Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
goddamn, they all look the same, with minor height & ride-height variations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
If Nissan and Cummins had a joint venture, would they call it the Cussin'? Or something far cruder?

MrChips posted:

No they are horrid, plus pretty much every Infiniti I've ever sat in has been festooned with details and flourishes that only a real estate agent could appreciate.

Ironic, my mother is a real estate agent and she drove one of those Infiniti Pathfinder badgejobs for ages

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Just call it a day and fold Infiniti back into Nissan. Retain the Skyline variants and the Fuga and drop everything else. Perhaps use more US/Euro-friendly model names.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Cream_Filling posted:

This is so loving retarded. First they pick the model letter with the least popular models and lowest name recognition

It's funny you say this because historically (since the brand's inception really) the Q45 was the only Infiniti anyone cared about or recognized. I would figure the choice of "Q" comes from the strength of the Q45 name.

It's weird that the Q was replaced by the M in recent years.

Hog Obituary fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Aug 21, 2013

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I think I'm the only person I know who doesn't have a problem with the new naming scheme. It's at least self-admittedly abstracted, rather than fibbing on displacement like ze Germans.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Infiniti hired some guy from Audi who thought it was a good idea to rename all their vehicles. So they did. Which is extra baffling because the G actually has some value as a brand.

The reason behind it is apparently to disguise the fact that they're going to be moving to smaller displacement engines. I've seen talk of a turbo 4 in the G37 replacement. So it will be a Q50 2.0T AWD or Q50 3.5 Hybrid AWD or something else equally dumb. Or maybe they won't list the engine and you'll have to guess?

Also, to add to this insanity, they're selling the G37 alongside the Q50 for the next year. And they're chopping several thousand dollars off the price. So the G37 will be more attractive to the consumer?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

AlmightyPants posted:

The reason behind it is apparently to disguise the fact that they're going to be moving to smaller displacement engines. I've seen talk of a turbo 4 in the G37 replacement. So it will be a Q50 2.0T AWD or Q50 3.5 Hybrid AWD or something else equally dumb. Or maybe they won't list the engine and you'll have to guess?

Still makes more sense than modern BMW - I guess the 1.6 and 2l line up but everything else is off

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

dissss posted:

Still makes more sense than modern BMW - I guess the 1.6 and 2l line up but everything else is off

in the diesels, they don't even do that! The x16d can sometimes be 2.0l, but also can sometimes be 1.6l. Basically BMW has 3 engine sizes, 1.6, 2.0, and 3.0. If the badge is x2x, you can be pretty sure it's a 2 liter. Or a 3 liter. Depending on the model range. If it's x1x, it's probably a 1.6l, or maybe a 2.0l. Probably one of those. If it's 5xx it's anyone's guess because their site won't even give me engine specs for that model. gently caress BMW.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
With BMW you can tell the body style and rough size by the first number (or letter and number) and everything after that is drivetrain/trim; their "even number=swoopier" scheme is silly but effective. The sports car Z4 gets a distinct name. Lexus, you know what LS/GS/IS/ES/GX etc mean and everything after that drivetrain/trim. Audi you know A is a car, Q is a ute, etc. The number indicates size of the sausage, the car might be sedan or wagon but if it's something weird like a TT or an R8 it's going to have a different name, like 'TT' or 'R8'.

With the Infinitis you have sports cars and luxosedans in the same naming scheme with just number differences and that's unnecessarily confusing. Also they sold approximately 23 Q45s so no one associates 'Infinity Q' with anything

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Infiniti rebadged everything as "Q whatever" as Q was the only letter that they had the trademark for all possible alpha numeric combinations. They're planning on introducing additional engine choices on each model so the current naming scheme of letter + engine displacement would no longer work. However, they ran into problems when letter and number combinations they wanted to use had already been trademarked; hence the re-brand.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

bull3964 posted:

I can't be the only one who finds current Infiniti styling horrid right? All their cars seem to be simultaneously melting while having suffered an allergic bee sting. Not a single attractive car in the bunch.

Every time I see one of these whales I'm amazed anyone would buy one on purpose

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It looks like a tapir with gills.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

It looks like a tapir with gills.

In white they legitimately look like a beluga whale.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I still like the Infiniti SUV that looks like a bionic cheetah.

Hell if I know what they're called now, probably starts with Q.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I see dozens of those huge Infiniti SUVs here in a week, there is a massive Infiniti dealership up the road.

One time I drove through my parent's neighborhood nearby and counted 7 QX56s.

They are weird and huge but I guess just getting an Escalade doesn't cut it anymore.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Anyone seen the Golf CC? http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2016-volkswagen-golf-cc-rendered-news

Looks like a Honda Civic to me.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

With BMW you can tell the body style and rough size by the first number (or letter and number) and everything after that is drivetrain/trim; their "even number=swoopier" scheme is silly but effective. The sports car Z4 gets a distinct name. Lexus, you know what LS/GS/IS/ES/GX etc mean and everything after that drivetrain/trim. Audi you know A is a car, Q is a ute, etc. The number indicates size of the sausage, the car might be sedan or wagon but if it's something weird like a TT or an R8 it's going to have a different name, like 'TT' or 'R8'.

