Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

The original myotonic goats were really good meat goats from Tennessee and goat is pretty drat tasty so there's always that option (if you can steel yourself against baby goat faces). Alpaca people tend to get upset when eating them is put forward as an option for overpopulation, but the only overpopulation problem you have with sheep and goats is not enough room in the freezer.

Oops new page. How about some cuddly baby sheep instead of goat curry.

Yes I did say not to let ram lambs get all up in your face and Sherman is way too pushy but sometime I need a cuddle.

He got too pushy and got stuck with me holding his face until he chilled out. Feel the impotent lamb anger.

It turned into face rubs though.

Goliath you are too drat big. That is Windsor next to him.

Your ears are too big too.

Respect the camera, sheep!

Ok face rubs for you too. Sherman is trying to climb into my lap.

Mooseling cuddles too.

He really did curl up in my lap. And yes, I am wearing flipflops in the pasture like an idiot.

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

RazorBunny posted:

I'll let her know :) I think she mostly wants them for wool, and will probably just end up eating her excess ram lambs and the occasional troublemaker.

All I can see is :chef:

How's the meat taste? What can you make with it? I've only ever had cow, pig, chicken, and ostrich (don't ask)...

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Lamb is nice. It has a slightly...I dunno how to explain it, I'd almost say metallic? flavor, compared to beef, which can be overwhelming depending on how it's prepared. It's a very tender red meat. Grown-up sheep (mutton) is quite a bit tougher and has more of that flavor to it, but can still be very tasty. I love a leg of lamb roasted with Dijon mustard, garlic, and rosemary. Lamb shanks cooked up into osso bucco are fantastic. You can really make a lot with it!

I've only had goat meat a couple of times, but it's very similar. I've had it prepared both Greek style and as an Indian curry, and both were very good. I was actually surprised not to see goat on more menus while I was in Kuwait, since they raise tons of meat goats (you'd see them everywhere), but I was told that only poor people there eat goat and the types of restaurants an American lady would find herself in would be ashamed to serve it. You could buy it in the grocery store, of course.

I don't think my sister would mind eating her goats, but my aunt might be upset about it - I don't think she's ever eaten any of them. Since they're the miniature version of the breed, I'm not sure how much meat is really on a kid (they're SO tiny when they're babies), but the adults are definitely meaty beasts.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

I was in Jamaica for my honeymoon last year. I was told that most of the goats there were for meat. Though, strangely, the idea of eating goat cheese was repugnant. Go figure. Goat cheese is delicious.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

RazorBunny posted:

Lamb is nice. It has a slightly...I dunno how to explain it, I'd almost say metallic? flavor, compared to beef, which can be overwhelming depending on how it's prepared. It's a very tender red meat. Grown-up sheep (mutton) is quite a bit tougher and has more of that flavor to it, but can still be very tasty. I love a leg of lamb roasted with Dijon mustard, garlic, and rosemary. Lamb shanks cooked up into osso bucco are fantastic. You can really make a lot with it!

I think the flavor is called "gamey". Lamb is really good dusted in salt, cumin, and chili powder and then roasted or grilled.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I've had ostrich too! It was delicious for being from such a weird dinosaurbird.

Most of the lamb you find in stores in America comes from New Zealand where they have millions of sheep on pasture and its crazy cheap even when you take into account shipping it here. New Zealand lamb tends to have a fairly strong, gamey, lamb flavor, which some people don't like but it has never bothered me. Commercial American lamb tends to be fattier and have a milder flavor. Most heritage breed sheep have very lean carcasses and mild flavor and stay mild and succulent even in mutton sheep, commercial mutton gets chewy and stringy and gamey enough that you just want to give it to the dogs (who are then scared of it because lamb scares some dogs).

My family has had leg of lamb with garlic and rosemary and mint for Easter and Christmas every year for generations, but rack of lamb with coarse mustard is amazing. Its often found in Greek cooking, where it is super tasty no matter how its served.

Sheep don't do well on feedlots and generally don't spend a lot of time crammed together getting fattened by piles of grains so if you are concerned about meat animal welfare lamb is usually a good choice. Even if I didn't have sheep I would suggest more Americans at least try lamb because it is delicious and not trapped in a tiny filthy box like so many meat animals.

