Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

VelociBacon posted:

Very cool - how bout a comparison shot of using it vs not using it?

The skies finally cleared up enough for me to try this, and I gotta say that my setup was a giant piece of poo poo. The drive just isn't smooth, so no matter how careful I was turning the screw I'd get vibration that showed up in the pictures. So, I could eliminate star trails, but the stars would be spastic line spinning around a point instead.

I think I'm going to just save up and get a real equatorial mount or a vixen polarie instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Night Sky by g.hetzel, on Flickr

First try blending multiple images into star trails. Not the best, but I think it's not bad for not doing it before.

Superdawg
Jan 28, 2009

Mr. Despair posted:

I think I'm going to just save up and get a real equatorial mount or a vixen polarie instead.

I remember this rig being posted a long time ago. This might help the smoothness for you.

http://www.garyseronik.com/?q=node%2F52

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Superdawg posted:

I remember this rig being posted a long time ago. This might help the smoothness for you.

http://www.garyseronik.com/?q=node%2F52

I looked at that site (and about 20 others) while planning this one. the #1 issue I'm having is just that the whole thing vibrates when you turn the threads. I need to add a proper handle to the threaded rod, and I think maybe add some tape to the bottom board to cover up the hole I drilled in it due to a genera paranoia about my first hole not being quite right, and then maybe get a better t nut to thread the rod through, there's quite a bit of play in this one.

e. Really the hinges are pretty lovely too, I should have found something with less play in them.

e2. The mark 2 handle works pretty well though, but it's a bit on the heavy side, even with the weight savings I attempted.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 18, 2013

Tayacan
Dec 8, 2012

Fucking nerd
There's a park right next to where I live, and at night they have lights placed under the trees.

This is from a lake in the same park. There was hardly any light, only the one that can be seen reflected in the water in the background.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SeaborneClink posted:

SWSP what lens/iso/exposure were you using? I tried to look at the EXIF but imgur strips it all. I presume this was shot with your 5D3?
Sorry about that. That was 15s at f/3.5, ISO 6400. 5D3 with TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Sorry about that. That was 15s at f/3.5, ISO 6400. 5D3 with TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II.

You love that 24. I need a 24 :ohdear:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
45seconds, f/22, and being there :toot:

Whitewater - BLM Bridge #3, Mt Hood National Forest by Ashade76, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone in these parts get a good shot of the nova?

http://www.universetoday.com/104192/update-on-the-bright-nova-delphini-2013-plus-a-gallery-of-images-from-our-readers/

Too much city glow where I'm at. :smith:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

FWIW the nova seems to have peaked at about 4.3 magnitude, it's been dropping in brightness for a few days now. Floating at around 5.2 or 5.3 from the looks of it.

http://www.aavso.org/lcg/plot?auid=...2=&mean=&vmean=

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Mr. Despair posted:

FWIW the nova seems to have peaked at about 4.3 magnitude, it's been dropping in brightness for a few days now. Floating at around 5.2 or 5.3 from the looks of it.

http://www.aavso.org/lcg/plot?auid=...2=&mean=&vmean=

Arghhhh. I've been trying but between the clouds that seem to appear out of nowhere starting about fifteen minutes after sunset to the super bright blue moon tonight I just haven't been able to get a dark enough sky to get anything worthwhile.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Arghhhh. I've been trying but between the clouds that seem to appear out of nowhere starting about fifteen minutes after sunset to the super bright blue moon tonight I just haven't been able to get a dark enough sky to get anything worthwhile.

Well, the moon's not too bad of a problem. I was able to get some pictures of it last night and the night before last. I used my zoom telephoto at 55mm last night, then shot a series of short (3s) exposures at 3200 ISO. Then I could stack them, which got rid of most of the noise from high ISOs, and then used levels to remove a lot of the skyglow from the Moon. I was able to see stars down to about 8th magnitude in my pictures, along with a faint smudge that's in the right place to be the Dumbbell Nebula. It's not going to be the amazing star fields that you'd see in a truly dark sky, but there's still enough stars to make the pictures interesting.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I took some photographs.

Barbur Storage by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

A Sure Locksmith by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Barn door tracker update. Mounted it on the new, bigger ball-head, moved the tiny benro to the top for the camera. Still needs some work on the drive screw, it's needs some graphite or something to make it spin easier, and something to brace it because there's some slop in the hole it goes through.

Still, these are both 60 second shots with a 50mm on the OM-D. With the 15mm it would be even better.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
Haven't done much all that much night photography before, so I decided like an idiot to jump in at the deep end with long exposure HDR.

I think the first image is a bit oversaturated, although I do like the unnatural colors to some extent. idk.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
The HDR in the first one is really obvious because there is halo glow everywhere. The second one is nice though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Might wanna rotate it so the poles are vertical though.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I dunno, both of those seem really painfully contrasty.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

Casu Marzu posted:

Yeah I guess that was my main concern. initially quite in your face but lacking subtlety.

Maybe if I'd taken an even quicker top bracket, the current one was still slightly overexposed in the highlights so you can't really see much detail on a bunch of the fluorescent signs.