With the Infinitis you have sports cars and luxosedans in the same naming scheme with just number differences and that's unnecessarily confusing. Also they sold approximately 23 Q45s so no one associates 'Infinity Q' with anything

I always wondered what IS was supposed to refer to at Lexus. I always imagined something like the following

LS = Luxury Sedan
GS = Grand touring Sedan
ES = Executive Sedan / Entry level Sedan
SC = Sport Coupe
CT = Compact Touring

with LX/GX etc deriving from that, but what the hell does the I stand for in IS? Is it just an attempt to resemble the trailing "i" on popular BMWs?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

blk posted:

I always wondered what IS was supposed to refer to at Lexus. I always imagined something like the following

LS = Luxury Sedan
GS = Grand touring Sedan
SC = Sport Coupe
CT = Compact Touring

with LX/GX etc deriving from that, but what the hell does the I stand for in IS? Is it just an attempt to resemble the trailing "i" on popular BMWs?

Maybe inline? The original IS came with inline 6 and 4 cylinder engines.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

blk posted:

LS = Luxury Sedan
GS = Grand touring Sedan
SC = Sport Coupe
CT = Compact Touring

I always wondered how they came up with these, the ES, GS, and IS particularly. Interesting Sedan?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
poo poo they prob just pulled them all out of focus groups and ran with it. Isn't the word/name "Lexus" completely made up?

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Kraftwerk posted:

Anyone seen the Golf CC? http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2016-volkswagen-golf-cc-rendered-news

Looks like a Honda Civic to me.

Jesus, it looks more Civic-esque than the Acura ILX. Which is a Civic.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Not a production Car, but the Camal tribute to the Maserati Granturismo is loving gorgeous

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Xguard86 posted:

poo poo they prob just pulled them all out of focus groups and ran with it. Isn't the word/name "Lexus" completely made up?

This might be apocryphal but I believe the brand "Lexus" was thought up when Toyota's marketing department realized they could make an abbreviation of "Luxury Export US" which was the goal of the whole project.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Cream_Filling posted:

Maybe inline? The original IS came with inline 6 and 4 cylinder engines.

That's what I always thought.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm getting a distinctly older mustang vibe from that, not a bad thing.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Augmented Dickey posted:

Jesus, it looks more Civic-esque than the Acura ILX. Which is a Civic.
Of course it does, because it's a picture of a Civic with VW badge. That's what "render" means.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Goober Peas posted:

I still like the Infiniti SUV that looks like a bionic cheetah.

Hell if I know what they're called now, probably starts with Q.

I liked the FX35/45 as well, unfortunately it's long discontinued. They were actually a lot of fun to drive for a small SUV (though in today's marketing-speak they'd be called a crossover). I don't think there's any sort of direct replacement or spiritual successor to them.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Nitrox posted:

Of course it does, because it's a picture of a Civic with VW badge. That's what "render" means.

It's a bit more than that.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

The Midniter posted:

I liked the FX35/45 as well, unfortunately it's long discontinued. They were actually a lot of fun to drive for a small SUV (though in today's marketing-speak they'd be called a crossover). I don't think there's any sort of direct replacement or spiritual successor to them.

Well according to that image on the previous page it's going to be called the qx70?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I'd like to get a QX80, get a personalized plate that reads "DON", drive it full tilt into a windmill and call it art.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Hog Obituary posted:

Well according to that image on the previous page it's going to be called the qx70?

Hell if I know... Their new naming convention really is confusing. Lincoln's is just as bad. I can't remember which one is the big one and which one is the smaller one.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

DropShadow posted:

Yeah, the greenhouse is different, as is the placement of the wing mirrors, and the rear end is completely different, down to having the exhaust outlet on the opposite side. Note that the shape of the C-pillar changes from the first to the second render.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

DropShadow posted:

Why even give a poo poo? It has absolutely no connection to the actual vehicle designed by manufacturer. It never does. But those artistic concepts usually draw commentary as if it's an actual product, giving them unneeded credibility.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

opengl128 posted:

Every time I see one of these whales I'm amazed anyone would buy one on purpose

Well at least you know what to buy if you need to tow a fully laden Soviet-era freight plane at low speeds for short distances

http://www.drivearabia.com/news/2013/08/22/nissan-patrol-2013-pulls-plane-to-set-new-record-sharjah-uae/

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The Nissan front end treatment works rather better than the Infiniti one.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

dissss posted:

Well at least you know what to buy if you need to tow a fully laden Soviet-era freight plane at low speeds for short distances

Still doesn't hide the ugly.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Still doesn't hide the ugly.

Eh the Nissan one just looks like a generic large SUV - not like a LC200 or LR4 or a Toureg are good lookers

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Throatwarbler posted:

New small BOF Ford SUV designed in Aus and built on the global Ranger frame.

So probably losing the Territory for that.

Fuuuuuuck.

I honestly have no idea why Ford didnt design the current Territory for LHD conversion - they are a ridiculously good wagon and you have to be Lindsay Lohan type dumb not to sell em by the boatload in the USA.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

dissss posted:

Eh the Nissan one just looks like a generic large SUV - not like a LC200 or LR4 or a Toureg are good lookers

IMO the Tahoe is the best looking truck-based big SUV. It's classy and still looks like it can do work as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Cat Terrist posted:

So probably losing the Territory for that.

Fuuuuuuck.

I honestly have no idea why Ford didnt design the current Territory for LHD conversion - they are a ridiculously good wagon and you have to be Lindsay Lohan type dumb not to sell em by the boatload in the USA.