Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoB
May 1, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

Alright, I'm gonna go ahead and say it since no one else will: how come they keep looking at blonde, blue-eyed actresses to play a woman of mixed Roma/Jewish descent?

Because they can change those things to any color they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
FANTASY CASTING TIME

So we know Downey will be leaving Tony Stark in his rear view eventually right? We were talking about this at work and somebody came to mind that I think would be ideal to step into the role in a few years.

Adam Brody

He's got talent, anyone who watched the OC knows that. He's got the looks and he'll still be fairly young when RDJ retires from the role. He's got nerd cred from his Seth Cohen days. He's also pretty convincing as an arrogant prick but his believablility as a ladies man might need some work. I've also never seen him with facial hair but I'm sure they can glue something to his face.
I've been rolling this around in my head for a few days now and I am convinced he'd be the perfect guy to step into the role. Go watch his first scene in Mr. and Mrs. Smith, he's practically channeling RDJ there.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Are they still going to be Magneto's children? Will they even be mutants?

Probably not. At least not in the general sense. I don't think Marvel can refer to them as mutants per se but since Marvel does have the rights to the Inhumans they can sorta use them as faux mutants.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

BrianWilly posted:

Alright, I'm gonna go ahead and say it since no one else will: how come they keep looking at blonde, blue-eyed actresses to play a woman of mixed Roma/Jewish descent?

The important part of her origin is that she's Magneto's daughter. The important part of Magneto's origin is that he's of mixed Roma/Jewish descent.

This is not true transitively.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

In another sense, it's not unreasonable to expect children to bear some level of resemblance to their parents--even though we all know that's not a law of biology. Plus weren't she and Pierto raised by gypsies or something, only meeting up with Magneto when they were teens?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

mind the walrus posted:

In another sense, it's not unreasonable to expect children to bear some level of resemblance to their parents--even though we all know that's not a law of biology. Plus weren't she and Pierto raised by gypsies or something, only meeting up with Magneto when they were teens?

Unless it's been retconned away due to the character rights issues. Which doesn't really happen biologically.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well there's a very simple explanation for it

quote:

No More Gypsies.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

jscolon2.0 posted:

Unless it's been retconned away due to the character rights issues. Which doesn't really happen biologically.

Yeah, but one reasonably expects to keep a character reasonably consistent across media (comics to movies to T-shirts to action figures), and one of the most recognizable features is hair color. So why not cast a brunette? The whole Roma bit is preferable but hardly expected given how much attention they paid to the Black Widow being Russian.

This is also the same Hollywood where Sony cast two women known for their red hair to play Gwen Stacy.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's pretty ridiculous to cast an actor based solely on their resemblance to how the character is drawn in comic books, considering how easy it is to change a person's physical appearance.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Because they want people who can fill the role and they can have people change their hair color or whatever. I mean, why pass on Olsen if she's best for the part just because of her hair color? Plus she's a pretty good actress.

Like, should they not have got Karen Gillan to play Nebula and looked for an already bald actress or something? Should they have passed on Chris Pratt because he was a little chubby when they were casting?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Don't be patronizing, you know drat well the question was one of "why are all the major choices blonde?" and not "why won't they cast a brunette?"

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I don't know. People are blonde. Blonde is, socially, seen as a 'desireable' hair color for women to have. If you look at an actress' body of work, you are likely to see a very wide array of hair colors, both on screen and in their personal life. It's probably not something casting directors even consider.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Who gives a poo poo about any of this, at all?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

scary ghost dog posted:

Who gives a poo poo about any of this, at all?

INTERNET.

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010
I think the worries about Scarlet Witch's powers are kind of over thinking it. She and Quicksilver are going to be going through their origin phase, and she will be powerful but ill defined and inexperienced, still figuring out her powers. I would bet money they're going to be very Simon and River as far as their characterization, she'll be unpredictable but will have one big moment in the climax. She won't show up able to completely alter reality "no more mutants" style straight off the bat.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Buddington posted:

I think the worries about Scarlet Witch's powers are kind of over thinking it. She and Quicksilver are going to be going through their origin phase, and she will be powerful but ill defined and inexperienced, still figuring out her powers. I would bet money they're going to be very Simon and River as far as their characterization, she'll be unpredictable but will have one big moment in the climax. She won't show up able to completely alter reality "no more mutants" style straight off the bat.

She'll probably have a very toned down version of her powers or if that doesn't make sense on screen, she'll just be a sorceress.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

What I don't understand about Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch appearing in the Avengers is how they will add anything to the Marvel cinematic universe beyond cameo appearances. The Avengers, despite it's flaws, was pretty good at paying off story lines, but these two really feel like they have come from nowhere and don't really belong.

To be honest though, after the conclusion of the first, the entire Ultron storyline doesn't seem to fit in either right now.