Goat is generally leaner than sheep and has a bit stronger flavor. I most often have it in curry where its strong enough to not get overpowered by the curry flavors. Mmmm. I don't like goat cheese as much now that I have goats. A lot of the chevre you get at the store has a real strong goaty-ness to it and it tastes just like the goats smell and its just too much goat for me. Locally made super fresh chevre is better about that but it can still be a lot of goat.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

bamhand posted:

I think the flavor is called "gamey". Lamb is really good dusted in salt, cumin, and chili powder and then roasted or grilled.

People say that, but I find that true "game" meats have a different flavor than lamb. It can still be rather off-putting if not handled well, but it's not the same to my taste buds. Maybe I'm just weird. And I was trying to find a word that actually described the flavor, since gamey doesn't mean anything to a person unless they've tasted it :)

Lamb burgers, man. Ground lamb with lots of parsley and garlic and black pepper. Perfect.

My other favorite lamb preparation is to cut it into bite-sized pieces and wrap them in bacon. Then they go in a Guinness bath at a low temperature for a while until they're mostly cooked through. Then the liquid is poured off and the temperature is turned up to crisp the outside. Then they are eaten, enthusiastically. I make a mean spicy-sweet Guinness dipping sauce.

I did have someone come up to me at a party and say "RazorBunny, I think these scallops might be bad," which made me laugh.

I had a similar experience to a life less' while I was in the Middle East, the only goat dairy products were imported and tended to only be sold at the grocery stores that catered to foreigners. It was strange to see goats everywhere and not be served anything that came from a goat.

I feel a little weird filling this thread with sheep-eating chat, but as long as IJ doesn't mind...

By the way, here are some of the goats in Kuwait:

They had really long, floppy ears that bounced around a lot when they ran :)

RazorBunny fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 20, 2013

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
All of this eating of small ruminants talk makes me a little sad. I'm all for the eating of tasty animals, I just have a bit more trouble with the idea when it's the very young ones. I found a purse that belonged to my grandmother, and was very sad when I realized it was made of lambskin. Mutton's cool, but I don't know if I could ever bring myself to eat lamb. Goat, maybe, though growing up with goats as pets more than as livestock, it would probably be difficult.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

My take is always that as long as they have a good, happy life and as painless a death as possible, it doesn't matter to me how long that life is. But I know some people have strong feelings about eating baby animals, and there's nothing wrong with that.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

RazorBunny posted:

My take is always that as long as they have a good, happy life and as painless a death as possible, it doesn't matter to me how long that life is. But I know some people have strong feelings about eating baby animals, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I'm not sure it's strong feelings, just a lingering sadness. Of course, I also feel like a monster for killing fake turtles in World of Warcraft, so I may be a bit nutty.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Can I ask what IJ would suggest for learning how to spin/harvest fiber from goats? We're planning on goats as our next venture. We're nearly done with our chicken coop. What would you say is the best way to learn spinning? I knit and crochet, but I also love doing needlefelting, so is there a good goat for that purpose, or are sheep better?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

If it makes you feel better, "lamb" usually comes from sheep who are 85-100 lbs and anywhere from 5-11 months old. They aren't little bitty baby lambs, they're big obnoxious teen lambs. Although I definitely know how you feel.

Lynza posted:

Can I ask what IJ would suggest for learning how to spin/harvest fiber from goats? We're planning on goats as our next venture. We're nearly done with our chicken coop. What would you say is the best way to learn spinning? I knit and crochet, but I also love doing needlefelting, so is there a good goat for that purpose, or are sheep better?

It depends on what sort of goat and/or fiber you want. If you want mohair from angoras or type A pygoras you'll need to learn to shear or find a shearer in your area who does goats. If you want cashmere from any cashmere producing goat you just need to comb it or pluck out the undercoat every spring, which doesn't take any special skill but takes forever with not a lot to show for it. The books The Angora Goat and Angora Goats The Northern Way both have big sections on fiber and I'll ask my mom if there are any other books she would recommend. She's the one who actually has any skill at fiber crafts.

There's a spinning thread in the DIY subforum that can probably help you with spinning more than I can. To me it seems like the best way would be to find a spinners guild in your area and see if any members could teach you. Plenty of people just pick up a drop spindle and a fiber they like and teach themselves though. You'll probably want to start out with wool because mohair is really slippery and doesn't have a lot of memory so it can be hard to spin.

Mohair doesn't felt well so if that was important to you a sheep or a goat with cashmere would be better suited.

