Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

... Just played a bit of Dong Zhuo and holy balls he's amazing. His initial attacks don't hit that hard but he keeps laying out bombs, that you can trigger at the enemies back. and his EX is just soe AOE explody it's hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I love those bombs. There is an issue though where if you're on a slight incline above the person you are attacking you can totally chuck them right over their head.

Speaking of height issues. I was doing pacification of Nanzhong today and noticed that King Wutugu is like 20 feet tall. I've done the mission a few times and never noticed that in the flurry of chopping up dudes but it's a cool touch.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Just found this courtesy of the Old Games Magazines Tumblr... I'd actually forgotten how old the series/franchise is until just now:

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Jibo posted:

I'm right there with you. It's not the worst weapon but it doesn't really have enough redeeming qualities to make up for it's general slowness and lack of range.

The weapons I really can't stand though are the Mace, Crossbow, and Harp. Brush was on that list but it's grown on me a little.

The harp is so much fun while on a horse, though. That AoE is awesome.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Jibo posted:

I love those bombs. There is an issue though where if you're on a slight incline above the person you are attacking you can totally chuck them right over their head.

Speaking of height issues. I was doing pacification of Nanzhong today and noticed that King Wutugu is like 20 feet tall. I've done the mission a few times and never noticed that in the flurry of chopping up dudes but it's a cool touch.

He's also that way in the Wei last hypothetical stage.

Did all the hypotheticals, and they're all kinda "GLORIFY OUR KINGDOM!" Although Wu is probably the worst. Wei is the most realistic, with how things were done.

And Zuo Ci's level can go eat a dog.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

The harp is so much fun while on a horse, though. That AoE is awesome.

I will concede that it's a pretty great horse weapon. Not Gracia great, but good none the less.

Calax posted:

And Zuo Ci's level can go eat a dog.

The solution for this level is the same as a lot of the other stupid pain in the rear end levels. Ride Red Hare and and ride him hard. The stage is a cakewalk if you can stop the messenger and waste Sima Yi before he can even call in the engineers.

I just finished up attempting each five star weapon once and was surprisingly successful. I've got about 10 or so that I didn't manage to pick up. Lu Su, Lu Xun, and Diaochan are all going to be annoying as poo poo because in each one I would have gotten them easily if it weren't for the amount of gating from waiting people to say their lines and announcements ticking by. Zhurong's glitched on me but generally seems doable and Wen Yang's just straight up didn't work but that stage seems either really buggy or translated completely wrong in some parts. I think I'm going to have to bust into those YouTube guides for these.

I also completed the objectives for Jia Chong and Lu Bu but forgot to pick them up. :downs:

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

I haven't really tried any of the hard modes, but it seems like it should be easy overall. the only level that's given me any major issues is the last Wei Hypothetical.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Calax posted:

I haven't really tried any of the hard modes, but it seems like it should be easy overall. the only level that's given me any major issues is the last Wei Hypothetical.

The Shu ones have been the worst for me, but that may just be a result of leaving them for last and being exhausted with the tedium of some of the requirements. I ran the Battle of Chencang five times before giving up and going online. I don't think I would've ever figured out running a catapult up to the weakened wall to break it without hitting google. Though, I did learn by the second run you HAVE to use Zhang Bao or he will merrily run off to his loving suicide no matter how fast you work.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
:woop: Got all my fifth weapons.

Some advice on getting the five star weapons:

Turn your character into Lu Bu. Equip Red Hare and Lu Bu's fifth weapon and just go to town. The five star halberd so insanely, game breakingly good that it's worth using over pretty much anything else even against officers with Man weapons. Run around on your horse with your other weapon out, drop down on an officer, swap to the halberd and melt them in the two or three seconds that you get the buff. Also you should pretty much skip every mission that doesn't directly relate to getting the weapon to drop.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I was playing DW8 while my 8 year old son watched last night, he offered some refreshing perspectives that only a child can.

Foremost, he asks if the game is T-rated. I ask him why he thinks that, he says, 'well you're hitting everyone with swords and stuff and there's no blood and everybody keeps talking about coming back after you kill them. Sounds T to me.'

We start talking about how the story is based on real history, and many of these people were once actually alive almost two thousand years ago. 'They make up some things because it's a better video game right?' he asks, pretty smart. He devoted quite a bit of time after that differentiating between weapons in the game that couldn't have been around back then and ones that are historical. He is very disappointed that Guan Ping's gently caress-off giant sword isn't in fact a historically accurate weapon, let alone a practical one.

We got to Zuo Ci's mission in 'Other' story mode. He immediately surmises Zuo Ci wasn't real because first, old men with stupid hats wouldn't realistically survive a real fight, and two, that's not how you use cards. So I tell him he's an ancient Pokemaster that beat every gym that ever existed, which is why he's so powerful. He laughs and says I'm making things up. Then we take out an officer and he says, 'yeah! You shot him in the face with a Charmander, I know it!'

