Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Madoka's weapon is a bow, Homura is her prophet, so post-ascension she wields a bow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

HondaCivet posted:

I have a question about Homura actually... I love how she doesn't have any real offensive powers and thus has to use real guns and bombs to fight. She starts off beating barrels with a golf club but it seems like she does eventually develop some other powers, like using her time thing as a shield and I think we see some levitation/flying in the Walspurginacht-or-whatever fight. Then after the Madokapocalypse she's got a cool bow? Do magical girls just get more powerful over time or what?

I think all magical girls have sort of a "baseline" set of abilities and attributes they can use their magic for in addition to whatever abilities/weapons are conferred on them due to their wish. Homura was shown shooting energy blasts at Kyubey for example and of course she used her magic to completely fix her sickly body and become an athletic freak. I'd imagine it's the same for everyone else.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HondaCivet posted:

I have a question about Homura actually... I love how she doesn't have any real offensive powers and thus has to use real guns and bombs to fight. She starts off beating barrels with a golf club but it seems like she does eventually develop some other powers, like using her time thing as a shield and I think we see some levitation/flying in the Walspurginacht-or-whatever fight. Then after the Madokapocalypse she's got a cool bow? Do magical girls just get more powerful over time or what?

Well, consider that Homura's wish was heavily focused on Madoka. Madoka doesn't exist in the new universe. What was her wish, and what powers did it grant? It's probably symbolic, since Madoka also wielded an energy bow. Fun fact: Homura was originally supposed to be using that bow more than modern weapons, if my memory of the character concepts is to be believed.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
The bow might be magical without specifically relating to her powers, anyway-- remember when Mami souped up Sayaka's dumb bat?

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Homura displayed other powers too like telekinesis, I imagine she didn't use some of those extra powers very often because they likely consume a lot of magic. I think most of those extra abilities, like it was already posted, are baseline abilities most/all magical girls have.

Homura displayed all those extra powers probably as a result of being the longest living magical girl, thus by far the most experience.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

HondaCivet posted:

:sweatdrop: It isn't even out in Japan yet though, right? How soon could we hear news?

Her time thing is a shield so you'd hope she'd be able to use it as a shield. :v:

Levitation, high-jumping and air-dashing seem to be generic magical girl things (see Mami floating to give Gertrud a 21 gun salute to the face, Sayaka flying and hacking her way through Elsa Maria when she loses her loving mind.) Magical girls can also come up with new tricks; in the PSP game it's explained that Mami's original ability was to make ribbons and she figured out how to make muskets and flintlock pistols out of them for reasons.

And Homura was in fact the one who had a bow in the original design docs.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

HondaCivet posted:

:sweatdrop: It isn't even out in Japan yet though, right? How soon could we hear news?

It's mostly experience and adaptation of powers. Homura's wish can be broken down into several aspects: It is a breach of causality, hence time stop powers. It is also a wish to protect, hence her shield and defensive powers. If not for the guns, she fights best as part of a pair, with someone who has a good ranged offense.

Strength, speed, toughness, along with superjump and levitation are abilities all of them get, though at different skills and efforts. Knowing the secret of soulgems also helps here, you can turn off pain, enhance performance, heal chronic conditions, and more. They can also magically enhance stuff to do more damage, Homura likely enhances her guns and bombs so they are more effective on Witches for example.

Magic being magic, you really could do just about anything with it, given enough skill and power. Mami, as mentioned, was like Homura, she had no direct offensive powers at all, so she researched guns, and with a lot of experimentation, managed to create muskets(which, incidentally, were the most complex firearms she could manage with magic). Her true power is binding things. Homura couldn't do the same because she just doesn't have the magical reserves that Mami had, better to steal and enhance guns.

Madoka used magic once to give Moemura a boost during P.E, which led to her legs going berserk while running. Presumably Madoka wasn't very good at the skill aspect. Kyouko's own magic is illusions(because of her wish for people to believe her father), which she mainly used to make illusory clones.

