Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Seamonster posted:

Optimus means you're not running the dGPU unless you need it and you can force programs to use the integrated individually as required. I understand from the viewpoint of not wanting to paying for something you won't use but seeing as the MBA doesn't have a 1080p option, much less an IPS option, besides the extra size and weight, how could the T440s not fit your needs?
I'll admit it's pretty close and I'm not going to rule it out since I've been so excited about the drat thing. I'm also retarded and thought that it had an optical drive, so not having one's a bonus. If I play any games on it they won't need more than an HD3000, and I don't do CAD or anything like that, so the dGPU is a waste of space and cooling hardware.

I guess if that's my biggest gripe then I should just buy one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski

Hadlock posted:

The T400 is perfect for your needs then. A T410 uses an i3 or i5 processor which is at least a somewhat modern processor.

A netbook is like a Ford Fiesta or VW Polo, a notebook or laptop is like a jetta or 3 BMW series. A T400 or T430 is like a BMW 5 series.

I can only find a used version of that not guaranteeing battery life beyond 30 minutes, which seems a shoddy deal even at 199€. The cheapest new Lenovo's I could find were

Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 for 419€
Lenovo ThinkPad X131e for 469€
Lenovo ThinkPad® X201 for 399€, refurbished but with a new battery installed

Is anyone of these on par with/better than the T400 and a good deal in general or should I keep looking? I've got about a week to select one so I'm not in a hurry.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Why are the new Thinkpads all using Dedicated Graphics? I mean, it's the 730M right? Don't they already perform similarly to the Intel HD graphics integrated on those CPUs?

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 20, 2013

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

heiden posted:

I can only find a used version of that not guaranteeing battery life beyond 30 minutes,

Replacement batteries are both cheap and plentiful. When buying used you should always budget $20-$40 usd for a new battery.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Mutation posted:

Why are the new Thinkpads all using Dedicated Graphics? I mean, it's the 730M right? Don't they already perform similarly to the Intel HD graphics integrated on those CPUs?

Don't we only have spec. info on the T440s and (maybe) the x240? we might be getting ahead of ourselves by believing that all of them will have dedicated GPUs.

Also, I think that something is dying inside of me due to this waiting. Come on, Lenovo!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Mutation posted:

Not really. The 4200U/4500U on the T440s is only a 15W chip, and in the real world, once you budget out CPU + VR + Memory Controller you don't really end up with a whole lot left to give to the HD4400 to play with. The result is that in most applications the 4400 is only ~25% faster than the current HD4000. The 730M, while still only a mid-level card, usually is roughly twice as fast as the 4400. Mind you, the usual notes apply: the 4400 is still sufficient to play most older or indy games, and the 730M is still not powerful enough to play the latest AAA title maxed out. However, at double the power and packed along with 2GB of dedicated RAM (which is suddenly more relevant when you're talking about a platform that maxes at 12GB), it certainly serves a purpose.

For people looking to run without a dGPU entirely, I'd imagine a X-series refresh is in the works to take care of that particular niche--a dGPU would absolutely not make sense there. The other possibility is that the widely circulated HK add with all the stats and pricing isn't the end-all-be-all: it may simply reflect some "standard builds" and still allow you to customize it, potentially allowing you to drop the dGPU. Or customization may be basically gone in the quest to simplify production (heaven knows they could use some help in the order-to-delivery-time category) and the diarrhea of new model lines is meant to try to cover all their bases. :iiam:

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
I think the T440s has discrete graphics as an option partly to support 3 external monitors + 1 internal with its ultra dock. But also, it is more powerful.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

So it looks like the T440s comes with discrete graphics and no option for integrated. I don't want an optical drive/bay either, so how much longer am I going to have to wait for a T441s or X2 Carbon or whatever they're going to be called?

The T440s won't have an optical drive.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
Dell puts a beefy 2GB Radeon 8790M in the new Latitude.
So for everyone who plans to do some gaming, wants a good quality laptop which is not a Mac (or has a nipple mouse), this seems to be ideal.

