Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of August 15):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    The Wonderful 101 - €49.99 / £39.99
    Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Blacklist - €69.99 / £55.99
WII U eSHOP
    Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams - €14.99 / £12.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (SNES) - €7.99 / £5.49
    Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting (SNES) - €7.99 / £5.49
    Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers (SNES) - €7.99 / £5.49
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Buy Pikmin 3 on the eShop, get Wonderful 101 on the eShop for 30% off! - ends September 21
    Buy any two versions of Street Fighter 2, get the third free! - from August 22-29
    Trine 2: Directors' Cut (Wii U eShop) - €6.79 / £5.49 until September 5

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Funfair Party Games - €19.99 / £17.99
    Boulder Dash XL-3D - €4.99 / £4.49
3DS eSHOP
    Cut The Rope - €4.99 / £4.49
    ARC STYLE: Football 3D - €4.99 / £4.49
    FISH ON 3D - €8.99 / £8.09
    Carps & Dragons - €4.99 / £4.49
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Solomon's Key (NES) - €3.99 / £3.59
DSiWARE
    Quick Fill Q - 200 Points / €1.99 / £1.79
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS) - 30% off all DLC packs/bundles until August 31
    Funfair Party Games (3DS eShop) - €14.99 / £13.49 from August 22-September 5
    escapeVektor (3DS eShop) - €5.00 / £4.49 until August 22
    Crash City Mayhem (3DS eShop) - €9.99 / £8.99 until August 22
    Rising Board 3D (3DS eShop) - €1.49 / £1.29 until August 22

You've gotta be loving kidding, Ubisoft.

Giana Sisters is allegedly pretty good, no idea if they've changed/added anything for the Wii U version.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Aug 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Giana Sisters is allegedly pretty good, no idea if they've changed/added anything for the Wii U version.
There's off-TV play on the gamepad, and a (recently added to the PC) Easy Mode that wrinkles out some of the more annoying bits.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I have no idea what you are talking about. I for one look forward to the day Ubisoft comes forth and moans about the lack of sales their software bring on the console and announce their plans to drop any support for the thing.

Clearly it's all that quality first party software squeezing them out of the market. It has to be.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
It's really weird that they are releasing three versions of Street Fighter 2 at the same time and having a buy two get one free promotion on them.
I mean, I guess it's better than slowly drip feeding them in release order like I think they did on the Wii VC, but is there any reason why someone wouldn't only buy the most recent version?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Pyrovile posted:

I mean, I guess it's better than slowly drip feeding them in release order like I think they did on the Wii VC, but is there any reason why someone wouldn't only buy the most recent version?

Every version has its own peculiarities and nuances, subtle pluses and minuses that matter to the hardest of the hardcore SF2 nuts. But those people probably already own an arcade-perfect port on another system or their own cabinet.

So basically, no.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Hahahaha they are insane

Is it even retailing for that much?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

European digital prices for retail games are ridiculous on all consoles for some reason. It's been getting a little better but I've seen £50–£60 on PS3 a lot of times now. It makes no sense, is anyone really buying at that price?

I'm surprised that Ubisoft in particular are doing it considering that ZombiU used to be £55 on eShop and I really can't imagine it sold all that well

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

irlZaphod posted:

Hahahaha they are insane

Is it even retailing for that much?

69.99€ is the standard retail price for PS3/360 and it makes sense that it would be the standard price Wii U as well. That's exactly how much they charge on PSN/XBL, too.

Obviously anyone who pays 70 European Dollars for a video game is a dumb idiot hell fucker who has too much money, but unfortunately, plenty of people seem to enjoy getting ripped off. Sensible minds order in the UK for 40 GBP or get it on sale (and there's always a sale).

Help Im Alive posted:

European digital prices for retail games are ridiculous on all consoles for some reason. It's been getting a little better but I've seen £50–£60 on PS3 a lot of times now. It makes no sense, is anyone really buying at that price?

Digital and retail (off-sale) cost the same here, just like in the US. I can tell you exactly how it happened, although I can't explain why: eversince we got the Euro, game pricing was more or less $ = €, which is bullshit but considering prices here in Germany include 19% VAT, it's not that bad ($30+19% tax would come to ~26.80€). However, with the DS, all of a sudden games were $30-35 in the US but 40€ in Germany, and while Xbox 360 games used to be 60€ at first, the PS3 launched and priced their games at 70€ because "Blu-Rays are more expensive." Microsoft saw the new pricepoint and latched onto it, so now we're stuck with $60 games costing 70€ here. As I said, sensible minds order in the UK.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Aug 19, 2013

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
Just to give people outside of Europe an idea as to whether this price is reasonable - on Amazon UK you can pre-order Splinter Cell for 40 pound and for 51.49 Euros on Amazon France.

