Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neep
Jan 2, 2003

Terrorist is Prohibited!!!
Found this on Jason Aaron's twitter: http://www.amazon.com/Punisher-Max-...unisher+omnibus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Great, now just re-release the drat Ennis one.

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011
Saw this today http://www.amazon.ca/dp/0785185712/ and got my preorder in, with this and Hickman's Fantastic Four coming out my big two "runs I most want omnibused" are done.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Great, now just re-release the drat Ennis one.

Probably not until we see a new film/tv appearance.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I don't think this was mentioned here, but I'm excited for The Colossal Conan, which collects issues 0-50 of Busiek's Conan run. I have heard good things and now apparently I will have the option of reading all of it, assuming Dark Horse doesn't suck at omnibuses.

I'm also confused as to why Chew needs an Omnivore edition (10 issues each) along with a Smorgasbord edition (20 issues each). That just seems...kinda silly.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't think this was mentioned here, but I'm excited for The Colossal Conan, which collects issues 0-50 of Busiek's Conan run. I have heard good things and now apparently I will have the option of reading all of it, assuming Dark Horse doesn't suck at omnibuses.

I'm also confused as to why Chew needs an Omnivore edition (10 issues each) along with a Smorgasbord edition (20 issues each). That just seems...kinda silly.

Dark Horse has done really well with Hellboy and BPRD.
Chew is just that good.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
Is it time to be an android not a man

GrandpaPants posted:

They are following The Walking Dead publishing format to a T, and successfully at that.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Yessss.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Just finished volume 8 of Invincible and I'm wondering if anyone knew if Kirkman was planning to end Invincible anytime soon, or was he going to "make it last as long as possible" like Walking Dead.

Also, is the Wolverine Adamantium Collection worth the $100 asking price? I'm not into "older" Wolverine stuff (90s or older, can't stand the art) but it seems the collection is *just* older stuff?

obi_ant fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Aug 21, 2013

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

obi_ant posted:

Just finished volume 8 of Invincible and I'm wondering if anyone knew if Kirkman was planning to end Invincible anytime soon, or was he going to "make it last as long as possible" like Walking Dead.

Also, is the Wolverine Adamantium Collection worth the $100 asking price? I'm not into "older" Wolverine stuff (90s or older, can't stand the art) but it seems the collection is *just* older stuff?
It's a bit of an odd collection...It's mostly older stuff, but it has Aaron/Bachalo's first 3 issues of WatX, which are great, and one issue of Millar's run, along with Origin.

I'd nearly say the older stuff is better than the more recent issues in the collection, but it's a weird mix of stuff.

- Barry Windsor-Smith's Weapon X story (which first revealed details about what had been done to Logan)
- The Claremont/Miller mini-series from the 80s which is fantastic (you can surely stand Frank Miller art)
- 3 fairly random issues (but pretty great) of X-Men which focused on Logan. #162 is the first part of a Brood storyline, but it's all from Logan's perspective. #205 is a pretty great standalone issue with Barry Windsor-Smith art. #268 I think was a Wolverine/Cap/Black Widow standalone story set in WW2 with Jim Lee art.
- I haven't read the Wolverine Vol. 2 issues, #75 was part of Fatal attractions when he had his adamantium ripped out, I'm not sure about #119-122.

I'd probably say it's not worth it just because, in some ways, it's such a weird mix of content covering Logan's history, as opposed to a complete story or run.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

obi_ant posted:

Seems like the only stories worth reading in the Adamantium edition are the "old" ones so you probably shouldn't spend $125 on a gimmicky, scattershot book.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
This time, I may have gone too far:

I also picked up a bunch of the (surprisingly lengthy!) Silver Sable run for nearly nothing, and well, they needed a home:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

redbackground posted:

Well, that certainly makes for a more satisfying book burning, but it seems like a bit too much effort for that.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
Coming in 2014 from DC

Doom Patrol Omnibus and Absolute ASBAR are on the way, and in the "oh loving finally" department:

Batman by Doug Moench and Kelley Jones Vol. 1

Spectre Vol. 1: Crimes and Judgements

Inkslinger
May 23, 2001

Usually I'm okay with creator-centric collections, but it's highly annoying that the JSA Omnibus starts with #6. That's like getting a DVD collection of a TV series that doesn't include the pilot episode setting everything up.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Interesting they're coming out with a Catwoman by Brubaker volume 3, with the previously-uncollected #25-37.