I don't know, it feels less like this phase is building towards something and more like The Avengers movies have become just another one of the regular films, rather than a end chapter. I don't think the subtitle helps, rather than numerical titling.

Does anyone else agree with that?

It's the same problem I have with Man of Steel 2 - the direction they are taking it just doesn't feel organic.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

mind the walrus posted:

So why not cast a brunette?

Hair dye is really cheap.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Hey, remember the James Blonde controversy when Daniel Craig was cast? Good, me neither.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

jscolon2.0 posted:

Hey, remember the James Blonde controversy when Daniel Craig was cast? Good, me neither.

"But Emma Stone is known for being a redhead so her playing Gwen Stacy makes no sense at all and furthermore..."
:goonsay:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

PriorMarcus posted:

The Avengers is it's own series. It's not like the comic Avengers are just a yearly annual that builds off storylines from the hero's other books. It's logical that the whole team would have a whole series instead of just constantly jumping off the others. Avengers 1 was set up that established the team-effectively, an origin movie in and of itself.

And up until House of M, I'd say Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch were always more Avenger characters then X characters, so their being here makes sense.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mind the walrus posted:

This is also the same Hollywood where Sony cast two women known for their red hair to play Gwen Stacy.

Emma Stone is a natural blonde. :colbert:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Look at all these people who have never seen Good Hair.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

And up until House of M, I'd say Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch were always more Avenger characters then X characters, so their being here makes sense.

I agree, Quicksilver had been an Avenger for like 20 years, that little stint back with X-Factor is barely a blip.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

PriorMarcus posted:

What I don't understand about Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch appearing in the Avengers is how they will add anything to the Marvel cinematic universe beyond cameo appearances. The Avengers, despite it's flaws, was pretty good at paying off story lines, but these two really feel like they have come from nowhere and don't really belong.

To be honest though, after the conclusion of the first, the entire Ultron storyline doesn't seem to fit in either right now.

I don't know, it feels less like this phase is building towards something and more like The Avengers movies have become just another one of the regular films, rather than a end chapter. I don't think the subtitle helps, rather than numerical titling.

It's the same problem I have with Man of Steel 2 - the direction they are taking it just doesn't feel organic.

It might seem totally arbitrary now, but it will pay off in Phase 4, Avengers 6 when Ultron and Thanatos team up with the antagonist of Phase 3. We promise that it's building up to something and that, by then, all twenty-seven main averagers will have well-defined character arcs. There's a plan.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
...Evidently I wasn't clear enough in my point, otherwise I really hope people are being very facetious right now.

My point was that looking for vanilla-white Aryan actresses to play Wanda Maximoff when her father is a Jewish Holocaust survivor and her mother was a member of the persecuted Romani ethnic group, and whose heritage has been heavily featured in various storylines, under the rationale that "Whatever, we can just change her hair color or whatever," is actually kinda offensive. And before you say it, I'm not saying "Literally find a gypsy village girl from fictional Wundagore to play this role or you're all mega-racists," but when both of the two "top choices" for the part look the way that they do, you bet your rear end that they should be called out on it.

Which, incidentally, makes all these "They should just cast the actress best suited for the role!" arguments pretty silly. A) That's a false equivalence; there's literally nothing saying that they can't cast an girl who looks the part who is also the best suited for the role. B) Clearly they're not even looking for someone who isn't blonde and blue-eyed, so how the heck can they know if anyone else might be suited for the role?

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...
In the rich tradition of slamming two things nerds love into each other: Tatiana Maslany for Scarlet Witch.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Is it possible that Marvel cannot refer to her connection to Jews and the Roma in Avengers 2 because those elements of her backstory are found in X-Men books or linked to Magneto?

I have a feeling that Avengers 2 may be focusing on the twins as the main characters, so the movie will contain their origins as well as Ultron's, and later they will get their own films in Phase 3. Marvel do appear to be moving away from the Phase 1 characters.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Tripwyre posted:

In the rich tradition of slamming two things nerds love into each other: Gary Busey for Wonder Man.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

BrianWilly posted:

...Evidently I wasn't clear enough in my point, otherwise I really hope people are being very facetious right now.

My point was that looking for vanilla-white Aryan actresses to play Wanda Maximoff when her father is a Jewish Holocaust survivor and her mother was a member of the persecuted Romani ethnic group, and whose heritage has been heavily featured in various storylines, under the rationale that "Whatever, we can just change her hair color or whatever," is actually kinda offensive. And before you say it, I'm not saying "Literally find a gypsy village girl from fictional Wundagore to play this role or you're all mega-racists," but when both of the two "top choices" for the part look the way that they do, you bet your rear end that they should be called out on it.

Which, incidentally, makes all these "They should just cast the actress best suited for the role!" arguments pretty silly. A) That's a false equivalence; there's literally nothing saying that they can't cast an girl who looks the part who is also the best suited for the role. B) Clearly they're not even looking for someone who isn't blonde and blue-eyed, so how the heck can they know if anyone else might be suited for the role?

