Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

iForge posted:

Way too many of these driving around this area....

I see these in Berkeley constantly...also I just saw my first PT Cruiser convertible...with the top down. I could not stop laughing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
Berkeley, Asheville, Boulder, Ithaca, etc. All riddled with mid-90s Mazda Proteges, Honda Civics and Nissan Sentras covered in liberal cause bumper stickers.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Polymerized Cum posted:

Berkeley, Asheville, Boulder, Ithaca, etc. All riddled with mid-90s Mazda Proteges, Honda Civics and Nissan Sentras covered in liberal cause bumper stickers.

You know every single one of those cars is maintained like poo poo too.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Snowdens Secret posted:

A reminder that the contemporary 'European piece of crap' that stereotype was based on was some paragon of safety like a Deux Chevaux, MG, Fiat or very generously something like a Peugot 204. All cars that if surviving to present-day would crumple like tinfoil if you taped a note to them written in Impact font

While this is true, I've heard it referring to modern cars as well. People are really convinced that those old tanks are better because "they're not totalled after a 15 mph crash." Which is true, but those crumple zones save your rear end in a 30+ mph crash.

They also think trucks are inherently safer than small cars which, well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i5EmJBaGeQ

A contemporary Civic for comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4cCrHeVs_s

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

trouser chili posted:

You know every single one of those cars is maintained like poo poo too.

The rust is what's holding them together in Ithaca, that's for sure.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

So about those blindspots...

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

88h88 posted:

CX9 racecar

"Why don't you put your talk where your mouth is!"

"I showed under my hood!"
"It's a dirty V6 Mazda motor"

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Valt posted:

I guess the real question becomes how hosed up do you have to be to drive down a median at what looks like 60 plus. With a trailer in tow no less.

I know I'm late to the party on this, but he's also drat lucky that the trailer and/or the riding mowing on it (that comes loose through the jump) didn't come through the back window at him...

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Saw this on the way back from buying school books. It's a Chevy Colorado.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I see these in Berkeley constantly...also I just saw my first PT Cruiser convertible...with the top down. I could not stop laughing.

The drivers of those things are particularly bad, and especially around this time of year where all the clueless helicopter parents are wandering aimlessly around.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Night Danger Moose posted:

Is that at least the V8 model and not an I4/I5?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I saw something similar to that at the dragstrip last weekend. The guy ran around 17 seconds in the quarter mile. I guess no one told him smoke tunes don't make you faster.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Night Danger Moose posted:

Somebody call fuzzkill...

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mooseykins posted:

Looks like east Asia, going by the oriental writing on the tanker body in one pic.

That looks like the old Mercedes-Benz concept truck.

Colani:
http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2006/12/concept-truck-by-luigi-colani.html

seriously "oriental" writing, might as well call em drat celestials

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

I thought that dude was going to be reported dead, holy hell that is amazing.

Also I find it humorous that the officer taking pictures is taking it off of the guys trailer that wrapped around towards the front of the truck.

Bone_Enterprise fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 22, 2013

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Fucknag posted:

Seriously, this is an even more vivid demonstration than that vid from a few years back where they filmed an offset crash between an 09 Malibu and a 59 Bel Air.

I wish they would have left the engine and transmission in the 59 so it would be an actual worthwhile test. The people in the Bel Air would be dead regardless, but it sure would have done a lot more damage to the Malibu. The test ended up being more like "here is what happens when you put some thin sheet metal in front of a full weight 2009 Chevrolet at speed"

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

BoostCreep posted:

I wish they would have left the engine and transmission in the 59 so it would be an actual worthwhile test. The people in the Bel Air would be dead regardless, but it sure would have done a lot more damage to the Malibu. The test ended up being more like "here is what happens when you put some thin sheet metal in front of a full weight 2009 Chevrolet at speed"

The car had it's engine and transmission intact and was in drivable condition.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/18/more-details-about-1959-bel-air-crash-test/?_r=0

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.
And the video, for those of you who haven't seen it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtxd27jlZ_g

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Mooseykins posted:

Looks like east Asia, going by the oriental writing on the tanker body in one pic.

That looks like the old Mercedes-Benz concept truck.

Colani:
http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2006/12/concept-truck-by-luigi-colani.html

It also looks like the vehicle from the 80s show Highwayman. I miss 80s special vehicle shows..:blush:

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

`Nemesis posted:

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/18/more-details-about-1959-bel-air-crash-test/?_r=0

Fair enough.

Though I'd argue that car WAS museum quality.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

`Nemesis posted:

But just the 235 straight 6. If they'd used one with the 348 that'd be a completely story.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

joat mon posted:

But just the 235 straight 6. If they'd used one with the 348 that'd be a completely story.