My goats get sheared next month and are looking super shaggy. Tootsie and Angela haven't been sheared since January and are kind of a mess. The kids will probably have to wait until October to get a little bit more fleece out of them.

Heath is hatless once again and back with the ladies. I could not keep him out of the fencing and decided I would rather have inbred kids born in January than a dead buck. He isn't acting bucky at all yet so I'm hoping I have another month or so before I need to get worried.

His pompadour is amazing.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I kinda want to see you cord that boy and tell people he's a Komondor.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

What toys do they have? Do they have a yoga ball?

Sad thing is, that's exactly how my coonhound runs, right down to the floppy ears. :saddowns:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
edit ^^^^^that is a GREAT video! Thanks for sharing! I can't stop laughing!

Instant Jellyfish, thanks for the photos! Sherman, is he as soft as he looks! The pics from the other day, the gnarly horns are outta this world! So cool looking! If I lived close I would knock on your door and ask if your animals could come out to play!

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 21, 2013

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

By the way if I ever had a farm I would want to keep pigs. Pigs are wonderful and sweet and friendly, but they are also very stinky and will try to murder you and eat you at the drop of a hat. Maybe I wouldn't want to keep pigs.

Mustache pig :3:

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

RazorBunny posted:

By the way if I ever had a farm I would want to keep pigs. Pigs are wonderful and sweet and friendly, but they are also very stinky and will try to murder you and eat you at the drop of a hat. Maybe I wouldn't want to keep pigs.

Mustache pig :3:

If you don't have a whole bunch of them, they're less stinky because you can use a higher-maintenance bedding to keep the smell down. Also pigs handled their whole lives are sweeties.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I don't want pigs, but if I were to get pigs I would get kune kune pigs. I may have a spot problem but you can't tell me that they aren't adorable.

daggerdragon posted:

What toys do they have? Do they have a yoga ball?

Sad thing is, that's exactly how my coonhound runs, right down to the floppy ears. :saddowns:

Oh man if I didn't think my goats would be terrified I would totally get them one. They have a boomer ball but they all think its some sort of goat torture device and won't go near it. They mostly jump on and off of everything and have XTREME GOAT BATTLEs with each other and that keeps them pretty occupied.

My neighbor who was going to fill my barn with hay for $1.80 a bale doesn't have any hay this year and didn't bother letting me know. Now I get to go hay hunting yet again and it will probably be easily twice that much. Oh and I need at least 300 bales :suicide:

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 21, 2013

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

GabrielAisling posted:

If you don't have a whole bunch of them, they're less stinky because you can use a higher-maintenance bedding to keep the smell down. Also pigs handled their whole lives are sweeties.

Their feces is still incredibly awful smelling, but you're right, it's less gross with fewer animals.

I've heard some horror stories of even friendly, socialized piggies attacking a farmer who tripped and fell in the pig pen or cut his arm on a fence post. And if you were to have a heart attack and die in the middle of the pen, I'm pretty sure they'd eat you no matter what.

I still like them though.

I love the aesthetics of the big meaty breeds, like the Yorkshire white, but they would be way too huge to just keep as pets I think.

Don't worry IJ, I love spotty pigs too...

The Gloucester Old Spot. And they are delicious.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
I recommend anyone who wants pigs to read The Good Good Pig by Sy Montgomery. It's got a lot of vegetarian-feeding hyperbole, but is otherwise packed full of pig history and interesting tidbits about keeping them. Plus you can learn a lot about what not to do by reading their experiences trying to keep Christopher contained.

For me personally? It's a quiet little dream to have KuneKunes, and breed them with Mangalitsa (hahaha no I can't afford one but someday maybe) to produce a mid-sized, heavy fat and marbling meat pig that could work fine in a backyard farming setting.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

RazorBunny posted:

Their feces is still incredibly awful smelling, but you're right, it's less gross with fewer animals.

I've heard some horror stories of even friendly, socialized piggies attacking a farmer who tripped and fell in the pig pen or cut his arm on a fence post. And if you were to have a heart attack and die in the middle of the pen, I'm pretty sure they'd eat you no matter what.

I still like them though.

I love the aesthetics of the big meaty breeds, like the Yorkshire white, but they would be way too huge to just keep as pets I think.

Don't worry IJ, I love spotty pigs too...

We have a professor at my school with a pet pig very creatively named "Suey." He remains single because he always ends up liking his pig better than his girlfriends.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Captain Foxy posted:

For me personally? It's a quiet little dream to have KuneKunes, and breed them with Mangalitsa (hahaha no I can't afford one but someday maybe) to produce a mid-sized, heavy fat and marbling meat pig that could work fine in a backyard farming setting.