How mad were you about the black Viking in Thor?

I'm not a fan of Full House so don't really want her as scarlet witch. It sucks Kat Dennings already has a marvel role because she would be believable as a crazyeyed magician with daddy issues. Plus she has black hair!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I'm not a fan of Full House so don't really want her as scarlet witch.

People who weren't fans of Hunger Games and Expendables 2 still watched Thor and Avengers.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I'm not a fan of Full House so don't really want her as scarlet witch. It sucks Kat Dennings already has a marvel role because she would be believable as a crazyeyed magician with daddy issues. Plus she has black hair!

You're really turned off by this because the actress' sisters were on a show you didn't care for 20 years ago?

Edit: I'm not a fan of Bosom Buddies so I don't see why I should want this Colin Hanks fellow to play a role.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

The MSJ posted:

People who weren't fans of Hunger Games and Expendables 2 still watched Thor and Avengers.

That's the wrong Hemsworth.

e: disregard I only skimmed the posts and am an idiot.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Bradley Cooper offered Rocket Raccoon in Guardians. Huh.

thenakedflip
Feb 22, 2005
I think it's a little premature to say that things aren't building up to Avengers 2. So far the only phase 2 movie that's been released has been Iron Man 3, I think that actually has some foreshadowing of Ultron in it. Nothing on the nose but I can see how they can easily incorporate it.

I think each Avengers movie will signify the end of a chapter/phase and so far it's just really too early to think otherwise.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

LAME.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

...Not very? Because, for one thing, that was a case of adding diversity instead of erasing it, and Heimdall's ethnicity has virtually nothing whatsoever to do with his character or storyline, and there is precedence for Marvel comics Asgardians to be racially diverse anyway? At the time I was pretty neutral about the affair.

And mind you, I didn't breathe a word about Scarlet Witch's casting when Saorise Ronan was the only name thrown around; the problem for me is that now we've gotten two examples of what the director/producers are looking for to play their Wanda and both of them are about as far from Wanda's ethnicity as you can get, which tells me this is yet another case of Hollywood's racial glass ceiling in the casting booth; acceptably-hegemonic white folks first, literally everyone else second, or never. Let's say Olsen decides to pass on the role, for whatever reason; who will they approach next? Taylor Swift?

The fact that you've conflated every discussion about race in films as some kind of Klannish overreaction is kind of worrying.

Tripwyre posted:

In the rich tradition of slamming two things nerds love into each other: Tatiana Maslany for Scarlet Witch.
This would unadulteratedly be awesome. It's really too bad she's probably too busy working on her show right now.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 22, 2013

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Bleh, what? Like I like Bradley Cooper alright but there's nothing particularly distinctive about his voice. I wasn't actually expecting H. John Benjamin, but I was hoping for someone with a voice just as good.

Oh yeah also add me to the list of people that wouldn't have really given this movie much thought if it weren't for the raccoon

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

BrianWilly posted:

...Not very? Because, for one thing, that was a case of adding diversity instead of erasing it, and Heimdall's ethnicity has virtually nothing whatsoever to do with his character or storyline, and there is precedence for Marvel comics Asgardians to be racially diverse anyway? At the time I was pretty neutral about the affair.

And mind you, I didn't breathe a word about Scarlet Witch's casting when Saorise Ronan was the only name thrown around; the problem for me is that now we've gotten two examples of what the director/producers are looking for to play their Wanda and both of them are about as far from Wanda's ethnicity as you can get, which tells me this is yet another case of Hollywood's racial glass ceiling in the casting booth; acceptably-hegemonic white folks first, literally everyone else second, or never. Let's say Olsen decides to pass on the role, for whatever reason; who will they approach next? Taylor Swift?

The fact that you've conflated every discussion about race in films as some kind of Klannish overreaction is kind of worrying.

I think you're overreacting, you can't assume that the directors are looking for an "Aryan"-looking woman to play Scarlet Witch based on two casting choices, especially when they're going to have to dress her up in curly brown hair anyway. There are plenty of famous actresses without blonde hair too, I'm sorry to bust your weird Aryan casting glass ceiling theory.

Yeah its a total dick move that they're just casting white women to play the Scarlet Witch and we need more non-white roles in pretty much every form of media, but I wouldn't even put 100% of that blame on Hollywood considering she gets drawn in comics as a white woman with brown hair all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Macaluso posted:

Bleh, what? Like I like Bradley Cooper alright but there's nothing particularly distinctive about his voice. I wasn't actually expecting H. John Benjamin, but I was hoping for someone with a voice just as good.

Oh yeah also add me to the list of people that wouldn't have really given this movie much thought if it weren't for the raccoon

I don't know, I'm thinking of his manic Face in the A-team and it doesn't seem so bad. Though there's far more interesting choices, granted.

• Locked thread