Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

CommieGIR posted:

The major issue was that in the late 1970s, GM wasn't very sure of turbocharging for consumer models yet, they were worried about reliability and having to cover turbocharger failures.

Oh, i see. Only N/A diesels i've driven are Golf SDIs, 68bhp, infinite turbo lag. :gonk:

Powershift posted:

The biggest we get are 16 liter, 600hp/2050 ft/lb I6s, even our 1 ton pickups are up to 400hp/850ft/lbs

Ah, didn't realise you had 16-litres, i thought ISXs were the biggest. (13.something?) I believe Volvo have now passed Scania for the most powerful OTR truck engine; 700hp, 2,323lb/ft. :aaaaa:

We (England) don't get many pickups like you guys do, ours are mostly Rangers/HiLuxes/L200s, with 2.0-2.5-litre diesels. I'd like a 2007 F-250 with a 6 leaker.

My 1.9 Golf (tweaked) is 175bhp/300lb/ft.

I drove a long wheelbase high roof Ford Transit a couple weeks ago, with a 2.4 (Don't know how much power) and it was surprisingly quick, powerful and torquey. 45mph in 6th gear, 1,500rpm and it had plenty of pull with no downshift, really impressed by it, drove beautifully.

Mooseykins fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mooseykins posted:

My 1.9 Golf (tweaked) is 175bhp/300lb/ft.

:allears: Someday...my little Jetta, someday...

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

CommieGIR posted:

:allears: Someday...my little Jetta, someday...

Is it a PD or a VE? VEs are really cheap to make fast. PDs, outside of mapping are expensive.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mooseykins posted:

Is it a PD or a VE? VEs are really cheap to make fast. PDs, outside of mapping are expensive.

VE, I'm actually not fond of the PDs.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

CommieGIR posted:

VE, I'm actually not fond of the PDs.

:aaaaa:

Why not? The 1.9 TDI PD 130 (ASZ) is the best engine ever made! :eng101:

I was also wrong about Volvo, they've outdone themselves and gone to 750bhp..

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Mine too. VE. What does it take to make 175/300 on these? I'm looking for something more like 150-160hp. Seems like that's VNT17 or VNT17/22 territory. What is the VNT15 with a tune/nozzles good for?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BlackMK4 posted:

Mine too. VE. What does it take to make 175/300 on these? I'm looking for something more like 150-160hp. Seems like that's VNT17 or VNT17/22 territory. What is the VNT15 with a tune/nozzles good for?

Turbo and injectors will get you there with ease.

Mooseykins posted:

:aaaaa:

Why not? The 1.9 TDI PD 130 (ASZ) is the best engine ever made! :eng101:

I was also wrong about Volvo, they've outdone themselves and gone to 750bhp..

Its not that I think they are bad engines, but the PDs don't seem to get the fuel efficiency of the VE.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

BlackMK4 posted:

VNT15s are good for about 140-145bhp i believe.

Mine is just remapped/tuned, nothing else.

Get a 1749VA/VB off a 130/150 PD engine, bolts right on to a VE head and downpipe (So long as it's a VNT car, AGR engines with wastegates have different downpipes.), set of injectors and tune. A VA (130) turbo is good for about 190bhp with exhaust/intercooler, and a VB is good for about 200bhp with exhaust/intercooler.

Bear in mind that your inlet manifold, intercooler and pipework are somewhat restrictive though. If you did a 130 turbo/inlet/intercooler/pipework and a set of nozzles/injectors you'd easily see the same power as mine. Mine can make a little more, but has been turned down slightly to save the dual mass flywheel.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

CommieGIR posted:

Its not that I think they are bad engines, but the PDs don't seem to get the fuel efficiency of the VE.

What does yours get? I've had 60mpg (US gallons) out of mine and it's a wagon.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mooseykins posted:

What does yours get? I've had 60mpg (US gallons) out of mine and it's a wagon.

Well, drat, I get 56 MPG

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Powershift posted:

The biggest we get are 16 liter, 600hp/2050 ft/lb I6s, even our 1 ton pickups are up to 400hp/850ft/lbs

:allears:

If only I wouldn't have to cut both my frame rails, my entire radiator/grille, and most of my hood off my truck to fit one of those in. I was looking at N14s and was incredibly happy until I found out how goddamn big they are on the outside.

