Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Does anyone have any Alcest / Falloch style post-doom suggestions? I like the orchestral stuff, and although it's blasphemous I don't like non-clean vocals much in this style of music. Any ideas anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Stoat posted:

Does anyone have any Alcest / Falloch style post-doom suggestions? I like the orchestral stuff, and although it's blasphemous I don't like non-clean vocals much in this style of music. Any ideas anyone?
Deafheaven? They're more black metal, and Bay Area hipsters like them, but they're pretty good.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Just FYI the new Watain album owns owns owns.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
I'm trying to find a metal album/group based on an album cover I remember. They were a death metal group, and the album cover featured a devastated city with a bunch of twisted, smashed bodies littering the streets (so unique to metal, right?). Either the first or second track featured a title with something like "seepage" or "sewage" in it. Sorry I can't be any more specific.

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
Saprogenic - The Wet Sound of Flesh on Concrete sounds like it might be it.
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Saprogenic/The_Wet_Sound_of_Flesh_on_Concrete/28834

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Stoat posted:

Agalloch, October Falls, Woe, Ayr and Wolves in the Throne Room's last album "Celestial Lineage" might be up your alley. They veer more towards black metal than doom, but the atmospherics are very similar.

If you like Alcest you might also like Lantlos or Old Silver Key, both projects that Neige has been involved in.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

QPZIL posted:

Agreed. It's like the soundtrack to an epic satanic western. I dig it!

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Stoat posted:

Les Discrets is the project of a former member of Alcest and is pretty cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHdnqo3PTtM

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

There's a great Oderus Urungus interview on VICE: http://noisey.vice.com/blog/gwar-is-laughing-at-you-not-with-you-1

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

Any !T.O.O.H.! fans here? Rad a Trest is one of my all-time favorite death metal albums, and they just released a new one for free. I don't know what the site policy is on mediafire links provided by the band themselves, so I'll just post their Facebook page where you can find it: https://www.facebook.com/tooh.info

Woah, free TOOH, wicked. It's pretty different from their old stuff, it gives me lots of Gong and Magma vibes(in a good way). Definitely worth a listen for free.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think it's pretty disappointing but there's something to like about it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Agreed. It's like the soundtrack to an epic satanic western. I dig it!

Hahaha I totally hear it now.

drat, the part after the spoken word section in "Black Flames March" owns so so much. I had a crick in my neck when I got to work because of that song.

Thorias
Jun 3, 2008

QPZIL posted:

This, a thousand times. "They Rode On" is absolutely amazing.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuBZF9mKyGM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi2nQSYCnqs

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
I'm finally[ getting around to listening to Colored Sands. It is really cool, but it's also very bizarre to hear a Gorguts that actually sounds quite like Ulcerate and Deathspell Omega.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

John Magnum posted:

I'm finally getting around to listening to Colored Sands. It is really cool, but it's also very bizarre to hear a Gorguts that actually sounds quite like Ulcerate and Deathspell Omega.

DsO took a lot of inspiration from Obscura's style so Gorguts has always sounded a bit like them to me. Or the other way around but whatever.

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
Yeah, Fas especially. It's just weird to hear the influence going the other way, now that it's been long enough since Gorguts's last album for them to listen to the later bands who were inspired by them.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Speaking of Ulcerate, who else is pumped about their upcoming album?

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Speaking of Ulcerate, who else is pumped about their upcoming album?

VERY PUMPED. The second promo track was unbelievably sick.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Thorias posted:

This, a thousand times. "They Rode On" is absolutely amazing.

I like the guitar work in that song, in parts, but I hate this track. Otherwise I like the album. I was hoping for a Malfeitor-like song but I'll get over the disappointment as long as they play it on tour this fall

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 18, 2013

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Morbid Florist posted:

I like the guitar work in that song, in parts, but I hate this track. Otherwise I like the album. I was hoping for a Malfeitor-like song but I'll get over the disappointment as long as they play it on tour this fall

Yeah, so far there's nothing on the album as amazing as "Malfeitor" or "Waters of Ain" (then again, I can't imagine anything touching that song). But on the whole, it's still a great great album.

