Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Is it just me or is Mac obsessed with people having affairs with housewives? :monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Typical repressed Little Englander. They'll bang on about good Christian morals and the evils of promiscuity, but underneath it all they're completely loving obsessed with sex.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

tooterfish posted:

Typical repressed Little Englander. They'll bang on about good Christian morals and the evils of promiscuity, but underneath it all they're completely loving obsessed with sex.

See: The entire Tory party through the entire 1980s.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Just imagine John Major tupping Edwina Currie.

Go on, imagine it.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Cloud Potato posted:

Express:

Top baby names revealed in England and Wales. :ssh:It's actually Harry and Amelia.:ssh:
Barrowman Moffat! :argh:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on US aid to Egypt - Amid violence on the streets of Cairo questions have been asked about the US government continuing to provide financial aid to Egypt"

Telegraph:

Eurozone comes out of recession

Independent:

Mail:

quote:

'I was thinking of leaving him to Nick Clegg.'
Lib Dems and Tories give will cash to Treasury

Express:

Ed Miliband hit by egg on campaign trail in London

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Cloud Potato posted:

Independent:

Actually a pretty cool image.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

a] that's not how eggs work
b] why is billy hague trying to stare down eg miliband?
c] why is dennis the menace there?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

a] that's not how eggs work
b] why is billy hague trying to stare down eg miliband?
c] why is dennis the menace there?

Dennis came along because he snagged a lift off Rustie Lee/Shaft

e: I was too busy looking for the fox to notice the Jim Davidson level 'Comedy Rasta'. Because it was in South London, you see. Where them darkies are.

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 15, 2013

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Things you probably would see at East Street Market:
-man with dreadlocks and hat (he has a stand selling reggae CDs but does not have a giant nose)
-fruit and veg

Things you probably won't see at East Street Market:
-Dennis the Menace
-Fox heads for sale
-wall eyed fruit and veg salesmen
-Aliens with solid black eyes and colour changing hands wearing turtlenecks in August

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Kegluneq posted:

"House prices go 'down' as wages go 'up'": A Coalition Cartoon? I think I'm just being dense, I assume that's actually the point being made. Clearly I need labels :ohdear:

The commuter looks like a Kelly character. All it's missing is a crying Statue of LibertyBoudica statue.

'Muhammed' does win out in London itself, although there's still no excuse for that title. For all the recent snobbishness over ethnic/'urban' baby names, the full list is achingly middle class:

I hope all the girls named Isla go on vacation in Spain.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

That's actually a passable Miliband, it makes the whole thing look like he's been sucked into a cartoon world like in Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

And yeah that Indy one is a good concept. What's Rowson doing a homage to there?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
This is the greatest drawing ever.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

baka kaba posted:

What's Rowson doing a homage to there?

I don't think he's doing one to anything, particularly. That doesn't read "in apologies to", but "Bon Voyage R____! XXX" At a guess somebody working for either the Guardian or for Rowson personally has retired.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Mr. Squishy posted:

I don't think he's doing one to anything, particularly. That doesn't read "in apologies to", but "Bon Voyage R____! XXX" At a guess somebody working for either the Guardian or for Rowson personally has retired.

The style looks a lot like an old cartoon (like early 20th century or older) and the weird stuff with the blood exploding makes it seem like he's subverting another image, like it's something that makes sense in the original and he's changed it to blood for obvious reasons.

I don't have enough background to give examples of the style but hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about!

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on A-level results day – Russell Group universities have joined competition for students, with successful A-level candidates now able to trade up"

Telegraph:

Gove getting an A in Education? That's some prime bullshit, right there. Although none of them got an A*.

Independent:

Mail:
"Romanians and Bulgarians are taking up to 100 jobs a day."

quote:

“Hey, Papa. I got a job!....Mainly changing channels for fat English people too lazy to work.”

Express:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Lederhosen being of course traditional clothing in Bavaria: Germany's richest and most conservative Bundesland, where many people pride themselves on being Bavarian first and German second and there's a somewhat popular independence movement.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Cloud Potato posted:

Telegraph:

Gove getting an A in Education? That's some prime bullshit, right there. Although none of them got an A*.
:fuckoff:

Christ, the loving gall.

Cameron does look so happy with his General Studies 'A' though :3:

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
It's certainly the day for right wing cartoonists to go flat out.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Egypt – At least 60 reportedly killed amid fierce street fighting in Cairo and elsewhere as Morsi supporters protest against massacre" After Gustave Doré.

Telegraph:

Area 51 'declassified' in U-2 spy plane history

Stephen Collins:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

hahaha what in the hell

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"Chris Riddell on Egypt - Chris Riddell on Egypt's bloody suppression of the Muslim Brotherhood's protests"

Sunday Telegraph:

HS2 'could cost taxpayer £80bn'

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Jesus loving Christ. What does he think we would think it was if it didn't say ARMY on the hat? A drum major?

