.

Here's a link to my post

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Flashing Twelve posted:

it feels like everyone else is way smarter & better at programming than me.

We are way better at programming than you. How do you get better at something? You practice. And when you're working full time doing that something, you get a lot of practice. When we were at your experience level, we sucked too.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Zhentar posted:

We are way better at programming than you.

And there are tons of people way better at programming than us. Some of them are just plain smarter, but there's also a good chance that they've practiced more.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Oh and we're all frauds. We make a lot of jokes at work about who's the "expert" on any particular subject.

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market
Remember this also, only shippty programmers give a gently caress what other people (or even themselves) think of their own skills. Great programmers just get things done. Is my code the absolute best way to solve this problem? Who gives a gently caress, it works. Will my code at some point in time break? Maybe but when that happens I'll just fix it again. If someone else thinks my code is crappy, then I invite them to go in there, change my code around and make it better. Its only the lovely programmers who feel the need to waste hours worrying about whether they are "an imposter" or not.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

DAT NIGGA HOW posted:

Remember this also, only shippty programmers give a gently caress what other people (or even themselves) think of their own skills. Great programmers just get things done. Is my code the absolute best way to solve this problem? Who gives a gently caress, it works. Will my code at some point in time break? Maybe but when that happens I'll just fix it again. If someone else thinks my code is crappy, then I invite them to go in there, change my code around and make it better. Its only the lovely programmers who feel the need to waste hours worrying about whether they are "an imposter" or not.

Why are you always wrong? I care very much about what others think of the code I write, and I frequently solicit code reviews when I'm working on a solo project. Someone telling you "this method is awful, here's why it's awful, and here's how you can make it be not-awful" is how you improve. Not caring about the quality of your code or learning from others is why you'll find developers with 20 years of experience who still write SQL injection vulnerabilities.

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market

Ithaqua posted:

Why are you always wrong? I care very much about what others think of the code I write, and I frequently solicit code reviews when I'm working on a solo project. Someone telling you "this method is awful, here's why it's awful, and here's how you can make it be not-awful" is how you improve. Not caring about the quality of your code or learning from others is why you'll find developers with 20 years of experience who still write SQL injection vulnerabilities.

Imposter syndrome is what causes people to not put their code on the internet because they are afraid "real programmers" will say mean things about their code. It is also what causes people to sprinkle their code with comments that say "oh my god I am so sorry for this", and "this code probably is really crappy", etc. Imposter Syndrome is not something you should be proud of having.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

DAT NIGGA HOW posted:

Will my code at some point in time break? Maybe but when that happens I'll just fix it again.

The only thing that makes me think this isn't how!! is that he would have suggested a rewrite.

keanu
Jul 27, 2013

DAT NIGGA HOW posted:

There is such a thing as craftsmanship, you know.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

DAT NIGGA HOW posted:

The best trolls are the ones that are entirely believable.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

This thread was doing so well for a while there too.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I'd rather spend years transitioning from "dumb, lovely" to "sorta dumb, less lovely" programmer than be an accountant or business manager or something else incredibly mundane like all of my friends!

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Tres Burritos posted:

This thread was doing so well for a while there too.

You mean when half of a page was people getting the lovely prefix and postfix interview question wrong, and the other half was debating how lovely it was?

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

wolffenstein posted:

You mean when half of a page was people getting the lovely prefix and postfix interview question wrong, and the other half was debating how lovely it was?

Zhentar posted:

We are way better at programming than you.

This should be posted at the top of the first page.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Comparatively speaking, my skills at internet bullshitting have increased at a greater rate than my programming skills.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

A little late to be asking, but anyone have some decent resources for brushing up on multithreading? I'm very loosely familiar with the core concepts of it, but I've never had to deal with it for work, phone interview tomorrow will probably touch on it.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

JawnV6 posted:

Comparatively speaking, my skills at internet bullshitting have increased at a greater rate than my programming skills.

The first step to becoming a good programmer is realizing you're a bad programmer.

The next step is realizing everyone else is a bad programmer.

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why

Sab669 posted:

A little late to be asking, but anyone have some decent resources for brushing up on multithreading? I'm very loosely familiar with the core concepts of it, but I've never had to deal with it for work, phone interview tomorrow will probably touch on it.

