Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

BotchedLobotomy posted:

What sort of options do I have for expanding my memory on the nexus 7? does an OTG dongle work okay? that's really my only complaint is the lack of an SD slot. :(
I actually originally wanted a memopad7 or a nook HD+ but this thread seems to be stomping the memopad and wary of the nook.
Can the memopad hd7 play 720p mkv? what about the Nook HD+? 1080p?

I'm upgrading from a gen1 nook color so pretty much anything is an insane improvement but I dont want to hamstring myself with something that's too weak to do the things I want, but also dont need a rocketship either. I dont really play games on my tablets, just reading, some movies and web browsing. :)

EDIT: just realized that's a shitload of questions. sorry!
Content: Nook Color was the best tablet ever all the haters can deal with it. :allears:

OTG dongle works well for things like watching movies off a thumb drive, but I believe it's read-only, at least using the Stickmount app, so you won't be able to store anything on it from the tablet.

I had hoped the Memopad HD7 would be basically a Nexus 7 + MicroSD, but it sounds like it's not quite up to the quality standards. I'm surprised to see it getting the same scorn that was reserved only for poo poo like no-name tablets that cost $50 on black friday and Anal Elves.

Edit: I was wrong about read-only. See reply bellow.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sackmo
Oct 13, 2004

BeastOfExmoor posted:

OTG dongle works well for things like watching movies off a thumb drive, but I believe it's read-only, at least using the Stickmount app, so you won't be able to store anything on it from the tablet.

That's a big negative, unless you're talking about some sort of un-rooted method. I rooted my new N7 and just got my OTG cable last night and I was able to copy stuff to the thumb drive fine. This is with stickmount.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I had hoped the Memopad HD7 would be basically a Nexus 7 + MicroSD, but it sounds like it's not quite up to the quality standards. I'm surprised to see it getting the same scorn that was reserved only for poo poo like no-name tablets that cost $50 on black friday and Anal Elves.

Pretty much everywhere else seems to have great feedback on it, I've only seen negative feedback in this thread about it actually. v:shobon:v

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011
Newegg has a 10% off coupon if you use their "new" v.me nonsense: VME10BTS.

It drops the 16GB to $207, which is pretty good since the ebay listing sold out.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Sackmo posted:

That's a big negative, unless you're talking about some sort of un-rooted method. I rooted my new N7 and just got my OTG cable last night and I was able to copy stuff to the thumb drive fine. This is with stickmount.

Ok, I double checked and it looks like I was wrong. I think my issue was that I was using a NTFS drive and stock android only had read support for NTFS. The Stickmount page in the play store has a link to the NTFS-3G driver and instructions to make it write. I just tested it and it worked fine for me. Sorry for the misinformation.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

o muerte posted:

There are already builds posted in the new n7 forum over at xda developers.

Edit: google for "nexus 7 2013" or "nexus 7 flo" and paranoid android.

Thanks. I didn't want to go dredging through xda as its quite involved, but that seals the deal whenever I've had enough of the old nexus.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Is there such a thing as an android 10 inch tablet with a 1920x1080(or similar/higher) resolution that uses something like the S-Pen yet that is worth buying? I got a nexus 10 and I like it but my one gripe about it is in order to take notes on it I have to carry a keyboard which is kind of defeating the purpose.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 17, 2013

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
A quick google yielded this: http://store.sony.com/p/Sony-Xperia-Tablet-Stylus/en/p/STM934015ZBLK.

I have no idea how useable it is though. As for the tablet itself, it has a "Full HD Reality display". But it starts at 500 bux for the 16gb version so there's that.

Savage Cracker fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 17, 2013

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011
16GB/32GB Nexus 7 (2012) are $140/$180 at Staples with coupons. However, this deal ends Sunday, August 18, so think it over quickly. It makes me wonder how many 2012 Nexus 7 Staples has left, since it's been running promotions on them almost every other week. In my opinion, I wouldn't get them. Coupons are already rolling out on the Nexus 7 (2013), dropping the price to ~$200.

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Pretty much everywhere else seems to have great feedback on it, I've only seen negative feedback in this thread about it actually. v:shobon:v
This forum is very pro-Nexus, so it's not a surprise. I mean, look at people's response to the Hisense Sero Pro 7, even though it got decent reviews at the time. Anandtech even liked the MemoPad. However, most of the favorable reviews for both the Sero and MemoPad were due to their lower price points. With the 2012 Nexus 7 being discounted so heavily and the 2013 Nexus 7 being so much better than anything else on the market and dropping in price, it's nearly impossible to recommend anything else.