Speaking of which... diesel nerds and truckers. Please tell me what the gently caress I can get a 330hp tuned Cummins C8.3 out of, preferably with an SAE bellhousing adapter that fits loving something or other an Eaton Fuller RTX14609B would come out of. I have been trying to find a way to figure out what donor vehicles have that engine and it sure seems goddamn impossible compared to finding the same info for passenger cars and light trucks. And there doesn't seem to be any way to verify what power tune would be on a particular engine, so any chucklefuck can claim theirs is the one you want or whatever and then it shows up and has 250hp instead of 330.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

CommieGIR posted:

Well, drat, I get 56 MPG

It's all about the cruise control.. (And having a 6th gear)

kastein posted:

If only I wouldn't have to cut both my frame rails, my entire radiator/grille, and most of my hood off my truck to fit one of those in. I was looking at N14s and was incredibly happy until I found out how goddamn big they are on the outside.

Speaking of which... diesel nerds and truckers. Please tell me what the gently caress I can get a 330hp tuned Cummins C8.3 out of, preferably with an SAE bellhousing adapter that fits loving something or other an Eaton Fuller RTX14609B would come out of. I have been trying to find a way to figure out what donor vehicles have that engine and it sure seems goddamn impossible compared to finding the same info for passenger cars and light trucks. And there doesn't seem to be any way to verify what power tune would be on a particular engine, so any chucklefuck can claim theirs is the one you want or whatever and then it shows up and has 250hp instead of 330.

I'm not hugely familiar with 8.3s or American trucks, but i do recall reading that a lot of school buses had/have 8.3s.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Sadly most of the urban bus 8.3s I've seen listed are 250hp variants, which are governed at 2200rpm (I need at least 2500), and most school bus ones are the 280 or 285hp variants, which redline at 2500 but people want a loving mint for them.

I'm not looking for much power/torque unless I can get it cheap... I need that sweet sweet 2500rpm redline of the 280/285/300 schoolbus, 260/280/285/300 urban bus, and 310/330 firetruck/motorhome/HDT 8.3s. And I'm trying to stay under 2k for the engine, which is looking less and less possible.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

kastein posted:

Sadly most of the urban bus 8.3s I've seen listed are 250hp variants, which are governed at 2200rpm (I need at least 2500), and most school bus ones are the 280 or 285hp variants, which redline at 2500 but people want a loving mint for them.

I'm not looking for much power/torque unless I can get it cheap... I need that sweet sweet 2500rpm redline of the 280/285/300 schoolbus, 260/280/285/300 urban bus, and 310/330 firetruck/motorhome/HDT 8.3s. And I'm trying to stay under 2k for the engine, which is looking less and less possible.

What's needed to raise the limiter?

I'll ask a couple diesel mech friends of mine in the US if they have any leads on any 8.3s.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mooseykins posted:

It's all about the cruise control.. (And having a 6th gear)

I'd love a 6th gear :(

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Mooseykins posted:

What's needed to raise the limiter?

I'll ask a couple diesel mech friends of mine in the US if they have any leads on any 8.3s.

That'd be awesome. Preferably with an SAE #2 bellhousing but any SAE pattern is fine with me at this point.

I would rather not get into raising the limiter and retuning the engine without knowing everything about it - basically I'm looking for a complete engine package or front frame cut to rip things off of and throw them in my truck. If I had a full parts catalog of 8.3 stuff that told me which internal parts they used for what horsepower/torque ratings, and what exactly the tune changes, I'd be fine with going that route, but the last thing I want to do is buy a crummy lower power 8.3, tune it up, be happy, then throw a rod through the block 200 miles from home and literally spend a thousand dollars having the thing towed back.

I'm so used to having full OEM parts catalogs and make/model/year application data available that trying to figure out anything with this project is just confusing the poo poo out of me.

e: maybe I should just show up at the local Cummins sales office an hour before closing on a Friday and pick people's brains and bullshit until I manage to get parts catalogs or the info I want.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

CommieGIR posted:

I could send you a conversion, unfortunately it would cost a fortune all-round. Shame you guys didn't get 6-speed MK IV diesels.

Do you guys get "premium" diesels there? Over here Shell do V-Power diesel and BP do BP Ultimate diesel. Don't seem to get an more power from them, but i do get better fuel economy when using them. In 12,00 miles i've only ever had half a tank of cheap nasty stinking poo poo diesel, becausei was out in the sticks and needed some. It wasn't the normal regular diesel, it was awful and my car didn't like it at all.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

That was actually GM/Cadillac

It was GM, but not Cadillac. Oldsmobile.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mooseykins posted:

I could send you a conversion, unfortunately it would cost a fortune all-round. Shame you guys didn't get 6-speed MK IV diesels.

Do you guys get "premium" diesels there? Over here Shell do V-Power diesel and BP do BP Ultimate diesel. Don't seem to get an more power from them, but i do get better fuel economy when using them. In 12,00 miles i've only ever had half a tank of cheap nasty stinking poo poo diesel, becausei was out in the sticks and needed some. It wasn't the normal regular diesel, it was awful and my car didn't like it at all.

