Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Bularin posted:

We're on game 4 or 5, and had our first real space engagement. Can't say our pilot was too happy to see that the only thing he could do with his 3 piloting skill was try "Gain the Advantage," which isn't even an option in a speed 3 YT-1300. Even if it was, the difficulty would be daunting for him against the speed 5 TIE Fighters. We'd slapped a Quad Laser on the boat, and he spent most of the combat doing the same thing the rest of us did - Aim, Fire. Not terribly exciting.

On the other hand, there was a poo poo ton to do with my 3 mechanics skill. Boost shields, put out fires (repair system strain), and even do some real damage control.

There any specific rule against getting the same modification twice for a ship? I like to put a couple of +speed mods on the boat, so the pilot can at least feel like he's something other than a glorified gunner.

And while I'm thinking about mods - dear god most of them are terrible.

There's a 4 or 5 page thread on the Fantasy Flight forums about just this situation. The best solution to making a pilot feel useful is for the GM to design space encounters from the point of view that freighters shouldn't really be dog-fighting. Your default space encounter should be more of a chase situation, the two pages that are devoted to chases and space terrain should be used in that situation. The pilot also needs to focus on talents to make his piloting more exciting. I'm at work so I don't have the book but I'm pretty sure most of the cool stuff a pilot can do are in the talents. Crits also make space combat pretty interesting in my experience.

Space combat definitely seems to be a lot of work for GMs to run well. I personally have only done two encounters with it but I've been reading a lot of the FF threads regarding it. One thing I'm going to keep in mind is that even though maneuvers aren't supposed to require die rolls, there might be situations where they would be appropriate. Off the top of my head, Accelerate/Decelerate are maneuvers, but if my pilot wanted to drop speed sharply to zero I might have him make a check to see if any failures/threats/despair impact what happens. He could drop to zero no matter what, but maybe he rolls enough bad results to break something on the ship. Simple checks are also always an option for stuff that should always go right, but they throw advantages and triumphs into the mix which makes things more exciting. The tricky part is deciding whether throwing dice should "upgrade" a maneuver to an action.

It's all pretty exciting to me to be honest and I can't wait to run my next sessions to try out the full space encounter rules and try out some of these ideas. There's also thinking in the FF forums that Age of Rebellion might expand on space encounter rules which would make me more likely to pick up a copy of the Beta book. We should know more about that book by the end of Gen Con this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Sorry to double post but the GSA has a first look article up about AoR: http://gsa.thegamernation.org/2013/08/15/first-look-star-wars-age-of-rebellion/

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Is it just me, or are a full fourth of the specializations reprints of EotE ones?

Also, just to be sure that I have my math correct, that's a minimum of 50 XP to start with both Force specializations? (20 XP for one, then 30 for the other, if they're the first two specializations taken besides one's free career specialization at creation.) Still no "prequel Jedi", but it's another Force specialization that sounds like it can be backported into EotE without further rules adjustment, which is a good thing in my book, and the Jedi-in-Hiding NPC will give another glimpse of what can be.

Hopefully the vehicles/starships and NPCs can be similarly backported without rules changes as well (other than the addition of gravity well projectors) which would seem to actually make this a more setting/time period-flexible system than the "Classic Trilogy/Rebel PCs All The Way" theme would suggest.

MattJP
Mar 6, 2010
My group has done the beginner adventure, we liked it and are about to start a full campaign. I decided to get the Core book and have been reading through it. This thread has been very helpful and has answered a lot of the questions I had, but I'm a bit concerned about encumbrance.

The rule causing issues is "if a character is encumbered by an amount equal to or greater than his Brawn rating, he no longer earns a free manoeuvre each turn." For example, if a character has a Brawn of 4, which the book describes as "significantly above average" and uses a Blaster Rifle (Encum 4), then he can no longer move without causing strain? I feel like this doesn't make sense. If a character has the average of 2 Brawn, then holding a Blaster Pistol (1) and an ammo pack (1) would mean they couldn't move.

