Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

GreenNight posted:

Hey if anyone is trying to mess with GPO's and IE10, just spin up a quick 2012 VM and edit Group Policy from there. Your DC's don't need to be 2012, just edit GP from a 2012 box. I do it all the time.

It doesn't need to be a DC, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

It doesn't need to be a DC, right?

That is absolutely correct.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

pixaal posted:

So Friday I mentioned Barracuda not sending an RMA and a goon co-worker using a spare and getting shot down. Well Monday he called since the senior tech is now on vacaction. He planned to spend all day since he needed a new case number. He was on the phone with them for 5 minutes he just told them he was losing faith in the device.

They sent overnight, a newer model, AND a T-shirt. Free swag! My boss has demanded that he has to wear that shirt to work on Monday when the other guy gets back from vacation after wasting a week on the phone with them. So Barracuda doesn't seem so bad if you are nice but also just ask for an RMA. If you ever have to deal with them just mention email is too critical to run diagnostics on their hardware. (Still gently caress them for wasting a week of our time).

Now wait for the RMA to also be broken and the RMA for the RMA to not be broken but still not work properly even after someone from Barracuda spends hours configuring it for you (over the course of a week). Not that I have personal experience with that exact sequence or anything.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

GreenNight posted:

That is absolutely correct.

Thank you! For some reason everyone else that I've run into discussing this has mentioned that it does need to be (or I'm dumb).

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Galler posted:

Now wait for the RMA to also be broken and the RMA for the RMA to not be broken but still not work properly even after someone from Barracuda spends hours configuring it for you (over the course of a week). Not that I have personal experience with that exact sequence or anything.

It seems to be working fine. My boss was sick of the spam after we routed around it Friday. So we brought mail offline for a bit to get the Barracuda in place. I have gotten broken RMAs on person items before its a bitch to RMA and RMA they always talk to you like you are retarded and are just loving up on your end.

We should totally try and RMA the free shirt though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GreenNight posted:

Hey if anyone is trying to mess with GPO's and IE10, just spin up a quick 2012 VM and edit Group Policy from there. Your DC's don't need to be 2012, just edit GP from a 2012 box. I do it all the time.

We just rolled one of the DCs and the Terminal Server back to IE9. I don't think anybody really needed IE10 for anything.

Spinning up a VM would probably be doable since this place is already running a couple of servers on Hyper-V, but it's more trouble than it's worth right now.

EDIT: But wait, if it's not the DC how would that work? I know very little about server setup/environments outside editing GPOs and managing users.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

drat. I bet if this person spent half the energy doing their job instead of keeping track of how many times they had to clear a paper jam they'd be the loving CEO.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

skipdogg posted:

drat. I bet if this person spent half the energy doing their job instead of keeping track of how many times they had to clear a paper jam they'd be the loving CEO.

Under no circumstances can I piss this person off. Have you seen how they hold a grudge?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Inspector_71 posted:

EDIT: But wait, if it's not the DC how would that work? I know very little about server setup/environments outside editing GPOs and managing users.

Not sure exactly, all I know is that you need to open the GPO's in a 2012 environment. I spent a ton of time on this BS. My guess is that the 2012 server updates the GPO's. Just don't edit them in 2008 once you edit them in 2012.

I ended up making that VM into a WSUS and KMS server. Both work pretty great.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

redstormpopcorn posted:

Both places I work have an unofficial recommendation of not using a Microsoft OS until at least the first service pack or R2 is released. The little-desktop-that-could I snagged to play with wpkg was the first '08-R2 server in the building six months ago.

So that's why we have to put up with all this "R2" bullshit. :smith:

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

GreenNight posted:

Not sure exactly, all I know is that you need to open the GPO's in a 2012 environment. I spent a ton of time on this BS. My guess is that the 2012 server updates the GPO's. Just don't edit them in 2008 once you edit them in 2012.

I ended up making that VM into a WSUS and KMS server. Both work pretty great.

GPOs are just files. The editor is just a viewer for another kind of file that has descriptions and checkboxes and such to generate the file that is the GPO. You need to use the 2012 editor to make 2012 GPOs, because the 2008 editor doesn't have the same underlying structure files that contain the new 2012 options. That's literally it. The same thing happened with 2003 -> 2008 GPOs. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa374150%28v=vs.85%29.aspx for what I mean.

Mattress Man
Apr 3, 2009

:dukedog:
I've been doing hybrid sysadmin/helpdesk work at my company for 2 years. My requests for additional sysadmin duties have led me to moving filing cabinets, being the receptionist because the admin staff can't bother to show up (the best day being 5/6 called in with "migraines"), ordered to fix the fishtank when it obviously didn't have power, and my personal favorite: getting told "go deliver these sandwiches to the staff in our building across the street."

Also, gently caress printers. They finally let me get rid of a printer that had gone through no less than 8 fusers in less than 2 months. Any time you printed color to the stupid thing would jam and the solution was "just put another used fuser in it!"

