Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Yeah, mapping directives to XML seems to me like you're begging for issues down the track. You'll be hard coupling the presentation with the data source, and leaving yourself no flexibility for moderate changes.

Directives are best used as reusable DOM chunks & logic, not a direct data to presentation mapping.

Edit: Also you'll be unable to make proper use of Angular's data model because of the compile->link setup of directives.

The whole point of supporting JSON is it directly maps to a JavaScript object so it can be bound to the Angular scope. Even if you parsed the XML to something that literally replicated the XML tree in a JavaScript object, you'd still be in a much better position to properly make use of Angular features.

Maluco Marinero fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Aug 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars
Yea, I've been researching and a lot of those issues have persuaded me from going that direction. I think the best way for me to go forward is to utilize XSLT transforms to create my HTML structure before doing anything in Angular. I'm crazy swamped at work and haven't been able to work on this on the side lately but will hopefully have some progress in the next week or so.

Thanks for all the input and bouncing of ideas!

pr0metheus
Dec 5, 2010
What is a good way in nodejs to use server side javascript inside html?

That is I would like to execute some nodejs code inside HTML file before its served to the user, akin to how php and other server side languages do it.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Just use PHP if you really want to write PHP.

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
You could use NPP, but it's got a DOM (rather than in PHP where bits outside PHP tags are just strings).

Looks like it hasn't been updated for 2 years though.

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

pr0metheus posted:

What is a good way in nodejs to use server side javascript inside html?

That is I would like to execute some nodejs code inside HTML file before its served to the user, akin to how php and other server side languages do it.

Are you sure this is what you want? you don't want to write your node code as node code and then put the result of that code into some template?

pr0metheus
Dec 5, 2010
I would just like to evaluate some things on serverside and then inject them into HTML that I serve.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
So you want a templating engine? Mustache.js should work with node.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
Quick vexing question: I have a table where each row is clickable, but there can also be a button in the table row that needs to be clickable for a different function. If I just bind the event listeners, clicking the button also triggers the click on the row, which I don't want. I hacked around it by putting the row event listener on every cell except the one where the button is, but that isn't an ideal solution.

Is there a way to stop the button click from going through to the row as well?

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

Chenghiz posted:

Quick vexing question: I have a table where each row is clickable, but there can also be a button in the table row that needs to be clickable for a different function. If I just bind the event listeners, clicking the button also triggers the click on the row, which I don't want. I hacked around it by putting the row event listener on every cell except the one where the button is, but that isn't an ideal solution.

In the end of your button event handler, you could stop the event from propagating:

JavaScript code:
function(e) {
	...button click event code...
	e.preventDefault ? e.preventDefault() : e.returnValue = false;
}
It's necessary to check for the existence of preventDefault due to older versions of IE.

Bognar fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 21, 2013

Reality
Sep 26, 2010

Chenghiz posted:

You could put a listener on the table itself and see if the firing element is a button or if it's anything else.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Bognar posted:

In the end of your button event handler, you could stop the event from propagating:

JavaScript code:
function(e) {
	...button click event code...
	e.preventDefault ? e.preventDefault() : e.returnValue = false;
}
It's necessary to check for the existence of preventDefault due to older versions of IE.

Are you sure you didn't mean e.stopPropagation()?

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

Reality posted:

You could put a listener on the table itself and see if the firing element is a button or if it's anything else.

Yeah I'd do this, also because it's more efficient using bubbling than attaching individual events when the table has lots of rows.

E.g. in jQuery (untested)

code:
!function ($) {
    "use strict";
    var init = function () {
        $("table").on("click", "button,input,tr", function (event) {
            var $target = $(event.target);
            if ($target.is("button, input")) {
                // was button
                event.stopPropagation();
            } else {
                //assume row, allow propagation
                doStuff();
            }
        });
    };
    $(document).ready(init);
}(jQuery)

N.Z.'s Champion fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Aug 22, 2013

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

bartkusa posted:

Are you sure you didn't mean e.stopPropagation()?

Oops, yeah that's exactly what I meant. I even used the words "stop propagating" but wrote preventDefault :doh:.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
Oh dang, of course. Thanks for the help, I'll try that out today.

pr0metheus
Dec 5, 2010

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

So you want a templating engine? Mustache.js should work with node.