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

That is the most adorable goddamned thing I've read in a while.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Zuo Ci doesn't have a stupid hat. He does have really stupid hair, though.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I forgot the best dialogue he had. This happened while I was doing Zhurong's Other mission.

"The women aren't dressed right at all."
"What do you mean?"
"The men are all dressed ok for fighting. But the women, not at all."
"You're probably right."
"Well, why?"
I paused for a moment to consider the response. "You will understand later on. It definitely has nothing to do with looking properly prepared for a fight, so much as them making clothes that video game people want to see."
"No, I don't think I'm going to understand at all."
"Ohhh you will. Eventually."

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

5er... you made me dig up things on wiki.

Apparently if they straightened Zhou Tai's sword just a tiny bit (so it wasn't a Katana anymore) they'd have a chinese sword designed to cut off a horses legs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhanmadao

I do wonder what the kid will say to Xiahou Ba's rocketblade.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
5er, someday I will strive to raise a child as awesome as yours.

And various small points of previous DW games point to Guan Ping's weapon as a zanbatou, which is just Japanese for zhanmadao.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Calax posted:

5er... you made me dig up things on wiki.

Apparently if they straightened Zhou Tai's sword just a tiny bit (so it wasn't a Katana anymore) they'd have a chinese sword designed to cut off a horses legs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhanmadao

I do wonder what the kid will say to Xiahou Ba's rocketblade.

Oh, he said, 'they definitely didn't have that two thousand years ago, right?' He's not completely naive :)

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Maleketh posted:

Zuo Ci doesn't have a stupid hat. He does have really stupid hair, though.

Warriors Orochi 3 confirms that's a hat.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

The GIG posted:

Warriors Orochi 3 confirms that's a hat.

Then I stand corrected. He does in fact have a stupid hat (that looks like hair).

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I also-also forgot to mention last night was my first use of Dong Zhuo- who I have been opposed to touching because he's a gross nasty son of a bitch- and everyone that's saying he's goddamn awesome with the bombs is too loving right. His EX has so much utility because it is like it can technically follow up any C finisher.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Funny GIF if only because it's from Dynasty Warriors 1, but hell.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning

shino posted:

I found the chakram/circle blade to be pretty good actually, but you -have- to use its second set of charge attacks. It's in the weapon description but it's hard to pull off--when the circle blade flashes after you use a charge attack, you have to hit the charge attack button again with pretty difficult timing and you'll get a completely different move that is way better. But yeah, if you're not doing that it's a bad weapon.

I'd argue that it's a mix - C1-3 I always double tap, because C1(1) and C3(3) are tripe, but C2(2) is decent for dealing with his range problem, but not his area of effect problem - he's pretty invincible during it and it draws in people into his range.

Perfect(tap, then tap again) C4 is your get of jail card- C5 does good damage and breaks all but unbreakable guards. C6 is your other panic button, although you can just jump into a crowd, blast this off and combo into Musou 1.

With regards to Li Dian(spoilered so people can easily skip it and for :spergin: ):
My word it's hard to use. Ran a through times with fourth weapon, lvl26, no skills(!) on Capture of Wei-Wei side.
For the love of Yue Jin, ignore his C6. It's startup, no invincibility, is to long to even consider using, at both long or short range. His EX is pretty bad, but it activates freeze every time. My weapon didn't have elements, so I can't talk about his triggers. Your best moves are C5, C2 and C1 if no one's flanking you.
Li Dian does, however, get storm rushes like no one else.It helps that his is 360 range, helping get rid of some of the guys that will get your back. They WILL get behind you, your coverage is pretty bad across the board. Switch should be used for invincibility, followed by getting out of the surrounded situation. Switch also launches opponents on the ground, like Lu Meng's switch. Disadvantage makes Li Dian's unsafe stuff super unsafe, so prioritise getting out of disadvantage rather than getting advantage. Throwing two wheels into each other (reliable method: triangle into triangle) is a good method of getting ranged storm rush, but is also good at hitting random soldiers.
His 1st musou pushes everything in front of you back, and his air musou is meh. His Other ground has two sweetspots, the wheels, but can juggle most heights and can reliably add damage to storm rushes. Rage attack is okay, true rage has average hit count. Nice ender, though.
In summary:
Get any and all weapon effects which give life,mousou or rage on hit,priority in that order These are vital for his survival. Flurry is also good.
Use his 5th, 2nd and 1st charges as appropriate.
Keep the enemy in front of you.
Avoid disadvantage as much as possible.
Make good use of Storm Rushes.
Good Luck.

Also, has anyone had any problems getting the star for Jin's hypothetical capture of Cheng Du? I've killed everyone on the stage, got the 'I surrender' message, but no star. Any advice?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Pirate Warriors 2 comes to the PSN in North America on September 3rd for $50.

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun

Trollhawke posted:

Also, has anyone had any problems getting the star for Jin's hypothetical capture of Cheng Du? I've killed everyone on the stage, got the 'I surrender' message, but no star. Any advice?

