Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

caboodle posted:

When I picked up the first issue and there was no Richard Ryder, I was a little bit sick in my mouth :-(

Why?

Needs more Madman
Madman/Superman

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So Nova is pretty amazing and you should be reading it, but #7 is incredible:

Those are some pretty wicked toe claws SpOckder-Man is walking around with.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

caboodle posted:

When I picked up the first issue and there was no Richard Ryder, I was a little bit sick in my mouth :-(

The letters section from pretty much every issue hints (with the subtlty of a brick) that Rider will return soon.
For now, just enjoy this. The replacement is actually pretty good.

caboodle
Oct 28, 2009

Abnett's version of Ryder/Nova in the Annilhation mini series and then his run in the short live Nova book where he was the last corpsman were immense.
Infact I'd go so far as to say they were some of the best comics I've ever read.
It was disappointing to see him replaced with a "Blue Beetle" style kiddy friendly kid.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

caboodle posted:

Abnett's version of Ryder/Nova in the Annilhation mini series and then his run in the short live Nova book where he was the last corpsman were immense.
Infact I'd go so far as to say they were some of the best comics I've ever read.
It was disappointing to see him replaced with a "Blue Beetle" style kiddy friendly kid.

Well a major part of his comic was him restarting the corps. Also while Starlord returned from Cancerverse we do not know how and if Ryder was able to.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I hope if Richard Ryder returns, he comes in on a space horse and uses it as transportation. The Surfer has a board, so let's get a horse that gallops through space.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Just have them print a BraveStarr comic.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Gatts posted:

I hope if Richard Ryder returns, he comes in on a space horse and uses it as transportation. The Surfer has a board, so let's get a horse that gallops through space.

I'm now picturing him riding through space on a golden unicorn that leaves a rainbow trail in its wake. I don't care how idiotic that sounds, I want this to happen now.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Gatts posted:

There's precedent for that.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

"Hmm, what's that down there? Oh, alien spaceship. Meh, whatevOH MY GOD IT"S A HORSE!"

Esplanade fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 21, 2013

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Gatts posted:

He's just riding Beta Ray Bill piggyback

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dacap posted:

I would adore this.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Dacap posted:

Beta Ray Bill and Thor in a dodgy pantomime horse costume.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

What is going on with his foot there?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Spocks? He gave the Spidey suit claws and poo poo.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Spocks? He gave the Spidey suit claws and poo poo.

Seriously? He made terror-toes for his Spider-Man suit? Why the gently caress for?

God dammit. I used to love Spider-man. :/
Everything's so weird these days.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

What's so important in Superior Spider-Man 14 that we have to be told it takes place before hand?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Drifter posted:

Seriously? He made terror-toes for his Spider-Man suit? Why the gently caress for?

I stopped reading Spider-Man awhile back since I can't relate to a character who makes deals with the devil, but I have to say everything I've heard about Doctor Spiderpus has sounded pretty amazing.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Drifter posted:

Have you heard the good word about Newspaper Spiderman?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Leper Residue posted:

What's so important in Superior Spider-Man 14 that we have to be told it takes place before hand?

New costume.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

GorfZaplen posted:

Plane Spider-Man is the best Spider-man.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
Now you have to post who got him on the plane.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Mike From Nowhere posted:

Now you have to post who got him on the plane.

Seriously, that's like 80% of the payoff.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

caboodle posted:

RyderNova was originally a kid friendly kid hero. Marv Wolfman wanted a more Spidey like character while Adam Warlock and Captain Marvel were tripping balls in space.

DnA's Nova was cool and all, but an essential part of the character was lost when he grew up. SamNova is easily the best teen hero right now, with only Quentin Quire from WatXM as any sort of competition.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
Am I the only person who think that Quire should have stayed dead/ascended? He was so much more interesting that way.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Heresiarch posted:

Am I the only person who think that Quire should have stayed dead/ascended? He was so much more interesting that way.

Really? He was pretty one note in his Morrison appearances and he only really became a character after he returned.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

You can't show Newspaper Spider-Man and a truck without this beaut

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

bobkatt013 posted:

Really? He was pretty one note in his Morrison appearances and he only really became a character after he returned.

I disagree with all of this, essentially. Quire in the Morrison run had fairly complicated motivations, was a symptom of a larger problem, and represented a kind of conflict that the X-Men don't have to deal with very often. After he came back, he just turned supervillain and that's really, really boring.

So it sounds like the answer to my question was "yes", but I'm okay with that.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Heresiarch posted:

I disagree with all of this, essentially. Quire in the Morrison run had fairly complicated motivations, was a symptom of a larger problem, and represented a kind of conflict that the X-Men don't have to deal with very often. After he came back, he just turned supervillain and that's really, really boring.

He's like, the main character of WatXM and he's been a bit anti heoric, but he's on the side of the angels.

Seriously though, the book should be New X-Men Academy, or just "Quire".