I have heard and seen KuneKunes but those Mangalitsa are unusual! I wonder if their 'hair' is used the same as sheep's wool?

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

RazorBunny posted:

There's a working farm/orchard in my state that had one of these for years and years, he was seriously disgusting and would scream like Rob Halford at the tourists from time to time. I used to love tossing him half-rotten apples and watching him squash them all over the place. Then one day his pen was empty and there were fresh rashers of bacon for sale in the farm stand. :ohdear: RIP pig, you were delicious:

They also have adorable fat shaggy ponies there:

(I think they might be Icelandics? Not sure though!)

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I love shaggy ponies :3:

My new sheep pen project has stalled out for a while until I get my dad back out to help me but here's what we've done so far.

This fall I will have 5 different breeding groups: the goats (Heath, Tootsie, Dido, Electra, and I guess Iph), the Jacobs (Windsor, Juniper, Jewel, Johnnie and Aster), Sherman and Eleanor, Goliath and Flirt, and Al and Page. I had no idea how I was going to keep everyone separated without completely losing my mind this fall until I read this blog post by a meat sheep breeder who needed to pen different groups for specialized feeding plans before lambing and I went "that's it!". I sent it to my dad who loves planning things and told him all the stuff I wanted to be different and he whipped up some plans and went to town building.

First we removed the ancient cattle stanchions from when this used to be a dairy barn, put in and cemented new support posts, and expanded the pen by about 4 feet. We completely covered it in no climb fencing so I won't have to worry about terrible lambs sneaking into the grain and getting the runs all over my barn any more.

This is the part I'm super excited about though and the part that is taking the most time. Moveable and removeable panels that can turn the pen into up to 14 pens of different sizes for lambing and breeding.

They're solid so I don't have to worry about my drafty barn walls if its cold during lambing and rams can't see through and try to fight when in breeding groups. I still have about 20 panels left to build though. Eventually we'll add some lighting and outlets so we can put up heat lamps if needed.

I will also be able to turn it into a squeeze pen and sorting pens so sheep maintenance should be a lot easier. Right now I have to just smoosh them into a corner with a cattle panel and to slip them out one at a time. I'm so excited about how much this is going to improve things around the barn, I wish I had known more (or anything) about barn construction when we first turned the place from a hoarder's dump site into a working barn.

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
That's rad! I would love it if you went into more details about things like this. You're basically living my dream, and basic stuff like this is incredibly interesting to me. :allears:

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
Yes, yes! Give us ALL the details-- we're living vicariously through you for a while at least.

Something I wanted to ask: if two of your rams did get into a fight for whatever reason, is there anything you can do to stop them? They're big enough that I can't imagine trying to get in there and break up a real throwdown. How do you handle that sort of situation?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I'll see if I can dig up the spergy plans my dad drew up and show the stalls in a bit more detail later.

Pucklynn posted:

Yes, yes! Give us ALL the details-- we're living vicariously through you for a while at least.

Something I wanted to ask: if two of your rams did get into a fight for whatever reason, is there anything you can do to stop them? They're big enough that I can't imagine trying to get in there and break up a real throwdown. How do you handle that sort of situation?

The rams get in scraps now and then and mostly just work it out themselves. A lot of the time it looks scary but they are built to butt heads and aren't looking to kill their opponent. If there is a serious fight there's not a whole lot I can do except turn the hose on them or go out with the dog and hope they're more worried about that than whatever they're fighting about. I would never try to get inbetween them and if I grabbed one from behind the other one wouldn't stop so we'd both just end up injured.

The times when they're most likely to get into serious fights is when they're being reintroduced after breeding or if I bring a new ram in from off the farm. To reduce the risk of someone getting hurt I do all introductions in a teeny tiny pen where they can get up, lay down and shuffle around a bit but not get any distance to charge. Some people who don't have small pens just stick a bunch of tires in the pen to do the same thing. They can still hit pretty hard but if they don't get a running start they aren't usually going to hurt anything. After a few days I let them in a larger pen and then if they get along well they can move out to the pasture and they'll generally be fine at that point besides a lot of obnoxious humping. You can also spray cologne on all of their noses and butts so they all smell the same if they're being extra testy.

