Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

withak posted:

Google also apparently changed something over the last few months to optimize streaming by automatically stepping-down the resolution if the connection isn't fast enough, which also resulted in a bunch of buffering-related complaints. They also made it so buffering pauses once it gets far enough ahead of playback and restarts when playback starts to catch up.

They break up the video into fragments and stream a chunk at a time. It's not pausing, it's just done loading that part and it sometimes seems to have difficulty restarting the stream once you reach or get near that point.

It's honestly really annoying because my internet is mostly only capable of 480p, maybe 720p on a good day, but I used to be able to set something to full HD, let it buffer and come back to it in 20 minutes, now it will only buffer a minute or two at a time, and sometimes it will randomly drop me down to 144p despite my connection being fine. I didn't even know 144p existed on youtube until recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Anyone know how I can change the audio track used for a video that's being played in Chrome? I'm trying out my chromecast and I'm able to stream a local .mkv of mine that has two audio tracks - the second one is the DVD commentary and it seems that it's selected by default (or maybe it plays both at the same time and I only hear the second one?). Any help would be appreciated :)

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Are their any known issues with Chrome and memory leaks or something. It seems like when I have more than a few tabs open Chrome slows to a crawl, often accessing the hard disk stead for a minute at a time. I don't have any new extensions, no virus issues(that I've detected at least). Its really bizarre. Funnily enough when I open the Chrome task manager its often the SA tab that is using the most memory. I do run SALR and Fancy SA or whatever it's called. Anyone have any insight on this issue? My laptop is not bottom of the barrel computer either, its from the Asus Republic of Gamers line so web browsing shouldn't mess with it too much. I'm not using Chromium or anything like that. Just bog standard Chrome with a few extensions.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Firefox on the left, Chrome on the right...Is there any way to get Chrome to look less lovely and with less huge sized text? I'm running stable 28.0.1500.72 m and my desktop DPI is 111 (I'm using 2560x1440 monitors here at work).

This isn't an issue on my home machine.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Did you press the Zoom button by mistake? If you see a magnifying glass in the address bar, click it and press "Reset to default"

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

dpbjinc posted:

Did you press the Zoom button by mistake? If you see a magnifying glass in the address bar, click it and press "Reset to default"

Nope! Even the user interface elements look terrible:

I think it has to do with my custom DPI, but I can't seem to find anything to resolve it.

Ah, fixed it by disabling "Display scaling on high DPI settings":

fookolt fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 31, 2013

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I think the latest release of Chrome is causing my laptop to lock up. It usually happens while watching Youtube videos and the entire machine becomes unresponsive. The only thing I can do is manually shut it down and restart. I've gone back to using Firefox and haven't experienced any problems, has this been happening to anyone else? It probably just started in the last couple weeks or so. Microsoft security and malwarebytes haven't found anything, all drivers are up to date. :iiam:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Are there any usable non-Quicktime plugins for embedded audio? I have to deal with an interface that insists on embedding audio rather than offering a download link, but all Chrome (or Firefox) do is point me to Quicktime, where the Windows version hasn't been updated since 7 which was terrible even on my Mac. I really don't want "classic" Quicktime anywhere near my system if I can avoid it.

They're just simple WAV files that even the Windows 95 "Sound Recorder" app could play, so I'd expect Chrome to just give me something like the default HTML5 audio player, but apparently not.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I'm having problems playing Vine videos as well as Soundcloud and Bandcamp audio in Chromium. I'm on Linux Mint 15 and using Chromium version 28.0.1500.71 and the Adobe flash plugin. For Vine, I get the video thumbnail but it never shows me a play button or starts playing. For soundcloud and bandcamp, I click play but never get any audio. I have zero problems doing any of these things in Firefox, and I would switch except for the fact that Firefox has abominably bad scroll lag. Has anyone figured out how to make Chromium play well with these services?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

SouthLAnd posted:

I think the latest release of Chrome is causing my laptop to lock up. It usually happens while watching Youtube videos and the entire machine becomes unresponsive. The only thing I can do is manually shut it down and restart. I've gone back to using Firefox and haven't experienced any problems, has this been happening to anyone else? It probably just started in the last couple weeks or so. Microsoft security and malwarebytes haven't found anything, all drivers are up to date. :iiam:

I actually just came here to post something similar. My laptop has been locking up every now and then when downloading audio files through Chrome (I listen to a lot of podcasts) so I started downloading them through Opera and the problem stopped. Then I tried to download a .mp4 file earlier tonight with Chrome and once the download finished my laptop hardlocked. When I viewed the file itself however, it was fine :iiam::hf::iiam: Any advice?

