Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

DarkSun6890 posted:

Get online scrubs!

Nice wrecking some pubbies with you in classic. Did we even lose a match? Teamwork is still the king.

I enjoyed the return of:
1) Throwing grenades blindly into hiding spots actually working
2) Spies shooting mercs and expecting them to die
3) Mercs who forget that "up" exists and is a place where men with knives hide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Sorry guys I am working late, I promise I will be on tomorrow. Literally still working right now. :(

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

DarkSun6890 posted:

Get online scrubs!

PC or xbox? My (PC) download is at 98% which means 5-10 minutes. Let's play. Add me. http://steamcommunity.com/id/ethanol3

ethanol fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 21, 2013

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Yeah this game is pretty good. I'm hooked. This is much better than Conviction even if I'm pretty much playing it the same. Although there's so many upgrades I don't know what to do besides make Sam a pretty princess.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
I finally solved my issue with Uplay. I posted my resolution on the steam forums but I'll also post it here too. It seems like it's the 3.0 update to Uplay that's causing some people issues. I had to do this to fix it for me:

- uninstall Uplay from the control panel AND manually delete the Ubisoft folder in the \program files 9x86)\ folder because the uninstaller left some files behind.
- restart my computer (no seriously, this was actually required, it didn't work if I didn't do this step)
- reinstall uplay from the installer on Uplay's website
- restart my loving computer again
- launch the game from steam, wait for about a minute with nothing going on and making me think that the goddamned game froze without an error until uplay finally appeared and updated itself.
- once it's updated, exit and relaunch the game from steam again
- now you can input your loving code and register the loving game and hoo-loving-ray, eat a dick and die Ubisoft

Hopefully this helps others :sigh:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Random question: I got Blacklist with my GTX 760, and I'm assuming that there's no way to use the key provided on Steam? I've already registered on Uplay and it's downloading, I'm just wondering if I can get it through Steam. Not a big deal if not.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Seeing how Steam just launches Uplay and has absolutely no interaction with the game otherwise (no achievements, etc), you're better off just adding the game to Steam as a non-steam game if you want to launch it through steam out of convenience because that's essentially all the legit copy purchased from Steam does as well.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
Wow this thread is almost dead considering this game just got released...

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
This is probably a really dumb question, but when you play as a merc, what is the key for the flashlight? Is is something you unlock or only is on certain weapons? I looked through the keybindings and couldn't find it, and I have a feeling the answer is going to make me feel super dumb.

-Edit The Mouse+Keyboard layout is really throwing me off, you think I would be at a huge disadvantage if I just used my 360 controller for Spy Vs Merc?
-edit edit nevermind im dumb :)

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Aug 21, 2013

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Kontradaz posted:

Wow this thread is almost dead considering this game just got released...

This game got released against Saints Row 4 and its from a franchise that takes a really long time between releases and who's last game was...divisive. Its not surprising that Blacklist might take a while to get going.

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013
I just wish the main character wasn't Sam Fisher. I'd be fine with a new face. Fisher is getting old, so instead they bring in a voice actor who sounds like he's in his mid 30's? Stupid.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

sether01 posted:

This is probably a really dumb question, but when you play as a merc, what is the key for the flashlight? Is is something you unlock or only is on certain weapons? I looked through the keybindings and couldn't find it, and I have a feeling the answer is going to make me feel super dumb.

-Edit The Mouse+Keyboard layout is really throwing me off, you think I would be at a huge disadvantage if I just used my 360 controller for Spy Vs Merc?
-edit edit nevermind im dumb :)

You get a flash light in classic mode only.

Also I switched to a 360 controller because I couldn't figute how to walk with the keyboard. I recommend it, seems like the game was strongly intended for playing with a gamepad if only by the weapon wheel and for speed sensitivity.

I really like the game, especially the multiplayer. It really brings back the spies v merc well. And I've been itching for a real stealth game since metro ll. I played and was very much disappointed by double agent and whatever conviction was too for what it's worth.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 21, 2013

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Got a few questions before I purchase this someday..