Actually I'm guessing not, according to this page the curb weights of the 6 and 8 cylinder Bel Airs were nearly identical. Those old I6s were built like tanks, not a whole lot lighter than the V8s of the day.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Fucknag posted:

Actually I'm guessing not, according to this page the curb weights of the 6 and 8 cylinder Bel Airs were nearly identical. Those old I6s were built like tanks, not a whole lot lighter than the V8s of the day.

But the 348 was a BIG BLOCK! It was used in TRUCKS! A truck would totally crush a 2009 Malibu!

Ulfhednar
Dec 16, 2006
Blood for the Blood God!
I was looking for a particular image that I took a long time ago, but couldn't find it. I found a few other things, but not what I was looking for in my folder full of old phone photos. Not terrible cars, per se, but bad things happening to good cars.

:C

I was nearly rear-ended turning onto a road named N. Bacon Rd. trying to take a shortcut to a nearby airport, and it only went about 150ft before you come across this:

The subtitle for this is my favorite part of the auction on ebay, it's a Rare Aztec 7 Fiberfab Replica Kit Car VW Ferrari Bertone Carabo Alfa Romeo Lambo

It had 21 bids, so maybe it's not that bad...

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

iForge posted:

Way too many of these driving around this area....

I read the stickers and thought 'Maybe Seattle or Portland, but most likely somewhere like Berkeley' before I actually looked for the plate. And yeah, probably poorly maintained, even worse than caravans with a 'Global Warming: It's The Sun, Stupid!' sticker.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

Slim Pickens posted:

I read the stickers and thought 'Maybe Seattle or Portland, but most likely somewhere like Berkeley' before I actually looked for the plate. And yeah, probably poorly maintained, even worse than caravans with a 'Global Warming: It's The Sun, Stupid!' sticker.

Any car with bumper stickers is obviously not cared for by the owner but the difference between extreme left and extreme right wing sticker cars is that the kind of people who put right wing stickers on their car neglect it and the left equivalent actively hate cars & want them to die.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Koirhor posted:

seriously "oriental" writing, might as well call em drat celestials

Oriental is not considered offensive here.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Ulfhednar posted:

I was nearly rear-ended turning onto a road named N. Bacon Rd. trying to take a shortcut to a nearby airport, and it only went about 150ft before you come across this:

I really hope you drove up and around it on the open spot to the left, because gently caress that.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Is it a private road?

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Obviously they had to do that because a zillion people were using their neighborhood as a through street to get to the airport. Not a problem if you have a motorcycle, though.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

BoostCreep posted:

Fair enough.

Though I'd argue that car WAS museum quality.

I would think a museum quality piece should not erupt in a cloud of dust upon impact. What I really wish is that they used a more traditionally-framed car from the era. The X-Frame is rather unique and the design of it strikes me as something that would perform particularly bad in an offset crash.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

I always feel a little bad for the people that drive these (and RedBull cars, etc.) for a living. You know it's not something they ever thought they'd be doing and just want to die.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

DropShadow posted:

I always feel a little bad for the people that drive these (and RedBull cars, etc.) for a living. You know it's not something they ever thought they'd be doing and just want to die.

I say this same thing about people who work in HR. :suicide:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

DropShadow posted:

you've obviously never met a sales rep.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I dunno getting paid just to drive a goofy rear end (brand new) car doesn't sound that bad. I was under the impression these people are given the car to use as a daily driver? I'm sure there's some kind of minimum miles clause though so maybe if you don't drive enough you just have to get out onto the highway and drive somewhere but otherwise it's not that bad for a car that's completely paid for by Red Bull or Pepsi or something as long as you have no shame.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DropShadow posted:

One of my coworkers from a few years back drove a Red Bull X-90 around to local events. He made the absolute minimum wage but got all the Red Bull he wanted. He always had at least 30 cans in his fridge. It was an absolute poo poo job but one day he rolls up in a lifted black & green Avalanche, hops out, smiles and says "I got promoted to Monster."
So I guess those small lovely cars are entry level.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

DropShadow posted:

Nah, have you ever seen the people who drive these? Especially the Redbull ones, they're usually hot rear end college chicks handing out free poo poo.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

DropShadow posted:

Pretty much what veedub said I think. All the Red Bull people I've seen handing cans at my university have been hot girls, and it seems like a very low-stress thing, considering that most uni students like free stuff and Red Bull, making free Red Bull a very easy "sell". Raises brand presence, they make money, uni students get free Red Bull. The Minis they use don't even look particularly ugly.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
Saw this driving into work yesterday. Possibly the only acceptable use for the pink Texas plates I suppose.

For those too lazy to click through to bigger, the plate reads 'PANTHR'. I thought the Panther platform was a completely different car/manufacturer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Kill-9 posted:

Saw this driving into work yesterday. Possibly the only acceptable use for the pink Texas plates I suppose.

For those too lazy to click through to bigger, the plate reads 'PANTHR'. I thought the Panther platform was a completely different car/manufacturer.

Yes but I think they might be going for pink panther perhaps.