Thanks. That is what I needed! And it did work with node just fine!

pr0metheus
Dec 5, 2010
What is a good way to write an interface in JavaScript, and also to have an inversion of control (like Spring)?

That is I would like to have different implementations of same interface, and instantiate implementors of that interface at run-time with some sort of validation as well.

As I understand Javascript right now, I wouldn't need any formal interface specification. I would just create some objects that implement same methods and whoever consumes it will just have to rely that such methods exist, and I guess I could write my own validator to at least check that these methods exist before continuing to use instance. What would be the best practice here?

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Give a hug - save a life.
I think that people generally just use their code as validation, i.e. if your subclass implements the interface correctly then your test suite will pass, no exceptions will be thrown, etc.

pr0metheus
Dec 5, 2010

Stoph posted:

I think that people generally just use their code as validation, i.e. if your subclass implements the interface correctly then your test suite will pass, no exceptions will be thrown, etc.

Going off of that. What is a good testing framework for JavaScript, and specifically for testing something like this?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Why is it that when I use "window.open()" in a bookmarklet, I can't send any commands to the new window other than "close()"?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

gandlethorpe posted:

Why is it that when I use "window.open()" in a bookmarklet, I can't send any commands to the new window other than "close()"?

Probably because your popup is on a different domain than the script attempting to manipulate it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-origin_policy

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

peepsalot posted:

Probably because your popup is on a different domain than the script attempting to manipulate it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-origin_policy

Yeah, I figured that out after posting. Then I tried setting the new window so that the URL is the same as the parent. That worked, but only after I added a 3 second delay to let the page load. I'd rather not have this wait requirement, or at least have the script know when to execute the next step. I'm guessing I won't be able to insert an "onload" event.

All I want is for the array created by my bookmarklet to display text on a new page or in notepad.

EDIT: I'm fine with opening a new window, replacing the source code with the array, then using "View Source" to save a txt file. I just want to be able to replace the source of the new page as quickly as possible.

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 22, 2013

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Is anyone aware of a way to find the addresses of scripts loaded dynamically by other scripts like this:

JavaScript code:
jQuery.ajax({
	url: script_url,
	dataType: 'script'
})
From inside one of the scripts that's loaded that way? It doesn't seem to be creating script nodes for them and I'm not sure what else to look for.

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy
JavaScript code:
$("script").each(function() {
    var src = $(this).attr("src");
    doStuff(src);
});
Edit: Note that checking for which scripts have loaded is unreliable in almost all cases. Scripts can remove themselves from the document after being run. Also, scripts injected using innerHTML are in the DOM but not executed, so you would get a false positive. If you're looking for a specific script, it's best to check for some side effect of that script having loaded and executed (e.g. testing for window.jQuery).

Bognar fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 22, 2013

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Bognar posted:

JavaScript code:
$("script").each(function() {
    var src = $(this).attr("src");
    doStuff(src);
});
Edit: Note that checking for which scripts have loaded is unreliable in almost all cases. Scripts can remove themselves from the document after being run. Also, scripts injected using innerHTML are in the DOM but not executed, so you would get a false positive. If you're looking for a specific script, it's best to check for some side effect of that script having loaded and executed (e.g. testing for window.jQuery).

Also to my knowledge you can't know if the file has been ajax'd in and eval()'d.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

KARMA! posted:

Also to my knowledge you can't know if the file has been ajax'd in and eval()'d.

And that's apparently what I was trying to do :\

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy
Do you have control over how the scripts are being loaded? If so, try switching to something that actually loads the script element into the DOM.

JavaScript code:
var script   = document.createElement("script");
script.type  = "text/javascript";
script.src   = "path/to/your/javascript.js";
document.head.appendChild(script);

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

I do (sometimes), but changing that is playing with fire because it could affect about half of our customers, so I made a workaround that will hopefully not bite me in the rear end later :hurr:

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

pr0metheus posted:

Going off of that. What is a good testing framework for JavaScript, and specifically for testing something like this?

I'm a big fan of the Mocha framework with Chai matchers.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Ethereal posted:

I'm a big fan of the Mocha framework with Chai matchers.

Are there even any other realistic options? Mocha+Chai+Sinon seems to be what everyone uses.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Plorkyeran posted:

Are there even any other realistic options? Mocha+Chai+Sinon seems to be what everyone uses.

:eng101: JQuery and Ember.js both use QUnit to great success! Though you can of course use QUnit with Chai+Sinon too.