You can see Mami and Kyouko being much better at magic, creating barriers and all kinds of complicated stuff freely. That's probably down to experience and thus, skill. Madoka and Sayaka in contrast, don't do much magic successfully outside of their own specialties.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Homura's time-thingie is a buckler, a famous type of small shield commonly used by archers, because it was the only type of shield they could use that wouldn't get in the way of firing, though it did come at the cost of weighing down their arm.

Notable things we didn't see in the anime as I recall:

Kyouko and Mami knew each other before the show started. Kyouko was trained by Mami and used to have a power that allowed her to create clones of herself, I think kinda like Naruto. She presumably had to cry out like Mami's Tiro Finale for this type of ability. She lost this ability when her father committed suicide because her wish became corrupted. This suggests to me that the power of any magical girl is deeply tied into their wish and not a determination of over time. This makes it a pretty convenient plot device for the author since it intensifies any drama you'd want.

Presumably Homura's power seems to be about time, but it seems to follow a trend I see very often in Japanese games and stuff where control over time actually means "Time & Space", as her magical buckler seems to function as a portable bag of holding. Convenient storage place surely. Her power that ties in with her wish and is her most powerful ability seems to be her power to rewind time, not stopping it or store away firearms, but to unravel the fabric of time back to the date of her wish.

Some inconsistencies with that seems to be that she seems to enter that time period at different spots in episode 10. Sometimes she arrives before she and Madoka met, being able to stop Kyubey from making a contract, while the first time Madoka and Homura met seemed to imply Madoka had already made a contract. Of course, that could mean she just ran up to Madoka who had yet not made a contract and confessed that she's a magical girl to a very confused Madoka.

gently caress, that's kind of sad. :negative:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

Notable things we didn't see in the anime as I recall:

Some inconsistencies with that seems to be that she seems to enter that time period at different spots in episode 10. Sometimes she arrives before she and Madoka met, being able to stop Kyubey from making a contract, while the first time Madoka and Homura met seemed to imply Madoka had already made a contract. Of course, that could mean she just ran up to Madoka who had yet not made a contract and confessed that she's a magical girl to a very confused Madoka.

This wasn't addressed directly but if I remember correctly it's shown that there was a period of roughly a week(?) or so between the day she rewinds to and the day she actually begins school, and it's within this period that Madoka contracts. Madoka doesn't contract during this time in later cycles because Homura had long since started trying to prevent it.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Super Jay Mann posted:

This wasn't addressed directly but if I remember correctly it's shown that there was a period of roughly a week(?) or so between the day she rewinds to and the day she actually begins school, and it's within this period that Madoka contracts. Madoka doesn't contract during this time in later cycles because Homura had long since started trying to prevent it.

Yeah, that's it.

If you pause when you see the calender in episode 10, you can see two dates circled. Presumably one is when Homura is released from the hospital, and the other is when she is supposed to transfer in. Presumably she simply just arranges things somehow so that she transfers in earlier.

Speaking of "somehow", I find it weird that Homura is the only character that we don't know about the status of her parents.

Madoka: Really close to her parents and an integral part of her character development
Sayaka: Lives with her parents, not really too important though
Mami: Dead parents, catalyst for survivor's guilt
Kyouko: Tragically dead parents, catalyst for every aspect of her character
Homura: No loving clue. The nameplate on her house says "Homura" on it though so presumably they aren't around for whatever reason? Maybe she used magic to wipe their memories or something so she could go live in a house with a giant living room arranged like a clock with a pendulum going back and forth (seriously Homura you're making Mami calling her attacks look normal here).

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Aug 22, 2013

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Super Jay Mann posted:

That does make sense.

jonjonaug posted:

Homura: No loving clue. The nameplate on her house says "Homura" on it though so presumably they aren't around for whatever reason? Maybe she used magic to wipe their memories or something so she could go live in a house with a giant living room arranged like a clock with a pendulum going back and forth (seriously Homura you're making Mami calling her attacks look normal here).
I know it could be construed they are alive, but there are heavy implications they died in whatever accident put Homura in the hospital bed or at least left her life after that point.

