Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

ruro posted:

TCAM/CAM utilisation may be an issue for service providers, but I'd be surprised if that was an issue for anybody else.

Shouldn't be, since by design IPv6 addressing and allocation is constructed entirely around the idea of using summary addresses for everything. If nothing else, it should reduce the size of routing tables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ruro posted:

Either you have a great memory for numbers or I have a terrible one. I can generally remember down to region and perhaps site if it's an important one :(.

It probably helps that a large number of my customers are on one of three ISPs, so in general simply remembering which of those they're on tells me the first two octets. Beyond that I guess its just using it regularly. I have to think about my own phone number, but I can log in to a router in a Lockheed building in Akron off the top of my head.

quote:

The internal draft IPv6 addressing standard they have where I work at the moment is easier for me to remember than the IPv4 standard as there are sufficient 'fields' to use for pertinent information, e.g.: <routing prefix>:site/cust id:building:level:level-net:host or <routing prefix>:dc num:cust id:cust-net:device-type:host.

That's not a bad idea, if you have appropriate standardization as it sounds like you do. This is certainly what's nice about IPv6 giving us a lot of space to do arbitrary things with numbers.

psydude posted:

Shouldn't be, since by design IPv6 addressing and allocation is constructed entirely around the idea of using summary addresses for everything. If nothing else, it should reduce the size of routing tables.

I had heard routing table size and CAM space discussed so regularly by those complaining about going to IPv6 that I just took it as fact, since it seemed to make sense. My best routers run FreeBSD on Celerons, so I've never had to deal directly with anything CAM-equipped.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

psydude posted:

Are any of you running MetroE through AT&T in the DC area? I'm trying to get a general idea of pricing, but their website is very coy and I'm not allowed to talk to sales because I'm a contractor.

e: We already have an ingress, which I know makes a big difference.
In my experience, AT&T charges about double everyone else for Metro E and doesn't want you to buy a layer 2 product anyway.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
Apparently the Nexus 5K doesn't support LDAP authentication (except via RADIUS) while the Nexus 7K does. I guess it will be the only device on the network still using RADIUS. :sad:

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
TCAM space is totally an issue even at large datacenters on IPv4.

But going to 128 bits is the least of the problems with IPv6, it's the extension header system that is the biggest problem.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Ninja Rope posted:

TCAM space is totally an issue even at large datacenters on IPv4.

But going to 128 bits is the least of the problems with IPv6, it's the extension header system that is the biggest problem.

RFC6980 makes (in essence) a recommendation that extension headers should not be present on ND traffic (or at the least, not the fragment header). Other than the security issue they pose on the local LAN I'm not aware of any reason to ban them outright? Not like we're going to make forwarding decisions on extension headers.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
Unless you're maintaining state based on some arbitrary bit offset in the extension header in which case the implications are far reaching.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

ragzilla posted:

RFC6980 makes (in essence) a recommendation that extension headers should not be present on ND traffic (or at the least, not the fragment header). Other than the security issue they pose on the local LAN I'm not aware of any reason to ban them outright? Not like we're going to make forwarding decisions on extension headers.

Maybe not on the headers themselves, but network devices that don't properly process the headers can't find the layer 4 header, should you wish to take action on that (such as drop traffic destined to a specific port). Last I spoke with the vendors, there isn't a hardware-based forwarding solution from Cisco or Juniper that will properly process extension headers.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Ninja Rope posted:

Maybe not on the headers themselves, but network devices that don't properly process the headers can't find the layer 4 header, should you wish to take action on that (such as drop traffic destined to a specific port). Last I spoke with the vendors, there isn't a hardware-based forwarding solution from Cisco or Juniper that will properly process extension headers.

Not at wire rate no. It's the same problem we have with option headers in IPv4, you punt to the slow path if you can because the hardware can't deal with variable length headers. In practice, I imagine extension headers in v6 will face the same problem as option headers in v4. They'll be useful inside an AS for their local policy (eg proposed mobile v6 uses) but inter-AS will be limited due to hardware only platforms which will drop the packet, or networks who decide the perceived security headaches aren't worth it.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Is there a cost effective (like, not hundreds and hundreds of bucks) way to add gigabit Ethernet to this 1841 I have here? My googling seems to suggest no, but I just want to make sure before I give up on the idea entirely.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

moron posted:

Is there a cost effective (like, not hundreds and hundreds of bucks) way to add gigabit Ethernet to this 1841 I have here? My googling seems to suggest no, but I just want to make sure before I give up on the idea entirely.

1841, if yours is modular and not a fixed chassis, uses HWIC, and to get 1GB you'd need: HWIC-1GE-SFP

Ebay seems to suggest there are not any < $100+ options.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

moron posted:

If you don't mind 2u, get a used c3825 for <$200.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

routenull0 posted:

1841, if yours is modular and not a fixed chassis, uses HWIC, and to get 1GB you'd need: HWIC-1GE-SFP

Ebay seems to suggest there are not any < $100+ options.