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Maybe he thinks labels are an intrinsic part of the medium?
e: Or alternatively he gets paid per the letter.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Cloud Potato posted:

Observer:

"Chris Riddell on Egypt - Chris Riddell on Egypt's bloody suppression of the Muslim Brotherhood's protests"

Sunday Telegraph:

HS2 'could cost taxpayer £80bn'

Chris Riddell doesn't do The Onion's "Kelly" cartoons in his spare time/to warm up for his Sunday cartoons, right?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the HS2 train programme – Thinktank says high-speed railway link would cost double current estimates and is simply to woo voters in northern England"

Telegraph:

Silly season.

Independent:

Prescott: Labour 'has failed to get its case across'

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

i'm so glad to have made such an interesting new friend

Right, who's the guy in black and white? Houndini?

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

weavernaut posted:

Right, who's the guy in black and white? Houdini?

That's Lord Lucan.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Telegraph:

Prince George: First official photographs released.

Independent:

US given 'heads up' on David Miranda detention

Mail:
"Some famous faces have been recruited to help promote Marks and Spencer fashions including Tracy Emin."

quote:

“What d’you think? It’s the Tracy Emin unmade bed look.”

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Cloud Potato posted:

Mail:
"Some famous faces have been recruited to help promote Marks and Spencer fashions including Tracy Emin."

I really can't actually fault this, as this was the first thing I thought of too. Tracey Emin?

HCO Plumer GCB GCM
Apr 29, 2010

"Gentlemen, we may not make history tomorrow, but we shall certainly change the geography."
New Rowson is also in the "Obama Glove Puppet" genre

Guardian - The Riddle of the Sphinx II

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Thanks, HCO Plumer GCB GCM!

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the fake bomb detector case – Three British government departments and agencies were found to have promoted the international sale of fake bomb detectors in a fraud case"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Mail:
"The age limit for jury service has been raised from 70 to 75"

quote:

“Yes, M’Lud. We have reached a verdict but we’ve forgotten what it was.”

Semi-mental
Feb 5, 2007
You must be a couple of pansies

Whilst this is undoubtedly ageist poo poo I am amused by the fact that Mac himself is 77.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Semi-mental posted:

Whilst this is undoubtedly ageist poo poo I am amused by the fact that Mac himself is 77.
Maybe he forgot?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Semi-mental posted:

Say what you like about his old-fashioned opinions, but the fact Mac can put out as many cartoons as he does with that level of art quality at his age is really impressive.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Jedit posted:

Say what you like about his old-fashioned opinions, but the fact Mac can put out as many cartoons as he does with that level of art quality at his age is really impressive.

In the newspaper comics thread in BSS, there's 4 cartoonists who were drawing or are still drawing in the last few years at around the same age:

Dick Locher - 84, drawing and writing Dick Tracy until about 2 years ago:

Morrie Turner - 89, still drawing and writing Wee Pals, which at the time it started was amazingly progressive, (also he's one of the few nationally syndicated black cartoonists I believe)

Fred Fredericks - 84, drawing and writing (but not creator) of Mandrake the Magician. Retired this month unexpectedly so it's entering re-runs:

Frank Bolle - 89, drawing Apartment 3G, a comic about young 20 something professional females

For some of them you can trace the decrease in quality of art - Morrie Turner especially - over the past few years. His Soul Corner faces where he traces the face of a famous or inspiring real life person are becoming progressively more wonky.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I always hated seeing them rag on Dick Locher, his newer stuff can be pretty goofy looking but Dick Tracy was a phenomenal comic back in the day and a lot of professional cartoonists love his body of work.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on David Cameron's bad back that has stopped him deer hunting – While on holiday in Scotland, the PM revealed he was diagnosed with a protruding disc after a medical scan" Step on a crack, break your PM's back?

Telegraph:

Nigel Farage to take a step back from politics to ‘get a grip’ on Ukip

Independent:

Edward Snowden files: No 10 contacted Guardian

Mail:
"It has been revealed that prisoners in some jails are being allowed to work in call centres."

quote:

“Wow. A whole £50 ? And all I have to do is throw a rope over a wall, get back in the car, rev the engine and wait?”

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

i'm so glad to have made such an interesting new friend
I'm far less enraged by Mac now that I know he's 77. Now it's just "oh, great-grandpa thinks he gets think about the modern world :allears:".

I'm really impressed by his art, though. When he's not being racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on the west's reaction to the Syrian crisis - The US is deciding whether to take new action against the Syrian regime – but says it still has not seen any conclusive proof of the use of chemical weapons there"

Telegraph:

GCSEs 2013: Top grades fall for second year in a row

Independent:

Egyptian ex-President Hosni Mubarak released from jail

Mail:
"The Girl guide association want to drop the pledge “Love my God” from the oath."

quote:

“To be honest, when I pledged to “Love my God” I thought it meant my mobile phone.”

• Locked thread