I`ve seen this kind of thing on the Playstation Store before and just kind of scratched my head at the price.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Katana Gomai posted:

69.99€ is the standard retail price for PS3/360
Not here, I rarely see 360 games for more than €55 or €60

Amazon's always going to be a bit cheaper, but when Game and HMV were still around in Ireland you could get 360 games there for €50-55. Now that we just have Gamestop, you usually pay maybe €60 for them.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

That makes even less sense since the WiiU version doesn't have the local co-op. You'd think they'd knock 5 bucks off the price or something. Well you wouldn't think but you'd hope.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The us version actually is ten bucks cheaper. Though of all the things to cut if they wanted to save money on the WiiU version, why the local co OP? That would be perfect with the game pad. Instead I can look forward to empty online lobbies to a multiplayer game I don't like anyway. Since I am probably the only person buying this game on WiiU.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

greatn posted:

The us version actually is ten bucks cheaper. Though of all the things to cut if they wanted to save money on the WiiU version, why the local co OP? That would be perfect with the game pad. Instead I can look forward to empty online lobbies to a multiplayer game I don't like anyway. Since I am probably the only person buying this game on WiiU.

Shame was I was considering picking it up because I hadn't played one since the original on Xbox and heard good things about the multiplayer but after that interview where one of the design guys was like "Oh, yeah we cut this because of time but we really think the WiiU fans will like getting it at the same time as the others" but it's the same price I went to meh real quick. Same thing with Arkham Origins and the multiplayer. I'll probably just pick that up for PC now (Although i'm hearing really awful things about ITS multiplayer so maybe I wont switch). Unfortunately like EA they'll probably read that as "Oh they didn't like our ports with missing features for the same price? Clearly NOTHING WILL SELL!" as opposed to the logical way but that seems to be the tune playing.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Pyrovile posted:

It's really weird that they are releasing three versions of Street Fighter 2 at the same time and having a buy two get one free promotion on them.

I remember being pissed as a kid getting Street Fighter 2 Turbo and then a few months later they came out with Super Street Fighter 2 with 4 more characters.

I am sure there is some purist out there that must insist on playing the original. Fighting game fans are weird like that.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Astro7x posted:

I remember being pissed as a kid getting Street Fighter 2 Turbo and then a few months later they came out with Super Street Fighter 2 with 4 more characters.

I am sure there is some purist out there that must insist on playing the original. Fighting game fans are weird like that.

They still are different games. If you don't play tons of fighting games/enjoy different versions of SF, just go with Super.

Edit: has anyone else had the eShop tell you the zip code you entered isn't correct and still charge you while not giving you the credit for $ on your eShop account?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't suppose there's any chance that they're going to add Link to the Past to the Wii U eShop in time for the sequel releasing in November, is there? I wanted to play it again before that one comes out, but currently my only option would be to add 1000 points to my Wii shop, on top of the 400 I already have, which would then leave me with 600 left sitting there uselessly.

Man the Wii point system was so stupid.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

I don't suppose there's any chance that they're going to add Link to the Past to the Wii U eShop in time for the sequel releasing in November, is there? I wanted to play it again before that one comes out, but currently my only option would be to add 1000 points to my Wii shop, on top of the 400 I already have, which would then leave me with 600 left sitting there uselessly.

I think that's the whole point. They pick the most awkward prices possible so you have to buy more points

theonlypie314SA
Mar 19, 2013

I'm not sure if this was posted already but Code of Princess, Soul Hackers and Etrian Odyssey IV are $10 off in the NA eShop until August 31st.

Code of Princess - $19.99
Soul Hackers - $29.99
Etrian Odyssey IV - $29.99

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Regy Rusty posted:

Nah, I would guess they'd probably release it at the same time. So you can either wait til then while keeping an eye on the Club Nintendo rewards, or buy it now and get an Art Style game or whatever with the 600 points.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nicalis just announced they're bringing the Kemco iOS RPG Grinsia to the 3DS eShop and PC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4M0CuqpKfk

Uh, okay?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
How is Nicalis still in business? :psyduck:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Ubisoft just announced a 3DS eShop sale - 30% off all titles until August 27. Games include Rayman Origins (bad port, don't buy), Ghost Recon Shadow Wars, Rayman 2 3D, Splinter Cell 3D, Rabbids 3D and Petz Fantazy Whatever (3D). The discount puts 'em all at $19.99, I think, which is still twice as much as you'd pay for the physical versions of some of these games.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Nah, I would guess they'd probably release it at the same time. So you can either wait til then while keeping an eye on the Club Nintendo rewards, or buy it now and get an Art Style game or whatever with the 600 points.