Even if you added a 1gbit hwic to an 1841, the router itself is only rated for 40mbit/sec (75kpps). The 3825 can push 350kpps, which is a healthy 180mbit/sec

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

CrazyLittle posted:

Even if you added a 1gbit hwic to an 1841, the router itself is only rated for 40mbit/sec (75kpps). The 3825 can push 350kpps, which is a healthy 180mbit/sec

Ah poo poo. Well that's too bad. I just have the 1841 lying around from CCNA studying and thought i might set it up instead of the piece-of-poo poo router I have hooked into my DSL modem. I was kinda looking for something with decent gigabit performance though, so never mind.

I'm pretty sure the answer is 'no', but are there any Cisco routers offering gigabit and decent performance, but in a more 'home friendly' package than the 3825? Basically i'm thinking small(er), quiet(er), runs IOS and preferably EOL a few years ago so i can get it off eBay for like £200 or less. Kinda like a better 1721, or something.

I know this probably doesn't exist, but I'd like to be sure before giving up and buying something from a different vendor.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Does not exist.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

jwh posted:

Does not exist.

Figured as much. I guess I'll just wait ten years and then buy a 819 off eBay for peanuts.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

moron posted:

... hooked into my DSL modem. I was kinda looking for something with decent gigabit performance though ...

Do you really need a GigE interface for a DSL connection? That 1841 you have should rock anything through ADSL2+ speeds, and FastE would not be a bottleneck.

Gap In The Tooth
Aug 16, 2004
Yeah I don't understand why you feel the need to get gigabit on your edge router if the WAN connection is under 100Mbps.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Gap In The Tooth posted:

Yeah I don't understand why you feel the need to get gigabit on your edge router if the WAN connection is under 100Mbps.

Because Linksys and D-Link told him he needs it.

jwh posted:

Does not exist.

A C7206VXR NPE-G1 would work...

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

SamDabbers posted:

Do you really need a GigE interface for a DSL connection? That 1841 you have should rock anything through ADSL2+ speeds, and FastE would not be a bottleneck.

The answer is you definitely do not need GigE for anything DSL in the real world. VDSL2 technically supports 250mbit/sec down at very short distances, but at even half-kilometer range is only rated for 100mbit/sec. I can't find anyone commercially offering service claiming more than that on a single pair. There's only so much you can ask of voice-grade copper.

A warning about home use of an 1841 though, a lot of home devices expect UPnP to be available for getting through NAT. Xbox Live is one of those things. Without properly functioning UPnP you have about a 50/50 shot of online play working at all, and if you have roommates/family also trying to use their own at the same time its an absolute guarantee that someone will be disappointed.

I used an 1841 for about a year and immediately swapped it out for OpenWRT (later pfSense) when I got back in to gaming.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

wolrah posted:

The answer is you definitely do not need GigE for anything DSL in the real world.

I think a lot of the push for "gig on router" at the SOHO level comes from marketting gibberish by D-Link, where all they've done is slap a gigabit switch-on-chip onto the side of their "gamer router" broadcom router. Of course you can accomplish the exact same thing by plugging in any off-the-shelf gigabit switch into one of the Fast Ethernet ports of the 1841, but that's not as glamorous. That's also where my annoyance at routing-on-switches comes from. You can have a decent switch paired with a decent router for less money, or you can try to combine the two in one and end up with compromises.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

CrazyLittle posted:

You can have a decent switch paired with a decent router for less money, or you can try to combine the two in one and end up with compromises.

Annoyingly this isn't entirely true. For average home users it is of course, but for the slightly geekier user the (which I assume is most posting in this thread) switch-in-router tends to be better on any platform where open alternative firmwares are available. Those switch-on-a-chips tend to have a variety of basic management features which aren't exposed in the official software. They of course exist the same in the standalone home switches, but without any interface (see http://spritesmods.com/?art=rtl8366sb for someone actually doing something about that).

It's a minor point, but to those who care its very nice. There is no cheaper managed switch than a hacked home router, especially if you happen to need one in a hurry making retail availability a factor.

That said I do a best of both worlds with a standalone pfSense attached to hacked routers operating solely as switches.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Gap In The Tooth posted:

Sorry, perhaps I should have explained better - I wasn't going to hook my lovely DSL connection into the gigabit port (I mentioned that purely to illustrate that I'll be using it in my primary home network rather than in an isolated test lab). I was planning on trunking multiple vlans into it, and didn't want to be constrained by a 100mbit port, as the rest of my switches are 2960Gs.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I'm thinking of using a SRX210 with the DOCSIS 3 module as a modem at home. Good idea or bad idea?

Flash z0rdon
Aug 11, 2013

good idea just use the Junos CLI and not J-web.

J-web sucks and it's pretty embarrasing Juniper after ALL THESE YEARS of having SRX you have lovely J-Web when Cisco has ASDM and Palo-Alto has PAN-OS.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Uhh who would use J Web in any serious fashion? We disable it on all our switches and routers as well.

Flash z0rdon
Aug 11, 2013

That's what im saying.