I have always been a fan and vocal proponent of his run of #1-24, with artists like Darwyn Cooke, Brad Rader, and Cameron Stewart, and own the original four TPBs that collected these issues. I don't know why DC never collected the rest (oh yeah, the monkeys in the Collected Editions Department), but are they actually any good? I know they went for more of a "house style" with artists like Paul Gulacy (which did not appeal to me as much), but did the overall quality of Brubaker's run continue?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Inkslinger posted:

Usually I'm okay with creator-centric collections, but it's highly annoying that the JSA Omnibus starts with #6. That's like getting a DVD collection of a TV series that doesn't include the pilot episode setting everything up.

So, just like Twin Peaks for a very, VERY long time.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of creator-centric collections, do the three Walt Simonson FF Visionaries TPBs compile his whole run or is it an incomplete set? I've read the Waid run and the first half of Byrne's run and I liked them, and I've heard good things about Simonson's FF, so I've been thinking of checking them out.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shameless posted:

Spectre Vol. 1: Crimes and Judgements

I'd get excited but this is DC we're talking about. There will be a delay of a year, one volume, and then we never hear of it again.

Also, how the gently caress do you do Absolute All Star Batman and Robin? Let's wait for Frank Miller to finish it first. :v:

Hey, Showcase Presents The Atomic Knights is back on the schedule and there's a possible Captain Carrot Showcase! I'll be getting those.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I'd get excited but this is DC we're talking about. There will be a delay of a year, one volume, and then we never hear of it again.

This is probably very true :(

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Shameless posted:

This is probably very true :(

We will get it when the soft cover of Starman Omnibus 3 comes out.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

We will get it when the soft cover of Starman Omnibus 3 comes out.

They have to finish printing Suicide Squad volume 2, first.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes
That would be nice.

redbackground posted:

I also picked up a bunch of the (surprisingly lengthy!) Silver Sable run for nearly nothing, and well, they needed a home:

Has anyone (here or over at the Marvel Masterworks board) cracked the puzzle of getting books this good in the UK? I got three done by Hollingworth and Moss a few years back, but one was returned with a few pages loose (admittedly, I did try and fit 33 issues in one book, so I was probably asking that). On top of that, they were no-where near as pretty as this, and a good deal more expensive. £33 each, plus p&p.

Anyone had better experiences? Or cheaper experiences?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Metal Loaf posted:

Speaking of creator-centric collections, do the three Walt Simonson FF Visionaries TPBs compile his whole run or is it an incomplete set? I've read the Waid run and the first half of Byrne's run and I liked them, and I've heard good things about Simonson's FF, so I've been thinking of checking them out.
They do collect everything, yes. Grab 'em!

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

redbackground posted:

They do collect everything, yes. Grab 'em!

Or wait for the recolored trades to finish.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Glenn Danzig posted:

Or wait for the recolored trades to finish.
What recolored trades?

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

I see JLA Deluxe Hardcover Vol. 5 will be out next year. Any idea when Vol 4 will be in TPB? I have 1-3 in TPB< and I have having my collection switch between hard and soft backs.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

redbackground posted:

What recolored trades?

Solicited in April:

THOR BY WALTER SIMONSON VOL. 1 TPB
Written by WALTER SIMONSON
Penciled by WALTER SIMONSON
Cover by WALTER SIMONSON
Few people have ever left their mark on one character quite the way Walter Simonson has. His work on the Mighty Thor swept the Norse God of Thunder to heights never before seen and rarely achieved in his wake. Spanning epic tales of heroism and treachery, love and war, Simonson’s work is often considered the definitive Thor. From the majesty and mystery of fabled Asgard to the gritty streets of New York City, Thor was never the same. That is the mark of a true visionary. This first volume begins the collection of Simonson’s epic run — completely remastered from the original artwork and newly colored by Steve Oliffe! Collecting THOR #337-345.
232 PGS./Rated T ...$24.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-8460-7

Volume 2 was solicited in June and volume 3 was solicited in August.

Glenn Danzig fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 26, 2013

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Glenn Danzig posted:

Solicited in April:
But, we were talking about Fantastic Four.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As it happens, I've been looking at those Thor TPBs as well, since the chances of finding an affordable omnibus seem increasingly remote.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

redbackground posted:

But, we were talking about Fantastic Four.

damnit.

solidrooster
Apr 8, 2009

Brocktoon posted:

I see JLA Deluxe Hardcover Vol. 5 will be out next year. Any idea when Vol 4 will be in TPB? I have 1-3 in TPB< and I have having my collection switch between hard and soft backs.