I've also seen Jasmine used... somewhere? It's definitely used in places that I cannot remember at the moment.

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

Plorkyeran posted:

Jasmine is used by plenty of people as well rather than Mocha/Chai.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

abraham linksys posted:

:eng101: JQuery and Ember.js both use QUnit to great success! Though you can of course use QUnit with Chai+Sinon too.

I've also seen Jasmine used... somewhere? It's definitely used in places that I cannot remember at the moment.

I'm using Jasmine for my offline storage library. (http://malucomarinero.bitbucket.org/johodb)

They're more or less increments of eachother from what I've seen, although I haven't had a good look to see which the most advanced of them all.

Maluco Marinero fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Aug 25, 2013

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003
I wish there would be more convergence in the JavaScript world. It'd be nice to have a few things that are standard like Connect and Express.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

pr0metheus posted:

At work we use vows in a heavy coffeescript environment with some custom code to make serial subtests easier to write. I didn't choose it but spent a year using it.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
I'm trying to link to a section of a webpage that is 'hidden' behind javascript. On this page, I'm trying to get directly to the information that displays when clicking "Rechthebbenden op kinderbijslag in het stelsel voor werknemers" and "Maatschappelijke veranderingen: een rijke diversiteit aan rechthebbenden - Jaar 2011" (trust me, it's a thrilling read if you know the language). Is this possible?

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

Jolan posted:

I'm trying to link to a section of a webpage that is 'hidden' behind javascript. On this page, I'm trying to get directly to the information that displays when clicking "Rechthebbenden op kinderbijslag in het stelsel voor werknemers" and "Maatschappelijke veranderingen: een rijke diversiteit aan rechthebbenden - Jaar 2011" (trust me, it's a thrilling read if you know the language). Is this possible?

1. Yes, but it will be a total mess. Since there are no useful attribute identifiers on the element you want to link to, my general strategy would be "make a bookmarklet that scans the DOM for elements with text that matches the exact text of this header (if there's a change in text/typo on either side – sorry, you are screwed until someone discovers the error). When the element is discovered, set the CSS of the next-adjacent node (which is hidden with JS/CSS) to 'display: block;'
2. Do the owners of this website know that their site is completely broken for anyone who has JavaScript disabled?

smug forum asshole fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 26, 2013

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

1. Yes, but it will be a total mess. Since there are no useful attribute identifiers on the element you want to link to, my general strategy would be "make a bookmarklet that scans the DOM for elements with text that matches the exact text of this header (if there's a change in text/typo on either side – sorry, you are screwed until someone discovers the error). When the element is discovered, set the CSS of the next-adjacent node (which is hidden with JS/CSS) to 'display: block;'
2. Do the owners of this website know that their site is completely broken for anyone who has JavaScript disabled?

1. Thanks! The link needs to be put into a Word doc, so I don't think a bookmarklet will work in there, though.
2. Probably not, but it's a government site so I'm already glad it works in certain conditions.

Jolan fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 26, 2013

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I don't do much javascript/front-end stuff, but I was watching Ember.js vs angular.js and at the start, the Ember guy talks about server-side programming adding "unavoidable latency" to web applications and touting Ember.js as a replacement. maybe I'm missing something but how exactly can you replace server-side code with a javascript library? Surely even if you use Ember to get data from the server, there will still be latency in displaying it, coupled with the fact that now you're using loving javascript to manipulate the data.

I can see the benefits of both those libraries when it comes to bindings, they both look quicker and easier to use than jQuery, but really what is their role in the grand scheme of things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

NtotheTC posted:

I don't do much javascript/front-end stuff, but I was watching Ember.js vs angular.js and at the start, the Ember guy talks about server-side programming adding "unavoidable latency" to web applications and touting Ember.js as a replacement. maybe I'm missing something but how exactly can you replace server-side code with a javascript library? Surely even if you use Ember to get data from the server, there will still be latency in displaying it, coupled with the fact that now you're using loving javascript to manipulate the data.

I can see the benefits of both those libraries when it comes to bindings, they both look quicker and easier to use than jQuery, but really what is their role in the grand scheme of things?

I think the idea was since the MVC is all on the client you can transition from state to state, viewer to viewer without the round trip time of the server pushing down the new HTML/JS page once the initial page view is done. (Assuming you're acting on the same model of course.)