Keeping rams together there is always a risk that they can kill each other. Roman, a ram we sold 2 years ago, killed one of his penmates by ripping the horn off of its skull accidentally. The lady we bought the cormos from had a ram die from getting butted in just the right spot and bleeding into his brain. You do what you can to minimize the risk of fights (no grain in ram groups, don't pasture them right next to ewes in the fall, do introductions carefully) but accidents happen.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Sheep and goats and sheep and goat projects

Can I just quit my job and move to where you are and I can work on your little farm with you?

Meles meles
Oct 4, 2010
Jumping in a little late to give Kune kune pigs a massive thumbs up :3:

We have two at one of the other city farms I work at, they're called Jenny and Edward (the mainly black one and mainly ginger one respectively) and they are lovely.

The other pigs I worked with spend most of their time trying to eat you and are generally assholes, these guys are adorable and just want scratches and pets (and food.) I may also be bias as these guys have been trained to sit down for food, which is the best party trick for school visits.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Meles meles posted:

Jumping in a little late to give Kune kune pigs a massive thumbs up :3:

We have two at one of the other city farms I work at, they're called Jenny and Edward (the mainly black one and mainly ginger one respectively) and they are lovely.

The other pigs I worked with spend most of their time trying to eat you and are generally assholes, these guys are adorable and just want scratches and pets (and food.) I may also be bias as these guys have been trained to sit down for food, which is the best party trick for school visits.

They are beautiful!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

The big goats got sheared this week. I used a set of dog clippers and got such a nice, smooth, close shave. I love them! No cuts on all their weird skin folds either. I'm always fascinated when I get to see them looking like real goats.

Dido and Electra spent the whole time trying to bit me. You can see how thrilled they were to be naked.

Such impotent goat rage.

Iph loved it and kept jumping back onto the stand when I was shearing everyone else. She immediately got filthy though.

She ran off to wolf down apples.

Dido and Electra's neck flaps were challenging to shear with my big sheep shears but not a problem with the dog clippers.

Tootsie is looking nice and shiny. Her skin has really improved in the time I've had her. She used to be pretty dull and had terrible dandruff.

I can't believe she's still letting Ginger nurse. Those goats are so clingy.

I let her keep the beard.

Angela got really sick after shearing. I think she wandered off onto my neighbor's property and ate something she shouldn't have. She's doing much better now.

Naked Iph was being a wild goat.

Now I have nearly 20 lbs of mohair to skirt and the little goats are up next.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Oh man I can't wait to see the yarn your lil cinnamon duders make.

Iph is Dumbaby, correct?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Tasty_Crayon posted:

Oh man I can't wait to see the yarn your lil cinnamon duders make.

Iph is Dumbaby, correct?

That's her. She's still pretty dumb but not really a baby anymore.

She's almost as tall as Dido but still pretty leggy and awkward.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

A Day in the Life of a Farmer: Carefully Shaved Balls and a Head Full of Maggots

It's getting to be fall here rather suddenly and a lot of things need to be done before I leave for my brother's wedding on the 19th. I decided (because I'm dumb) to do a bunch of these things yesterday and today while I'm here alone instead of any other day this week when I would have help. I figured none of them are that hard and I have the dog with me so it should be no problem.

First I needed to get the boys from one pasture to another so they're further away from the ewes who should start cycling any time now. In this terrible mspaint map I needed to get them from pasture A to pasture C. The black bars are gates the green parts are unfenced lawn. Not pictured is the giant lake right in front of the gate leading out of pasture A.

I zip tied a bunch of cattle panels together so the sheep couldn't get out onto the lawn when going from A to B and then hopefully shook a bucket of grain and watched the boys come running. The ram lambs, the yearlings and Al charged through the lake and ran off into pasture B to gorge on grain but the older boys went skidding to a halt and walked away as soon as they saw the water. I tried chasing them through but they would split off and go running as soon as we got to the gate.

Finally the dog stopped eating poop long enough to notice me chasing sheep and ran to help. Unfortunately he herded them in the exact opposite direction I wanted them to be going in and then just spazzed out and did laps for a while. I ran in front of the group to get them turned around and one butted me right in the pelvis. That boy was on the ground so fast he didn't know what hit him but that didn't really help me get them in the right pasture.