Allaniis fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 18, 2013

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
As someone who is somewhat new to tablets, if I were to get a Nexus 7 fhd would it be most wise to go for the 32gb variant? How quickly is it likely to fill up? I have a nice usb hard drive I hope I can connect to it for storage but I have no idea how much space apps will take.

e: i am a horrible person and meant to put this in the recommend thread.

Setset fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 18, 2013

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-Google...=item4ac8485f28

Manufacturer refurbished 2012 N7 32gb for $140 wtf.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Ninkobei posted:

As someone who is somewhat new to tablets, if I were to get a Nexus 7 fhd would it be most wise to go for the 32gb variant? How quickly is it likely to fill up? I have a nice usb hard drive I hope I can connect to it for storage but I have no idea how much space apps will take.

e: i am a horrible person and meant to put this in the recommend thread.

Ahhh you're fine. Really, it's very easy to move files on and off the device, so that large drive size is best for content like music or video files if you need a sizeable amount on there at one time.

Apps are usually small (think 1-30mb), and the OS only takes up 330mb give or take. Up to you!

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
If you game they can take upwards of 1 GB of space. It's also like $50 for double the storage and it helps keep the device viable for longer. There's not a great reason to settle for the 16.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

It certainly depends on what you're using it for, but I really wish I had the 32gb 2012 model. 16gb doesn't even give you room to load a couple HD movies on the thing along with the normal app load. I fell like I'm constantly loading up the disk space utility to try to figure out what's using all my space.

I wouldn't be able to justify the $50 premium though and would wait for a sale to make it more manageable.

Edit: Unless something changed with the new model you'll need a powered USB hub to power that drive, FYI. Nexus doesn't put out enough juice to spin a HD up.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Aug 19, 2013

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Any UK goons want to sell a 2012 N7?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cakefool posted:

Any UK goons want to sell a 2012 N7?
It's unlikely right now since the 2013 isn't actually out yet.

I might have a 16GB going but most likely I'll end up giving it to my sister or something. I'll also be waiting for the 3G model which doesn't look like it'll be out immediately.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
So I got one of those Nexus 7s, and I'd like to use it to do the occasional sketch when I'm bored. Has anyone managed to put together a decent, small-pointed pressure-sensitive pen for use with it? I don't really care if it's bluetooth, weird audio clicks, or some kind of proprietary voodoo magic, but I'd love to be able to control sensitivity, if possible.

Failing that, what's the best fine-point stylus right now?

sweeptheleg5
Jan 12, 2013
Doesnt help you at all, but I wish more people would by the note 8. Its so awesome and light, and has a pretty drat nice sensitivity on its stylus. Plus multi window modes so you can have some reference up why you draw if your like me. Developer community is small though.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

sweeptheleg5 posted:

Doesnt help you at all, but I wish more people would by the note 8. Its so awesome and light, and has a pretty drat nice sensitivity on its stylus. Plus multi window modes so you can have some reference up why you draw if your like me. Developer community is small though.

I was just looking at this today for my wife. She's expressed interest in a tablet, and she likes to draw. I tested it out, and it's pretty easy to sketch and draw on it seems.

There's a new line coming out in two weeks though, so I'll be waiting for that.

Edit: Or is it a new line of the smaller Note phones? I'm confused I guess.

Ravendas fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Aug 20, 2013

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Ravendas posted:

Nobody knows. The Note tablets are all old tech, though, so it wouldn't be a stretch to say they're going to see an update.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Ravendas posted:

I was just looking at this today for my wife. She's expressed interest in a tablet, and she likes to draw. I tested it out, and it's pretty easy to sketch and draw on it seems.

There's a new line coming out in two weeks though, so I'll be waiting for that.

They'll introduce a 7" Galaxy Note tablet and an 8" Galaxy Note phone.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

RVProfootballer posted:

They'll introduce a 7" Galaxy Note tablet and an 8" Galaxy Note phone.

This is a plausible scenario considering the vendor.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

fondue posted:

This is a plausible scenario considering the vendor.

The international Note 8" already has functional phone hardware and an earpiece.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I bought a 2013 Nexus 7 last week and I'm a little disappointed by the touch screen issues. Does a factory reset really solve this? It's really annoying when typing passwords as I can't see what I just typed and when the touchscreen screws up when I try to tap and hold, I have no idea what I just did. The issues are totally weird. In multi touch tester, my right hand seems to be fine but my left and causes jitters. Index and middle is fine, thumb and index causes crazy jitters. I really love this tablet but it's worthless with this touchscreen.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Cojawfee posted:

I bought a 2013 Nexus 7 last week and I'm a little disappointed by the touch screen issues. Does a factory reset really solve this? It's really annoying when typing passwords as I can't see what I just typed and when the touchscreen screws up when I try to tap and hold, I have no idea what I just did. The issues are totally weird. In multi touch tester, my right hand seems to be fine but my left and causes jitters. Index and middle is fine, thumb and index causes crazy jitters. I really love this tablet but it's worthless with this touchscreen.
Mine started to do this. I called Nexus support and they had me clear the cache (in recovery) and it's worked fine since.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Some claim its a grounding issue but Google and ASUS know of it. They're trying to see what's wrong but it looks like it's software based and not grounding.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Mine started to do this. I called Nexus support and they had me clear the cache (in recovery) and it's worked fine since.