E: I think it happened one time when I was using Vine but I don't use Vine so I can't say that lockup was related to these others.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 10, 2013

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Just switched over from Firefox today, and so far I love it. Aside from the fact that I can't keep anything open, it's great.

Seriously, though, this is bugging me much more than I thought it would. I've been going through bookmark app after bookmark app, and nothing lets me keep a persistent bookmark window open. Though I am digging SALR and Better History, this bookmark thing is really getting to me.

But I don't want to switch back to Firefox if I can help it, saying as it was a complete memory hog and often slow.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

J.A.B.C. posted:

Just switched over from Firefox today, and so far I love it. Aside from the fact that I can't keep anything open, it's great.

Seriously, though, this is bugging me much more than I thought it would. I've been going through bookmark app after bookmark app, and nothing lets me keep a persistent bookmark window open. Though I am digging SALR and Better History, this bookmark thing is really getting to me.

But I don't want to switch back to Firefox if I can help it, saying as it was a complete memory hog and often slow.
chrome://bookmarks/#1 then Pin Tab?

Marf Revus
Apr 20, 2010

Meh
Is there an add-on or a way to view offline (desktop) powerpoint presentations in the browser? I can view online powerpoints but if I try to open one I have saved it just downloads it.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

C-Euro posted:

I actually just came here to post something similar. My laptop has been locking up every now and then when downloading audio files through Chrome (I listen to a lot of podcasts) so I started downloading them through Opera and the problem stopped. Then I tried to download a .mp4 file earlier tonight with Chrome and once the download finished my laptop hardlocked. When I viewed the file itself however, it was fine :iiam::hf::iiam: Any advice?

E: I think it happened one time when I was using Vine but I don't use Vine so I can't say that lockup was related to these others.

I have gone back to using Firefox for the last week and my computer has not frozen since. I like Chrome a tiny bit more than FF, but it's enough to make me miss it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Let's talk about gifs on Chrome. Why does it seem like a large gif takes a minute to load while others takes maybe 3 seconds?

It's just so unusual, at least Firefox seems to load them all at the same speed (though I think they do this by having the gif only play once it's completely loaded).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Bigger files take longer to download.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

SouthLAnd posted:

I have gone back to using Firefox for the last week and my computer has not frozen since. I like Chrome a tiny bit more than FF, but it's enough to make me miss it.

Yeah, I just had another hardlock due to not realizing a webpage had an embedded Vine video so I might just switch to Opera full-time for now. What happened to you Chrome :(

Out of curiosity, what sort of computer are you finding these problems on? I'm using an ASUS laptop that's approaching 3 years in age, and someone told me that this model starts to have lockup problems after three years, but these locks happen in such specific, reproducible circumstances that I almost can't believe it's a hardware issue.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Yeah, I just had another hardlock due to not realizing a webpage had an embedded Vine video so I might just switch to Opera full-time for now. What happened to you Chrome :(

Out of curiosity, what sort of computer are you finding these problems on? I'm using an ASUS laptop that's approaching 3 years in age, and someone told me that this model starts to have lockup problems after three years, but these locks happen in such specific, reproducible circumstances that I almost can't believe it's a hardware issue.

Mine is a Lenovo laptop, also probably about 3+ years old. Win7 HP, i7-720QM, Geforce 240GT, 4GB of ram, and a 240GB HP (Sandforce 2281) based SSD that has been working great for several months now.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

A few weeks ago, whenever I open an image that's larger than my desktop resolution, Chrome doesn't seem to resize it properly. This is happening on multiple Win7 computers. Was there an update that broke this?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Does... does Chrome update anymore? I'm used to there being an update about every week or so and there hasn't been one for a month. I'm running 29.0.1547.57 currently.

Ganondork
Dec 26, 2012

Ganondork

Stare-Out posted:

Does... does Chrome update anymore? I'm used to there being an update about every week or so and there hasn't been one for a month. I'm running 29.0.1547.57 currently.

