Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

JebanyPedal posted:

So all the people saying most of these are terrible are dumb because most of these are actually pretty good. Especially The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover, which is just an absolutely incredible film from beginning to end.

Agreeing with this, that movie is a fantastic spectacle. Gorgeous cinematography and Michael Gambon, Tim Roth and of course Helen Mirren are fantastic.

The "arty" movie channel here used to play it pretty often, nice to be able to watch it on Netflix now without huge blocks of commercials added (Showcase :argh:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RunOfTheMill
Sep 24, 2004
Just watched Hot Coffee.

I'm not super political, but it was definitely an entertaining watch. I'm always a little reserved when watching political docs since they're most certainly biased one way or another, but it was definitely interesting.

Also, as everyone says, House of Cards is the bomb.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hot Coffee is really good if only because it's an easy way to tell the 'America more like 'sue everyone for everything no matter how tiny' idiots that they objectively know nothing about what they're angry about.

Also agreeing with Prince of Egypt love, great movie.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
If you haven't watched Evil Ed I strongly suggest you do so if you are a horror comedy fan.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

If you like stand up comedy, Chocolate Sundae Presents is great. It's got Kat Williams, Kevin Hart, and Aries Spears each doing 15 minutes plus a couple other no-names for good measure. Aries Spears' impersonations are fantastic.

Also, if you liked Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margret, I'd recommend Klown on Hulu. If you like vicarious embarrassment, it has it by the boatload.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!
Just watched Best Worst Movie. I have to say I enjoyed it quite a bit. I saw Troll 2 years ago when I was a kid and didn't remember any of it. Frankly, that didn't matter. It's a pretty good look at the people involved, who are pretty interesting. Also, Hulu has a show called Intelligence [CAN] (because there are two shows called Intelligence, this one is Canadian). Also pretty drat good, but it was cancelled after two seasons due to some political pressure to cut funding for publicly subsidized programming.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

particle409 posted:

Just watched Best Worst Movie. I have to say I enjoyed it quite a bit. I saw Troll 2 years ago when I was a kid and didn't remember any of it. Frankly, that didn't matter. It's a pretty good look at the people involved, who are pretty interesting.

I loved the hell out of the movie, but it left me a little confused. Why did they seemingly completely gloss over the "They're eating her...then they're gonna eat me" scene, which I assumed was the most famous part of the movie.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

NienNunb posted:

I loved the hell out of the movie, but it left me a little confused. Why did they seemingly completely gloss over the "They're eating her...then they're gonna eat me" scene, which I assumed was the most famous part of the movie.

Yeah, I was waiting the whole movie for this scene to show up and it's not even mentioned once as far as I recall. The actor Darren Ewing took part in the documentary, so I can't see them excluding it based on his objection.

Speaking of trolls, it's probably been mentioned a lot in this thread, but Trollhunter is a great Norwegian found-footage fantasy thriller. It's billed as a horror film, but it's pretty PG-13 and I found it a lot more fun than scary.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

NienNunb posted:

My biggest complaint about the movie is that they couldn't get Creedance's actor even though they got pretty much everyone else. It's probably not their fault but it was still disappointing.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

NienNunb posted:

They seemed to focus on the more interesting people, rather than actual iconic scenes. George Hardy, the director, the crazy woman who was taking care of her mother, etc, all a lot more interesting than an analysis of the movie itself.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I saw Bully the other day. It was alright. I think some people criticized it for not really presenting a solution but I like documentaries that have passive voices.

Haven't really been on in about two months, so I'm like a fat kid in a cake store right now. I'm sure you've guys talked about this already but does the Play Max for everyone else suck at recommending movies?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gaunab posted:

I saw Bully the other day. It was alright. I think some people criticized it for not really presenting a solution but I like documentaries that have passive voices.

Haven't really been on in about two months, so I'm like a fat kid in a cake store right now. I'm sure you've guys talked about this already but does the Play Max for everyone else suck at recommending movies?

I've gotten some good picks out of it, but more often than not, especially lately, it's only been giving me total crap.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Gaunab posted:

So far, yes. It sucks hard.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

President Kucinich posted:

Also, if you liked Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margret, I'd recommend Klown on Hulu. If you like vicarious embarrassment, it has it by the boatload.

If you like David Cross in general you should see It's A Disaster!, a dark comedy about four couples stuck in a house while the world is ending

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

RunOfTheMill posted:

Just watched Hot Coffee.

I'm not super political, but it was definitely an entertaining watch. I'm always a little reserved when watching political docs since they're most certainly biased one way or another, but it was definitely interesting.

Hot Coffee is good because there really is no room for interpretation. Corporations, or politicians already financially involved with big corporations, paid money to convince people that lawsuits were out of hand so that they could gut consumer protections and most of the people involved were Republicans. There is no "other side" where the people involved weren't reprehensible shitheads valuing profit over human safety.