Possibly a big part to do with her initial depression when walking home from school, having failed at basically everything and having no family to comfort her as she gets home.

Not too surprising that she then transfers her feelings over to Madoka for support.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

Kyouko was trained by Mami and used to have a power that allowed her to create clones of herself. She lost this ability when her father committed suicide because her wish became corrupted.

This isn't entirely true.

The Different Story spoilers: Kyouko does manage to use her clone ability to avoid being shot by Mami.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
^^
She stopped using her illusion power because she had her illusions shattered by her father's murder-suicide. It reminds her too much of her wish, and in turn, the consequences. It's a psychological block, not an actual one.

Mordaedil posted:

That does make sense.

I know it could be construed they are alive, but there are heavy implications they died in whatever accident put Homura in the hospital bed or at least left her life after that point.

Possibly a big part to do with her initial depression when walking home from school, having failed at basically everything and having no family to comfort her as she gets home.

Not too surprising that she then transfers her feelings over to Madoka for support.

Naw, Homura was in hospital due to chronic illness, she has a congenital heart problem which kept her bouncing in and out of hospital. I think her parents work out of town or something.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
How does that work anyway? I see it a lot in anime where teenagers live alone in an apartment, how is that legal?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cubemario posted:

How does that work anyway? I see it a lot in anime where teenagers live alone in an apartment, how is that legal?

My understanding is that it's not super uncommon for (rich) parents to get their high-school aged children an apartment near their school if it's all the way across town (which it often is because of the system where children apply for the schools they want to enter, rather than just being assigned the nearest one). That's obviously different than the parents being out of the country, but it's plausible the same set of laws cover it.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Keep in mind that there's a "stories for children" aspect to this. Part of any good childhood fantasy involves not having parents around to tell you what to do. Even when there are parents in these stories, they aren't generally involved aside from being narrative devices. Look at examples in western stories: Alice in Wonderland, The Chronicles of Narnia, Neverending Story, Ferris Bueller, Stand By Me, Harry-loving-Potter, etc. There's definitely a cross-cultural thing going on here.

For that reason, I don't put much stock in the idea that the way in which anime characters generally have no or uninvolved parents offers any particular cultural insight, despite the fact that the conspicuous absence might be dressed in a culturally appropriate and acceptable facade. I've heard arguments about how it reflects Japanese parenting and work ethic, for example; and to a degree it might. But I think that factor takes a back seat to the simple need to get the parents the hell out of the narrative for a kid to go on a meaningful adventure. It's not just about the childhood fantasy of no authority figures, either. It also has to do with self discovery and passage to adulthood as well.

Of course this story subverts that whole point with Madoka's caring and involved family who actually get screen time. I think that says less about how the point is incorrect or moot and more about the quality of writing in the show though, given that it subverts pretty much every other expectation as well.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Mordaedil posted:

Homura's time-thingie is a buckler, a famous type of small shield commonly used by archers, because it was the only type of shield they could use that wouldn't get in the way of firing, though it did come at the cost of weighing down their arm.

:aaa:

OK maybe this is a dumb question but it's been bugging me, it's about Homura again . . . Maybe I missed something but why does Homura get so enamored with Madoka over the other girls? She doesn't seem to give a poo poo about saving any of the rest of them in the very end (although she'll help out in one-off battles). I know she and Mami fight a bit in the first couple episodes but at least in the beginning (as shown in Ep. 10) they were all fighting and training together it seemed like.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
^^
The additional materials help a bit.
Madoka was her first friend ever. The other students weren't very kind about her sucking at academics(because she's never stayed in school for very long before getting hospitalized again), and sports(because she has a goddamned heart problem). Madoka gave her kindness and support, then saved her life. Madoka was also the only one who never really changed throughout the time loops. No matter the circumstance or cost, she's a kind and self sacrificing girl.