In reality it seems like every character will constantly be hitting their Brawn rating in encumbrance. So, are characters expected to use the Ability->Manoeuvre conversion if they want to move? Are they expected to just suffer 2 strain every time they move? Does this also apply to enemies? Am I just completely missing something here?

Edit: Realised where I went wrong. From my post below: "'Encumbered' is a specific term relating to the amount by which you have exceeded your encumbrance threshold. So with a brawn of 4, you have to be carrying 5 + 4 + 4 = 13 before you lose your free manoeuvre."

MattJP fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 16, 2013

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
It's supposed to be Brawn +5 if memory serves correctly.

Amish Retard
Jan 27, 2004
Taking the short wagon since 1885
All humanoids have an encumbrance of 5 plus their brawn. You can also get backpacks and such to give more encumbrance (in the core book, a backpack will give you 3 more encumbrance). I house ruled some smaller satchels and hip packs at 1 and 2 extra encumbrance because they were on a planet with total poo poo technology (think wicker baskets).

It's made my players think more about what they can carry - I had a smuggler carry only a blaster rifle that was great, but when it was knocked out of his hands he went to pull his blaster pistol only to swear and yell that he forgot he had left it behind to carry more junk.

MattJP
Mar 6, 2010

PantsOptional posted:

It's supposed to be Brawn +5 if memory serves correctly.

That's the Encumbrance threshold, past which point you start receiving setback dice to agility/brawn rolls.

Hang on, I've just realised what I've messed up. "Encumbered" is a specific term relating to the amount by which you have exceeded your encumbrance threshold. So with a brawn of 4, you have to be carrying 5 + 4 + 4 = 13 before you lose your free manoeuvre.

Sorry for the stupid post.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
By the way, no idea if anyone's using this house rule, but as a "middle ground" between a Lightsaber custom skill as the book allows for at GM's behest (though I'd suggest that it not be a non-career for any specialization) and the book's default "no skill ranks possible, use Brawn or Agility", has anyone considered the idea of allowing their players to use Melee but with Setback dice?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Chortles posted:

Is it just me, or are a full fourth of the specializations reprints of EotE ones?

Also, just to be sure that I have my math correct, that's a minimum of 50 XP to start with both Force specializations? (20 XP for one, then 30 for the other, if they're the first two specializations taken besides one's free career specialization at creation.) Still no "prequel Jedi", but it's another Force specialization that sounds like it can be backported into EotE without further rules adjustment, which is a good thing in my book, and the Jedi-in-Hiding NPC will give another glimpse of what can be.

Hopefully the vehicles/starships and NPCs can be similarly backported without rules changes as well (other than the addition of gravity well projectors) which would seem to actually make this a more setting/time period-flexible system than the "Classic Trilogy/Rebel PCs All The Way" theme would suggest.

It's not just you, there are 4 specializations that are identical to the ones in Edge of the Empire. People on the FFG forums who have gotten the book at Gen Con say that the Pilot, Mechanic, Scout and Slicer talent trees are exactly the same as in EotE. The Ace career also has a Driver specialization which is named in the Explorer supplement book so I'd expect those to be the same as well.

One thing to note about the new Force Specialization is that just taking it doesn't raise your Force rating, though you can get it up by taking the talent at the end of the tree. The only reason to take both Force Specializations at once is if you think you're going to use Force powers from both often. To me, it looks best to take one, max it till you get the +Force Rating talent, and then take the second one.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Epi Lepi posted:

It's not just you, there are 4 specializations that are identical to the ones in Edge of the Empire. People on the FFG forums who have gotten the book at Gen Con say that the Pilot, Mechanic, Scout and Slicer talent trees are exactly the same as in EotE. The Ace career also has a Driver specialization which is named in the Explorer supplement book so I'd expect those to be the same as well.
Admittedly I'm not too bothered so long as AoR somewhere specifies that that "exact same" also applies for the purposes of XP cost (read: no lovely GM who tries to claim that they're somehow separate and forcing you to re-buy them). I actually consider this reprinting somewhat inevitable simply because of the inevitable and inherent overlap between the books' themes and roles, which already had some degree of acknowledgment in EotE such as discussing what Han and Lando would both go on to do and even a slight nod to Han's life after Return of the Jedi in the existing EU, the (few) Rebel/Imperial ships and even the few Rebel/Imperial NPCs.