We did get the 6 speed, but not till mk. 5

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Mooseykins posted:

Ah, didn't realise you had 16-litres, i thought ISXs were the biggest. (13.something?) I believe Volvo have now passed Scania for the most powerful OTR truck engine; 700hp, 2,323lb/ft. :aaaaa:

Naw, I have a 15L Cummins ISX. 435HP and 1650/1850 Switchable TQ. Doesn't sound like much, but last time I jumped the governor I did over 150kph and set a new GPS record. (153.692 to be spot on.) I think they are still making the cummins siggy ISX 600hp/2050ft, which was behind the well before EPA CAT 800+ hp monsters.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

kastein posted:

You looking for more power or more speed?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

CommieGIR posted:

http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/the-102/A4-5th-gear-conversion/Detail
http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/the-178/A4-.658-5th-Gear/Detail
:v:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kastein posted:

The 480hp 1660ftlb 12 liter in my Mack is within 7 or 8 inches in each dimension of the 5.9 Cummins in my dodge. I've measured it out and it would probably fit. What would be more metal than a 12 liter 1 ton pickup.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

CommieGIR posted:

We did get the 6 speed, but not till mk. 5

Unfortunately they're 02Q gearboxes and not 02Ms. 02Qs don't have speed sensors on them, as MK Vs read wheel speed from the ABS sensors, so can't be fitted into MK IVs. Did you get any 6-speed MK IVs? (GTI/GLIs?)

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

InterceptorV8 posted:

Naw, I have a 15L Cummins ISX. 435HP and 1650/1850 Switchable TQ. Doesn't sound like much, but last time I jumped the governor I did over 150kph and set a new GPS record. (153.692 to be spot on.) I think they are still making the cummins siggy ISX 600hp/2050ft, which was behind the well before EPA CAT 800+ hp monsters.

Ah, nice. A friend of mine put an ISX in his DAF, with a little tweaking. That fucker was quick, for an 8x8 flatbed.

Ah, an 800hp CAT engine.. we can only dream now.. Those things are beasts. Although i'm told C15s go through compound turbos like there's no tomorrow.

Our big trucks (6.5T+ i think) here in Europe are all limited to 56mph, some bullshit EU law. They used to be able to do 70mph on the motorway like everyone else.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mooseykins posted:

Our big trucks (6.5T+ i think) here in Europe are all limited to 56mph, some bullshit EU law. They used to be able to do 70mph on the motorway like everyone else.

Have you ever tried to stop one of those fuckers fully loaded? There's a reason they're limited.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

KozmoNaut posted:

Have you ever tried to stop one of those fuckers fully loaded? There's a reason they're limited.

I learned to drive in a 1st gen Sprinter, long wheelbase, high roof, dually. Power steering didn't work, power brakes didn't work.

SOP for braking was drop it into neutral and put both feet on the brake, and pray! :v:

It has since been fixed and had a more powerful engine put in. That bastard van is faster than my remapped diesel wagon.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

InterceptorV8 posted:

You looking for more power or more speed?

In a word: yes.

Current engine is 175/195hp (depends on who you ask) and 425 foot pounds, and maxes out at 2600rpm.

I simply don't have the power to maintain top speed on the highway going up hills without wringing it out, and these engines are NOT known for durability when run at 24-2500+ constantly.

So I'm looking for the most powerful engine I can afford, with an SAE #2 clutch housing, that fits in the space I have, and has a redline of at least 2500. I want to upgrade the tranny anyways because right now I don't have OD - 2500 with an OD of .73 and larger tires will actually bump me from a max road speed of 52mph to around a max of 73mph. Still, I can't find a deeper OD than that, already bought tires, and the diff ratios basically can't be changed, so the engine pretty much has to be able to do 2500 unless I try and find a brownie box or something, which is going to make things interesting due to it being 6x6, I'd technically need two of them or some sort of goofy interlock setup.

I found out that cat 3208 naturally aspirated motors redline at 2750 and can be bumped to 3250 if needed, which has me thinking, because one of the engines I may be able to get for a reasonable amount of money is a 3208 (iirc) which is in an old enough vehicle that it may well be an NA version. Not much more power than I have right now, though... at least from what I can find for a marine 3208NA. Trying to find solid info for an OTR one seems to be an exercise in futility.

Powershift posted:

The 480hp 1660ftlb 12 liter in my Mack is within 7 or 8 inches in each dimension of the 5.9 Cummins in my dodge. I've measured it out and it would probably fit. What would be more metal than a 12 liter 1 ton pickup.
You have my attention. What's the model number on that 12 liter? Overall dimensions?

kastein fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Aug 21, 2013

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Mooseykins posted:

Unfortunately they're 02Q gearboxes and not 02Ms. 02Qs don't have speed sensors on them, as MK Vs read wheel speed from the ABS sensors, so can't be fitted into MK IVs. Did you get any 6-speed MK IVs? (GTI/GLIs?)

