Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
This is actually from a (bilingual) Japanese comic, but because of the subject matter I figure it's relevant.

(read right to left)

:911:

Ketchup Ninja Chapter 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I'm doing some clean up on my old disks and found these panels, which I had apparently saved years ago. Afraid I only know the source of one of those, but they're rather amusing and I don't recall seeing them on this or the past thread.

from Batman Adventures #16, in which Bats hates romance

The government in a nutshell

Thor is a dick, what else is new?

Inspector Gadget is confused about the mundane

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
The Thor and Marvel Boy images have to be Spidey Super Stories, right? I don't think Marvel Boy appeared in-continuity as a non-psychopath until Agents of Atlas (he showed up in some Perez FF issues as a crazy person).

Ben Reilly Spider-Man saves a young Bruce Wayne (in Amazing Spider-Man 411, courtesy of DeFalco and Bagley):

Just in case readers didn't get the joke, here's the next page:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

laz0rbeak posted:

The Thor and Marvel Boy images have to be Spidey Super Stories, right? I don't think Marvel Boy appeared in-continuity as a non-psychopath until Agents of Atlas (he showed up in some Perez FF issues as a crazy person).

I'm guessing the Marvel Boy one is. The Thor one is from the Fantastic Four Roast.

http://marvel.wikia.com/Fantastic_Four_Roast_Vol_1_1

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

laz0rbeak posted:

Ben Reilly Spider-Man saves a young Bruce Wayne (in Amazing Spider-Man 411, courtesy of DeFalco and Bagley):

Just in case readers didn't get the joke, here's the next page:

They did this in the opening credits of Watchmen too

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Saoshyant posted:

from Batman Adventures #16, in which Bats hates romance

Oh my God, look how happy Harley is in panel 3 :3:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Dacap posted:

They did this in the opening credits of Watchmen too

That's awesome. It's even in Gotham, with Mefistofelles on the poster ala Batman Begins.:allears:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Say what you want about the rest of the film, but the opening was amazing.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Say what you want about the rest of the film, but the opening was amazing.

You can check my post history for the poo poo I did say about the film. I was and remain a very anti-Watchmen movie person. It shouldn't be a movie and the movie's damndest attempts to capture the depths of the books is testament to why it shouldn't.

That said the opening is masterfully done.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Saoshyant posted:

Inspector Gadget is confused about the mundane

I really hate to be that guy, but what the hell is going on here? (I assume knowing the context makes it funny)

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Johnny Aztec posted:

I really hate to be that guy, but what the hell is going on here? (I assume knowing the context makes it funny)

Thank god, I'm not the only one who didn't get it.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

Johnny Aztec posted:

Don't worry, you're not the only one.

If I have to guess, and I do, Penny seems a bit older, and rebelling against her Uncle. Gadget doesn't get it, because that's his thing. The Newspaper seems to suggest that something mysterious is helping MAD these days, which I assume is Penny.

This is all baseless speculation though based on expressions and the tiny font on the newspaper.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Saoshyant posted:

I'm doing some clean up on my old disks and found these panels, which I had apparently saved years ago. Afraid I only know the source of one of those, but they're rather amusing and I don't recall seeing them on this or the past thread.

Thor is a dick, what else is new?

I really like this. It's not just a corny joke but it feels right for a character of myth to be using clever wordplay like that. Reminds me of the "speak friend" riddle in LOTR or Odysseus calling himself Nobody/No one.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

NutShellBill posted:

Don't worry, you're not the only one.

If I have to guess, and I do, Penny seems a bit older, and rebelling against her Uncle. Gadget doesn't get it, because that's his thing. The Newspaper seems to suggest that something mysterious is helping MAD these days, which I assume is Penny.

This is all baseless speculation though based on expressions and the tiny font on the newspaper.

I am pretty sure it is some deviantart thing from the guy who made the 'Badass Gadget' image, or based on it. In other words, nothing to see here, move along.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Amazing Spider-Man 611

Edit: fix tables

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Blind Sally posted:

Amazing Spider-Man 611

Is that when Stilt-Man's wife took over after Punisher Max?