She idolized and respected Mami as a senior, but this was ruined as she went down the time loops, when Mami became one of the biggest obstacles to saving Madoka. Nearly dying to Mami when she learned the truth was a horrible shock. Mami is strong, but brittle. She'd save Mami if she could(see her attempt at intervening with Charlotte), but no more than that.

Sayaka she knew in passing from Madoka, but in later loops, whenever Sayaka contracts, she puts everyone at risk. Doomed from the start and a lost cause.

Kyouko is, I suspect, less of a friend, more of a useful tool. She's strong, experienced and doesn't have any delusions which might backfire.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Yen Press has licensed The Different Story and plans on releasing the first volume early next year.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

jonjonaug posted:

Yen Press has licensed The Different Story and plans on releasing the first volume early next year.
That's something I'm going to look forward to. I've been happy with some other Yen Press manga localizations I've bought, so I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Who says Madoka can't be educational? Not I.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

what does that even mean

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

They're the exceptions to the prohibition on the use of hearsay as evidence in the US legal system.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

IIRC there was some weird blog or tumblr or something that was this weird juxtaposition of law school jokes illustrated with Madoka images, and I presume that's where the above is from.

edit: VVV yay goons :shobon:

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 25, 2013

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Indeed, you're talking about my Tumblr

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Bro Enlai posted:

I knew that art style looked familiar...

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Bro Enlai posted:

I don't really understand tumblr, but I like your comic.
Also your views on AA and white privilege, which the daily show taught me about.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Website updated.

New magical girl.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

I was wondering if we were going to get a Green Ranger or White Ranger, since we already have Red, Yellow, Blue, Pink, and Black.

White it is then.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
I'm sure our new magical girl will be treated with the utmost respect and won't have to endure horrible things or anything.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Gen Urobuchi: "I want to torment much younger girl!"

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Looking up some more details...

Crunchyroll posted:

A new key visual for Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie Part III: Rebellion, the third and final instrument in the Madoka film trilogy, is revealed to the Japanese media today. The art introduces a new magical girl named Nagisa Momoe for the first time. She is voiced by Kana Asumi (Yuno in the Hidamari Sketch anime series), but other details about the character are unknown.

Well then, looks like Yuno is finally in Madoka Magica. Glad to see they're keeping the "using a possible first name for both first/last names" in the naming scheme for the new character.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Time for wild speculah. She's an incubator made human via a wish and will destabilize the new system. Or she's a witch. Or Homura's daughter from the future. Or Madoka's little brother.

Also, confirmed showings this winter in the US? Hell yes.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

She's either a stand-in for Oriko/Yuma, a stand-in for Kazumi, a way to cheat in a Madoka-like magical girl while keeping Madoka ultimate or she'll be dead by the end of the movie.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Well, Yuma would be Green Ranger, so maybe?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Oh god. Why does her dress and everything make me think Charlotte? She's even very close to Mami.

drat you Gen Urobochi.

Also the green ranger is Hitomi, but clearly would be too dangerous if she became a magical girl.

According to the radio dramas they are at least very worried about Kyubey recruiting her.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Mordaedil posted:

Oh god. Why does her dress and everything make me think Charlotte? She's even very close to Mami.

drat you Gen Urobochi.

Also the green ranger is Hitomi, but clearly would be too dangerous if she became a magical girl.

According to the radio dramas they are at least very worried about Kyubey recruiting her.

What, is she a karma case like Madoka thanks to Sayaka Witching out every timeline she contracts?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

MadRhetoric posted:

What, is she a karma case like Madoka thanks to Sayaka Witching out every timeline she contracts?

It does not really say:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRb44w_EaYw&t=420s

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Sep 5, 2013

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Ok but seriously, why do so many shows color-code the characters? I'm noticing it more and more and I keep wondering where it comes from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
It's an easy visual shorthand to differentiate characters and makes it easier to distinguish who is doing what in a fight scene that can get seriously confused. The color also describes the personality, you generally will find the red one being aggressive, the pink being a softy, etc, so it takes less effort to convey the character.

• Locked thread