After that I decided to stop being an idiot and chasing sheep around when it clearly wasn't working. Instead I built a little bridge over the lake and made a breadcrumb trail of grain over it. They tromped right across like it was no big deal. While they were wandering by I noticed that one of them stank. Not like ram piss grossness but rotting flesh grossness. I managed to get them all cornered and find that Thing 2, one of the 2011 boys, had his horns completely covered in flies. There were no obvious wounds but I hauled him into the barn to clean up.

After hosing off the flies and dirt I saw hidden behind his horns was a whole field of maggots. Just hanging out and wriggling around. I nearly heaved. I drenched his head in fly/screw worm spray and they started falling off and dying pretty quickly. He was snuffling a lot so I was worried he had some that had burrowed into his sinuses but after a day of antibiotics he isn't doing it anymore so I think he just had a respiratory infection along with the head maggot issue.

I don't even like this ram. He is mean to me and beats the poo poo out of the other sheep and I was planning on making him the guest of honor at Christmas dinner this year but I couldn't just let him get eaten alive by flies so now he's in a comfy stall with lots of grain and alfalfa and feeling much better.

I got the Thing into a stall and bribed all the boys into pasture C without incident after that and spent the rest of the night hosing dead flesh stink off of my clothes and myself.

After all of that, today I decided to shear Heath and get him fitted for the latest fashion in goat contraception, the olor aka the goat condom.

He can't live with the sheep boys because he would die in the fence but I'm hoping to avoid January kids so I'm giving this a try. If it doesn't work its not the end of the world but its worth a shot. Heath was really good about the whole shearing thing until I got to his backside. As soon as I picked up his giant goat balls you would have thought I was murdering him. I was very gentle but all that ball hair needed to come off or it would end up a matted gross mess by spring. Nothing like shaving some balls while a traumatized goat is screaming in your ear.

After goat condom fitting and treating the Thing again I brought all the ewes in and put coats on the finewools in preparation for starting to need to feed hay again. One was limping so I messed with her hoof but I think she just tweaked her ankle in a hole because it seemed healthy enough. They got moved into pasture A and now I have a safe distance between those wooly hussies and the boys and I can rest easy that they aren't going to be getting into shenanigans while I'm out of town.

It's only 1:30 now but I'm so ready for a nap.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

while I'm out of town.

Who takes care of your critters while you're out of town? I don't see a whole lot of people willing to be surrogate farmers on the usual petsitting boards...

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

Oh christ, flystrike. Remember that tiny goat I posted? He got flystrike on his butt on day two! :suicide:
Are you absolutely sure he doesn't have them burrowing in? They are so good at hiding and only showing up the next day when the poor thing is screaming from pain and the maggots are fat and happily eating everything around.
(The goat is fine, it was just An Experience to have to pick maggots out of his flesh by hand :barf:)

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop

Pogonodon posted:

(The goat is fine, it was just An Experience to have to pick maggots out of his flesh by hand :barf:)

This is literally one of my worst and most horrifying nightmares. I'll have to deal with it at some point but the idea makes me want to curl up into a ball and die.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

Mine too, but when the critter is screaming and all you can think is "gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress I hope they haven't reached his spinal cord yet", you don't feel much until later.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

daggerdragon posted:

Who takes care of your critters while you're out of town? I don't see a whole lot of people willing to be surrogate farmers on the usual petsitting boards...

My neighbor is going to come by and make sure everyone has water and no one is stuck in the fence. Right now they're all on pasture full time, no one should be having lambs or anything that needs supervision, and the weather isn't dangerous so they really don't need much daily care. It was actually harder to find someone to watch my crazy dog than the livestock.

Pogonodon posted:

Oh christ, flystrike. Remember that tiny goat I posted? He got flystrike on his butt on day two! :suicide:
Are you absolutely sure he doesn't have them burrowing in? They are so good at hiding and only showing up the next day when the poor thing is screaming from pain and the maggots are fat and happily eating everything around.

Yeah I flushed him out real good 3 days in a row and soaked him in permethrin. No more maggots. Well, at least on him. I found Dennis in the fence with a maggot-y horn wound this morning so now he's in the stink pen with Thing getting hosed out and treated. Flies are awful this year. I'll be happy when the first frost comes and starts killing them off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

Yeah I flushed him out real good 3 days in a row and soaked him in permethrin. No more maggots.

Well that's fanta--

I found Dennis in the fence with a maggot-y horn wound this morning

:gonk:

You need a triple dose of fly predators, badly. More predators until no flies are left to scourge the land!
Or until winter. Either/or.

• Locked thread