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Blind Sally posted:

Amazing Spider-Man 611

Is that still SpiderOck, and is he still doing way too good a job accidentally being Peter Parker for anybody to notice?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

The issue is a few years old so it's not Spock, just regular Peter.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kevos Setzer posted:

Is that still SpiderOck, and is he still doing way too good a job accidentally being Peter Parker for anybody to notice?

Amazing #611 was from 2009, so it's Peter.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Endless Mike posted:

Amazing #611 was from 2009, so it's Peter.

Was that the issue with Yomamageddon?

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
Is Spidey just a suit with bones in that first panel or something?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dez Orwell posted:

Is Spidey just a suit with bones in that first panel or something?

It's actually Mr. Fantastic.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Yeah I'm still in the camp that says the awful art is still by far the funniest part of those panels.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Nilbop posted:

Yeah I'm still in the camp that says the awful art is still by far the funniest part of those panels.

It feels "stylized" to me, but someone's said that to me before when I said art was awful, so that's probably not a great argument. I don't think it's too bad, personally. Certainly not realistic to any degree.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

Certainly not realistic to any degree.

Which is a problem in a comic book about a man with spider powers?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

Which is a problem in a comic book about a man with spider powers?

Not at all. I wasn't criticizing it. I said I liked it, I was just noting that yeah, it looked really weird.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm more confused by what Lady Stilt-Man's legs are doing, honestly.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

WickedHate posted:

It feels "stylized" to me, but someone's said that to me before when I said art was awful, so that's probably not a great argument. I don't think it's too bad, personally. Certainly not realistic to any degree.

I like it too, if that helps. "Stylized" art only bugs me when it happens in the middle of an arc that was a different style before, or if it impedes the narrative.

Also, based on the last panel, and the gloves, I assume it was Deadpool who took off the manhole cover.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Skwirl posted:

I like it too, if that helps. "Stylized" art only bugs me when it happens in the middle of an arc that was a different style before, or if it impedes the narrative.

Like the awful Deadpool/Thunderbolts crossover a few years ago that alternated between looking really great and looking like a lumpy pile of poo poo?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Like the awful Deadpool/Thunderbolts crossover a few years ago that alternated between looking really great and looking like a lumpy pile of poo poo?

I was thinking of an early Ultimate X-Men arc, that switched from the earlier kinda gritty style to this super-clean anime style. But for content, here's some Doctor Dinosaur.

Atomic Robo v4 Issue 3.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Skwirl posted:

Also, based on the last panel, and the gloves, I assume it was Deadpool who took off the manhole cover.

It certainly was Deadpool.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Was that the issue with Yomamageddon?

It certainly is!

Also, I too quite like the stylized art. I also really like stylized art in general, but that's just me. I loved Amazing Spider-Man 611. It was just so much fun.

edit: fix tables again

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Blind Sally posted:

It certainly was Deadpool.

It certainly is!

Also, I too quite like the stylized art. I also really like stylized art in general, but that's just me. I loved Amazing Spider-Man 611. It was just so much fun.

edit: fix tables again

You can't tease - what was the yo mamma joke he unleashed

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

loving :laffo: at that Hank Pym jab

Unknownone
Apr 23, 2003

Some stupid 04 bought me this

Hakkesshu posted:

loving :laffo: at that Hank Pym jab

Yeah well his mother wasn't laughing at his right hook.

Also I really need to know the joke.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Manwithastick posted:

Enjoy!

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Aug 21, 2013

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I really hope "never said maim, kill or die" is referring to standards and practices on stuff like the spider-man cartoon.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Manwithastick posted:

Deadpool is the ultimate tease.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So Nova is pretty amazing and you should be reading it, but #7 is incredible:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So, anyone remember those panels of the Joker and the monkey?

Well:

From a preview of the Joker's Forever Evil issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caboodle
Oct 28, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So Nova is pretty amazing and you should be reading it, but #7 is incredible:

When I picked up the first issue and there was no Richard Ryder, I was a little bit sick in my mouth :-(

• Locked thread