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
It's mah birfday!

I brought rolls, sourdough rye bread, homemade honey, homemade blueberry jam, and butter for everyone in the building (~40 people today). Then I sneakily hung around the table when the crowd moved in and cornered the two biggest storage consumers. I almost didn't have to press them into accepting that I move 20 TB worth of random project files onto the slower, less expensive storage.

I also got the Fjällräven laptop bag I've been ogling for a while from my wife, and the kids made me drawings of colorful princess' houses and a four-armed monster fighting people in tanks. I could get used to days like this.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Crowley posted:

I also got the Fjällräven laptop bag I've been ogling for a while from my wife, and the kids made me drawings of colorful princess' houses and a four-armed monster fighting people in tanks. I could get used to days like this.

You can't post the bag and not the kids' pictures.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
And now we're into day two of lync not working, office 365 really is a loving joke.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

fatman1683 posted:

You can't post the bag and not the kids' pictures.

Left the drawings at home and took the bag to work so I could get paid while migrating crap between bags. I'll snap a few pictures when I get home.

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .

fluppet posted:

And now we're into day two of lync not working, office 365 really is a loving joke.

I feel for you, mostly because you probably have to hear the "Guess they should have named it Office 363 hurr :mmmsmug:" comments.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Urit posted:

GPOs are just files. The editor is just a viewer for another kind of file that has descriptions and checkboxes and such to generate the file that is the GPO. You need to use the 2012 editor to make 2012 GPOs, because the 2008 editor doesn't have the same underlying structure files that contain the new 2012 options. That's literally it. The same thing happened with 2003 -> 2008 GPOs. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa374150%28v=vs.85%29.aspx for what I mean.

This is 100% true, our schema is 2003 but we edit GPO's on 2008 R2 servers so we can use all the GPO settings that come with 2008. None of them are domain controllers either.

That's a project I'll need to take on eventually, retire two of our four DCs completely and replace the other two with 2008 R2 so I can up the schema.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Yeah we have at least one sending pretty nasty personal poo poo via company email. I don't get it, signing up for Hotmail or Gmail isn't exactly hard?

drukqs posted:

Woman ceases all work because her in-cube printer is out of Cyan and the $10,000 MFP 40 paces away is 39 paces too far.

This is unbelievably common, and I don't mean to be sexist but it's just a plain fact here: it's always women. They will get oddly obsessed with the idea of having their own personal printer. They're the same ones where if there's the slightest of problems even once, like one paper jam ever, that's it, they will then HATE that printer 4lyfe and bark out "I need a new one!" every time you go to help (often they can't get a page setup right) / replace a cartridge / etc.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Different strokes but I here I'm in a large area with the MFP, and it sucks to have people from other areas slamming open the door and thumping through to collect from it. Fortunately it's rare because they all have trusty HP b&w lasers on their desks. I assume it's only scanning and colour prints that bring them this way.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

They should probably change the placement of the MFP. Or making it more difficult to slam open the door.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Every time I see the acronym I think "Motherfucking Printer". :shobon:

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Our ISPs backup server poo poo itself apparently and they apparently had a field day last night

quote:

21:00 – The technician are trying to restore the backup server to a new platform and the new ETA is 23:00.
22:00 – Log-files are being restored. ETA moved to 24:00
23:00 – Due to software incompatibility issue we are forced to move ETR to 02:00
00:00 – Software incompatibility issue solved. Work to restore backup-server continues. ETR remains at 02:00.
01:00 - Work to restore backup-server continues. ETR remains at 02:00.
02:00 – Software patching in progress. ETR moved to 03:00.
02:55 – Data is being restored. ETR moved to 04:00
03:55 – Data restore still in progress. ETR moved to 05:00.
05:00 – Last stages of restore are being performed. ETR has changed to 07:00

Glad I wasn't the poor tech that had to deal with this.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

AcidRonin posted:

Oh my sweet baby jesus this. He will be known as the harbinger of the 2nd floor's wrath. People will see my puppy enter the mailroom and tremble with fear.

EDIT: boss came back and said all supervisory promotions come with a free puppy. This is of course sarcasm, any free puppy program would have been sequestered by now, but i still chuckled.

Okay, I've been jonesing for an update all night. Anything new on the puppy front?

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Crowley posted:

Every time I see the acronym I think "Motherfucking Printer". :shobon:

You mean that isn't what it stands for?

I'm getting sick of these MFPs in this MFO!

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The Sleeper must awaken...with a damn fine can of Georgia coffee.

GargleBlaster posted:

This is unbelievably common, and I don't mean to be sexist but it's just a plain fact here: it's always women. They will get oddly obsessed with the idea of having their own personal printer. They're the same ones where if there's the slightest of problems even once, like one paper jam ever, that's it, they will then HATE that printer 4lyfe and bark out "I need a new one!" every time you go to help (often they can't get a page setup right) / replace a cartridge / etc.