Epi Lepi posted:

One thing to note about the new Force Specialization is that just taking it doesn't raise your Force rating, though you can get it up by taking the talent at the end of the tree. The only reason to take both Force Specializations at once is if you think you're going to use Force powers from both often. To me, it looks best to take one, max it till you get the +Force Rating talent, and then take the second one.
Hmm, I imagine that you mean taking it after Force Sensitive Exile, since from what I'm seeing on the FFG forums, the way to get a Force Rating of 3 is to get the respective talent from both specializations.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Ok, so dual wielding. If I'm reading page 210 right this is what happens.

Guy has two blaster pistols, nominates one as primary. Rolls using Ranged (Light), adds +1 to difficulty. If he just hits, only primary blaster hits. If he has at least 2 advantage, or a triumph, both blasters hit. Correct?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Chortles posted:

Hmm, I imagine that you mean taking it after Force Sensitive Exile, since from what I'm seeing on the FFG forums, the way to get a Force Rating of 3 is to get the respective talent from both specializations.

Yeah, whichever you take first gives you Force Rating 1, but you have to get the talents at the ends of the trees to raise it any higher.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

So I just heard they had Beyond the Rim for sale at GenCon. Anyone get a chance to pick up?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Epi Lepi posted:

Yeah, whichever you take first gives you Force Rating 1, but you have to get the talents at the ends of the trees to raise it any higher.
Just to check if I'm reading things correctly:
Can I only buy up to three range band upgrades, three "number of targets affected" upgrade and/or only one "additional time(s) per round" upgrade for Sense?

If I pick up Force Sensitive Exile or Emergent, do I gain access to the Force powers from both specializations (subject to buying the powers themselves) or do I have to buy both specializations to unlock powers and not just talents? Conversely, since both specializations share Force Power: Move, does my progress in the Move tree apply with both specializations, the same way that I imagine shared career specializations' talent tree progress works?

Oh, and if anyone wants an anti-starfighter corvette, I used these guidelines to stat up the Tartan-class Patrol Cruiser from the Empire at War video game and The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide for d20 Saga Edition.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Chortles posted:

Conversely, since both specializations share Force Power: Move, does my progress in the Move tree apply with both specializations, the same way that I imagine shared career specializations' talent tree progress works?
It wouldn't make a difference. You don't somehow gain two instances of the same Force Power tree if you pick up both specializations. It's one power tree and you gain access to it from both Specializations.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Chortles posted:

Can I only buy up to three range band upgrades, three "number of targets affected" upgrade and/or only one "additional time(s) per round" upgrade for Sense?

If I pick up Force Sensitive Exile or Emergent, do I gain access to the Force powers from both specializations (subject to buying the powers themselves) or do I have to buy both specializations to unlock powers and not just talents? Conversely, since both specializations share Force Power: Move, does my progress in the Move tree apply with both specializations, the same way that I imagine shared career specializations' talent tree progress works?

Oh, and if anyone wants an anti-starfighter corvette, I used these guidelines to stat up the Tartan-class Patrol Cruiser from the Empire at War video game and The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide for d20 Saga Edition.

I loaned my core book to a friend so I can't answer your first question till I get that back.

As to your second question, the fact that the Move power is being shown in both specializations makes me think that the powers are tied to each specialization and so to take the new ones in AoR you'd need to take the Emergent specialization. If all powers were shared between all specs then I would expect the authors to either repeat all the old powers or none of them in AoR.

I do think you're correct in how progress in shared powers/specializations work though.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I'm new to this RPG stuff. If the critical table tells you to roll a d100, but it goes to 150...how?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Springfield Fatts posted:

I'm new to this RPG stuff. If the critical table tells you to roll a d100, but it goes to 150...how?
It means you're supposed to add something to the roll.