I wonder if Lenovo goes for the pro graphics cards instead.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

shrughes posted:

The T440s won't have an optical drive.
I have no idea how I came up with that. They're all starting to blur together.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Boner Slam posted:

Dell puts a beefy 2GB Radeon 8790M in the new Latitude.
So for everyone who plans to do some gaming, wants a good quality laptop which is not a Mac (or has a nipple mouse), this seems to be ideal.

I wonder if Lenovo goes for the pro graphics cards instead.

Nice but I'd rather wait for the XPS 15 Haswell. I do like the massive honking battery in there though 97 wh holy balls thats alot of juice.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
I very much want a Thinkpad for my new laptop but the problem is I'm leaving the country on the 4th and I have to get it before then.

The customizable laptops made to order all would ship after I have already left so I have to choose from the laptops in the outlet.

I really wanted to get a fast processor but I'm kind of out of touch, is 2.6ghz going to be slow?

One option I've found was this one:
http://outlet.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/outlet_us/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?GroupID=445&Code=PB09T43-2342CTR

Do you guys think it's worth it to get a refurbished laptop?

If I sucked it up on the processor side here is a new one:
http://outlet.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/outlet_us/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?GroupID=445&Code=2394F1U

Lastly the i7:
http://outlet.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/outlet_us/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?GroupID=445&Code=R9YHMNB-2352CTR

I can't decide between these can I get some advice?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
What kind of work are you goign to use it for? Because a fast processor doesn't really matter for most things these days and even the cheapest i5 is faster than most previous gen chips.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

Cream_Filling posted:

What kind of work are you goign to use it for? Because a fast processor doesn't really matter for most things these days and even the cheapest i5 is faster than most previous gen chips.

I just want it to be good enough for CS/TF2 and I also do a bit of DJing so being able to handle Traktor would be nice.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My buddy ordered a Yoga from the outlet store on the 11th (sunday) and got it on the 20th, 9 days later. You might be pushing it a little on your window there. 9 days from today would be next friday, which only gives you two days wiggle room.

I play TF2 all day long on my i5 with the HD4000 and it gets about 90FPS with all the eye candy turned to max. The i5 Ivy Bridge mobile chip is stupid fast, it's about 10% faster than my i5-750 desktop.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Hadlock posted:

My buddy ordered a Yoga from the outlet store on the 11th (sunday) and got it on the 20th, 9 days later. You might be pushing it a little on your window there. 9 days from today would be next friday, which only gives you two days wiggle room.

I play TF2 all day long on my i5 with the HD4000 and it gets about 90FPS with all the eye candy turned to max. The i5 Ivy Bridge mobile chip is stupid fast, it's about 10% faster than my i5-750 desktop.

I really want to buy the Yoga, but there's just one too many compromises right now. How much money could they really have saved by not including a proper Intel Wifi card with 5 GHz support?

Welsh Rarebitch
Jun 5, 2011

heiden posted:

I can only find a used version of that not guaranteeing battery life beyond 30 minutes, which seems a shoddy deal even at 199€. The cheapest new Lenovo's I could find were

Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 for 419€
Lenovo ThinkPad X131e for 469€
Lenovo ThinkPad® X201 for 399€, refurbished but with a new battery installed

Is anyone of these on par with/better than the T400 and a good deal in general or should I keep looking? I've got about a week to select one so I'm not in a hurry.

The E330 is pretty good: solid battery life, relatively bright display, quiet and good upgradeability.
http://www.notebookcheck.com/Test-Lenovo-Thinkpad-Edge-E330-Notebook.82839.0.html

But definitely get this i3 Version with the HD4000 for the same price (but with smaller HDD and no OS, you can get Win7 for 30€ on ebay)
http://geizhals.de/lenovo-thinkpad-edge-e330-nzsalge-a869100.html

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Would this laptop be fine to be a primary computer for music, browsing internet, office products, no real gaming, media device, watching dvd's etc:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+...15#tab=overview

Would something else near this pricepoint be better?