I'll play around in post-production a bit more - any ideas how to make these sort of images shine without overcompensating with contrast/colors?

I tried a bit on the second one, trying to make it less contrasty but keep the harsh bright light and it just looked a bit flat otherwise. The first picture is probably an easier target, tho

Mr SuperAwesome fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Aug 26, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

Yeah I don't particularly like either photo, but if you're gonna process an image and put it on the internets, might as well do the easy fixes.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

I took some pictures around town last night. There was still a bit of foot traffic out, but not really enough to show up in any of my shots:

Varsity Theatre, Carbondale by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Dairy Queen, Carbondale by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Railroad Crossing by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Amtrak Departure by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

The stars around the lights are because of the aperture mask on my 35mm. Not sure I want to use it again for night shots.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Star patterns are unavoidable, just don't point at point sources of light.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can alter them by opening up your aperture.. the star effect starts to go away and becomes more of a fuzzy blob effect. Obviously you'll have to be content with a narrower DOF though.

It's caused by the point where two aperture blades meet.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
^ This is what I was going to say. Now the way you go about doing that is by using a neutral density filter. Probably doesn't need to be very strong since you are already shooting at night.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Petenwell Flowage by g.hetzel, on Flickr

Petenwell Flowage by g.hetzel, on Flickr

Still trying to dial in my settings for these exposures. I think it's getting there though.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Stars over Bolam Lake 5 by NoneMoreNegative, on Flickr

Stars over Bolam Lake 1 by NoneMoreNegative, on Flickr

Still a fair bit of light pollution half-an-hour out of town, I'll need to go further afield if I want a proper Milky Way shot. 20secs at 24mm is pushing stars as points as well, will stick to 15secs next time out.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

That's dope

wanghammer
Mar 24, 2001
DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH COCK I HAD TO SUCK TO GET THIS CUSTOM TITLE? A LOT!
Managed a somewhat clear night out on the farm.

IMG_9278e by bighoits, on Flickr

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

wanghammer posted:

Managed a somewhat clear night out on the farm.

IMG_9278e by bighoits, on Flickr

Very nice. How much post processing did you do?

Teh Sebas
Feb 24, 2010

this is a old pic, of new year :3

wanghammer
Mar 24, 2001
DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH COCK I HAD TO SUCK TO GET THIS CUSTOM TITLE? A LOT!

accipter posted:

Very nice. How much post processing did you do?

Thanks.
All I did was bring the highlights up, bump the exposure about 1 stop and desaturate the orange hue in the clouds at the bottom.

Duckjob
Aug 22, 2003
Pack 'n Save has everyday low prices
Here's a few shots around San Francisco

5D3_7482 by capacity4action, on Flickr

5D3_6679 by capacity4action, on Flickr

5D3_8204 by capacity4action, on Flickr

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

A couple from a minor shooting expedition last night:

Emerson Bridge by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Riverwalk at Cape Girardeau by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

Duckjob posted:

Here's a few shots around San Francisco

5D3_8204 by capacity4action, on Flickr

I love the color balance on this.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I can never get quite what I want doing long exposures at night, but here's one that I don't think is awful, at least!

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I did not know this. Thank you Despair.

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

Haven't done much all that much night photography before, so I decided like an idiot to jump in at the deep end with long exposure HDR.

I think the first image is a bit oversaturated, although I do like the unnatural colors to some extent. idk.

I've pretty much given up on HDR, mainly because i cant get anything to look good and i waste shooting time doing excessive bracketing. Also, my G+ was full of the awful cartoony shite that Trey Ratcliff shits out regularly.
The guy is a good photographer, when hes not doing HDR. His burning man stuff was amazing.

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 22, 2013

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Has anyone mentioned that Comet ISON is coming up? Might be something to plan for if you like doing astrophotography. I am going to see if I can get something in a start shot since it is supposed to be very bright.

http://waitingforison.wordpress.com/november-2013/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Atticus_1354 posted:

Has anyone mentioned that Comet ISON is coming up? Might be something to plan for if you like doing astrophotography. I am going to see if I can get something in a start shot since it is supposed to be very bright.

http://waitingforison.wordpress.com/november-2013/

Unfortunately, it's kind of looking like ISON's really not going to live up to the hype. The best show is supposed to be after it passes close to the sun, and based on more recent observations there's a good chance that it might not be large enough to survive that long. Crossing my fingers, though.

Regardless, as long as it gets above about 3rd magnitude, or about the brightness of the Andromeda galaxy, you will be able to get some nice pictures of it.

I took some pictures of Comet PanSTARRS earlier this year. It was about 3rd or 4th magnitude and in deep twilight, and I still managed to get some decent pictures of it. I didn't have a tripod that could track star motion, so I just took a lot of short pictures, stacked them to reduce the noise, and then stretched the histograms as far as I could without making the picture look like poo poo. I ended up with shots like this:

PanStarrs Closeup by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

PanStarrs Sunset by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

As a note, the geometry of ISON's tail will work in favor of photographers, since we'll see it edge on and have all the light concentrated in one area. PanSTARR's tail was almost face on, so the light from it was a lot more diffuse.