1: Remember how the original SvM had it so that you could whisper something into the ears of your victim when you melee killed them or just grabbed them? That was a thing, right? Maybe it was just proximity. Is that in this game?
2: Does the SvM classic really feel like the original?
3: Does shooting out lights still work?
4: Is your spy's speed, and thus quietness, determined by your mousewheel?
5: How are the PC KB+M binds? I remember they absolutely sucked back in the old days and couldn't be rebound properly at all. I want to make sure that Ubi finally got past their awful PC porting with respect to Splinter Cell and ensure that I can bind things exactly how I want to instead of having to dance around stupid restrictions like keys can only be bound to one class or inability to bind all the mouse buttons or special keys like ' and ;. Yes, I have reasons for needing these binds.
6: Are there any traps on either side that cannot be shot/defused by the opposing team? For that matter, are there any traps that can be shot and thus rendered useless by the same team?
7: Exactly what kind of customization options and meta-game did they throw into classic SvM?

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Aug 21, 2013

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

G-Whizard posted:

I just wish the main character wasn't Sam Fisher. I'd be fine with a new face. Fisher is getting old, so instead they bring in a voice actor who sounds like he's in his mid 30's? Stupid.
Seconding this, especially since Sam's character arc reached a pretty natural conclusion at the end of Conviction.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Friend me if you want to play some Splinter Cell, especially if it's in two weeks because I'm going on vacation Friday. Dvlos and I will probably be playing Thursday night, unless he stands me up.

Tag is Obsurveyor. I've sent requests to the old crew as well as some that have posted tags.

Uldor
Feb 23, 2009

Gear... Fourth!
Anyone else getting a massive performance hit when they try to play the game with KB/M? Specifically just when you move the mouse the FPS drops by half at the least if not more. Zero issues when use a 360 controller and so far haven't found anything online about this issue other than updating to the new nvidia beta drivers might fix it. Downloading those now, hopefully they work because what little of the multiplayer I've played is great.

Edit: Drivers didn't do anything, still hosed

Uldor fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 21, 2013

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
It seems like this game is very unforgiving when it comes to PC connections - whether it be firewalls or NAT or whatever. Has anyone had any luck getting spies versus mercs to work?

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Gonkish posted:

Random question: I got Blacklist with my GTX 760, and I'm assuming that there's no way to use the key provided on Steam? I've already registered on Uplay and it's downloading, I'm just wondering if I can get it through Steam. Not a big deal if not.

You can load it in as a steam game even if you have an actual key or physical copy. If you're looking for playtime and achievements or cards or whatever. I did this with the Witcher 2 so I don't see why you can't do this as well.

Also do we have a gametag file or something setup?

GT Xbox: BERGfu

BERGfu fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 21, 2013

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Has anybody figured out how to bind a push to talk button to a controller?

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

1stGear posted:

You're not putting yourself in the Tom Clancy mindset. In that world, there's no such thing as innocent non-Americans or cliched Republicans.

Fixed.

Obsurveyor posted:

Dvlos and I will probably be playing Thursday night, unless he stands me up.

Your mama.

================

On a side note, is Sam's new voice as obnoxious as I've already imagined it to be?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
It flips back and forth jarringly in the first couple of missions (all I've gotten through so far) from a deeper Michael Ironside impersonation to a more normal pitched tough sounding guy.

Also it's been a while since I played Conviction, but wasn't Kobin very Eastern European sounding, and not... rural American sounding?

I mean really this game I guess is the final act of a reboot that started with Conviction.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Dogen posted:

It flips back and forth jarringly in the first couple of missions (all I've gotten through so far) from a deeper Michael Ironside impersonation to a more normal pitched tough sounding guy.

I can't stand Sam's voice acting. Ironside had a personality in his deep soothing voice. This guy is just :stare:

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Dogen posted:

Also it's been a while since I played Conviction, but wasn't Kobin very Eastern European sounding, and not... rural American sounding?

Kobin obviously moved to rural America and trained in a new dialect to keep up the ruse.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Dogen posted:

It took me a minute, but Kobin's VA is the same guy that played Adam Jensen on DE:HR, and he doesn't make any effort to disguise it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah the voice sounds kind of the same as Jensen, but accent seems like a twist.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Maybe there's a Deus Ex tie in game in the future?