"Black Flames March" has some amazingly heavy and hateful riffs, especially right after the spoken-word part. "All That May Bleed" is a nice change of pace back to Sworn to the Dark-era Watain. "They Rode On" is just fantastic (haters gonna hate). "Wild Hunt" is really unique for a Watain song.

Lots of great stuff on here. It's no Lawless Darkness, for sure, but still great.

fakeedit - how many times can I say "great" in one post?

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
Turisas2013 leaked. It's absolutely goddamn ridiculous. I like it, but I have a very strong tolerance for cheese. Greek Fire is probably the best song on it.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

QPZIL posted:

Yeah, so far there's nothing on the album as amazing as "Malfeitor" or "Waters of Ain" (then again, I can't imagine anything touching that song). But on the whole, it's still a great great album.

"Black Flames March" has some amazingly heavy and hateful riffs, especially right after the spoken-word part. "All That May Bleed" is a nice change of pace back to Sworn to the Dark-era Watain. "They Rode On" is just fantastic (haters gonna hate). "Wild Hunt" is really unique for a Watain song.

Lots of great stuff on here. It's no Lawless Darkness, for sure, but still great.

fakeedit - how many times can I say "great" in one post?

De Profundis is probably the standout for me so far. Love the riffing/changes in pace on that track. Very impressed overall, considering how scared I was that they'd just try and push out a Sworn to the Dark or Lawless Darkness pt. 2.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

John Magnum posted:

Yeah, Fas especially. It's just weird to hear the influence going the other way, now that it's been long enough since Gorguts's last album for them to listen to the later bands who were inspired by them.

Yeah, but god drat it sounds good once the weird wears off (and it does).

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
There's a special place in hell for people who wear rucksacks to metal gigs. I'm not a violent person, but when some dickhead in front of me keeps bumping into me with his loving lunchbox or whatever I want to hulk out.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
It makes me wonder what kind of fancy pants douche can't leave the house for 3 hours without an inventory

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Or he was homeless. Did he have a pungent odor? If so then he was probably homeless.

Oh, nevermind I forgot you said you were at a metal show where everybody reeks of putrefaction.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
I always take a bag with me if I'm at a gig that's miles away. If you're going to crash on someone's couch/floor, you should take a sleeping bag just in case. Common sense.

Although, it should be noted, I chuck my stuff in a quiet corner/backstage or put it in the cloakroom.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Inventory? Cloakroom? What are the venues like in Tristram?

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Danzig, Butcher Babies, Texas Hippie Coalition & A Pale Horse Named Death Tour Officially Revealed

The new leg of Danzig‘s 25th anniversary tour with Doyle has now been officially announced. The trek will indeed feature Butcher Babies, Texas Hippie Coalition and A Pale Horse Named Death as support with dates revealed thus far listed below:

10/08 Ft. Lauderdale, FL – Revolution

10/09 Tampa, FL – The Cuban Club

10/11 Nashville, TN – Marathon Music Works

10/12 Atlanta, GA – Center Stage

10/13 Charlotte, NC – The Fillmore Charlotte

10/15 Norfolk, VA – Norva Theater

10/17 Niagara Falls, NY – Rapids Theatre

10/18 New York, NY – Roseland Ballroom

10/19 Worcester, MA – The Palladium

10/21 Pittsburgh, PA – Stage AE

10/23 Grand Rapids, MI – The Orbit Room

10/24 Louisville, KY – Expo Five

10/26 Houston, TX – Warehouse Live

10/27 Oklahoma City, OK – Diamond Ballroom

10/29 El Paso, TX – Tricky Falls

10/31 San Francisco, CA – The Warfield

Ugh, what an atrocious loving line up!!! I just want to hear Danzig and Doyle play Astro Zombies and then be back home and in the bed before 11PM.

Edit: More dates to see boobies and fat rednecks!!!

Baron Von Ghoulosh fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 21, 2013

Ganondork
Dec 26, 2012

Ganondork

QPZIL posted:

THIS

Thanks for the suggestion, The Wild Hunt does not disappoint. :rock:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
hey francostein you're getting your wish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VNknU4rIQw

I don't give a poo poo about anything BTBAM put out past Alaska, and I don't like the Contortionist, but Faceless should be cool.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

muike posted:

hey francostein you're getting your wish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VNknU4rIQw

I don't give a poo poo about anything BTBAM put out past Alaska, and I don't like the Contortionist, but Faceless should be cool.