The only way I actually understood it was to do it(assuming you've read up on it already). Grab a C compiler, or something else(I was using MikroC for embedded stuff), and just play around with spawning/cloning threads and trying to have them compete for mutex locked data. Try to see if you can get something like priority inversion to happen, then prevent it. Being able to explain that during the interview will reflect well on you, hopefully.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Sab669 posted:

Multithreading is all about synchronizing access to shared resources.

Read up on the dining philosophers problem, which should lead you down all the right paths.

ThrowawayAccount
Jul 21, 2013
I last asked about my resume here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3376083&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=138#post417656335

I listened to the feedback I got:
Old resume: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3duurus7n9bNkFlZi14aWpDems/edit?usp=sharing
New resume: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3duurus7n9beEtwUmh1X3VFVzA/edit?usp=sharing

Are there any obvious fixes, other than the date alignment/formatting, that need to be made before I start to send it out?

Also, someone mentioned adding my "test scores". The last test score I got was for the ACT. I got a 31, but I don't see why an employer would care about what I did in high school.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

ThrowawayAccount posted:

Are there any obvious fixes, other than the date alignment/formatting, that need to be made before I start to send it out?

Only had a brief look at the last one, which looks OK to me. One minor nit is that the last 2 paragraphs are essentially identical. Just state the first one and say you also wrote a verion in Javascript/RequireJS/etc that works in-browser.

I also like to think you don't need to explain what a ray tracer is.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

ThrowawayAccount posted:

I last asked about my resume here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3376083&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=138#post417656335

I listened to the feedback I got:
Old resume: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3duurus7n9bNkFlZi14aWpDems/edit?usp=sharing
New resume: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3duurus7n9beEtwUmh1X3VFVzA/edit?usp=sharing

Also, someone mentioned adding my "test scores". The last test score I got was for the ACT. I got a 31, but I don't see why an employer would care about what I did in high school.

There doesn't seem to be much consistency in your document - you're using bullet points up until your research assistant position and then you forsake them for paragraphs. Bullet points are preferred because it makes it easier to scan your resume and get an overview of what you've done. To pick nits, I don't really like that your header is right-justified, but that could just be me.

With regard to bullet points, the cleaner you can make something sound the better. It's ok to lose a little bit of detail if it makes your resume read better, so long as it's still accurate. You'll have plenty of chances to go further into detail during an interview - and it's preferable in any case. The first thing any phone interviewer will ask you is something along the lines of, "So how about you walk me through your resume?", and if you've already put full detail into your bullet points then you'll just end up reading the words right off the page to him and that's less than great, in my opinion.

Nobody cares about your ACT or SAT scores except undergrad admissions, if that answers your question.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Your name should be a way bigger heading. This is what the heading and sections section looks like on my resume.

ThrowawayAccount
Jul 21, 2013
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3duurus7n9bYkp4MFFqZDU1QW8/edit?usp=sharing

Changes:
1. Changed last two project descriptions to give a clearer explanation of how they differ, without explaining what a ray tracer is.
2. For consistency, changed to bullet-points on everything but education, which I moved to the bottom, also for consistency.
3. Bigger heading for my name.
4. Changed header font to Times New Roman to be consistent with rest of document.

I considered moving my header back to being center-justified, but so far there's been one person who said to right-justify it, and one person who doesn't really like it, so I'm not really sure what to do about it - other than leave it alone.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Flashing Twelve posted:

Yeah, that's what I've found in the research that I've done so far. It's a catch-22, there's a brain drain because the programming scene here is relatively tiny, but the scene is tiny because all the talent leaves the country.

That is part of it, but its just a lot harder to get something off the ground here vs the US/Europe. Its harder to get funding and many investors aren't tech savvy and dont really "get it", and there's not the same culture of embracing new ideas and adopting new tech. There are exceptions of course but its just harder here. I have some friends at Atlassian and they are all happy there. Google also has a dev office in Sydney, I think a lot of the maps stuff gets done there, or at least it used to be.

quote:

Can you expand on the security thing? From what I've heard from people in the field, the pay is good but the jobs are rare. Is that correct?

There are jobs but on the whole the industry sucks. You will mostly be working for very conservative companies, mainly defense or big banks which can be a pain as well. I could write a giant rant here but i'll try keep it short.