They just released version 29 yesterday. :ssh:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Well that was a sneaky auto-update, then. Never got a prompt to restart Chrome or anything.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
You don't really get prompts. I only get a traffic light colored menu icon. You may have just closed all your Chrome windows.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I check the update page (About Google Chrome) sometimes twice a day and after a big update there's usually some indication that it has updated and needs a restart, thought not a prompt as such.

In any case, the new drop-down address bar thing is weird and man, the address bar font is huge now.

Highest Llama
Apr 13, 2011

Stare-Out posted:

In any case, the new drop-down address bar thing is weird and man, the address bar font is huge now.

Came here to moan about this. How the hell did this thing make it to the Stable release? Even disabling the Instant Extended API flag wont fix it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Did they fix the error where your entire computer hardlocks if you try to download an .mp3/.mp4 through Chrome? Please tell me they did, it's incredibly annoying and prevents me from using Feedly at all in Chrome, and now Feedly is giving me a hard time in Opera too :(

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Stare-Out posted:

Well that was a sneaky auto-update, then. Never got a prompt to restart Chrome or anything.

That's the entire point, after a while you may see a little arrow on the menu button but you are never prompted.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Stare-Out posted:

I check the update page (About Google Chrome) sometimes twice a day and after a big update there's usually some indication that it has updated and needs a restart, thought not a prompt as such.

Oh thank god it's not just me. I had no idea where to begin with my search terms.

Guess I'm stuck with it though. :sigh:

Foiltha
Jun 12, 2008
Oh god the address bar font size. It's terrible.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Foiltha posted:

Oh god the address bar font size. It's terrible.

Wouldn't the beta people have the same reaction therefore making the developers change it back?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Stare-Out posted:

The tonne of whitespace left and right is odd, like Google wants to add some sort of preview snapshot with the highlighted link.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Will there ever be any use for apps other than just being a simple link to the website?

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Oh god the new address bar. I thought there was something wrong with Chrome yesterday but then I updated my version at work.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

So I guess this is the year of Linux On The Desktop, since none of the recent dumb Chrome UI things have ever appeared with Chrome on linux!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

SouthLAnd posted:

Mine is a Lenovo laptop, also probably about 3+ years old. Win7 HP, i7-720QM, Geforce 240GT, 4GB of ram, and a 240GB HP (Sandforce 2281) based SSD that has been working great for several months now.

Hey man, just wanted to let you know that I updated to the newest version of Chrome (29.0.1547.57 m) and 36 hours later I haven't had any hiccups with downloading .mp3 files. Get the newest version and let me know if that fixed your problems.

E: Oops, I clicked a direct link to an mp3 and got a hard lock, even after I closed the page. At least Feedly doesn't seem to be acting up anymore?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 25, 2013

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
I'm having a very weird problem with the latest stable version of Chrome (and the ones before that): for some reason when I login into tumblr, if I close the browser and open it again it asks me again for the credentials, whereas every other site works correctly remembering my sessions. I've checked the cookies and disabled every possible plugin but the problem persists.

Any idea on how can I fix it? I even put the tumblr domain itself as an exception for everything but it just refuses to work.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

On this latest version I've noticed chrome start blocking my taskbar on both of my Windows7 machines (It's set to auto-hide). Sometimes I can get it go back by closing it and reopening, or just switching to a different window, but not always. I also tried disabling "auto-hide the taskbar" and re-enabling. I know it started doing this the same time as the extra white space in the new address bar showed up.

Any ideas? All my google searches just bring up people saying to try the things I already have.

E: I'm on 29.0.1547.62 m and disabling all my extensions didn't change anything either.

Deeters fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 2, 2013

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"
Anyone know why the google chrome icon on my computer keeps getting replaced by the missing file icon? I have deleted and reinstalled chrome twice but on every restart of my computer it goes back to the missing file icon. When i click on it everything runs normally, its just a eyesore to look at.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Does anyone have a link to the Chrome extension that makes SA the old look without all the popup and popover windows everywhere? I reinstalled and I can't take it anymore. (Not the fancysa thing)

Philthy fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Sep 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Philthy posted:

Does anyone have a link to the Chrome extension that makes SA the old look without all the popup and popover windows everywhere? I reinstalled and I can't take it anymore. (Not the fancysa thing)

This? http://the-magi.us/sa.html