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski

rabatz posted:

The E330 is pretty good: solid battery life, relatively bright display, quiet and good upgradeability.
http://www.notebookcheck.com/Test-Lenovo-Thinkpad-Edge-E330-Notebook.82839.0.html

But definitely get this i3 Version with the HD4000 for the same price (but with smaller HDD and no OS, you can get Win7 for 30€ on ebay)
http://geizhals.de/lenovo-thinkpad-edge-e330-nzsalge-a869100.html

Thanks a bunch, I'll go for that one then :)

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So I'm looking at getting a thinkpad at around the $800 range-looking at this currently http://shop.lenovo.com/barnesnoblegold/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/t-series/t430s/?sb=:00000025:0000375B: and wanted to get your guys' opinion on it. Gonna be used for work/remote desktop and watching movies.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Is it worth getting a 24 GB SSD to go alongside the 1 TB harddrive for the Lenovo Y410p? Or can I just buy a SSD off-brand and install it myself later?

I've literally never done poo poo with SSDs before, so I don't really know how it works. The main issue isn't the price, it's 40 bucks more, but it'll take more than 4 weeks to ship as opposed to one.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you can wait 3 weeks that laptop will get a 1080p screen and about 4 extra hours of battery life.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

The Iron Rose posted:

Is it worth getting a 24 GB SSD to go alongside the 1 TB harddrive for the Lenovo Y410p? Or can I just buy a SSD off-brand and install it myself later?

I've literally never done poo poo with SSDs before, so I don't really know how it works. The main issue isn't the price, it's 40 bucks more, but it'll take more than 4 weeks to ship as opposed to one.

I did the second option on my y410p. I replaced the 1 TB hard drive with a Samsung 840 SSD.

The hard drive is pretty easy to replace, but you'll have to remove the bottom paneling of the computer. I also bought a $12 hard drive caddy off ebay and installed the original 1tb into that, and replaced the DVD drive with the second hard drive. It works great.

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

Are the new Lenovos coming out for real in 3 weeks? Cause according to this thread they were suppose to be out June, July, early this month, and late this month or maybe October.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
The only guaranteed 100% accurate answer is "eventually".

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Hadlock posted:

If you can wait 3 weeks that laptop will get a 1080p screen and about 4 extra hours of battery life.

And an extra 300$. 40% sale ends today.

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

The Iron Rose posted:

Lenovo runs those sales literally every single week, it's a marketing tactic.

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Gophermaster posted:

Lenovo runs those sales literally every single week, it's a marketing tactic.

Another great marketing tactic by Lenovo is their outing of great, durable product in their Thinkpad line. Of course, they do come somewhat encumbered by software, but whatever.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

The Iron Rose posted:

Hadlock is probably talking to Naturally Selected. The y410p isn't getting a Haswell and 1080p upgrade, it already has Haswell.

Gophermaster is also right, I've been looking at the y410p since June, bought one in late July, and I've still never seen it not on sale. I got my 1600x900 model for $799.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah we posted at the same time. That said both of you should buy the T440s :getin:

That said it's hard to not buy a Lenovo not on sale, and even then the B&N site is typically cheaper. If you've been shopping for a laptop for more than a few days (and why wouldn't you? it probably represents a good fraction of your disposable income for a month) you'll see that same one go on sale again next week for about the same amount +/- $30. Consider that $30 the cost of making sure you get absolutely the best laptop for your dollar.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 22, 2013

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
So that Acer Chromebook is actually pretty nifty, I'm surprised how good of a Laptop it is for $130 and how many of my needs are being met with what is basically a web browser.

And then I installed Ubuntu on it for curiosity's sake and... Other than it desperately needing a Ram upgrade (which looks easy enough to do), it runs really well on it! Hell, it can play FTL!

edit: AND KILLING FLOOR.

double edit: Not like playing vidgames on it was something I was looking for, I just wanted to see how far you can push the hardware. And if it can play Unreal 2 engine games, it's much farther than I thought for $130.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 22, 2013

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
So since Noone responded I'm guessing the laptop I posted was garbage?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Have most companies stopped making 11-12" ultrabooks? I'm looking for the Haswell windows equivalent of the 11" MBA. This Vaio pro is okay, but I really don't need the HD screen.

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&productId=8198552921666566155

It's for a friend of mine. I showed her my MBA, but she want to stay with Windows, and I wouldn't want mess with bootcamp when she's actually looking for a windows experience.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mutation posted:

So that Acer Chromebook is actually pretty nifty, I'm surprised how good of a Laptop it is for $130 and how many of my needs are being met with what is basically a web browser.