1) If you like making things (like writing cool programs), a career predicated on ripping other peoples work to shreds is probably not going to be that enjoyable in the long term.
2) Thinking about the worst possible things that can happen, day in day out, for years on end will ultimately get to you.
3) The vast majority of security issues are not due to technology, they are due to process/people. It can be very hard to bring about real change, which ultimately can be quite frustrating.
4) It's relatively rare you get to work with people super engaged with the idea of having some security guy poking through their stuff. It is great when it happens but usually you're seen as someone creating more work for people or have to be the stick in the mud that holds up projects. Or some boxed to be ticked in a process.

That's assuming you get a job that is more than running appscan on a webapp and sending the default auto generated report.

quote:

Yeah, London (and Stockholm especially) are on my radar now. It's not a serious thing for a while of course. I actually have enough money to eurowank now but I think I'd rather get started on career stuff and do the gallivanting once I have a foundation under my feet.

Stockholm is one of my favourite cities, and I have a huge boner for Sweden. London is easier due to the language thing, but I found people in Sweden pretty similar to Aussies in many ways. It's a lot easier to find work once you have a coupla years under your belt. I met plenty of people who would travel for a bit, pick up a 6 month contract somewhere then hit the road again.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

ThrowawayAccount posted:

Changes:
1. Changed last two project descriptions to give a clearer explanation of how they differ, without explaining what a ray tracer is.
2. For consistency, changed to bullet-points on everything but education, which I moved to the bottom, also for consistency.
4. Changed header font to Times New Roman to be consistent with rest of document.

I considered moving my header back to being center-justified, but so far there's been one person who said to right-justify it, and one person who doesn't really like it, so I'm not really sure what to do about it - other than leave it alone.

Well, to throw my two cents in: I think the right-justified header is ridiculous and I've never, ever seen anyone do it. I would center it. GIS'ing "resume example" doesn't turn up a single result with a right justified header.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

ThrowawayAccount posted:

Changes:

Well, with the basic formatting stuff out of the way (and this is an improvement already!), let's get to the meat of it.

Layout: Since you're fresh out of school, you don't want to put Education last. Even if you consider the section completely insubstantial, the order of your resume elements represents a ranking of importance, so putting it on the bottom sends a really confusing message in my opinion. Skills is a category that can usually afford to go last - it's a section that tends to be more important to computers than to hiring managers.

Last consistency measure: You have the locations of your GPA and your graduation date swapped around. In all of your other sections the date is on the same row as the heading for it, and that makes sense.

Content: It's mostly solid, and I think you have a pretty good skill set, but I would spend some time rewriting bits and pieces. To give you an idea, but also spare myself from doing it all for you, take this bullet:

quote:

Created a suite of tests for new product that could be run automatically on builds, as opposed to the previous, manual­-only initiation, and in a number of minutes, compared to hours for the main product’s test suite.

Could be said with, "Created an automated test suite that reduced our build testing time from hours to minutes". Giving accurate metrics is a big plus too - so if you know exactly how long it took before, and how long it takes now, you could just say, "improved our build tests time by X%" and it looks more authoritative. So I would take a look at some of your wording, and really just try to focus on the essence of what you're trying to say. If it turns out that doing so condenses your resume too much and you have blank spaces, then I'm sure you can think of more bullet points for some of your projects.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Hey guys, I have successfully passed the first interview for a job as a C# developer at a software company. It went pretty well, and now I have a test they want me to take. If I can pass the test, then I get another interview with (I think) the department heads. I have impostor syndrome pretty bad, since I graduated back in may with most of my experience in java and have been at an internship trying to get a train wreck of a project off of github working since. I feel like I can talk the talk, but am not nearly so sure about putting it down on paper in any legitimate fashion.

What are the questions usually like about linked lists and algorithms? Are they along the lines of "Write a linked list" or more "Here is a linked list and you need to make sure it doesn't loop back around on itself even though the only data in it is non-unique integers"? Again I can say well, add a bool to the node so it can easily be verified as new, but coding that in eh...

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why
It doesn't matter what the values in the list are. http://ostermiller.org/find_loop_singly_linked_list.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycle_detection

edit: my sol'n was incorrect, I blame having just woken from a nap

no_funeral fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

HondaCivet posted:

Will companies pay to relocate someone for an entry-level job though? I assumed they only do that for the tougher-to-fill senior spots.

my last company did, once or twice. it was just a straight cash thing like "here's 3k" not a thing where we hired movers.