JLA Vol. 5 will be going straight the TPB, not HC.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

solidrooster posted:

JLA Vol. 5 will be going straight the TPB, not HC.

Looks like there's this coming in February: JLA Vol 4, but the description says it only has 36-41. I guess the paperback won't have Earth 2 and JLA Classified 1-3 like the hardback does? :smith:

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Brocktoon posted:

Looks like there's this coming in February: JLA Vol 4, but the description says it only has 36-41. I guess the paperback won't have Earth 2 and JLA Classified 1-3 like the hardback does? :smith:

This page says 32-46 but I don't think it's been officially solicited yet (might be mistaken though)

I think there's a new Deluxe version of Earth 2 coming out as well.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This Just popped up in my recommendations on Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/ksxyx2l

The only AvX tie ins I already have are from WatX so the amount of "new" material here (plus a collected AvX babies) is tempting. With that said, I have no idea of the quality of everything else in the book. Does anyone here have it (or the relevant issues)? If so, how are they?

On a side note, does anyone know if Marvel is planning to release an oversized volume 2 for Waids run on Daredevil? I enjoyed the first one but in order to continue collecting, I'll have to go to vol 3 in the trades. While I've collected a series in multiple formats in the past (hello Journey into Mystery) the lack of a vol 2 on my shelf is going to be a constant bother.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nyeehg posted:

This Just popped up in my recommendations on Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/ksxyx2l

The only AvX tie ins I already have are from WatX so the amount of "new" material here (plus a collected AvX babies) is tempting. With that said, I have no idea of the quality of everything else in the book. Does anyone here have it (or the relevant issues)? If so, how are they?

That looks interesting. That would include all of the tie-ins, wouldn't it? I only have the core miniseries and the tie-ins I've seen look a bit skinny.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Nyeehg posted:

On a side note, does anyone know if Marvel is planning to release an oversized volume 2 for Waids run on Daredevil?

It was solicited last week. Should drop in November.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=47327

quote:

DAREDEVIL BY MARK WAID VOL. 2 HC
Written by MARK WAID & GREG RUCKA
Penciled by MARCO CHECCHETTO, CHRIS SAMNEE, KHOI PHAM & MIKE ALLRED
Cover by CHRIS SAMNEE
Mark Waid’s epic re-invigoration of the Man Without Fear continues! Daredevil and Spider-Man form a shaky alliance with not one, but two Punishers to obtain the invaluable Omega Drive — which contains the information needed to dismantle an international criminal network. But the plan goes pear-shaped when one hero betrays the group! Then, Daredevil undergoes urgent brain surgery as size-changing scientiest Hank Pym enters his head to destroy sensory-deprivation robots implanted by Dr. Doom. But Daredevil’s recovery hits a snag when he starts to question reality. His best friend, Foggy Nelson — believing Matt is losing his mind, and that he presents a danger to himself and others — dissolves their law partnership…and their friendship! Ghosts from Daredevil’s past return to haunt him in a mind-bending adventure that leaves him second-guessing his sanity as he faces off against dangerous new villain the Coyote. Collecting DAREDEVIL (2011) #11-21, AVENGING SPIDER-MAN #6 and PUNISHER (2011) #10.
296 PGS./Rated T+ …$34.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-8479-9
Trim size: oversized

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Does Marvel still come out with the OSHCs for Avengers and New Avengers? Any thoughts when one will be out for Hickman's work?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

StumblyWumbly posted:

Does Marvel still come out with the OSHCs for Avengers and New Avengers? Any thoughts when one will be out for Hickman's work?

I'd expect we'll see one of 1-18 of Avengers eventually. Don't know about New Avengers since it will be steeped in Infinity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Shameless posted:

It was solicited last week. Should drop in November.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=47327
Oh nice! I've been wondering this myself. I have all the singles (more or less...I think I'm missing #2 and #7), but I bought the first hardcover because it has been such a great run, and it looked like a fantastic edition (it is). I'm glad they're bringing out a 2nd volume.

Rhyno posted:

I'd expect we'll see one of 1-18 of Avengers eventually. Don't know about New Avengers since it will be steeped in Infinity.
Avengers kinda is too, though.