( Splinter Cell X Deus Ex Fighting Game!)

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Dvlos posted:

Maybe there's a Deus Ex tie in game in the future?

( Splinter Cell X Deus Ex Fighting Game!)

They could duel over who is the one rightful wearer of gold-lensed eyewear.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Dogen posted:

They could duel over who is the one rightful wearer of gold-lensed eyewear.

But how will the Deus Ex guys toss their shades on the ground after winning?

Gomiboy
Dec 24, 2003

Haven't played any SvM since Chaos Theory but just picked this up today. Please add GT: Rev Feltcher for the shenanigans if you aren't already on my friends list (I think dvlos is still there)

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
So why is this game such a huge download on steam? Does it have lots of hi res textures or just a lot of uncompressed videos or something? I ask because I only have the PS3 version and I'm curious if the PC version looks a lot better.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I think if you add up both xbox discs, the install about comes to that, so I think it's the same. Is there a texture pack install option on the PS3 version like there is on the 360?

vvvv hmm, maybe it streams them off the disc since it's a BDROM, unlike the 2 disc situation on the 360

Dogen fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 21, 2013

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Nope, it's just wack in the disc and go.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I am increasingly excited for getting to play this evening, mostly because I had completely written off the series after seeing the promos for this game. But it sound like they're doing better, and I am dying to try out MvS since back in the age of Pandora I didn't have the internet to play it.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

So I just did the first mission again on perfectionist, and I got 11000 ghost points, a few thousand in panther and a couple hundred in combat, as well as about 8000 bonus points, and a multiplier of 14.5 and totaled like $300k just for that mission. Might be an effective way to grind out money.

Another interesting thing is how the points work. As far as I can tell the hierarchy goes enemies evaded, stealth knockout, stealth melee kill, stealth kill (like a silenced pistol). I'm not sure how it goes from there, but those are the types of knockouts/kills you wanna get. On normal an enemy evade nets you 175 whereas on perfectionist an enemy evade gets you 250 points. So there's lot of incentives to play on higher difficulties with ghost runs. As far as I can tell the cash multiplier increases the more points you get in a particular style.

It's a shame this Splinter Cell is so "gamey" with this stuff but it's better than nothing.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Makes me think of playing Chaos Theory and using my knife all of once or twice because of the killing thing. The only thing it ever cut was the sides of tents.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Makes me think of playing Chaos Theory and using my knife all of once or twice because of the killing thing. The only thing it ever cut was the sides of tents.

Did Chaos Theory care if you killed guys though? I can't remember. I thought that started with DA.

I mean, I have been ghosting since the first game for personal challenge reasons, but I thought the game was ambivalent about it up to that point.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Dogen posted:

Did Chaos Theory care if you killed guys though? I can't remember. I thought that started with DA.

I mean, I have been ghosting since the first game for personal challenge reasons, but I thought the game was ambivalent about it up to that point.

I think the only downside to lethal kills was that they were slightly noisier. (But so much more satisfying)

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah, that's true. Which doesn't make a lot of sense when you think about it because it seems more likely that you'd be able to reliably silently kill someone with a knife than knock them out by strangulation or head trauma without killing them.

Still the best single player game in the series, though.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It's

200 points for never disturbing a guard
175 points for a non-lethal stealth takedown of a guard
150 points for a lethal stealth takedown of a guard
125 points for any kind of takedown after detection
50 points for evading a guard who detected you

+25 points for every one you do in a row (so 2 stealth non-lethal takedowns are worth 175 + 25 points each for a total of 400). Not disturbing 3 guards is worth 200 + 50 * 3 = 750.

Hope this scoring helps. Just remember that if you have to do stealth takedowns, do a bunch of them quickly to make them worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Nah Chaos Theory's scoring system definitely penalised kills, as well as them being more noisy. I think you got a 2% penalty for every kill as long as the bodies aren't discovered. The only way to get a perfect 100% is to not trigger any alarms, get no kills, and have no bodies discovered. Double Agent went crazy with it and started adding in stuff like people knocked out, lights broken, etc, which made it almost impossible to get 100%.

• Locked thread