MattJP
Mar 6, 2010

For every critical hit the opponent has taken you add an additional 10 to your roll. There are also talents and weapons which add more to the roll... it can get quite nasty.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Oh poo poo, this makes more sense. I thought the +# was damage!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I am excited by this! It's print on demand, so you only have to get the ones you need.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Someone on the FFG boards put up the beta version of the Force power trees for both Enhance and Foresee and they're interesting, even if I question why the Piloting (Planetary) upgrade is a prerequisite for the Piloting (Space) upgrade, not least since that makes the "Agility" branch longer than the "Brawn" branch, although the same length as the "Force Leap" branch (itself an upgrade on the basic Enhance power).

Then again, someone on the FFG boards said that ranked talents can only be picked up once per tree/specialization and that you have to buy into other trees/specializations with them to pick up any further ranks thereof... :wtc:

MattJP posted:

For every critical hit the opponent has taken you add an additional 10 to your roll. There are also talents and weapons which add more to the roll... it can get quite nasty.

Oh poo poo, this makes more sense. I thought the +# was damage!
In the case of "weapons that add to the result", it's through the Vicious quality, which adds (Vicious amount x 10) to the Critical Injury roll.

Note that the roll result stuff is moot with Minions as they're immediately incapacitated or insta-killed upon suffering Critical Injuries and "If a group of minions suffers a Critical Injury, it suffers one minion's worth of wounds (so that one of the minions in the group is incapacitated)." (p. 390) The Critical Injury roll is still made with Rivals and Nemeses, although when a Rival's wound threshold is exceeded the GM may simply declare them killed (as with minions whose wound threshold is exceeded).

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Chortles posted:

Then again, someone on the FFG boards said that ranked talents can only be picked up once per tree/specialization and that you have to buy into other trees/specializations with them to pick up any further ranks thereof... :wtc:

There are some truly stupid individuals on that forum. How much of an idiot do you have to be to ask for scans and pdfs of a book on the publishers own forum?? Yet I can't tell you how many times I've seen that happen.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Epi Lepi posted:

There are some truly stupid individuals on that forum. How much of an idiot do you have to be to ask for scans and pdfs of a book on the publishers own forum?? Yet I can't tell you how many times I've seen that happen.
The only one I've seen was someone looking for a scan of the sample adventure in the AoR beta book; my :wtc: was re: the claim that you can only buy Dedication (+1 to a Characteristic) once, then have to buy another Specialization and go all the way down in that to take another rank in Dedication, instead of just having to acquire it once and then paying the 25 XP every time as I would rule, with the different specs simply having their own paths to that first rank (or rather, what talents you pick up on the way to the first rank).

Epi Lepi posted:

I loaned my core book to a friend so I can't answer your first question till I get that back.

As to your second question, the fact that the Move power is being shown in both specializations makes me think that the powers are tied to each specialization and so to take the new ones in AoR you'd need to take the Emergent specialization. If all powers were shared between all specs then I would expect the authors to either repeat all the old powers or none of them in AoR.

I do think you're correct in how progress in shared powers/specializations work though.
Hope to hear back re: my first question, but on my second question, so far the consensus over in the FFG thread for Force Sensitive Emergent seems to be that since the only prerequisites the powers are Force Rating 1+ (someone who purports to have the beta book mentioned that "There is not a single word in either book that even hints that the powers are specific to a spec") that the powers are not spec-specific.

... and now I just watched a stream where the players look up to the cockpit simultaneously to see a guy with a blaster in his crossed arms staring back at them from outside their ship... wearing Mandalorian armor.

Player: "... bounty hunter?"

GM: "... you just stole from the biggest crime syndicate in the galaxy! They put out a 150,000 credit bounty on your heads! You've had an Obligation of 115 over the past three sessions!!"

GM: "... do the escape pods in this ship work still?"