It's common with the male partners in my office. Short of HR/Internal Accounting the partners are the only ones with personal printers and they bitch up a storm if they have to leave their offices to get a print job.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

quote:

If the DM Server service account is selected on the Startup options and you are still getting DCOM errors, click OK on the Service dialog box and exit the Control Panel. Then reenter Control Panel>Services, click Startup, and click OK on the Service dialog box again. Sometimes just “reinforcing” the options on the Service dialog box can correct the problem.

How do I put "cargo cult server administration" on my resume?

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.

Belial42 posted:

It's common with the male partners in my office. Short of HR/Internal Accounting the partners are the only ones with personal printers and they bitch up a storm if they have to leave their offices to get a print job.

I don't know what the loving deal with this? I really could give two shits if I have to walk 20 steps to get a paper. The only people who should have printers in their offices are photo/graphic people... People are loving spoiled. When I'm in charge, there will be absolutely zero desk printers. If you want to print, print to one of the ones conveniently located around the office. I will also make it known that all that money will be used for Beer Fridays. Sales will not be invited.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The only reason we ever give a local printer to a user is if they are a manager and print confidential information. Even then, it needs approval from various folks. Our copiers are now setup where if a manager prints to it, they have to put in a password to get the job. There is no excuse.

A few people are pretty pissed off about this though, since it's my fault we removed all the local printers. I put together a spreadsheet on toner costs and well, no more local printers bitches.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
I have an office printer, but that's because the next closest printer is out the office, down a couple hallways, then up a flight of fire stairs, either that or leave the office, go outside, through the courtyard, through the lobby, around the coffee bar then through another hall. That's what happens when your office is the only one in its part of the building.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
Our accountant's printer died so I had to replace it. The replacement printer I got didn't flip the paper in the same orientation from input tray -> output tray, so she would have had to load cheques upside down to keep the sequential order they were in :supaburn:. I had to return it and get a new printer.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.

GreenNight posted:

The only reason we ever give a local printer to a user is if they are a manager and print confidential information. Even then, it needs approval from various folks. Our copiers are now setup where if a manager prints to it, they have to put in a password to get the job. There is no excuse.

A few people are pretty pissed off about this though, since it's my fault we removed all the local printers. I put together a spreadsheet on toner costs and well, no more local printers bitches.

It's no less secure to print to a common area if you get your fat rear end up and go get it. I print confidential/sensitive (not under DoD standards) information on the group printer all the drat time. I hit file, print, and go get it. Simple.

Don't print the report of everyone's salary and then walk around for the next 20 minutes chit chatting about the bachelor.

The CPP of a department/group printer can be $.01 or .02 for mono, you are looking at even the best desktop lasers are in the $.03 - $.04 range. Not to mention the fact that your $5,000-$10,000 printer is cheap for 100 users versus 100 $500 printers. Doubly so for opex.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Science posted:

I feel for you, mostly because you probably have to hear the "Guess they should have named it Office 363 hurr :mmmsmug:" comments.

More like Office 356, which is punny in more ways than one!

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

KennyG posted:

It's no less secure to print to a common area if you get your fat rear end up and go get it. I print confidential/sensitive (not under DoD standards) information on the group printer all the drat time. I hit file, print, and go get it. Simple.

Don't print the report of everyone's salary and then walk around for the next 20 minutes chit chatting about the bachelor.

The CPP of a department/group printer can be $.01 or .02 for mono, you are looking at even the best desktop lasers are in the $.03 - $.04 range. Not to mention the fact that your $5,000-$10,000 printer is cheap for 100 users versus 100 $500 printers. Doubly so for opex.

When you have to fulfill certain confidentiality requirements, this isn't all that easy.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

SEKCobra posted:

When you have to fulfill certain confidentiality requirements, this isn't all that easy.

"Printin' aint easy"

(Should probably be on that gently caress printers blingee)

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

SEKCobra posted:

That's when you get one of those RICOH monsters that holds your job in queue until you show up at the printer and scan your RFID tag.

Hey, do you want to stay in budget or do you want to be secure? :colbert:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

incoherent posted:

The user got a high end bespoken dell laptop? I like the network guy was like "known issue".

More like "this guy was told 3 loving months ago to have his computer reimaged and didn't do it"

Also turns out this guy is THE local IT for the site.

What was he hoping, that the first answer was wrong then someone at the helpdesk would be able to fix a corrupt build of a laptop?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

JohnnyCanuck posted:

That's when you get one of those RICOH monsters that holds your job in queue until you show up at the printer and scan your RFID tag.

Hey, do you want to stay in budget or do you want to be secure? :colbert:

That's basically what we use but with 4 digit passwords. We lease them though which isn't bad.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

We can just secure print to our MFPs. When you print you type in a 4-digit code and are given the opportunity to rename your document so that nobody sees you printing ricola_termination_final(2).doc or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

fluppet posted:

What the hells going on? We've never really had an issue with Lync.

• Locked thread