AltoidsAddict
Sep 13, 2007

when they're yours you'll love them

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Hot Coffee is good because there really is no room for interpretation. Corporations, or politicians already financially involved with big corporations, paid money to convince people that lawsuits were out of hand so that they could gut consumer protections and most of the people involved were Republicans. There is no "other side" where the people involved weren't reprehensible shitheads valuing profit over human safety.

I ran into a friend of a friend on Facebook who, once he knew the details, still stuck to his opinion that she shouldn't have gotten a cent and believed she should have had to pay McDonald's legal fees and face some penalty for a frivolous lawsuit as well. My friend was appalled and very quickly he was no longer a friend of my friend.

The Hot Coffee lawsuit has become a great litmus test to see whose sense of empathy is at best vestigial.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I put 18 to Life in my instant queue and it went from a recommended four star to a two star recommendation. You lied to me Netflix :(. Thanks to this thread though, I'm about to watch Hot Coffee.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

God, It's a Disaster was so lovely. I watched it because it had David Cross and Julia Stiles in it. But god... GOD.

Plot is, a group of white people are having a brunch, and it quickly becomes apparent that they're dealing with an end-of-civilization type of catastrophe outside. But the super quirky fuckin twist is that they still spend most of their time talking about their banal bullshit. What a clever twist in the face of a real existential crisis! (fart)

It reminded me of the decent Canadian movie Last Night, which I did enjoy; but this was so bad. Don't watch it, you're welcome.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Captain Lavender posted:

God, It's a Disaster was so lovely. I watched it because it had David Cross and Julia Stiles in it. But god... GOD.

Plot is, a group of white people are having a brunch, and it quickly becomes apparent that they're dealing with an end-of-civilization type of catastrophe outside. But the super quirky fuckin twist is that they still spend most of their time talking about their banal bullshit. What a clever twist in the face of a real existential crisis! (fart)

It reminded me of the decent Canadian movie Last Night, which I did enjoy; but this was so bad. Don't watch it, you're welcome.

I guess it was pretty obvious that's what the movie would be about in the description? What did you expect from it? Maybe you should watch 2012 or something instead?

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Ogmius815 posted:

I guess it was pretty obvious that's what the movie would be about in the description? What did you expect from it? Maybe you should watch 2012 or something instead?

I dunno. I was caught by the description; I guess I expected it not to be lovely.

vvv - yeah, I agree. 2012 is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I guess the implication was that because I don't like a poorly executed, unconventional take on the end of the world, that I must be in the lowest-common-denominator. :confuoot:

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 20:32 on Aug 17, 2013

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Ogmius815 posted:

Don't watch 2012. Maybe it's because I'm not a fan of disaster movies, but 2012 is really boring to watch. The characters are really annoying and unlikeable and the movie is way too long. Also, the bad guy is the only person who actually makes sense but he's still an rear end in a top hat.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

Captain Lavender posted:

It's not a twist. It's a comedic premise.

Also, comedy is subjective.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

The Fall with Gillian Anderson is a crime drama from the BBC. 5 episodes, second season set to film next January. Well worth a watch, it's like Law and Order but actually good so not at all like :doink:

Edit: to be more useful, the show revolves around a string of related murders throughout. It is not a "one crime happens and is solved" in a single episode type show.

tangy yet delightful has a new favorite as of 14:37 on Aug 19, 2013

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
What's on Netflix or Amazon Prime that's good for watching while working out? I just got an elliptical set up by my TV and I'm looking for a series that's ideally 30+ minutes per episode so I don't have to futz around with changing episodes partway through. Right now I'm mainly leaning towards Amazon Prime, if anyone here has that.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Captain Lavender posted:

I dunno. I was caught by the description; I guess I expected it not to be lovely.

vvv - yeah, I agree. 2012 is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I guess the implication was that because I don't like a poorly executed, unconventional take on the end of the world, that I must be in the lowest-common-denominator. :confuoot:

Well here's the netflix short description for It's a Disaster:

Netflix posted:

Faced with the knowledge that the world may be about to end, four couples stuck in a house together continue to deal with their relationship issues.

And here is the longer description:

Netflix posted:

After gathering for Sunday brunch at one of their homes, four couples realize they are stranded together as the world may be coming to an end during an apocalyptic crisis. Nevertheless, they continue to deal with their various relationship issues.

So I guess I'm a little confused that you would be shocked that the movie focused more on the character's relationships than on the world ending itself and think of it as a "twist" when that's exactly what it says on the tin. If you didn't want to a watch a movie in which couples deal with personal issues during the end of the world, why did you watch that particular movie?

Ogmius815 has a new favorite as of 21:34 on Aug 20, 2013

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Me saying it was a twist, was just describing the premise to people here that maybe hadn't read it. It is a twist on genres. The reaction these people have in the face of annihilation is "unusual".