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Chortles posted:

...my :wtc: was re: the claim that you can only buy Dedication (+1 to a Characteristic) once, then have to buy another Specialization and go all the way down in that to take another rank in Dedication, instead of just having to acquire it once and then paying the 25 XP every time as I would rule, with the different specs simply having their own paths to that first rank (or rather, what talents you pick up on the way to the first rank).

Isn't this intended? It seems that if you could just dump 25 xp into the Dedication Talent for your specialization to up each of your stats for 25 xp endlessly, that would severely break the game. If you were to somehow normally spend your starting experience to get to 4 or 5 in a characteristic, it would cost you 40/50 XP respectively. AFAIK, each talent in the tree can only be taken once, but Ranked talents that appear multiple times (like Grit or Toughened) can be taken once for each appearance in the tree. Am I misunderstanding your complaint? I mean, house rules are always okay if the group agrees to it, but that seems rather unnecessary.

e:

Chortles posted:

And, yes, to answer your first question, you are reading things correctly. There are only 3 upgrade boxes because you can only upgrade range 3 times.

TheTofuShop fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Aug 21, 2013

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Chortles posted:

And they'd be right too, unless the talent appears more than once on one tree, in which case you can buy them that many times. Yes, that does mean only one dedication per talent tree. I mean, you can house rule it however you please, but it's not rules as written. e: And pretty obvious that it's intended to be this way, given the high cost of attributes in chargen.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Aug 21, 2013

MattJP
Mar 6, 2010

Chortles posted:

The only one I've seen was someone looking for a scan of the sample adventure in the AoR beta book; my :wtc: was re: the claim that you can only buy Dedication (+1 to a Characteristic) once, then have to buy another Specialization and go all the way down in that to take another rank in Dedication, instead of just having to acquire it once and then paying the 25 XP every time as I would rule, with the different specs simply having their own paths to that first rank (or rather, what talents you pick up on the way to the first rank).

Can I just clarify this: Are you saying that if you get to the end of a Specialisation tree and get Dedication for 25 exp, you can subsequently spend another 25 exp at any point to get another Characteristic point?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
It's something that stood out to me since I saw nothing in the Dedicated description about it nor was the wording on talent ranks on page 128 of the CRB clear, though the example inferred it... whereas the bit about talents during chargen on page 93 was more clear. :psyduck: Maybe it was only because of your responses that I thought to look there, but nevertheless I accept your interpretation of RAW.

MattJP, what you quoted was my interpretation of how ranked talents worked, but TheTofuShop and TheDemon clarified that under RAW it doesn't work that way; rather it's at minimum 170 XP for two ranks of Dedication: 75 XP for the first rank of Dedication if the starting career spec has an unbroken straight-line downward path to it, then a second career specialization for 20 XP, then 75 XP to a second rank of Dedication if it's also on an unbroken straight-line downward path in the second specialization's talent tree.

Now I'm just trying to be clear as to whether Force power upgrades work the same way for a power that appears in more than one Force specialization talent tree, i.e. Move which also appears in the Age of Rebellion beta book...

Chortles fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Aug 21, 2013

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Gonna play this game, gonna play a Wookiee who took his Life Debt to the ship's captain so seriously he went to Wookiee Medical School to get his Wookiee Doctorate, so he can be a Wookiee Medic. Why rage against the foes when you can just patch the target of your debt back up?

Dr. Wookiee, MD.

e: Aaaaaaaaand now my mate is telling me he wants to make a Trandoshan doctor to offer dissenting medical views.

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Aug 21, 2013

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Chortles posted:

Now I'm just trying to be clear as to whether Force power upgrades work the same way for a power that appears in more than one Force specialization talent tree, i.e. Move which also appears in the Age of Rebellion beta book...