This looks like it solved the problem somewhat.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
My N7 had a hardware issue with the touchscreen (at least I think it was hardware) where one portion of the screen was really erratic when sliding my finger around. When you enabled "show touches" it was really obvious something was wrong. I exchanged it, and the new one has been working pretty much perfectly, except for a few issues where the screen doesn't respond once in a while, but I believe that is the software issue you all are talking about. I would just make sure your defect isn't on the hardware side.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Nexus 7 FHD cases are still limited but I bought a Poetic case with a keyboard. I got it today and it's pretty cool. I feel like I have the worlds smallest laptop now. The keyboard feels pretty good and the case quality seems alright but we'll see how it holds up. It was only $15 so if it sucks it doesn't kill my wallet.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I really want to buy a portenza case. I just ordered some motorola bluetooth keyboard that had good reviews.

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

Cojawfee posted:

I really want to buy a portenza case. I just ordered some motorola bluetooth keyboard that had good reviews.

Now two days into my Portenza book case and I love it. When I upgrade my Kindle next I'm definitely getting another one.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
What's the easiest way to update from 4.2.2 to 4.3 on my 2012 Nexus 7? For some reason the system update menu says it's up to date, and the update was in my notification bar last week, but now it's not. Also, will I have to re-root/SU after updating?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Schmoli posted:

Now two days into my Portenza book case and I love it. When I upgrade my Kindle next I'm definitely getting another one.

Which one do you have? I'm thinking about just getting the simple hardback one because it's cheapest and looks cool. I don't really understand how this 3M coating holds the N7 on the case.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

AlexDeGruven posted:

The international Note 8" already has functional phone hardware and an earpiece.

Yep, I'm in Taiwan, that's what I got my wife. 3g version of the Samsung Note 8.0. Has a slot for the sim card, and can be held to your head like a phone. Except it's the size of a tablet.

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe
I gave my N7 to my mom when I got my N10. I bought the N7 like 2 or 3 weeks before the N10 was announced last year. Anyways the N7 won't change anymore. Tried different chargers, cords, etc. Even bought a brand new official N7 charger set from Google but it won't charge. So I presume its a hardware problem, most likely with the charging port since it feels very loose when a cord is inserted, which means I'd have to send it to ASUS. Any idea how much they would charge to fix it?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

BarkingSquirrel posted:

I gave my N7 to my mom when I got my N10. I bought the N7 like 2 or 3 weeks before the N10 was announced last year. Anyways the N7 won't change anymore. Tried different chargers, cords, etc. Even bought a brand new official N7 charger set from Google but it won't charge. So I presume its a hardware problem, most likely with the charging port since it feels very loose when a cord is inserted, which means I'd have to send it to ASUS. Any idea how much they would charge to fix it?

Have you left it plugged in overnight? The OG N7 didn't like to be completely discharged.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BarkingSquirrel posted:

Leave it charging for like eight hours. Lots of people have had this problem, it'll come back to life after a while, just have to leave it on charge.

If not, you should be well within the warranty period so Asus (or Google if you bought it from them) will replace it for free.

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

Cojawfee posted:

Which one do you have? I'm thinking about just getting the simple hardback one because it's cheapest and looks cool. I don't really understand how this 3M coating holds the N7 on the case.

Oh my bad, Yeah I have the simple HardBack one as well and love it.. the 3M poo poo seems to work really well. I upgraded to the "IntelliStand" thing so it works as a stand when I fly or put it on the desk as well. The way that works is there is one really big 3M sticky crap for always-connected, and 3 small sticky dots so you can easily pop it out to the 'stand' mode.

Schmoli fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 22, 2013

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Schmoli posted:

Oh my bad, Yeah I have the simple HardBack one as well and love it.. the 3M poo poo seems to work really well. I upgraded to the "IntelliStand" thing so it works as a stand when I fly or put it on the desk as well. The way that works is there is one really big 3M sticky crap for always-connected, and 3 small sticky dots so you can easily pop it out to the 'stand' mode.

Cool, I just ordered one. Also, imageshack blocks this site due to some age old conflict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

Cojawfee posted:

Cool, I just ordered one. Also, imageshack blocks this site due to some age old conflict.

Yeah forgot about that, fixed it.