I watched it, expecting that; in fact I cited a similar movie that I liked with the same premise.

It was poorly done. It felt pretentious, it was boring, it wasn't funny, the drama was entirely not-compelling. I thought it was terrible. Did you work on it or something? Sorry if I've upset you with my hating terrible movies.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

What's on Netflix or Amazon Prime that's good for watching while working out? I just got an elliptical set up by my TV and I'm looking for a series that's ideally 30+ minutes per episode so I don't have to futz around with changing episodes partway through. Right now I'm mainly leaning towards Amazon Prime, if anyone here has that.

Watch The Shield on Amazon Prime, all seasons are available. Your workout will turn into 2+ hours because you won't be able to stop watching it.

Pretty Pretty Pony
Jul 13, 2003

I know American Ninja Warrior and Wipeout are pay-per-episode on Amazon, but are there are any similar free to watch shows like that that anyone knows of on Amazon or Netflix? I always thought they'd be great shows to work out to.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Captain Lavender posted:

Me saying it was a twist, was just describing the premise to people here that maybe hadn't read it. It is a twist on genres. The reaction these people have in the face of annihilation is "unusual".

I watched it, expecting that; in fact I cited a similar movie that I liked with the same premise.

It was poorly done. It felt pretentious, it was boring, it wasn't funny, the drama was entirely not-compelling. I thought it was terrible. Did you work on it or something? Sorry if I've upset you with my hating terrible movies.

In your first post you didn't offer any intelligible critique of the film though. You just went "Oh man they talk about their dumb relationship drama the whole movie what a terrible films am i rite?".

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Assuming it's still on Netflix, "Spaced" was perfect for me for this. It's the Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz guys before Shaun of the Dead.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ExCruceLeo posted:

Watch The Shield on Amazon Prime, all seasons are available. Your workout will turn into 2+ hours because you won't be able to stop watching it.

I actually had that happen with Justified today, but I ran out of the episodes that are on prime. I've been meaning to rewatch The Shield, though.

Medullah posted:

Assuming it's still on Netflix, "Spaced" was perfect for me for this. It's the Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz guys before Shaun of the Dead.

I'll have to keep that in mind for when I get my Netflix working again. It was still on there when I was flipping through a few weeks ago.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.

I actually had that happen with Justified today, but I ran out of the episodes that are on prime. I've been meaning to rewatch The Shield, though.

Yeah I really like Justified a lot too. I wasn't too sure about Timothy O. going into it but he does a good job. Wish they would add seasons faster. The shield also shares a main character with Justified, I never knew anyone that played in the shield except the main character from the cover page so I was really surprised.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Trailer Park Boys seems to have all the episodes again! Oh happy day!

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Just an FYI, nothing is going to be about 30 minutes, everything is going to be 22 or 44 minutes (at least the American stuff), because that's how much content is in 30 and 60 minutes of actual tv airtime. That being said, I also recommend The Shield. It's a great show to go through, not dated at all.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Frabjuous day. Dredd has been added.

Raskolnikov2089 has a new favorite as of 17:16 on Aug 23, 2013

pookerbug
Jan 21, 2006

the vitreous humourist
That's awesome about Dredd.

Against my better judgement, I've started watching Hemlock Grove.

My expectations were pretty low and it really is a huge mess, but I still find myself enjoying it so far in a trashy way. It's sort of like Twin Peaks meets Dark Shadows.

The cast is pretty solid with Dougray Scott finally getting to play against Famke Janssen 13 years after losing the Wolverine gig to Hugh Jackman. Plus they threw a couple of Galactica alums in there to round things out so that's cool.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Frabjuous day. Dredd is being added to Instant View tomorrow.

It's showing available for me today though (same date as your post)? :getin:

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Totally TWISTED posted:

It's showing available for me today though (same date as your post)? :getin:

Yup you're right. Fixed it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
The other day I watched Deathstalker, which was a hilariously trashy Conan-wannabe film about some big muscled guy who roams around kicking rear end and gets a magic sword to fight an evil wizard. There's some really unintentionally hilarious stuff in it, like the evil servant who gets transformed into a hot woman by the wizard, and then the barbarian Deathstalker tries to rape him. I expected it to be terrible and unwatchable shlock that I could read a book to, but I ended up riveted.

Then I watched Dinosaur Island, which is a low-budget titty flick with a story that is pretty much The Land That Time Forgot. With topless women everywhere, doing inexplicably topless things. It was really terrible and a lot of fun, I am generally not into trashy exploitation films but this one was really kind of amazingly bad. And did I mention that there are boobs? Lots of breasts? And topless women wrestling, and running, and fighting green-screen dinosaurs by jabbing spears in (usually) the right direction? I loved this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Frabjuous day. Dredd has been added.

Oh my god,oh my god,oh my god!! I was thinking the other day that I hadn't seen this movie yet and was close to go all :filez: . Awesome!

• Locked thread