Only advice I can offer here is that you need to make absolutely sure you are the one to finish off Jiang Wei. Doing so triggers Guan Suo and Guan Yinping spawning.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Mr. Leonheart posted:

Only advice I can offer here is that you need to make absolutely sure you are the one to finish off Jiang Wei. Doing so triggers Guan Suo and Guan Yinping spawning.

That's what was doing it to me, that's probably what's getting you, Trollhawke.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Beat Wu's story so I started on their hypothetical stuff and Sun Jian's 9-ring blade is pretty awesome. Sun Jian. :allears:

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Suben posted:

Beat Wu's story so I started on their hypothetical stuff and Sun Jian's 9-ring blade is pretty awesome. Sun Jian. :allears:

Such a happy dad. Wu's hypothetical is probably my favorite of the bunch.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

EDIT:

Gematsu posted:

Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends is coming to PlayStation 3 and PS Vita in Japan on November 28, Tecmo Koei revealed in this week’s Famitsu.

On PlayStation 3, the game will cost 5,040 yen at retail and 4,500 yen via digital download. A PlayStation 3 set also including the original Dynasty Warriors 8 will cost 7,560 yen at retail and 6,600 yen via digital download. On PS Vita, the game will cost 7,140 yen at retail and 6,300 yen via digital download.

In addition to new characters Chen Gong and Zhu Ran, the game will offer multiplayer, downloadable content, cross-play, and cross-save support. If Scenarios, an enhanced Commander Mode, new actions, and an online ranking are also present.

Now in English for your reading pleasure!

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 21, 2013

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Are this and the Warriors Orochi 3 port going to come out in english?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
This might be the first Xtreme Legends I buy, just because I like the base game more than any that have come before.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

Are this and the Warriors Orochi 3 port going to come out in english?

DW8XL? Probably. WO3U? I'd hazard a guess and say yes. Tokyo Game Show is next month and we might hear more about it there.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Chen Gong features so prominently in both Cao Cao and Lu Bu's lore, I'm glad to see he's getting added. It'll be interesting to see what retarded anime trope gets festooned onto him. I'm partial to his tragic and sympathetic representation from 2010 Three Kingdoms, but I kind of expect yet another sneering, obnoxious, intellectually superior villain that will immediately remind a person of what cartoon they cribbed the personality from.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I'm just curious as to whether he'll be put in Wei or Other.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Just the other day I was wondering why Zhu Ran hadn't been added to the roster yet.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Chen Gong was pretty prominently featured in Ravages of Time, so it's cool to see him added now.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I'm just curious as to whether he'll be put in Wei or Other.

I can't see any better option than 'Other', considering that his most notable period of service was as Lu Bu's advisor. The DW games rely most heavily on the fictionalized account of the Three Kingdom era anyway and that's pretty much got Chen Gong as only hanging out with Cao Cao for a brief period, tearing around the countryside and trying not to get caught by Dong Zhuo loyalists. Plus while a brief character, he's a very compelling one with that interpretation.

Considering Zhu Ran's career started taking off after Jing Province, I'm kind of expecting he's going to be some bishonen teenager crap that's been the trend.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

OatmealRaisin posted:

Just the other day I was wondering why Zhu Ran hadn't been added to the roster yet.

What's odd for me is that Zhu Ran's major thing (Yi Ling Fire Attack) is currently taken by Han Dang.

At least this is purely in terms of the times you see him in previous games. Reading up on him, it seems like it'd be easy to work him into other stages and expand the roster for Wu in the later years. And I do hope they add levels in that give us a roster that's a wee bit more diverse for levels (far to few characters get one level where they're available).

I bet the capture of Hanzhong is gonna pop up as a stage (after all it gets a good section of the book dedicated to it because of Ma Chao, Pang De and Ma Dai all serving there for a while.)

Also, betting on Liao Hua being made a proper character. Zhang Ba would be a fun choice if they added him (he was Han Dang's main rival, and served under Lu Bu)

Calax fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 21, 2013

Yomtom
Aug 9, 2005

Sup?
Recently I picked up and am enjoying DW8 but I miss the narrator that would talk between missions the most :(.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Did they ever put out the Japanese voices DLC for DW8? Was thinking that might include the narration between stages.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Yomtom posted:

Recently I picked up and am enjoying DW8 but I miss the narrator that would talk between missions the most :(.

What's weird is the JP version apparently has a narrator. So they just excised it. I wonder if they couldn't get the guy who usually does it or maybe they just felt like saving some money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Calax posted:

What's odd for me is that Zhu Ran's major thing (Yi Ling Fire Attack) is currently taken by Han Dang.

Considering that his weapon is something called a Blaze Bow, I think they're probably giving it back to him. Also Chen Gongs weapon is a War Scroll, which let's him summon soldiers and make friendly soldiers around him attack in formation, which seems like a pretty sweet gimmick.