And then I installed Ubuntu on it for curiosity's sake and... Other than it desperately needing a Ram upgrade (which looks easy enough to do), it runs really well on it! Hell, it can play FTL!

edit: AND KILLING FLOOR.

double edit: Not like playing vidgames on it was something I was looking for, I just wanted to see how far you can push the hardware. And if it can play Unreal 2 engine games, it's much farther than I thought for $130.

That's actually delightfully impressive; I would guess that FTL would be fine (even my 7 year-old Dell Inspiron running Ubuntu can play that), but Killing Floor? That's really cool for such a small and cheap product

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

fyallm posted:

It's a dell, it's a refurbished dell, and it's a 15" laptop with a 1366x768. It's like you didn't even read the OP.

Yes.

Posting the specs instead of a single link without any details would have helped.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

fyallm posted:

No, people in these megathreads just miss people sometimes.

I'm not a laptop guy, but it looks kind of bad to me. It is an Ivy Bridge based laptop which means it'll be more power hungry than the Haswell laptops being released, it has a TN panel from the looks of it, the resolution is 1366 x 768 on 14" screen, and it is refurbished so you'll be S.O.L. if anything happens. The keyboard and trackpad are probably bad too.

If these issues do not bother you, it is something to consider for $450, but there are still better options available.

You would be better served if you saved up more and bought one of these more expensive laptops. Or consider a tablet and accessories for the $400~$600 price range. A chromebook may also serve your needs.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

fyallm posted:

Would this laptop be fine to be a primary computer for music, browsing internet, office products, no real gaming, media device, watching dvd's etc:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+...15#tab=overview

Would something else near this pricepoint be better?

You'd probably be better off buying a cheap Chromebook, and then if you want to watch DVDs buying an external DVD drive. Total cost would be about $200, or you could skip the dvd player (who uses DVDs still?). According to a guy in the laptop thread, it can play FTL and Killing Floor (surprisingly) with no issues, so no "real gaming" but still pretty nifty for such a cheap package.

It's refurbished like the Dell that you linked to, but that's really not a huge issue for a laptop that's less than $200 to begin with.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 22, 2013

r3plica
Feb 29, 2008
I picked up the Samsung Chromebook today after wrestling with the idea of an ultrabook and realized 90% of my "laptop" time is web based. I already have a current desktop I built at the beginning of last semester, so there's really no need for anything fancy, and I am really liking it so far.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

QuarkJets posted:

You'd probably be better off buying a cheap Chromebook, and then if you want to watch DVDs buying an external DVD drive. Total cost would be about $200, or you could skip the dvd player (who uses DVDs still?). According to a guy in the laptop thread, it can play FTL and Killing Floor (surprisingly) with no issues, so no "real gaming" but still pretty nifty for such a cheap package.

It's refurbished like the Dell that you linked to, but that's really not a huge issue for a laptop that's less than $200 to begin with.

Aren't you paraphrasing out of context? The guy with the chrome book seems to be talking about doing these things on Ubuntu which requires less overhead for the OS than windows. The guy you are replying to linked a windows computer...

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

VulgarandStupid posted:

Aren't you paraphrasing out of context? The guy with the chrome book seems to be talking about doing these things on Ubuntu which requires less overhead for the OS than windows. The guy you are replying to linked a windows computer...

So? Linux would satisfy all of his needs and doesn't add anything to the cost of the computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Hadlock posted:

It's a dell, it's a refurbished dell, and it's a 15" laptop with a 1366x768. It's like you didn't even read the OP.

Yes.

Posting the specs instead of a single link without any details would have helped.

I did read the OP, it said some dells were awesome machines, some were tupperware trash.. I own a dell desktop and dell monitor and they own bones and have been going strong forever so thats why i asked. I didnt understand the screensize code chart in the OP so i asked, plus in the OP it states 'Generally, for typical content consumption, 1366x768 is acceptable' ... So i don't understand your comment about the resolution here..

Tried the tablet route in that thread but they said not to go that route if wanted to watch dvds. Don't really want to go with a chrome book.

Didn't really like the look of the lenovo's but i guess i will go the t430 route and upgrade the display once its gets back into the mid $600~s thanks