Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Hietala posted:

What a twist~

What happens if Baam wins though, does he win himself?

Well, Beta implied that it would bind him to whoever won, so my expectation if he won is that someone from Fug would use it on him; presumably one of his Fug appointed teammates. What he does from here on will be interesting; does he reveal himself? Spill Fugs plan publicly? Threaten to off himself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!

Mo_Steel posted:

Well, Beta implied that it would bind him to whoever won, so my expectation if he won is that someone from Fug would use it on him; presumably one of his Fug appointed teammates. What he does from here on will be interesting; does he reveal himself? Spill Fugs plan publicly? Threaten to off himself?

They're really quite puzzling. They couldn't make him their enemy faster if they tried. Honestly, if it were anyone but Baam, there would probably already be FUG casualties on account of their ham-fistedness, and they went from having him in the hands of a sympathetic FUG mentor to betting their anti-Zahard trump on this bullshit in one 'brilliant' move. If they wanted to do something like this, they should have just had a Slayer beat the poo poo out of him and force it on him. As it is, he can basically just call in all their bluffs and walk out until the tournament is over, leaving them holding their collective dick. They obviously have no intention of treating him with any respect, so he has no reason to think that doing what they say will protect his friends.

(It might not occur to him, but he could get Wing Tree's attention pretty quick if he wanted to).

The actual course of action will probably be for him and/or his friends to win the tournament and use the awarding of the prize as a chance to out FUG's involvement as a huge "gently caress you" to all involved (that would probably mean a lot of people being executed on the spot; as a participant, Baam can't be harmed as part of the laws that empower Zahard, but the tournament organizers have no such protection). Teamwork and bold gambits are this comic's style, and I'm sure the payoff will be amazing.

Edit: Also, their plan is probably for that Barghav guy to win. They're probably betting on him being able to beat Baam. So there will be a climactic showdown!

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 19, 2013

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

As far as Wing Tree goes, he already HAS their attention I think. There's probably no better way to get it than to impress Urek Mazino like Baam did at the end of the Flower of Zygaena arc.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
Maybe she's talking about the bet that Baam's old "new team" made with his FUG team - that whichever team wins gets to climb with him.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
My guess is it's impossible to guess correctly. The most amazing part of tower of god is the level of scheming and how complicated everything gets.
Now there are a lot of broke gamblers. Can they even recruit teams or are they eliminated? Maybe they auction people one by one and once the money runs out they take turns picking. Whatever the case, Koon's got a lot of scheming to do."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This is one of those series that seems like it will probably never end. The scale of the plot is just so massive. I don't know if they've stated it outright, but it also seems like people in the world of Tower of God live at least hundreds of years or are immortal or something. They've talked about decades as being a short amount of time to travel up X floors.

Are there any other Korean web-comics that are as good as this and Magician?

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Ytlaya posted:

This is one of those series that seems like it will probably never end. The scale of the plot is just so massive. I don't know if they've stated it outright, but it also seems like people in the world of Tower of God live at least hundreds of years or are immortal or something. They've talked about decades as being a short amount of time to travel up X floors.

I enjoyed Trace quite a bit, and that one's completed. Noblesse is ongoing, and while it's entertaining on a weekly basis, I wouldn't say it's as good as ToG or Magician. Anyhoo, check out the Manhwa thread. They may have better suggestions.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Well... Not really, no. However! The Breaker is solid, and its sequel New Waves has picked up recently. I really like God of High School for its fight scenes.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Safe and Secure! posted:

Maybe she's talking about the bet that Baam's old "new team" made with his FUG team - that whichever team wins gets to climb with him.

That's what I thought at first, but at the beginning of the chapter Beta said that they're working on some kind of technology to bind a living weapon to someone or something like that. I mean, it's technically true, but it's not as simple as just picking which team he's going to be on.

To be honest, I don't think this is as stupid as some people are saying. Nothing has really changed from before; FUG still has his friends as hostages, after all. And we all know how unreliable that is, so it's not a big surprise that FUG is looking for another way to control him. Really, the apparent risk would be that he'd meet up with his old team. But we saw how that turned out, and it doesn't seem to be something that FUG would worry about.

Of course, it's not clear how Baam is going to react to this, but it's not like anyone expected Beta to escape.

Also, I'm hoping Devil Bon won the wager, he didn't look freaked out like everyone else

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!

Ytlaya posted:

While ToG is my favorite comic, Special Martial Arts Extreme Hell Private High School holds a very special place in my heart.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ytlaya posted:

Seems like the heads of each Family and Zahard are the only truly immortal people, but the normal lifespan of a person who has mastered shinsoo is absurdly long anyway(tens of thousands of years) so it doesn't make much of a difference. The only exceptions are Hendo Lok Blodmadder's(one of the 10 heads) descendants since he made a deal with a guardian to gain immortality, and that made his descendants have short lives(~100 years).