Move doesn't appear in a talent tree. Move is its own power tree. You can't take it multiple times any more than you can take a talent tree multiple times. The big question, though, is whether the other powers from the books (Influence/Sense and Enhance/Foresee) are exclusive to the Exile and Emergent specializations, or if Force Powers are open to all specializations.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

PantsOptional posted:

Move doesn't appear in a talent tree. Move is its own power tree. You can't take it multiple times any more than you can take a talent tree multiple times. The big question, though, is whether the other powers from the books (Influence/Sense and Enhance/Foresee) are exclusive to the Exile and Emergent specializations, or if Force Powers are open to all specializations.
I was asking about the upgrades; ranked talents are bought one per appearance (whether found multiple times in the same talent tree or found by acquiring another specialization/talent tree that has that talent) while unranked talents are automatically acquired without spending XP in all subsequent specializations if you already bought it in a prior one (the example using Spare Clip: a Gadgeteer who gets Spare Clip and then later goes Trader doesn't have to reacquire Spare Clip). Therefore I was wondering if the basic Move power works like an unranked talent in that respect and the upgrades like ranked talents... though you seem to be saying that it's the whole tree itself that works like an unranked talent?

As for your question, consensus over in the FFG thread asking about that seems to be that current RAW (since AoR is in beta) allows access to any of the current Force powers from any Force specialization, since so far the new powers' only prerequisite is Force Rating 1+ just like the powers in Force Sensitive Exile.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Chortles posted:

I was asking about the upgrades; ranked talents are bought one per appearance (whether found multiple times in the same talent tree or found by acquiring another specialization/talent tree that has that talent) while unranked talents are automatically acquired without spending XP in all subsequent specializations if you already bought it in a prior one (the example using Spare Clip: a Gadgeteer who gets Spare Clip and then later goes Trader doesn't have to reacquire Spare Clip). Therefore I was wondering if the basic Move power works like an unranked talent in that respect and the upgrades like ranked talents... though you seem to be saying that it's the whole tree itself that works like an unranked talent?
You're talking about the upgrades like Magnitude and Range, right? That's what I'm getting at: there is no way to "take them again" or whatever, as there's only one tree for Move. They're not treated as ranked or unranked because there's no point to classifying them as such.

quote:

As for your question, consensus over in the FFG thread asking about that seems to be that current RAW (since AoR is in beta) allows access to any of the current Force powers from any Force specialization, since so far the new powers' only prerequisite is Force Rating 1+ just like the powers in Force Sensitive Exile.

Yeah, that was my conclusion today too. Interesting.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Modifications are confusing me.

I get there's a two-step system. You buy the attachment, slap it on for the base modifier. You pay 100cr, roll hard mechanics check to see if you install a "mod" on the attachment. If you fail (but without a despair), does that mean you can never try to install that mod on that attachment on that piece of gear again?

Mod clarification: if I install a Blaster Actuating Module and mod "2 Damage +1 Mods" does that mean I've essentially added +3 Damage?

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Had a question in our game tonight regarding talent trees. For example, on the Slicer talent tree in technician, the first row doesn't really connect to the second row. It's something like this

pre:
1  o  o  o
|
2--3  4--o
|  |  |  |
5--6--7--o
So, say my player wants to get Talent #4. Does he have to go 1-2-5-6-7-4? Or can he just grab #4 since there's no bar between 4 and the one above it?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
My understanding based on page 128 of the core rulebook is that the o's could be picked up at any time but wouldn't unlock further progress into the tree unlike the connected Talents, so the player would have to go 1->2->3-or-5->6->7->4 in your example.

The Slicer tree is this:
pre:
1  o  o  o
|
2  3--4--5
|  |  |  |
6  7--8--9
|  |  |  |
10-11-12-13
|  |  |  |
14-15-16-17
In this case, it'd be 1->2->6->10, then 11 or 14.

PantsOptional posted:

Yeah, that was my conclusion today too. Interesting.
I'll add that even if Enhance and Farseeing end up requiring Force Sensitive Emergent in addition to Force Rating 1+, by RAW an Emergent could still take Influence and Sense from EotE unless AoR specifically says otherwise; considering the semi-official stance that there was some degree of forward-compatibility used in designing EotE I'm inferring that such accessibility is intentional.