Ah poo poo I would so go to that if it wasn't coming near me on a Tuesday. I'm so not driving back from Orlando to Tampa after a show then going to work the next day, I'm not in college anymore.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

edrith posted:

Turisas2013 leaked. It's absolutely goddamn ridiculous. I like it, but I have a very strong tolerance for cheese. Greek Fire is probably the best song on it.

It was released here today, so I grabbed it. People pining after the Battle Metal of old are gonna cry foul though, as this is... something else entirely. The production sounds pretty dry, and while there are still orchestrated parts, as a whole the album sounds a whole lot less grandiose than Stand Up and Fight.
It's gonna take a few spins to fully digest, but yeah I quite like it too. drat fun stuff, and I imagine quite a few of these tracks oughta be a loving riot live. Then there's Greek Fire, which sounds ominous and malevolent and badass as hell. You know, relatively speaking.
Also, No Good Story Ever Starts With Drinking Tea is the best drinking song title ever.

EDIT: Oh the release date was moved to the 23rd. Goddamnit I want my physical copy already so I can browse the booklet!

Nordick fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 21, 2013

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies
Tour!

Esoteric/Velnias/Saturnalia MMXIII Tour dates
9/17 : Las Vegas, NV*
9/18 : San Francisco, CA*
9/20 - 9/22 : Soda Springs, CA (Stella Natura Festival)
9/23 : Portland, OR
9/24 : Seattle, WA
9/25 : Boise, ID
9/26 : Salt Lake City, UT
9/27 : Colorado Springs, CO
9/28 : Chicago, IL
9/30 : Indianapolis, IN
10/1 : Columbus, OH
10/2 : Pittsburgh, PA
10/3 : Baltimore, MD
10/4 : New York City, NY
10/5 : Boston, MA
10/7 : Milwaukee, WI*
10/8 : Minneapolis, MN*

* - These shows will be played without the company of Esoteric.

This is all I got from my mailing list. I guess venues are coming BUT OH poo poo ESOTERIC.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

Stoat posted:

It's not doom and there's plenty of clean singing, but Ulver's Bergtatt might hit the spot.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

thepitgoddess posted:

Tour!

Esoteric/Velnias/Saturnalia MMXIII Tour dates
9/17 : Las Vegas, NV*
9/18 : San Francisco, CA*
9/20 - 9/22 : Soda Springs, CA (Stella Natura Festival)
9/23 : Portland, OR
9/24 : Seattle, WA
9/25 : Boise, ID
9/26 : Salt Lake City, UT
9/27 : Colorado Springs, CO
9/28 : Chicago, IL
9/30 : Indianapolis, IN
10/1 : Columbus, OH
10/2 : Pittsburgh, PA
10/3 : Baltimore, MD
10/4 : New York City, NY
10/5 : Boston, MA
10/7 : Milwaukee, WI*
10/8 : Minneapolis, MN*

* - These shows will be played without the company of Esoteric.

This is all I got from my mailing list. I guess venues are coming BUT OH poo poo ESOTERIC.

I wonder if it'd be worth it to uhh fly out to Baltimore just to see Esoteric.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I'm really impressed Lesbian's sound on their new album, "Forestelevision". There's just such a thick and well realized variety of sound: from sprinklings of synth arpeggios rising from sludgy riffs to the King Diamondesque vocals toward the end of the album. I can't get enough of it. This is one of my favourite releases of the year.

http://lesbian.bandcamp.com

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 22, 2013

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
That's a hell of a lot better than the band name made me thought it would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

aliencowboy posted:

I'm really impressed Lesbian's sound on their new album, "Forestelevision". There's just such a thick and well realized variety of sound: from sprinklings of synth arpeggios rising from sludgy riffs to the King Diamondesque vocals toward the end of the album. I can't get enough of it. This is one of my favourite releases of the year.

http://lesbian.bandcamp.com

e: Disregard this. I apparently couldn't read the sign that says download right next to the track.

This is way better than something by a band called Lesbian has any right to be.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 23, 2013