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
These are all shouneny ongoing webcomics, and look to remain unfinished long after I've grown out of reading them, unfortunately:

Tower of God
Magician
Noblesse (chapter 300ish)
Lessa (60ish)
Kubera (150ish)
Soul Cartel (80ish)
City of Dead Sorcerer (50ish)
God of Highschool (120ish)
Special extreme ...... Highschool (25ish)

That's all I remember off the top of my head. Look at translators egscans, mngacow, thcmpny, and vendetta scans.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Ytlaya posted:

Annarasumanara is a really good web-comic. The way the dude uses the format and lays things out is just beautiful.

OneDeadman fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 20, 2013

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

OneDeadman posted:

Annarasumanara is a really good web-comic. The way the dude uses the format and lays things out is just beautiful.

This is a minor thing about something that happens in the ending, but I like the author managed to weave Na Il-Deung's visual gag into an actual character development. I love when stories do stuff like that.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
Aug 25th: http://mngacow.com/tower-of-god/S02-77/

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

All I can say is yesssss.

zerosix
Jun 22, 2012
The part with traveler made me chuckle, poor guy.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Holy poo poo, now we're cooking :supaburn:

Also, Emile gets around.

The Holy Queef
Jul 13, 2003
No, it is not gross, in fact, it's funny, yeah, think of it that way.
What now they're changing Koon to Khun?????? Gimme a break.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

http://mngacow.com/tower-of-god/S02-78/

Tower of God: E/N Edition

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I am going to be so disappointed if next week Rak doesn't follow through.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

I don't even

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

I'm guessing Androssi will be the first to chat up Viole? Or at least I think that was her eyes? Though I can't wait for more Rak.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

PFlats posted:

I don't even

Got to keep an eye on everybody in the room man.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

PFlats posted:

I don't even

Devil Bon is the best. :allears:

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
What is going on, why is this chapter only on a site that gives me nothing but "Database Error"
e: oh, here too, at least: http://www.mangareader.net/tower-of-god/158

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

http://mngacow.com/tower-of-god/S02-79/

:suspense:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!
Aaah, so that's what Emile meant by the prize being Viole. Bandage-dude was tipping him off that the prize comes with bonus mind-control. That makes more sense than Viole somehow being awarded to the winner. Viole wins because he's in a class above anyone else, but the real winner is FUG, which gets full control of Viole.

And now Viole has a ready-made heist team. Things are looking good for the rest of the chapter.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

No poo poo. Really can't wait to see how this turns out.

Rak, Viole, Androssi, and Hellion. This should be fun.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Yeah that's a fun lineup, glad we've got some direction for Viole finally. He's just kinda been drifting in this arc.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Yeah that's a fun lineup, glad we've got some direction for Viole finally. He's just kinda been drifting in this arc.

He looks amazing in that suit, too. :allears:

Good scans are out, by the way.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I love Raks attempt to lie.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
New Chapter is out.

Definitely not crocodile tears. Rak's the best.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Was that a foot?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!
The first half is so cute all around.

And then ominous, but the more overtly FUG acts, the less chance they stand. It's not like you can just kill teams with regulars like Androssi using E rank personelle. I always assumed the threat was to slaughter Baam's friends with rankers, not this clownshow.

It's bad when FUG's plan is worse than I assumed, since I don't exactly give them a lot of credit in the first place.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Viole is finally doing something :unsmith:. I don't even care if the ending of the chapter was supposed to be ominous or whatever. It's taken far too long for him to finally just leave this fug bullshit behind.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
Wowowow, what a chapter.

Hodgepodge posted:

... It's not like you can just kill teams with regulars like Androssi using E rank personelle. I always assumed the threat was to slaughter Baam's friends with rankers, not this clownshow...

I don't know, on page 27 Raflejo's shadow really reminds me of Poken, Karaka's servant, so they may have the big guns around after all. But then there's also people around like Lero-Ro with the Wing Tree, so I wouldn't count on the safety of any Regulars, even high ranked ones.

Edit: And now that Androssi knows what's going on, she could probably even get Zahard forces involved.

Hirethor fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 15, 2013

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!
I doubt Androssi would, because of the danger to Viole.

Bringing in rankers in a public test is pretty brazen (they did it before, but with a more subtle agenda than just offing a bunch of regulars). Reflejo may well be Karaka's servant, but that doesn't necessarily make him anything but a competent E rank regular. Although a full body outfit does suggest a hidden identity. There is probably some underhanded plan as well, but those aren't exactly something you want to bet on. Especially when the whole thing is completely superfluous to your actual goals.

The only way I can really read all of this is as a power struggle within FUG, with one side being ham-handed and incompetent and the other understanding that they had Baam under their thumb the second they secured Rachel's cooperation and are loving up the process of socializing him to be sympathetic to their goals.

The only serious threat among his friends is Koon, and to paraphrase Micheal Clayton, he's the guy you buy off, not the guy you kill. Although Team Competent took an actually impressive shot at him back on the first floor.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 15, 2013

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Oh. Oh god.

Is Parakewl getting poo poo done going to be a thing now? Because I don't know if I can deal with that. I don't know if I have the wherewithal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Oh, it's an eyeland.

And the plot is moving forward too, I guess.

The best bit was the eyeland though.