Modifications are confusing me.

I get there's a two-step system. You buy the attachment, slap it on for the base modifier. You pay 100cr, roll hard mechanics check to see if you install a "mod" on the attachment. If you fail (but without a despair), does that mean you can never try to install that mod on that attachment on that piece of gear again?

Mod clarification: if I install a Blaster Actuating Module and mod "2 Damage +1 Mods" does that mean I've essentially added +3 Damage?
Those are how I read them as well, although it's a Hard Mechanics check for the first and a Daunting Mechanics check for the second.

As far as what Age of Rebellion will have for new starships, someone on the FFG boards said that other than the -wing fighters (although the X-wing is... rather "overpowered" compared to the Y-wing), the YV-929 freighter and Liberty-type MC80, the majority of it is going to be Imperial:

quote:

a-wing
x-wing
b-wing
Tie interceptor
Tie defender
Tie bomber
Sentinel
Vigil
Yv-929
Gozanti
Lancer frigate
Dreadnought heavy cruiser
Vindicator
Immobilizer (interdictor)
Imperial I SD
Praetor II SD (silhouette 9, 185 hull, 11 armor pig)
Victory SD
mc 80 liberty (mon cal ship)
I'm told that the Lancer-class frigate (250 m) is Silhouette 5, the Imperial (1600 m) and Victory-class Star Destroyers (900 m) are both Silhouette 8 (as is the aforementioned MC80) and the Praetor Mark II (4800 m) is Silhouette 9... as well as a whopping Hull Threshold 185, Armor 11.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I'm in the skills chapter right now. Is there anything in this game about secret checks? Like if I want to do Perception to see if my players notice something, but without them knowing I'm rolling the check.

Edit: Also wouldn't mind a font for the dice symbols, if anyone has it.

edit2: http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/76059-can-we-make-the-swrpgicons-font-available/

alg fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 23, 2013

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

alg posted:

I'm in the skills chapter right now. Is there anything in this game about secret checks? Like if I want to do Perception to see if my players notice something, but without them knowing I'm rolling the check.
There's a sidebar on page 289 about dice etiquette. And yeah, secret checks are allowed, but for the most part everyone's rolls should be in the open since there are some character talents that can alter even the DM's dice pools and interpreting the dice is half the fun.

Vigilance (the passive perception skill) checks are kind of a grey area. Technically the players would probably have the option to spend Destiny on them, but it could really go either way. If you wanted to run your table with secret Vigilance checks I don't think it'd be a big deal.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
GSA review of the Age of Rebellion beta book here, and X-wing beta stats here -- my own guess there (informed by that one ship conversion guideline I found on Reddit) was "actually pretty close to the stats given" other than the AoR beta book version having Speed 5 (matching the TIE/Ln, though I admittedly gave it one less), Defense 1/-/-/1 (matching the Y-wing), Armor 5 ("the Big Debate")*, HT Threshold 10 (one less than I gave it) and a cost of 120,000 credits; apparently I even guessed the Rarity right, based on the "Other than that, you're spot on!"

* It's quite out of proportion with the EotE fighters which all have Armor 3 except for the TIE/Ln's Armor 2.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 24, 2013

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Wanted a consensus on an issue we had with our last game. If a player has a talent that adds damage to a weapon, but they use two of those weapons to do a combined attack would the talent add the damage to each individual weapon or simply to the combined damage total? Example, if it was +1, would that be to each weapon or just +1 on top of the sum amount?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Wanted a consensus on an issue we had with our last game. If a player has a talent that adds damage to a weapon, but they use two of those weapons to do a combined attack would the talent add the damage to each individual weapon or simply to the combined damage total? Example, if it was +1, would that be to each weapon or just +1 on top of the sum amount?

Generally you can only get a bonus once unless otherwise stated. What talent specifically are you talking about? For instance if they were using jury rig they wouldn't get the damage bonus twice unless they specifically took two ranks of jury rig and applied them to two different weapons they were using simultaneously.

• Locked thread