Oh cool I didn't even realize there was anything for 600 points in there. Now I've finally zeroed out my Wii points to never buy anything from there again. :toot:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
For future reference, 600 Points would have bought you an import NES game or a TG16 game, too.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Nicalis just announced they're bringing the Kemco iOS RPG Grinsia to the 3DS eShop and PC:

Uh, okay?

Was this made with RPG Maker?

That's a serious question. Some of those graphics are literally ripped straight from RPG Maker XP's default graphics set.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Uh, okay?

Wow, this looks like an RPGMaker95 game.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Any news on whether or not Giana Sisters is coming out on the US WiiU eshop this week?
I've been putting off getting it on existing platforms so I would have another reason to keep the drat system until it finally gets a steady flow of games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

SilverSupernova posted:

Any news on whether or not Giana Sisters is coming out on the US WiiU eshop this week?
I've been putting off getting it on existing platforms so I would have another reason to keep the drat system until it finally gets a steady flow of games.

NA date is still TBD, it definitely won't be out this week.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I take it the VC Trial series is definitely over at this point?

balgaines
Jan 22, 2001

Time to get serious, people.
Yeah, Donkey Kong was the last of the promo games.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Uh, okay?

Dear god, I'm having flashbacks to all of those crappy RPG Maker 2k3 games I made way back in the day. This looks barely any better than what I made.

Mercury Crusader posted:

How is Nicalis still in business? :psyduck:

Rereleasing Cave Story a million times = lots of :10bux: apparently

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Do not even ask posted:

Rereleasing Cave Story a million times = lots of :10bux: apparently

Yeah, that's pretty much it. I bought Cave Story three times over. (Wii Ware because it was first, DSiWare because I wanted a portable version, and Cave Story+ because it's the best version.) The only one I didn't bother with is Cave Story 3D, because I already owned it three times and it looks like an N64 game.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
So I'm liking Mario's Picross on 3DS and just saw Mario's Super Picross on the PAL Wii U eshop...

Is it worth it? I'm guessing the game is only in Japanese, even though I guess it's not too big of a deal for a puzzle game.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Kurtofan posted:

So I'm liking Mario's Picross on 3DS and just saw Mario's Super Picross on the PAL Wii U eshop...

Is it worth it? I'm guessing the game is only in Japanese, even though I guess it's not too big of a deal for a puzzle game.

They've never put a game in Japanese on the PAL shop as far as I know?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

AngryCaterpillar posted:

They've never put a game in Japanese on the PAL shop as far as I know?

Well Super Picross is on the PAL eshop and it says "This is the Japanese version of the game" since it was only released in Japan.

It's not on the NA eshop.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, it's on the PAL eShop. It was a launch VC title too, which is weird for an import title.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Some 3DS eShop news:

-Retro City Rampage is coming to the eShop, although it won't support stereoscopic 3D. The dev is aiming to have it out for the holidays, we'll see how that goes.

-Does anyone remember Steel Empire, the steampunk shmup for Sega Mega Drive? No? Well, it's coming to the JP eShop at some point.

-Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward may or may not be out on the NA eShop this week, priced at $24.99.

-Shantae and the Pirate's Curse will be playable at the upcoming PAX event, so expect more info on that game soon.

EDIT: oh, and PETIT COMPUTER 3DS! http://smileboom.com/special/ptcm2/html_third.php

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 22, 2013

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

-Does anyone remember Steel Empire, the steampunk shmup for Sega Mega Drive? No? Well, it's coming to the JP eShop at some point.

I remember Steel Empire! If anyone doesn't - imagine a horizontal shoot-em-up like Gradius or whatever, only you can fire left or right, and enemies/bosses will attack from the left or right of the screen to take advantage of that. And it's not a really awkward transition between firing left and right either, like Tail Spin for the NES. It's a decent game.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

I can't wait to download this, make a hello world program, scan some qr codes and then do nothing with it because all the (nearly non-existent) documentation is terrible.

That isn't sarcasm, I actually can't wait and will buy this day one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Some 3DS eShop news:

-Retro City Rampage is coming to the eShop, although it won't support stereoscopic 3D. The dev is aiming to have it out for the holidays, we'll see how that goes.

-Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward may or may not be out on the NA eShop this week, priced at $24.99.

-Shantae and the Pirate's Curse will be playable at the upcoming PAX event, so expect more info on that game soon.

EDIT: oh, and PETIT COMPUTER 3DS! http://smileboom.com/special/ptcm2/html_third.php

I will buy the poo poo out of VLR if that's true.