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Drifter posted:

Because it makes him superior. That's Doc Ock's hang-up, being a better Spider-Man than Spider-Man (and turning Spider-Man into a crackling villain on the way, complete with henchmen, lair, gigantic spider-bots, blackmail, total surveillance, murder, hoarding super-weapons and super-villains in stasis etc).

Read The Superior Foes of Spider-Man though:

The Superior Foes of Spider-Man #2

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

WickedHate posted:

He's like, the main character of WatXM and he's been a bit anti heoric, but he's on the side of the angels.

Seriously though, the book should be New X-Men Academy, or just "Quire".

I haven't read any WatXM because I refuse to participate in the snarled and incestuous mutant continuity any longer (the only Marvel book I'm reading right now is Hawkeye) but everything before that with him was garbage. I didn't realize he was in WatXM and I'll concede that maybe they're doing okay things with him.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Heresiarch posted:

I haven't read any WatXM because I refuse to participate in the snarled and incestuous mutant continuity any longer (the only Marvel book I'm reading right now is Hawkeye) but everything before that with him was garbage. I didn't realize he was in WatXM and I'll concede that maybe they're doing okay things with him.

I can't recommend it enough. Quire is awesome in it, the character is the biggest draw. And I, for one, am happy that he is no longer drawn by whoever did him in New X-Men.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Heresiarch posted:

I haven't read any WatXM because I refuse to participate in the snarled and incestuous mutant continuity any longer (the only Marvel book I'm reading right now is Hawkeye) but everything before that with him was garbage.
Hey, I found your problem!

The X-books are better than they've been in years, and the last few years have been pretty goddamn good, so it's a high bar and they are hurdling the poo poo out of it. Quentin Quire is great and WatXM is great. Uncanny and All-New are also both amazing, although they don't have Quentin Quire in them which is too bad.

Wait, no, he shows up in All-New sometimes too. And he hits on Jean Grey, but that's in WatXM again.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The only problem I have with Quire in WATXM is that they returned him to his "too big for his britches little teenager" look and didn't keep his "super-punchable punkish young adult" look from... whatever that stupid event where he returned was. I understand why, they basically couldn't have done any of what they did with him if he looked that much older than the other students, but it was such a perfect look for his character.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

I'm sorry. I believe you all, I promise, but I am not going back to reading any X-books again. I'm clean now and every time I see something from the recent books (teen Jean Grey? what?) I feel like thirty years of continuity twister is going to come flowing out my nose and ears.

I mean, I read the conclusion of the original Dark Phoenix comic when it came out. I had just turned seven and it blew my goddamn mind. And now I have all of these years of tangled-up bits of alternate X-timelines and temporal paradoxes and multiple versions of the same character and I am just done with it now.

I am reading Hawkeye because it is awesome and requires absolutely no knowledge of continuity to enjoy it (and I was never an Avengers reader in the first place), but I am otherwise pretty much finished with Marvel for the time being.

I shouldn't have commented on the Quire business because I was obviously not up to speed.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Heresiarch posted:

I'm sorry. I believe you all, I promise, but I am not going back to reading any X-books again. I'm clean now and every time I see something from the recent books (teen Jean Grey? what?) I feel like thirty years of continuity twister is going to come flowing out my nose and ears.

I mean, I read the conclusion of the original Dark Phoenix comic when it came out. I had just turned seven and it blew my goddamn mind. And now I have all of these years of tangled-up bits of alternate X-timelines and temporal paradoxes and multiple versions of the same character and I am just done with it now.

I am reading Hawkeye because it is awesome and requires absolutely no knowledge of continuity to enjoy it (and I was never an Avengers reader in the first place), but I am otherwise pretty much finished with Marvel for the time being.

I shouldn't have commented on the Quire business because I was obviously not up to speed.

I'm not going to argue your viewpoint or anything, but man, are you a wet loving blanket.

You're making GBS threads on comics without really knowing anything about them.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Leper Residue posted:

I'm not going to argue your viewpoint or anything, but man, are you a wet loving blanket.

You're making GBS threads on comics without really knowing anything about them.

Dude. I'm not saying they're not good. I'm saying I have no more room. This is a problem with me, not the books.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Heresiarch posted:

Dude. I'm not saying they're not good. I'm saying I have no more room. This is a problem with me, not the books.

They put Bendis on the lead X-Men books and the first thing he did was pretty much go "Ok, all that needing to know 30 years of backstory poo poo? That's loving done." Yes, the teen X-Men from the 60's are running around, but the entire stance on continuity right now can be totally summed up by the panel posted a few pages back from the last issue of All New X-Men where Rachel "oh god the alternate universe paradoxes burn" Grey meets Teen Jean:

(All New X-Men 15)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The art for that pages reminds me so much of Subnormality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

C. Everett Koop posted:

You can't show Newspaper Spider-Man and a truck without this beaut

Newspaper Spider-Man is hilariously inept without needing edits.

• Locked thread