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

Has anyone had a look at the 6800ia switches? They look like they'd be a nice replacement for our 4948e top of rack switches as they can be stacked and act like a nexus 2k when connected to a 6800 or a 6500 with sup 2t if I'm understanding the product page correctly. Alas we can't afford to replace our 6500s with Nexus :(.

workape
Jul 23, 2002

Flash z0rdon posted:

That's what im saying.

I think doomisland was trying to fan the flames of the gui vs cli holywar, which was won many years ago by the minions of the all mighty cli. ALL HAIL #

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
ScreenOS may be the only exception to the cli > webui rule.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

F5 and Palo Alto come to mind, too.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Stonesoft and Sonicwall.

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

falz posted:

ScreenOS may be the only exception to the cli > webui rule.

Cisco WLC.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

ruro posted:

Has anyone had a look at the 6800ia switches? They look like they'd be a nice replacement for our 4948e top of rack switches as they can be stacked and act like a nexus 2k when connected to a 6800 or a 6500 with sup 2t if I'm understanding the product page correctly. Alas we can't afford to replace our 6500s with Nexus :(.

If most of your traffic is north/south it would be a side-grade I suppose. The current release units have few 10G ports and act like a 2k FEX in that they send all data up to the parent switch. You would also need a WS-6509 card along with the 2T sup to support it.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

bort posted:

F5 and Palo Alto come to mind, too.

Palo Alto's web UI is insanely powerful. Not to say I don't drop to CLI on a regular basis for advanced stuff, but the capability to name/search/sort objects/traffic is really, really good in the Palo web gui.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

For policy work there's really no choice with Palo Alto, since all the configuration files are XML, and god knows how those things are organized. They're huge.

Also, god forbid you get one of them corrupted (I speak from experience).

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
So, IPv6...

I understand that it's basically
code:
xxxx:xxxx:          <== the ISP
xxxx:               <== the individual user/site/section of ISP space
xxxx:               <== the subnet
xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx <== the individual interface

(ISP:ISP:YOU:SUB:INT:INT:INT:INT)
But is there a sort of standard for private networking, or is that going to be a thing of the past? Like, when I make test labs, I generally use 10.0.0.0/24 for a subnet, 10.0.1.0/24 for the next subnet, 10.0.2.0/24 for the next subnet, etc. How should I translate this to IPv6?

Local addresses just have FDXX as the prefix (/16), so would it be feasible to use FD00:1::/32, FD00:2::/32, etc. as my subnets? Or should I be fully-qualifying them as /64 prefixes e.g. FDAA:AAAA:AAAA:1::/64?

Or can I prefix down even smaller, since I can't imagine having 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF hosts in one subnet? So: FD00::1:/112, FD00::2:/112, and so on?

I guess IPv6's focus is supposed to be more on global addressing, and not working as a solution for smaller, private addressing, but it's just something I'm curious about. Since I work in a large organization, I work a lot with 10.x.x.x and 192.168.x.x networks, so that's the last piece of the puzzle for me to wrap my brain around with regards to v6 :)

bort
Mar 13, 2003

/\ /\ there are RFC4193 addresses which begin with fc00::/7 as well as the link local addresses you're discussing. Neither will beLink local addresses aren't routable, but your hosts will likely have global addresses, as well. The other thing to remember is that if you subnet below /64 you will break SLAAC on the subnet. That may not be a problem but I think it's going to be important in network designs.

I think RFC4193 addresses will be able to be routed if you and a peer agree on it, but will probably be filtered at the border by ISPs.

ior posted:

Cisco WLC.
Haha no doubt.

Pet peeve:
code:
$ ssh wladmin@chi-wisma

(WiSM-slot11-1)
User:
and
config ap syslog host global <ip>

Who decided to have APs log to broadcast?

bort fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 22, 2013

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

QPZIL posted:

So, IPv6...

I understand that it's basically
code:
xxxx:xxxx:          <== the ISP
xxxx:               <== the individual user/site/section of ISP space
xxxx:               <== the subnet
xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx <== the individual interface

(ISP:ISP:YOU:SUB:INT:INT:INT:INT)
But is there a sort of standard for private networking, or is that going to be a thing of the past? Like, when I make test labs, I generally use 10.0.0.0/24 for a subnet, 10.0.1.0/24 for the next subnet, 10.0.2.0/24 for the next subnet, etc. How should I translate this to IPv6?

Local addresses just have FDXX as the prefix (/16), so would it be feasible to use FD00:1::/32, FD00:2::/32, etc. as my subnets? Or should I be fully-qualifying them as /64 prefixes e.g. FDAA:AAAA:AAAA:1::/64?

Or can I prefix down even smaller, since I can't imagine having 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF hosts in one subnet? So: FD00::1:/112, FD00::2:/112, and so on?

I guess IPv6's focus is supposed to be more on global addressing, and not working as a solution for smaller, private addressing, but it's just something I'm curious about. Since I work in a large organization, I work a lot with 10.x.x.x and 192.168.x.x networks, so that's the last piece of the puzzle for me to wrap my brain around with regards to v6 :)

fc00::/7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

You can also have multiple IPv6 addresses per interface, so yeah.