We got the GLI with a 6 speed. The 03 GLI came with a 6 speed and vr6 and there was also the 03 vr6 with 6speed r32. Then in 04.5-05.5 (just before the mk5) there was the 2.0t GLI with 6 speed. Also gently caress both of you with your non-dpf turbos that get real mileage. I am doing good to squeeze out 42mpg tank average on my 11, but then again I have 140hp/240lbft. Oh to live in a state with no inspections so I could gut the emissions bullshit.

Although I do wonder what my mileage would be if I got rid of the 19"s with sticky tires.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Just got back from the VW dealership - going to be the owner of a 2013 Golf Wagon TDI early next week :)

My previous experience with diesels have been my dad's Ram 3500, Ford F450, and Freightliner M12, so it was quite a bit of a shock at how quiet and smooth things were. The fuel consumption... drat, on the test drive we averaged 7L/100Km for about 25 minutes of driving with just a little bit of freeway driving, I'm normally happy when I break 11L/100Km in my current car.

I went with the Comfortline trim, I don't really need leather seats/sunroof that the Highline trim has, and decided to go with the DSG transmission. I live in the downtown core of my city, so having a manual transmission has been a pain in the rear end for the past few years.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
If I had to give up manual for an automatic, that's just about the only one I would go for. DSG is rad. Congrats on the new purchase!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I really love the DSG on my 13 Jetta SW

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

neckbeard posted:

Just got back from the VW dealership - going to be the owner of a 2013 Golf Wagon TDI early next week :)

My previous experience with diesels have been my dad's Ram 3500, Ford F450, and Freightliner M12, so it was quite a bit of a shock at how quiet and smooth things were. The fuel consumption... drat, on the test drive we averaged 7L/100Km for about 25 minutes of driving with just a little bit of freeway driving, I'm normally happy when I break 11L/100Km in my current car.

I went with the Comfortline trim, I don't really need leather seats/sunroof that the Highline trim has, and decided to go with the DSG transmission. I live in the downtown core of my city, so having a manual transmission has been a pain in the rear end for the past few years.

Congrats, I'd love a DSG.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
What's a ballpark power number the DSG's can take without upgrades?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH4F7J7AAFE

Only guaranteed up 70 kmh, so still won't save everyones rear end, but it should help. Or as Volvo Trucks' traffic and product safety director puts it; "If you kept your eye on the traffic ahead of you at all times, you wouldn't need systems like these."

savesthedayrocks posted:

What's a ballpark power number the DSG's can take without upgrades?

The weakest is rated for 250Nm, and the strongest (as of now, if we disregard the Bugatti one) is rated for 600Nm.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kastein posted:

You have my attention. What's the model number on that 12 liter? Overall dimensions?

It's an AC 460p. overall it's 51" l by 48" t by 45" wide, but about 8 inches of the width comes from how the turbo is mounted, and probably 6-7 inches of the height is a dip in the oil pan that would go around the front axle of the dodge. You could crank a 5.9 cummins up to similar numers for less than a heavy duty engine + rebuild would cost you, but come on, 12 liters!

edit: that cummins titan makes me horny. Put that engine in a mid 60s lincoln conti coupe and you wouldn't be able to get me out of it.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 22, 2013

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

InterceptorV8 posted:

Volvo has a 16L in the us now:
http://www.volvotrucks.com/trucks/na/en-us/_layouts/CWP.Internet.VolvoCom/NewsItem.aspx?News.ItemId=122315&News.Language=en-gb

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Only 500hp and 2800nm?

Scania's 16.4L V8 makes 730hp and 3500nm.

You think American truckers are brand-obsessed fanboys? It's nothing compared to the devotion Euro-truckers have for V8 Scanias.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Powershift posted:

It's an AC 460p. overall it's 51" l by 48" t by 45" wide, but about 8 inches of the width comes from how the turbo is mounted, and probably 6-7 inches of the height is a dip in the oil pan that would go around the front axle of the dodge. You could crank a 5.9 cummins up to similar numers for less than a heavy duty engine + rebuild would cost you, but come on, 12 liters!

edit: that cummins titan makes me horny. Put that engine in a mid 60s lincoln conti coupe and you wouldn't be able to get me out of it.

How wide where it has to go between the frame rails? I forget exactly what I have available but it's somewhere in the 28-32" range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah they've had them in the US for quite awhile, they are mostly in the "big nose" trucks.

http://www.motorstown.com/imgs/35952-volvo-d16-5.html

• Locked thread